[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where were you .........  (Read 6861 times)

77smooth

• Walk-On
Re: Where were you .........
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 05:54:46 PM »
Watched the entire game while standing on a table in the back of the third-floor lounge at Tower (what the young-'uns apparently call Carpenter now, for some reason). When the outcome was no longer in doubt, my celebrating resulted in hitting and breaking a glass ceiling light shade with my head. Only later did someone tell me to look in a mirror, when I saw all the blood streaming down the side of my face. I think I might have had a beer that night. Then made it to Hegarty's for one more beer before the crush of the crowd forced me back outside. Proceeded with the masses down Wisconsin Ave. to the lake (the rain washed off all the blood) before heading to the airport. In the crush inside the terminal, I was moving from side to side with the crowd while my feet were not on the floor. Scary. Good thing classes were canceled the next day. Never thought that would be MU's last title. Hope it isn't.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 08:07:31 PM »
I was in Brooks Memorial Union watching the big screen. Hit Wis. Ave., Wells Street in the rain,  and the airport. Rosenberger told me and my friends someone stole his gym bag with his uniform so we started looking—never found it. Had a bunch of guys crash in my apartment along with 2 parking meters and a street sign. I actually had to go to class the next day as I was told by prof another missed class and he would flunk me. So I took the Sentinel, opened the paper and there was a picture of me and my friends at the Union watching the game. One helluva night!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 09:53:18 PM »
The Omni!!!
Should have been there.  It was a blast!!!

Nah, campus was a blast. What a scene all night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 10:01:49 PM »
I was about a year and a half away from being a Marquette freshman, and I hadn't even applied to MU yet, so at the time it was not any more special to me than any other NCAA title game. I didn't like UNC, though, so I was glad Dean Smith blew it by going to the 4 corners too early and Al, Butch & Co. took advantage.

I decided to go to Marquette about 2 weeks before the 1978 NCAA tournament began, and I was very excited to watch "us" defend "our" national title. And then Miami of Ohio happened. Ugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 10:35:01 PM »
I was about a year and a half away from being a Marquette freshman, and I hadn't even applied to MU yet, so at the time it was not any more special to me than any other NCAA title game. I didn't like UNC, though, so I was glad Dean Smith blew it by going to the 4 corners too early and Al, Butch & Co. took advantage.

I decided to go to Marquette about 2 weeks before the 1978 NCAA tournament began, and I was very excited to watch "us" defend "our" national title. And then Miami of Ohio happened. Ugh.

Wow, you really are old

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 10:47:18 PM »
5th floor McCormick then out to Wells St. What a celebration!!

PickNRoll

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 11:32:43 PM »
4th floor Schroeder. Then Wisconsin Avenue. Then the Ardmore. Knew the bartender - he wouldn't let us use our mugs because they may have gotten broken. Handed out free beers instead. Never forget it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2022, 07:51:43 AM »
Was at Brooks Memorial Union on campus with my girlfriend, her best friend, several of our friends from campus and lots of beer. There was a very large television set up for the evening. I was in the horde that went down to the lake in the very cold rain that night!

Coming from a Marquette family, I remember shaking as it became apparent what was about to happen.... and feeling an overwhelming emotion I've rarely felt in my life.

I did feel a bit sad because the one person I wished I could have been with that night was my Marquette-grad father, who lived and died with Marquette for years and was back in Nashville earning a living.

The girlfriend that night has been Ms. Dgies for the past 42 years.

P.S. -- HOW MANY OF YOU STILL HAVE A WELLS STREET PARKING METER? If you were there that night, you know what I mean!

I've got some years on you dgies and watched the game in Ohio after work. The feeling you described is spot on. For me, it came on as Dean Smith went into and stayed in his four corners plan. I was first shocked, then ecstatic that he did that and knew that we would win.

I remember that I was jealous of you and all the Marquette students who were at least on campus, and especially those who were in Atlanta but jealous in "a good way" if that makes any sense. Maybe the best way to explain that is that I was living vicariously through the students and anyone at the game.

My sister called me right after the game and I screamed WE WON! so loudly that I think her ears were ringing for days afterward.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
Two friends and I on the Sunday night before game were at a bar / restaurant in MilwAukee for “double bubble “ hour and from about 6 to midnight we enjoyed.  Got the idea to fly to Atlanta lol. Drive to Chicago, got on a flight to Atlanta - we had no money and nothing with us and couldn’t even really afford the flight - it was $116 as I recall.    Drunk in the plane we were wondering what we were doing.   

Got to Atlanta, scrounged up some breakfast, went to Omni, could not find any tickets we could afford, fly back to chicsgo, driove to milwAukee and watched game on TV. Lol

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »
7 years old.
Probably sleeping as I had 2nd grade in the morning.

My dad was probably watching.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »
High School Soph in CT and was rooting for MU because I really like Jerome Whitehead at the time.  He was the college version of my JV high school self, I thought at the time.  The rebounder/defender/garbage basket guy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2022, 11:35:12 AM »
Two friends and I on the Sunday night before game were at a bar / restaurant in MilwAukee for “double bubble “ hour and from about 6 to midnight we enjoyed.  Got the idea to fly to Atlanta lol. Drive to Chicago, got on a flight to Atlanta - we had no money and nothing with us and couldn’t even really afford the flight - it was $116 as I recall.    Drunk in the plane we were wondering what we were doing.   

Got to Atlanta, scrounged up some breakfast, went to Omni, could not find any tickets we could afford, fly back to chicsgo, driove to milwAukee and watched game on TV. Lol

LOL!!  This is hilarious.

Like CT Warrior, I was a 15 year old HS Sophomore.  Watched in my family's basement rec room.  My dad's an alum and was a STH back then so I had already been following the team for years.  It was a happy night in the BrewCity83 household!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:37:10 AM by BrewCity83 »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
Watched the entire game while standing on a table in the back of the third-floor lounge at Tower (what the young-'uns apparently call Carpenter now, for some reason). Good thing classes were canceled the next day.

But they weren't.  I realize that many of us had the bottle flu, but classes were not cancelled after winning a title.  Still astonishes me. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »
sir

where did you watch the game?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2022, 12:38:32 PM »
sir

where did you watch the game?

With my dad, a passionate Marquette hoops fan, on his Zenith stereo console cabinet TV. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »
Sir

Great stuff. That was a bit before you and the Commish became friends, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »

This is the best thing I've read on the interwebs today. Hilarious. Thanks for sharing it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2022, 01:07:33 PM »
Sir

Great stuff. That was a bit before you and the Commish became friends, right?

That was my Freshman year.  We became friends Junior year.  I was in Ireland sophomore year. 
Ludum habemus.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2022, 06:56:39 PM »
The first half at my apartment in the Kenmore on 22nd and Wells and the second half at the Ardmore where some friends were tending bar.  Then the walk down to the lakefront, on to the airport and I think I went to class the next day.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2022, 07:21:11 PM »
watched the game at Roger Parr's house and then took my future wife to the Avalanche where i repiicated most  of my undergrad nights.
Whoa- Roger Parr. 
That’s a name I haven’t heard in like forever!
What a character!

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2022, 07:38:16 PM »
I enjoyed reading all of those posts. I was born a few years after, but hope one day to see a championship.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2022, 07:58:34 PM »
I made a huge bracket on a large piece of cardboard before the Big Dance started in 1977. Recorded the audio of Curt Gowdy and believe Dick Enberg with a cassette recorder placed next to the television. My Dad received a call at our house from Bob Wolf that night shortly after Marquette won saying we did it. Wore my Marquette shirt on the bus the next day.
Told Butch he saved the game near the end of the game by saving a loose ball. His Son did the same thing against Purdue and then he made 2 free throws like Rosenberger.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:02:11 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2022, 08:57:41 PM »
Tampa, FL. Watched with a college roommate, fellow sports nut, who was doubting how good MU was. Enjoyed him seeing the greatness of Al.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2022, 09:42:28 PM »

Awesome story. So much for TV being the cheaper option, heh?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2022, 12:56:41 AM »

Awesome story. So much for TV being the cheaper option, heh?

It was a fun excursion lol!  Unforgetable!

feedback