'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Just making sure I've got my MU buckets Mount Rushmore's right  (Read 10586 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Just making sure I've got my MU buckets Mount Rushmore's right
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 12:12:25 AM »
You're crazy if Markus isn't on your college only list.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 12:54:56 AM »

Not even remotely close for mine. Zero tourney wins kinda negates that choice.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 08:12:19 AM »
The Hausers can open up an ice cream stand outside the mountain.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 09:04:20 AM »

Gag me.

I liked the guy and he was a great representative of MU, but he is our version of Pete Maravich. All flash and no substance.

We didn’t win with Markus, plain and simple. We don’t carve someone on to Mt. Rushmore unless they win. What are you going to do, put Jefferson Davis on the real one?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2022, 09:09:09 AM »
Gag me.

I liked the guy and he was a great representative of MU, but he is our version of Pete Maravich. All flash and no substance.

We didn’t win with Markus, plain and simple. We don’t carve someone on to Mt. Rushmore unless they win. What are you going to do, put Jefferson Davis on the real one?

Oh FFS. All flash and no substance?

I’m not putting him on there but gimme a break.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2022, 09:17:39 AM »
I'm a huge Markus fan, but you gotta make some noise in the postseason to be on Mount Rushmore IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2022, 10:06:24 AM »
Gag me.

Pete Maravich was NPOY twice, had some very good years in the NBA, and is in the HOF.  He averaged more than 6 rebs and 5 assists at LSU. Not bad for “no substance”.  It’s not his fault his Dad was a bad coach and put terrible teams around him.

….kind of like it’s not Markus’s fault his coach didn’t know how to build an offense around him either.

It’s fine he’s not on Rushmore but acting like a first team AA who was very much in discussion for NPOY was all sizzle and no steak is just beyond foolish

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
Gag me.

lmao, he's our best college player since Wade.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2022, 12:38:32 PM »

Weak high-five game, imo

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2022, 01:38:01 PM »
100%
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 02:44:23 PM »
Marquette's four has to be:

1) Al McGuire
2) Butch Lee
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Bo Ellis

I know lots of you were not born when Lee and Ellis played for us, but think about something ... how hard has it been for Marquette to recapture the magic?

Coach McGuire, Butch and Bo brought the magic to us, period. Markus never even sniffed it. The only two guys not on that list who probably should be are Maurice Lucas and George Thompson.

There's been lots of great player before and after, but no one has done what the four have.... including Markus.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »
Pete Maravich was NPOY twice, had some very good years in the NBA, and is in the HOF.  He averaged more than 6 rebs and 5 assists at LSU. Not bad for “no substance”.  It’s not his fault his Dad was a bad coach and put terrible teams around him.

….kind of like it’s not Markus’s fault his coach didn’t know how to build an offense around him either.

It’s fine he’s not on Rushmore but acting like a first team AA who was very much in discussion for NPOY was all sizzle and no steak is just beyond foolish

When Marquette wins national championships for "great players," let me know.

As Coach McGuire once told the then-version of a five-star recruit, "I'm going to win with you or without you... you decide."

A player is no steak until our team wins. Period. End of story.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2022, 02:48:22 PM »
Marquette's four has to be:

1) Al McGuire
2) Butch Lee
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Bo Ellis

I know lots of you were not born when Lee and Ellis played for us, but think about something ... how hard has it been for Marquette to recapture the magic?

Coach McGuire, Butch and Bo brought the magic to us, period. Markus never even sniffed it. The only two guys not on that list who probably should be are Maurice Lucas and George Thompson.

There's been lots of great player before and after, but no one has done what the four have.... including Markus.

No one stated he should be there. Your statement that he was “all flash and no substance” is what people are trashing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »
No one stated he should be there. Your statement that he was “all flash and no substance” is what people are trashing.

Sister Clarissa:

I stand by my point. All flash means they didn't win anything.

As Coach Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything... it's the only thing."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2022, 02:55:55 PM »
Sister Clarissa:

Charles Barkley was all flash.  So was John Stockton and Steve Nash. No substance to any of them

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2022, 02:56:12 PM »
Sister Clarissa:

So the only reason Wade is on your list is because of the 2003 CUSA regular season championship?

Eye

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2022, 03:03:45 PM »
An argument can certainly be made that Howard has been MU's best individual player in the last 19 seasons. I'd also argue the best two-year stretch for an individual in that span was Crowder, and the second-best two-year stretch was McNeal's last two years.
GO WARRIORS!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2022, 03:30:53 PM »
So the only reason Wade is on your list is because of the 2003 CUSA regular season championship?

Sister Clarissa:

Marquette managed something under Dwyane Wade we had not accomplished in 26 years -- we reached the Final Four. To do that, we had to knock off Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Missouri and Holy Cross. We were one of the four best teams in College Basketball. DWade was the catalyst that made that happen.

I would note that it has been 19 years since that happened and we haven't been anywhere near the Final Four, other than one year where we got knocked out in the Elite 8.

Now let's look at Markus' record as a leader of our team. Again, a great young man and a good ballplayer. But we never won a single NCAA game during his tenure at Marquette. Ever.

What separates Michael Jordan from Charles Barkley is that Michael made the Bulls better. His talent and his competitive spirit drove people, some of whom were mediocre talent, to push beyond their limits. Same for Butch and Bo. Same for DWade. That's what makes these people steak rather than a flash in the pan.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »
Sister Clarissa:

Marquette managed something under Dwyane Wade we had not accomplished in 26 years -- we reached the Final Four. To do that, we had to knock off Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Missouri and Holy Cross. We were one of the four best teams in College Basketball. DWade was the catalyst that made that happen.

I would note that it has been 19 years since that happened and we haven't been anywhere near the Final Four, other than one year where we got knocked out in the Elite 8.

Now let's look at Markus' record as a leader of our team. Again, a great young man and a good ballplayer. But we never won a single NCAA game during his tenure at Marquette. Ever.

What separates Michael Jordan from Charles Barkley is that Michael made the Bulls better. His talent and his competitive spirit drove people, some of whom were mediocre talent, to push beyond their limits. Same for Butch and Bo. Same for DWade. That's what makes these people steak rather than a flash in the pan.

Devil’s Advocate: Barkley made the Suns a lot better but had Jordan’s Bulls in his way
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2022, 06:48:03 AM »
I'm not trying to disrespect George Thompson, truly, but Butch Lee was a 2x AA (not honorable mention) and NPOY and also led Marquette to a title and was a top 10 draft pick.  Wade was in the discussion for NPOY, a first team AA, and carried the team to a F4.  They were both among the 2-3 best players in college basketball their final years.  Thompson never was.
there’s a reason why Al called George Thompson ‘brute force’. George Thompson is a founding father of Marquette basketball, imo.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Sister Clarissa:

This is a stupid argument.  Markus didn't choose his teammates or his coach.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa. No he's not.

Jae Crowder.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa. No he's not.

Jae Crowder.

Markus was a better college player than Jae.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »
This is a stupid argument.  Markus didn't choose his teammates or his coach.

He did choose his coach, but I get your point.

panda

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2022, 11:48:02 AM »

Markus was a better college player than Jae.

Both were exceptional, but it's hard to argue with the team results Jae was a part of. Gotta give Jae the nod.