[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cremation over burial  (Read 4270 times)

MU82

• All American
Cremation over burial
« on: April 19, 2022, 01:09:03 PM »
Here's an interesting discussion about the growing trend toward cremation over burial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/04/18/cremation-death-funeral/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F369ec06%2F625ed8f664253a7f343c4bd6%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F54%2F72%2F625ed8f664253a7f343c4bd6

It offers some reasons about the shift, talks about some of the psychology involved, delves into religious implications, and goes into the economic impact (especially on the funeral industry).

The numbers:

In 2020, 56 percent of Americans who died were cremated, more than double the figure of 27 percent two decades earlier, according to the Cremation Association of North America (CANA). By 2040, 4 out of 5 Americans are projected to chose cremation over casket burial, according to both CANA and the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Cremation over burial
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:19:13 PM »
They have urned the right to choose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »
I have a burning desire to learn more about the subject.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
Burn me up. Dump me in a lake. Have a party.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:40:03 PM »

Do we have to wait for you to die first?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 02:04:28 PM »

Like we would know anyway.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »
It offers some reasons about the shift, talks about some of the psychology involved, delves into religious implications, and goes into the economic impact (especially on the funeral industry).

I actually had a similar topic discussion with my wife a few weeks ago when we passed a cemetery near the first house I grew up in.  Its been there since well before I was born in the 80s, but its filled up EXTREMELY slowly and honestly looks like its hardly grown in occupancy at all. 

Which then pivoted to my Grandfather who passed away a few years ago.  He was cremated at his request, which seemed interesting for a very staunch and traditional Catholic.  But a large reasoning was he was to be laid to rest in Sheboygan where he grew up and lived the majority of his life, but he was a full time resident of Florida in his later years and didn't want his family to bear the expense of transporting his body.  Ashes is far easier and cheaper.  Ever pragmatic and prudent, even in death  ;D

But the psychology of it, as bolded, was interesting.  I know some people like to have the whole open casket and body presented for "closure" but I didn't feel myself lacking in that during his memorial service.  I had heavy heart and significant emotions stepping into his home office in Florida for the first time after he was gone.  Or looking at pictures of us, etc...  But there was none of the soul crushing brutality which sometimes goes along with a traditional funeral/wake with a lifeless body of a loved one present.  And it was kind of freeing.  I don't feel like I missed something or needed more, but I was able to focus on the best times and grieve in my own way, without the request morbid dread/sadness during a funeral/burial/etc...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
Do we have to wait for you to die first?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

:D :D :D
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
Cremation.  Land is too precious.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 03:02:29 PM »
I have a very specific plan and will be cremated quickly, dropped in the Pacific Ocean, and become a Humpback or Blue Whale in due time. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 03:04:22 PM »
I don't know that they need to go the full cremation route. With food prices going up, better to just skewer me on a spit and roast me. My funeral party can be a personalized version of The Last Supper.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 03:09:35 PM »
I have a very specific plan and will be cremated quickly, dropped in the Pacific Ocean, and become a Humpback or Blue Whale in due time.

Wouldn't it be better to be ground into krill feed then?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »
I don't know that they need to go the full cremation route. With food prices going up, better to just skewer me on a spit and roast me. My funeral party can be a personalized version of The Last Supper.

You're a modern Jonathan Swift brew. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
Soylent Green.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 03:35:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to be ground into krill feed then?

Perhaps....I need to think this through.  All I know is that  I'm torn between having a 600 inch vert or patrolling the waters peacefully with grace and incomparable power. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 03:40:20 PM »
I actually had a similar topic discussion with my wife a few weeks ago when we passed a cemetery near the first house I grew up in.  Its been there since well before I was born in the 80s, but its filled up EXTREMELY slowly and honestly looks like its hardly grown in occupancy at all. 

Which then pivoted to my Grandfather who passed away a few years ago.  He was cremated at his request, which seemed interesting for a very staunch and traditional Catholic.  But a large reasoning was he was to be laid to rest in Sheboygan where he grew up and lived the majority of his life, but he was a full time resident of Florida in his later years and didn't want his family to bear the expense of transporting his body.  Ashes is far easier and cheaper.  Ever pragmatic and prudent, even in death  ;D

But the psychology of it, as bolded, was interesting.  I know some people like to have the whole open casket and body presented for "closure" but I didn't feel myself lacking in that during his memorial service.  I had heavy heart and significant emotions stepping into his home office in Florida for the first time after he was gone.  Or looking at pictures of us, etc...  But there was none of the soul crushing brutality which sometimes goes along with a traditional funeral/wake with a lifeless body of a loved one present.  And it was kind of freeing.  I don't feel like I missed something or needed more, but I was able to focus on the best times and grieve in my own way, without the request morbid dread/sadness during a funeral/burial/etc...

Thanks for this contribution, Wags.

I remember when my parents were discussing what they wanted to happen to their bodies once they died. After my dad said he thought he'd want to be cremated, my mom responded: "Cremated? I don't want to be burned to death!" Which made us all laugh as we discussed a very difficult, sad subject. After my mom died and was buried, my dad changed his mind; when he died a year later, he was buried next to my mom.

My oldest brother and I recently spent a week in Phoenix golfing, and this subject actually came up. He goes and visits our parents' gravesites a couple of times a year, says it makes him feel more connected to them spiritually. But I said that while I respected that, I had no interest in doing so because I think about them every single day and don't feel a need to sit at a gravesite to recall all of my fond memories of them. He accepted that.

My brother is more religious than I am (most people are), and he wants to be buried in the same cemetery as our parents. My wife and I already have designated cremation as part of our trust, living will and other documents. We're pragmatic, like your grandfather.

I have told the kids that it would be great if the family could gather in Kauai for a "happy memories ceremony" and sprinkle my ashes at Queen's Bath, one of my favorite spots in the world. But if circumstances prevent such a long trip, it obviously won't matter to me. On account of me being dead and all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »
Burn me to a rotten crisp and toast me for a while
I could really give a sh*t, I'm going out in style.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »
Burn me to a rotten crisp and toast me for a while
I could really give a sh*t, I'm going out in style.

Murphys?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 04:36:53 PM »
during my senior year of HS a guy i was kinda freinds with died in a freak car wreck. At the funeral i was surprised to see that it was an open casket deal. The family just dressed him up in jeans and a badger hoodie. It was very unsettling to look at this cold corpse in sports gear. Since then i always leaned towards cremation. The idea if i passed suddenly my family would prop me in MU socks and a packer shirt, then stuff me with preservatives and put me in a coffin was always an awkward one. Spreading my ashes in nature always had some appeal to me. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »
during my senior year of HS a guy i was kinda freinds with died in a freak car wreck. At the funeral i was surprised to see that it was an open casket deal. The family just dressed him up in jeans and a badger hoodie. It was very unsettling to look at this cold corpse in sports gear. Since then i always leaned towards cremation. The idea if i passed suddenly my family would prop me in MU socks and a packer shirt, then stuff me with preservatives and put me in a coffin was always an awkward one. Spreading my ashes in nature always had some appeal to me.

Thats light work compared to some of the insanity in Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries when it comes to dressing embalmed bodies.  I'll never not be amused by pictures of a body dressed in gold chains and jewelry, or a flat brim hat or jersey, propped up playing dominoes or at a table at their wake.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 04:51:45 PM »
Thats light work compared to some of the insanity in Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries when it comes to dressing embalmed bodies.  I'll never not be amused by pictures of a body dressed in gold chains and jewelry, or a flat brim hat or jersey, propped up playing dominoes or at a table at their wake.
See The bizzare green latern one as well :o

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
Pretty good TV mini-series.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10413648/?msclkid=dcef6e0fc02c11ecb92613e70c297076

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 07:49:53 PM »
Perhaps....I need to think this through.  All I know is that  I'm torn between having a 600 inch vert or patrolling the waters peacefully with grace and incomparable power.

What about the Manatees?  They need your help!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 08:16:54 PM »
What about the Manatees?  They need your help!

That have been grossly mistreated and it beyond inexcusable.  Bur I prefer to bit more mobile and and athtetic than the mighty manatees. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
I’m with Willie Nelson - “Roll me up and smoke me when I die”.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2022, 08:37:55 PM »
That have been grossly mistreated and it beyond inexcusable.  Bur I prefer to bit more mobile and and athtetic than the mighty manatees.

And Newsie might run you over with his yacht and make bacon out of you. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 08:40:00 PM »
And Newsie might run you over with his yacht and make bacon out of you.

They're constantly under attack. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2022, 09:53:25 PM »
Does cremation have a larger carbon foot print than burial?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2022, 10:04:16 PM »
I’m with Willie Nelson - “Roll me up and smoke me when I die”.

Lenny, I'll roll the joints at meat summit XXXIII.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2022, 10:51:49 PM »
I’m going to be stuffed and placed in the corner of my wife’s bedroom. Hawaiian shirt, lei, sunglasses, party hat, posed with a jaunty wave of the hand. And those sneakers with wheels so it’s easy to wheel me out for parties.  ;D

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2022, 07:48:21 AM »
Not cremation, but my FIL is donating his body to a med school.   His father did the same.

He's had it set up for a while .. he contacts them every few years to make sure everything is in order.  I can only imagine the phone call at the other end:

"So, George, uh, how can I put this .. how you doing?  How's the ticker?  I mean, we've got a BIG class coming in and low inventory.  You eatin' right and exercising?  ...   Oh.  <sigh>"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »

When my father passed a few years ago we had an open casket but he was still cremated and his ashes were actually buried probably because they had bought plots 40 years earlier.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2022, 08:40:08 AM »
Lenny, I'll roll the joints at meat summit XXXIII.

Twopack Scoopur?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »

This is an interesting subject...and one I've been thinking about an awful lot over the past year and a half. I lost my brother in November 2020 and my father this past December. Neither had an open casket. I was very happy about this and, frankly, might have stayed out of the room if there had been an open casket. I really don't like it. My mother said to me that for a couple decades after her mother's death, whenever she thought of her mother the visual that flooded her mind was the open casket. I wanted to avoid that. My preference will be to not have an open casket, but I do understand that some people feel that they "need" that for closure. I think it's sensible to have a provision that would allow that for a very limited group of people who feel they "need" it (e.g., spouse, children, siblings, and parents...but nobody else) and then closed for everyone else.

My brother was cremated and interred in a cemetery. My father was buried in the same cemetery maybe 75 yards away. It actually was a bit of a coincidence as my father had purchased his plot many years earlier. I think I would prefer cremation. It's much cheaper and I see no reason to not do it. Burial is extremely expensive and, I think, wasteful. I think I prefer some of the family cremation monuments I've seen as opposed to just being another slot in a wall.

I heard a podcast recently on human composting as a new alternative. I find it intriguing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
This is an interesting subject...and one I've been thinking about an awful lot over the past year and a half. I lost my brother in November 2020 and my father this past December. Neither had an open casket. I was very happy about this and, frankly, might have stayed out of the room if there had been an open casket. I really don't like it. My mother said to me that for a couple decades after her mother's death, whenever she thought of her mother the visual that flooded her mind was the open casket. I wanted to avoid that. My preference will be to not have an open casket, but I do understand that some people feel that they "need" that for closure. I think it's sensible to have a provision that would allow that for a very limited group of people who feel they "need" it (e.g., spouse, children, siblings, and parents...but nobody else) and then closed for everyone else.

My brother was cremated and interred in a cemetery. My father was buried in the same cemetery maybe 75 yards away. It actually was a bit of a coincidence as my father had purchased his plot many years earlier. I think I would prefer cremation. It's much cheaper and I see no reason to not do it. Burial is extremely expensive and, I think, wasteful. I think I prefer some of the family cremation monuments I've seen as opposed to just being another slot in a wall.

I heard a podcast recently on human composting as a new alternative. I find it intriguing.

A belated condolences for your losses, SAW.

There's no "right" or "wrong" on any of this. It's such a personal experience for the survivors.

After my dad died, we did it similar to the way you described. The casket was opened only briefly, and only for immediate family who wanted to see him one last time. That seemed the best way to let all survivors get what they felt they needed out of the experience.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »
My wife's family does the open casket thing. It usually doesn't even really look like the person. When you've passed all of your muscles are completely relaxed so your face looks different. I'd prefer to remember my time with them rather than needing to see the body. It may be that I grew up with closed casket funerals & cremations. Tradition can really take hold when it comes to death rituals.

Interesting to think about. Practically, that's a lot of meat to compost. I think it would be easier to use ash as a soil amendment, like one of those tree urns.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 05:20:39 PM »
My wife's family does the open casket thing. It usually doesn't even really look like the person. When you've passed all of your muscles are completely relaxed so your face looks different. I'd prefer to remember my time with them rather than needing to see the body. It may be that I grew up with closed casket funerals & cremations. Tradition can really take hold when it comes to death rituals.

Interestingly enough, most of my experience and tradition has been open casket. As I said above, I strongly prefer closed. Even when they do a really "good" job preparing the body, it just doesn't look "right". And I was well into adulthood before I was aware of anyone I knew being cremated, and I prefer that also.

Interesting to think about. Practically, that's a lot of meat to compost. I think it would be easier to use ash as a soil amendment, like one of those tree urns.

I was shocked to hear how quickly it happens -- they say six to eight weeks.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 05:20:59 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »
I want a lavish and expensive funeral.  I want at least two dozen keynote speakers and praised between sobs and tears.  It would be good if I was displayed in public like former Soviet leaders for billions to visit yearly to pay their respects.  Most importantly, I want a note that says “He never lost and argument on Scoop” to be prominently displayed
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
I want a lavish and expensive funeral.  I want at least two dozen keynote speakers and praised between sobs and tears.  It would be good if I was displayed in public like former Soviet leaders for billions to visit yearly to pay their respects.  Most importantly, I want a note that says “He never lost and argument on Scoop” to be prominently displayed
With the typo?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 07:46:01 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2022, 08:21:09 PM »
Never seen such a sorry bunch of quitters in my life. Just don't die!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2022, 08:25:00 PM »

Put me down for 2 bits for the Rico is reeko party fund.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »

As much as this is a joke, it's the truth. I'll be dead, who cares? Feed me to the worms, grind my bones to make bread, burn me up, or stick me in the ground, it won't make no nevermind to me.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2022, 09:16:10 AM »
As much as this is a joke, it's the truth. I'll be dead, who cares? Feed me to the worms, grind my bones to make bread, burn me up, or stick me in the ground, it won't make no nevermind to me.

Funerals, memorials and such are not for the dead, they're for the living.

My brother visiting our parents' gravesites isn't for our parents, it's for him. It's not something I want to do or feel a need to do, but I get why he does it.

But yes, I really don't care much what happens to my body after I'm gone except that I do hope being registered as an organ donor can help others. I'm not claiming to be noble in that regard; I know that many Scoopers also have signed up to be donors.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2022, 02:44:29 PM »
My girlfriend is a registered organ donor.  Beyond that, she wants her remains to be fed to the wolves in the wild.  And she's dead serious about that. 

Not sure how to convince the organ harvesters that it's OK to release her gutted corpse back to her family to get this plan executed... 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »
Funerals, memorials and such are not for the dead, they're for the living.

My brother visiting our parents' gravesites isn't for our parents, it's for him. It's not something I want to do or feel a need to do, but I get why he does it.

But yes, I really don't care much what happens to my body after I'm gone except that I do hope being registered as an organ donor can help others. I'm not claiming to be noble in that regard; I know that many Scoopers also have signed up to be donors.
<Puts on tin foil hat> Careful announcing you are an organ donor, the paramedics will take the long route to the hospital if you are in an ambo. They get paid to get organ donations <Takes off tin foil hat>

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2022, 03:44:31 PM »
<Puts on tin foil hat> Careful announcing you are an organ donor, the paramedics will take the long route to the hospital if you are in an ambo. They get paid to get organ donations <Takes off tin foil hat>

Actually…..
https://youtu.be/Sp-pU8TFsg0

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2022, 07:41:38 PM »

I know a guy who knows a guy who got drunk in Mexico one night and woke up in a bath tub of ice missing one of his kidneys.
True story.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2022, 07:54:22 PM »
I know a guy who knows a guy who got drunk in Mexico one night and woke up in a bath tub of ice missing one of his kidneys.
True story.

WTF??

I'd recommend the movie Dirty Pretty Things if you haven't seen it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2022, 08:13:11 PM »
I’m going to be stuffed and placed in the corner of my wife’s bedroom. Hawaiian shirt, lei, sunglasses, party hat, posed with a jaunty wave of the hand. And those sneakers with wheels so it’s easy to wheel me out for parties.  ;D

Inspired by “Weekend at Bernie’s”?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2022, 06:13:56 AM »
WTF??

I'd recommend the movie Dirty Pretty Things if you haven't seen it.

He's describing a well known urban myth.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2022, 06:33:19 AM »
I had a good friend who unexpectedly passed away during the height of Covid (not of Covid). He was an accomplished musician and a beer connoisseur.

There was no service at the time of his cremation, but once the world opened up somewhat, his wife threw a huge party that was basically a big jam session with all of his musician friends. They served his favorite barbecue and craft beer and his wife brought his extensive collection of Hawaiian and Guayabera shirts and invited all the guys to take one home.

Best memorial service ever. No tears, just great memories and great friends.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2022, 06:54:25 AM »

Brother Warrior:

Many of my close relatives have gone to their eternal reward. Very few had open caskets.

When family members die, I don't want to see their lifeless body laying in a box. They're already dead and they're not there.

I want to remember my parents as full of life, full of energy and people who took advantage of the opportunities presented to them. Same for my grandparents, in-laws and my late sister. I have a standing rule that unless it's someone very close and it's very offensive not to view the body, I don't. I'll go to visitation and pay my condolences to the survivors, but I tend to try to stay away from a morbid display of a dead body.

As to how I want to go, I have told my children I want my worldly possessions converted to gold coins when I die. They should get a ultra-extra large casket, put my body in it and put the coins around my body. Like hell, I can't take it with me!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »
his wife threw a huge party that was basically a big jam session with all of his musician friends. They served his favorite barbecue and craft beer and his wife brought his extensive collection of Hawaiian and Guayabera shirts and invited all the guys to take one home.

Best memorial service ever. No tears, just great memories and great friends.

Mine will be the opposite.  Arby's will be served and everyone will be sad, and even sadder a few hours later.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2022, 09:37:37 AM »
Mine will be the opposite.  Arby's will be served and everyone will be sad, and even sadder a few hours later.

Will you be embalmed in Arby's sauce, cheddar sauce, or horsey sauce?

Imma gonna go with a mix of all 3.  (Really the only option, TBF.)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2022, 09:59:14 AM »
Will you be embalmed in Arby's sauce, cheddar sauce, or horsey sauce?

Imma gonna go with a mix of all 3.  (Really the only option, TBF.)

Ever hear of water cremation?  Horsey Sauce cremation is faster and sends your beloved off on a spicy note.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »
Very Interesting topic/thread ! ! !  Well, my dad never wanted to talk about dying and burials. He said he had seen enuf death while  fighting in WWII  for 4 yrs including being in the Battle of the Bulge ....Understood by all!!  He got full Military Honors and is buried at the VA here in Milw...My mom, on the other hand, didn't have a problem discussing it. She had said she wanted to buried with my dad, (which is allowed) but she was told because of the limited area, that she would be buried on top of my dad (double stacked).  She was fine with it.  We were all a little older already when one day we were talking about burials, she reiterated her being with my dad, when she says," oh yea, that's ok to put me on top, because Dad always liked me on Top"..  Laughed our butts off...   As for me... I told my wife and family, I want to be Cremated, as I say that I have taken up enuf space on this earth ALIVE, don't waste anymore land/area for eternity, just Cremate me ! ! !    8-)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:09:15 AM by Ardmore Mug »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2022, 09:39:24 AM »
Just being pedantic, if he fought for 4 years after the Battle-of the Bulge, he’s in some major trouble, as the war in Europe ended a few months after that battle and WWII ended less than a year after the battle. ;D
Was at an event in December honoring living WWII vets, including my dad. What an amazing generation. The stories they told were stunning and like your dad focused on life and friendship rather than death.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2022, 11:06:39 AM »
OOPPPSSSS  Duhhh...  Late night and Bourbon night...  I fixed it    Thnx  ! !

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2022, 06:05:47 PM »
My dad also fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Didn't talk about it much. What a thing that must have been.

As pbi says, truly an amazing generation that saved the world.