[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Good is Fury Historically?  (Read 919 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
How Good is Fury Historically?
« on: April 22, 2022, 01:30:44 PM »
I honestly don't know much about boxing but didn't realize Tyson Fury is undefeated.  Will this fight tomorrow be competitive?

JWags85

• All American
Re: How Good is Fury Historically?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »
I honestly don't know much about boxing but didn't realize Tyson Fury is undefeated.  Will this fight tomorrow be competitive?

I think he's kind of been hurt by the fact that the Heavyweight class is a bit watered down.  He's definitely top 10 of all time in his class, probably sniffing around top 5.  Behind Foreman, Holmes, and Ali.  Then you got that cluster of Lennox Lewis, Joe Frazer, Tyson, and Fury, IMO.

I don't think tomorrow will be much of a fight.  I would really like to see him take on Usyk, thats about all he's got left.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »
I think he's kind of been hurt by the fact that the Heavyweight class is a bit watered down.  He's definitely top 10 of all time in his class, probably sniffing around top 5.  Behind Foreman, Holmes, and Ali.  Then you got that cluster of Lennox Lewis, Joe Frazer, Tyson, and Fury, IMO.

I don't think tomorrow will be much of a fight.  I would really like to see him take on Usyk, thats about all he's got left.

I admit I couldn't identify Fury if he sat down next to me, it's been so long since I watched boxing.

But are you really saying that this guy is one of the top 10 heavyweights in the history of boxing? I'm not doubting you because I don't know, but that's something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »
While it's always hard to compare eras, not sure I'd rate him top 10, maybe 11-15. Other than Wilder, who besides being a big puncher was very mechanical, not particularly high skilled, his best win is against Wlad Klitschko, but he was also a couple years past his prime. He took about a 3 year break in his career to sort out some mental health issues, so that also works against him in an all time list, he only has 32 pro fights to this point. As he accomplishes more I could see him breaking into a top 10, but not yet.
Fighters I would rate higher in no particular order due to skills and accomplishments, Ali, Louis, Marciano, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Teofilo Stevenson, Holmes.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 03:53:17 PM »
I admit I couldn't identify Fury if he sat down next to me, it's been so long since I watched boxing.

But are you really saying that this guy is one of the top 10 heavyweights in the history of boxing? I'm not doubting you because I don't know, but that's something.

He's REALLY damn good, and just has an incredible chin.  The worst thing for his legacy will be the weakness of the weight class, which is out of his control.  Its not like he's ducked anyone.

While it's always hard to compare eras, not sure I'd rate him top 10, maybe 11-15. Other than Wilder, who besides being a big puncher was very mechanical, not particularly high skilled, his best win is against Wlad Klitschko, but he was also a couple years past his prime. He took about a 3 year break in his career to sort out some mental health issues, so that also works against him in an all time list, he only has 32 pro fights to this point. As he accomplishes more I could see him breaking into a top 10, but not yet.
Fighters I would rate higher in no particular order due to skills and accomplishments, Ali, Louis, Marciano, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Teofilo Stevenson, Holmes.

That Klitschko fight was also before Fury really had come into his own as a fighter, and he still dominated it.

Nobody is gonna confuse him for Joe Lewis, but Derek Chisora was a really respected fighter who got a title shot against Klitschko in Chisora's prime, and Fury absolutely took him apart twice.

There are a bunch of decent to good heavyweights in the last decade who have 1 or 2 losses total in their career, and they are all Fury.

I expect Whyte to be the same sort of situation as Otto Wallin or Tom Schwarz

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
Okay.  Again,  I have no idea but he is 6'9 280 with apparently solid overall skills.  I wonder how good Shaq would have been as a boxer?  If you can stick a consistent jab with that height and length it can't be easy for your opponent.  From the little I've seen he can unload his right hand with lethal force pretty consistently.  I suppose it's too late to add him to my entourage and staff of bodyguards.  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:58:30 PM by MuggsyB »

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »
He's REALLY damn good, and just has an incredible chin.  The worst thing for his legacy will be the weakness of the weight class, which is out of his control.  Its not like he's ducked anyone.

That Klitschko fight was also before Fury really had come into his own as a fighter, and he still dominated it.

Nobody is gonna confuse him for Joe Lewis, but Derek Chisora was a really respected fighter who got a title shot against Klitschko in Chisora's prime, and Fury absolutely took him apart twice.

There are a bunch of decent to good heavyweights in the last decade who have 1 or 2 losses total in their career, and they are all Fury.

I expect Whyte to be the same sort of situation as Otto Wallin or Tom Schwarz

No doubt he's been the best HW the last 5 years or so, but when trying to rank him from a historical standpoint, I said 11-15, and listed 10 I would rank above him due to overall accomplishments, longevity, impact on the sport, etc.

His 3 year hiatus after beating Wlad takes away from his overall standing in my opinion. Only 5 real world title fights and 3 of those against Wilder.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 11:46:28 AM »
One hell of a horse and TV series, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 09:17:00 PM »
Fury has size and skills and definitely is in top 20 all time  He does get knocked down a lot though. However he does have a strong chin and a lot of endurance .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 12:00:17 AM »
Three of the 5 greatest pound for pound fighters ever were under 150 lbs.  :)