[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 07:47:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91109 times)

YaBlueIt

• Starter
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #775 on: January 17, 2023, 10:06:03 AM »
Thought the first episode was excellent. Pretty much a shot for shot adaptation of the game with a few additions that worked well. Shows succes will depend on Paschal and Ramseys chemistry. Characters just met so understandably they are wary but I saw some of that trademark banter in Joel's apartment. Excited for more

Agreed. As a huge fan of the games, I love how faithful the show is to the source material. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the pacing. Will season 1 go all the way to the end of the first game?

I also have to wonder if they'll be able to get people hooked who are not familiar with the games. Do non-fans have a reason to pick this up?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:09:08 AM by YaBlueIt »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #776 on: January 17, 2023, 10:29:56 AM »
Agreed. As a huge fan of the games, I love how faithful the show is to the source material. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the pacing. Will season 1 go all the way to the end of the first game?

I also have to wonder if they'll be able to get people hooked who are not familiar with the games. Do non-fans have a reason to pick this up?

My understanding is that season 1 will cover the entirety of the first game and will introduce elements of the second game. The rumor is that a second season will cover the entire second game and that will be the show. I'm hoping they stretch the second game into two seasons, I think they have a ton to work with there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #777 on: January 17, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
My understanding is that season 1 will cover the entirety of the first game and will introduce elements of the second game. The rumor is that a second season will cover the entire second game and that will be the show. I'm hoping they stretch the second game into two seasons, I think they have a ton to work with there.

That's a great call - Part II should definitely be split into two seasons. They could really expand on the first act of the game if they wanted to. Regardless, it'll be interesting how they approach the structure and pacing, lots of ways to go with it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #778 on: January 17, 2023, 11:33:22 AM »
That's a great call - Part II should definitely be split into two seasons. They could really expand on the first act of the game if they wanted to. Regardless, it'll be interesting how they approach the structure and pacing, lots of ways to go with it.

Not just the first act, but the time period between the ***prologue*** and the first act.  It's just a couple of cut scenes in the game but there's a lot of opportunity for more depth there.

***Intentionally vague to avoid spoilers.***

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #779 on: January 17, 2023, 12:37:06 PM »
Not just the first act, but the time period between the ***prologue*** and the first act.  It's just a couple of cut scenes in the game but there's a lot of opportunity for more depth there.

And the time period between the ***epilogue*** and the second act as well.

When I finished the second game I thought about the possibility of a TLOU movie trilogy. I thought it would be cool to do the first movie through the perspective of Ellie (the first game), the second through the perspective of Abby (new material that shows her life before the second game) and the the third as the collision course between the two (the second game with hopefully more balanced sympathies between the two). While I think it would have been a cool idea, an HBO show is such a better outcome.

There are also pretty solid signs that there there will be a third game but it's likely far in the future. My hope is they don't Game of Thrones it by releasing a season about the third game before the game comes out. Given that the creator is more directly involved with this project than Martin was with GOT it would probably be better, but I still don't see that being successful.
TAMU

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #780 on: January 17, 2023, 12:54:35 PM »

Yeah I guess that's what I meant by first act - but we're on the same page. I would love for the show to expand on that part of the story more, and fill in the gaps between what we already know.

I think a third season would focus on the events after the prologue.

There are also pretty solid signs that there will be a third game but it's likely far in the future.

Do you mean signs like you've heard that Naughty Dog is working on Part III?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:56:39 PM by YaBlueIt »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #781 on: January 17, 2023, 01:00:22 PM »
Yeah I guess that's what I meant by first act - but we're on the same page. I would love for the show to expand on that part of the story more, and fill in the gaps between what we already know.

I believe that Druckmann said he believes there is more story to tell after the 2nd game but he didn't get more specific than that in regards to if anything is actually in development now. 

This is going to be a big hit so it feels like a 2nd season is a forgone conclusion.  I like the idea of splitting that into two seasons because it was such a massive game with multiple points of view. Would be interesting how they approach because each perspective lends itself to who the real "villain" is, if there is one at all. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #782 on: January 17, 2023, 01:01:50 PM »

Druckmann has said that he's already got an outline and script, but the game is not officially in development yet.  Part II was announced in 2016 and didn't drop until 2020.  Especially with games taking longer to develop than ever before, the late 2020's would be the earliest you should expect the third.  That being said, the story has made and is continuing to make too much money not to have a third installment.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #783 on: January 17, 2023, 02:13:38 PM »
Druckmann has said that he's already got an outline and script, but the game is not officially in development yet.  Part II was announced in 2016 and didn't drop until 2020.  Especially with games taking longer to develop than ever before, the late 2020's would be the earliest you should expect the third.  That being said, the story has made and is continuing to make too much money not to have a third installment.

I think the third will be the last. Game 1 showed Joel's downfall and redemption. Game 2 was Ellie's downfall. I think Game 3 covers Ellie's redemption to complete the cycle.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #784 on: January 17, 2023, 02:29:01 PM »
I think the third will be the last. Game 1 showed Joel's downfall and redemption. Game 2 was Ellie's downfall. I think Game 3 covers Ellie's redemption to complete the cycle.

Agreed, I think they'll wrap it up as a trilogy.  Timeline wise it will be a bit interesting though.  Naughty Dog is currently developing Factions, which takes place in TLOU universe, but is just online (more info supposed to come this calendar year but no release date as of yet).  Then it will be interesting to see what they do next, whether it be P3 or the sci-fi game they're rumored to be developing.  They got TLOU up and running before they finished Uncharted, so it would fit that they would want to get their new IP started before wrapping TLOU, so it could be quite a while before we see the conclusion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #785 on: January 17, 2023, 08:32:21 PM »
MU gear sighting on Oak Island.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #786 on: January 17, 2023, 09:19:18 PM »

I didn’t even know it had anything to do with a game until a few days ago. My wife and I just watched Ep1 and it was the best thing I’ve seen on TV in quite some time. Thrilling and engrossing.

I guess I need to try hard to avoid spoilers, though. Kind of like with all the people I knew who had read GoT.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #787 on: January 18, 2023, 07:22:53 AM »
MU gear sighting on Oak Island.

Was just going to mention it took Peter Fornetti a few months to break out.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #788 on: January 18, 2023, 07:42:50 AM »
I didn’t even know it had anything to do with a game until a few days ago. My wife and I just watched Ep1 and it was the best thing I’ve seen on TV in quite some time. Thrilling and engrossing.

I've never heard of the game or the show until seeing this thread. I watched the trailer yesterday and it looks good -- although another show that I would be watching alone. The trailer reminded me of McCarthy's The Road.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #789 on: January 18, 2023, 09:10:48 AM »
Really liked The Menu, especially having spent 30 years of my life in the biz. Definitely resonated when Tyler was made to cook. Especially the shallots.

Finally watched it.  There was a ton of dark humor, but my god this scene was incredible.  From the crudely drawn "nametag" to the snarky response by Chef to everything Tyler requested or prepared, incredible.

Really didn't expect that kind of movie, and really didn't see a lot of the directions it took.  But really enjoyed it.

Anna Taylor-Joy does a really interesting job of picking out roles, credit to her.  She has a uniqueness about her look and her facial acting and really seems to gravitate to material that highlights that.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #790 on: January 18, 2023, 10:10:49 AM »
Anna Taylor-Joy does a really interesting job of picking out roles, credit to her.  She has a uniqueness about her look and her facial acting and really seems to gravitate to material that highlights that.

Agree that she does a great job aligning her roles with her strengths.  Probably partly the roles and partly what she brings to them.  One exception, I thought, was her role in The Northman.  I was pretty let down by her character, though that was more the writing than her fault.  I'm a huge Eggers-stan, though, and given the brilliance of The Witch (don't @ me) and its importance in launching her career, I can't fault her for jumping at the part.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #791 on: January 18, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
TLOU gets second largest debut audience in HBO Max history behind only House of the Dragon (which blows it and everyone else away).

If this show ends up being successful as it seems like it's going to be, I think it could end up causing some paradigm shifts in hollywood. TV and movie adaptations always seem to take the approach of "new but familiar story", tweaking the source material to make it "better for television". TLOU seems to be bucking that trend and just delivering a straight adaptation with only very minor and well thought out tweaks. It may be a little sad, but audiences seem to not want new, they just want what they know, just in a new format.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
TLOU gets second largest debut audience in HBO Max history behind only House of the Dragon (which blows it and everyone else away).

If this show ends up being successful as it seems like it's going to be, I think it could end up causing some paradigm shifts in hollywood. TV and movie adaptations always seem to take the approach of "new but familiar story", tweaking the source material to make it "better for television". TLOU seems to be bucking that trend and just delivering a straight adaptation with only very minor and well thought out tweaks. It may be a little sad, but audiences seem to not want new, they just want what they know, just in a new format.

I don't think it's necessarily "anti-new", but more "new isn't as good as the source material".  Keeping with Naughty Dog, the Uncharted Movie completely re-wrote major story elements (Nate and Sully origin, Nate and Sam origin, completely eliminated Elena, etc.), yet I still thought it was extremely well done.  Sampling from the source material with Nate and Chloe's flirtatious relationship, the falling out of a plane scene, the treasure in a pirate ship element, getting Nolan North to make a cameo etc.   You could still very much tell that it was an "Uncharted" story, but it was an Uncharted story that hadn't been told yet. 

I think TLOU can do this as well, putting in additional material in areas that were just addressed with a simple cut scene in the games (travelling from cities to cities for example).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #793 on: January 18, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »
I don't think it's necessarily "anti-new", but more "new isn't as good as the source material".  Keeping with Naughty Dog, the Uncharted Movie completely re-wrote major story elements (Nate and Sully origin, Nate and Sam origin, completely eliminated Elena, etc.), yet I still thought it was extremely well done.  Sampling from the source material with Nate and Chloe's flirtatious relationship, the falling out of a plane scene, the treasure in a pirate ship element, getting Nolan North to make a cameo etc.   You could still very much tell that it was an "Uncharted" story, but it was an Uncharted story that hadn't been told yet. 

I think TLOU can do this as well, putting in additional material in areas that were just addressed with a simple cut scene in the games (travelling from cities to cities for example).

You are literally the first person I have heard compliment the Uncharted movie (I haven't seen it so I can't comment either way)
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #794 on: January 18, 2023, 11:43:02 AM »
You are literally the first person I have heard compliment the Uncharted movie (I haven't seen it so I can't comment either way)

Really?  I thought it was good, not at the level of TLOU, but seeing at it was designed to be a history meets action Indiana Jones-esque movie, I think it has a lower ceiling by default.  As it connected to the games, I had no problems with the tweaks they made.  Certainly nothing compared to the Tomb Raider/Assassins Creed/Need for Speed's of the cinematic adaptations of video games world.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #795 on: January 18, 2023, 01:04:05 PM »
Really?  I thought it was good, not at the level of TLOU, but seeing at it was designed to be a history meets action Indiana Jones-esque movie, I think it has a lower ceiling by default.  As it connected to the games, I had no problems with the tweaks they made.  Certainly nothing compared to the Tomb Raider/Assassins Creed/Need for Speed's of the cinematic adaptations of video games world.

41% on Rotten Tomatoes. I've also seen a lot of memes surrounding the TLOU premiere along the lines of, "TLOU fans get this masterpiece, Uncharted fans got Marky Mark"
TAMU

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #796 on: January 18, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »
It may be a little sad, but audiences seem to not want new, they just want what they know, just in a new format.

I don't think it's necessarily "anti-new", but more "new isn't as good as the source material". 

Yup.  Rings of Power comes to mind as does this JRRT quote: "the canons of narrative in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often precisely in exaggeration, and in the intrusion of unwarranted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies."

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #797 on: January 18, 2023, 01:16:46 PM »
41% on Rotten Tomatoes. I've also seen a lot of memes surrounding the TLOU premiere along the lines of, "TLOU fans get this masterpiece, Uncharted fans got Marky Mark"

To each their own.  I thought it was good and actually think that a truly faithful adaptation to any of the games would be pretty disappointing.  They just don't tell a story the way TLOU does and so "new" material is necessary IMO. 

I still think you can introduce new material and still have a quality and successful adaptation.  The 2018 live action short with Nathan Fillion was excellent, and wasn't based on anything canon from the games.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #798 on: January 18, 2023, 01:20:56 PM »
I thought Uncharted was a fun popcorn movie and I had no idea it was affiliated to a video game until my kids informed me.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2023, 02:45:12 PM »
Finally watched it.  There was a ton of dark humor, but my god this scene was incredible.  From the crudely drawn "nametag" to the snarky response by Chef to everything Tyler requested or prepared, incredible.

Really didn't expect that kind of movie, and really didn't see a lot of the directions it took.  But really enjoyed it.

I watched the movie ONLY because of the recommendation on Scoop and I agree with every point you make, Wags.