[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cremation over burial  (Read 4421 times)

MU82

• All American
Cremation over burial
« on: April 19, 2022, 01:09:03 PM »
Here's an interesting discussion about the growing trend toward cremation over burial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/04/18/cremation-death-funeral/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F369ec06%2F625ed8f664253a7f343c4bd6%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F54%2F72%2F625ed8f664253a7f343c4bd6

It offers some reasons about the shift, talks about some of the psychology involved, delves into religious implications, and goes into the economic impact (especially on the funeral industry).

The numbers:

In 2020, 56 percent of Americans who died were cremated, more than double the figure of 27 percent two decades earlier, according to the Cremation Association of North America (CANA). By 2040, 4 out of 5 Americans are projected to chose cremation over casket burial, according to both CANA and the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Cremation over burial
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:19:13 PM »
They have urned the right to choose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »
I have a burning desire to learn more about the subject.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
Burn me up. Dump me in a lake. Have a party.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:40:03 PM »

Do we have to wait for you to die first?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 02:04:28 PM »

Like we would know anyway.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »
It offers some reasons about the shift, talks about some of the psychology involved, delves into religious implications, and goes into the economic impact (especially on the funeral industry).

I actually had a similar topic discussion with my wife a few weeks ago when we passed a cemetery near the first house I grew up in.  Its been there since well before I was born in the 80s, but its filled up EXTREMELY slowly and honestly looks like its hardly grown in occupancy at all. 

Which then pivoted to my Grandfather who passed away a few years ago.  He was cremated at his request, which seemed interesting for a very staunch and traditional Catholic.  But a large reasoning was he was to be laid to rest in Sheboygan where he grew up and lived the majority of his life, but he was a full time resident of Florida in his later years and didn't want his family to bear the expense of transporting his body.  Ashes is far easier and cheaper.  Ever pragmatic and prudent, even in death  ;D

But the psychology of it, as bolded, was interesting.  I know some people like to have the whole open casket and body presented for "closure" but I didn't feel myself lacking in that during his memorial service.  I had heavy heart and significant emotions stepping into his home office in Florida for the first time after he was gone.  Or looking at pictures of us, etc...  But there was none of the soul crushing brutality which sometimes goes along with a traditional funeral/wake with a lifeless body of a loved one present.  And it was kind of freeing.  I don't feel like I missed something or needed more, but I was able to focus on the best times and grieve in my own way, without the request morbid dread/sadness during a funeral/burial/etc...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
Do we have to wait for you to die first?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

:D :D :D
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
Cremation.  Land is too precious.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 03:02:29 PM »
I have a very specific plan and will be cremated quickly, dropped in the Pacific Ocean, and become a Humpback or Blue Whale in due time. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 03:04:22 PM »
I don't know that they need to go the full cremation route. With food prices going up, better to just skewer me on a spit and roast me. My funeral party can be a personalized version of The Last Supper.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 03:09:35 PM »
I have a very specific plan and will be cremated quickly, dropped in the Pacific Ocean, and become a Humpback or Blue Whale in due time.

Wouldn't it be better to be ground into krill feed then?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »
I don't know that they need to go the full cremation route. With food prices going up, better to just skewer me on a spit and roast me. My funeral party can be a personalized version of The Last Supper.

You're a modern Jonathan Swift brew. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
Soylent Green.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 03:35:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to be ground into krill feed then?

Perhaps....I need to think this through.  All I know is that  I'm torn between having a 600 inch vert or patrolling the waters peacefully with grace and incomparable power. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 03:40:20 PM »
I actually had a similar topic discussion with my wife a few weeks ago when we passed a cemetery near the first house I grew up in.  Its been there since well before I was born in the 80s, but its filled up EXTREMELY slowly and honestly looks like its hardly grown in occupancy at all. 

Which then pivoted to my Grandfather who passed away a few years ago.  He was cremated at his request, which seemed interesting for a very staunch and traditional Catholic.  But a large reasoning was he was to be laid to rest in Sheboygan where he grew up and lived the majority of his life, but he was a full time resident of Florida in his later years and didn't want his family to bear the expense of transporting his body.  Ashes is far easier and cheaper.  Ever pragmatic and prudent, even in death  ;D

But the psychology of it, as bolded, was interesting.  I know some people like to have the whole open casket and body presented for "closure" but I didn't feel myself lacking in that during his memorial service.  I had heavy heart and significant emotions stepping into his home office in Florida for the first time after he was gone.  Or looking at pictures of us, etc...  But there was none of the soul crushing brutality which sometimes goes along with a traditional funeral/wake with a lifeless body of a loved one present.  And it was kind of freeing.  I don't feel like I missed something or needed more, but I was able to focus on the best times and grieve in my own way, without the request morbid dread/sadness during a funeral/burial/etc...

Thanks for this contribution, Wags.

I remember when my parents were discussing what they wanted to happen to their bodies once they died. After my dad said he thought he'd want to be cremated, my mom responded: "Cremated? I don't want to be burned to death!" Which made us all laugh as we discussed a very difficult, sad subject. After my mom died and was buried, my dad changed his mind; when he died a year later, he was buried next to my mom.

My oldest brother and I recently spent a week in Phoenix golfing, and this subject actually came up. He goes and visits our parents' gravesites a couple of times a year, says it makes him feel more connected to them spiritually. But I said that while I respected that, I had no interest in doing so because I think about them every single day and don't feel a need to sit at a gravesite to recall all of my fond memories of them. He accepted that.

My brother is more religious than I am (most people are), and he wants to be buried in the same cemetery as our parents. My wife and I already have designated cremation as part of our trust, living will and other documents. We're pragmatic, like your grandfather.

I have told the kids that it would be great if the family could gather in Kauai for a "happy memories ceremony" and sprinkle my ashes at Queen's Bath, one of my favorite spots in the world. But if circumstances prevent such a long trip, it obviously won't matter to me. On account of me being dead and all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »
Burn me to a rotten crisp and toast me for a while
I could really give a sh*t, I'm going out in style.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »
Burn me to a rotten crisp and toast me for a while
I could really give a sh*t, I'm going out in style.

Murphys?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 04:36:53 PM »
during my senior year of HS a guy i was kinda freinds with died in a freak car wreck. At the funeral i was surprised to see that it was an open casket deal. The family just dressed him up in jeans and a badger hoodie. It was very unsettling to look at this cold corpse in sports gear. Since then i always leaned towards cremation. The idea if i passed suddenly my family would prop me in MU socks and a packer shirt, then stuff me with preservatives and put me in a coffin was always an awkward one. Spreading my ashes in nature always had some appeal to me. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »
during my senior year of HS a guy i was kinda freinds with died in a freak car wreck. At the funeral i was surprised to see that it was an open casket deal. The family just dressed him up in jeans and a badger hoodie. It was very unsettling to look at this cold corpse in sports gear. Since then i always leaned towards cremation. The idea if i passed suddenly my family would prop me in MU socks and a packer shirt, then stuff me with preservatives and put me in a coffin was always an awkward one. Spreading my ashes in nature always had some appeal to me.

Thats light work compared to some of the insanity in Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries when it comes to dressing embalmed bodies.  I'll never not be amused by pictures of a body dressed in gold chains and jewelry, or a flat brim hat or jersey, propped up playing dominoes or at a table at their wake.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 04:51:45 PM »
Thats light work compared to some of the insanity in Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries when it comes to dressing embalmed bodies.  I'll never not be amused by pictures of a body dressed in gold chains and jewelry, or a flat brim hat or jersey, propped up playing dominoes or at a table at their wake.
See The bizzare green latern one as well :o

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
Pretty good TV mini-series.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10413648/?msclkid=dcef6e0fc02c11ecb92613e70c297076

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 07:49:53 PM »
Perhaps....I need to think this through.  All I know is that  I'm torn between having a 600 inch vert or patrolling the waters peacefully with grace and incomparable power.

What about the Manatees?  They need your help!

feedback