[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192496 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2022, 10:41:04 AM »
Did DJ Carton get appreciably better in the G League this year? He had a nice finish versus a limited start but he was pretty much what he was at MU with less minutes.

On the other hand, JLew markedly improved, especially his pro game. Maybe having Nevada Smith running the offense is a great option to get noticed on the Bucks floor versus playing in front of a few in Greensboro? I don’t think it’s so cut and dried especially with NIL potential.

DJ's G League stats per 100 possessions:
January: 17.7 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 3.5 turnovers. 1.1 steals, 0.8 blocks, 47.9 FG%
February: 20.0 points, 7.4 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 3.6 turnovers. 1.9 steals, 0.9 blocks, 48.3 FG%
March: 21.1 points, 5.1 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 2.9 turnovers. 2.9 steals, 1.1 blocks, 44.7 FG% 

Seems like there was at least some improvement from DJ in the G League.
And that said. I'm not sure it';s fair to compare one's improvement in college vs any pro league. Justin played against the same level of competition he did a year ago. DJ went from college to the pros. It would be unrealistic to expect similar statistical leaps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:00:03 AM by Pakuni »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2022, 10:52:56 AM »
"Vested interest" was probably the wrong term. I should have said better coaching for a future in the NBA is available if he goes pro now.

Is there a difference in just sending guys to the NBA and sending successful guys? Jarrett Allen is the only Shaka guy having success as of now.

However, like you, I think there is a decent chance that he returns.

Mo Bamba and Jaxson Hayes are having nice years.  Greg Brown is having a fine year for a 20 year old rookie.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2022, 10:58:40 AM »
I think the biggest factor in Justin's jump was health and opportunity.  He undoubtedly improved as a player, but we saw glimpses of it his first season.

What everyone is missing is that Justin didn't have the off season workouts and conditioning as a FR. If I recall, the team didn't get on campus until mid September and then a month later had to shut down for a couple of weeks due to Covid.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2022, 11:06:04 AM »
My neighbor played hoops and his wife volleyball at Ohio State and is in financial services now...I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he was talking about how there were multiple groups starting up in Columbus that were setting up funds for this purpose.  Didn't sound like small donors but bigger fish pulling there money to spread it beyond the stars and even beyond football and hoops.  Next time I see him I will try to pry a little more info out of him.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2022/03/31/ohio-state-football-basketball-players-launch-nil-nonprofit/7218602001/

I'm an Ohio native/Buckeye fan so I've been paying close attention to this- if anything OSU is behind a few of the other power football programs in getting this organized. I would think the MU fan base would be capable of doing something like this on a smaller scale.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2022, 11:22:27 AM »
His take is pretty terrible. A homer college bball fan take. Because without a doubt, G-League basketball is much closer to the NBA game than the college game.

The college game has made strides over the past few years. Pace and spacing have improved, as has freedom of movement. But, it still has a way to go.

You're wrong. I want Justin to go to the NBA even if that is this year. However I want him to get a real shot.

Getting drafted in the 45-60 range isn't ideal. I think he is a 1st round talent and he isn't being valued as that.
VIOLENCE!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2022, 01:38:29 PM »
On the other hand, JLew markedly improved, especially his pro game. Maybe having Nevada Smith running the offense is a great option to get noticed on the Bucks floor versus playing in front of a few in Greensboro? I don’t think it’s so cut and dried especially with NIL potential.

This implies that fan involvement/interest is equivalent to NBA evaluation.  I can assure you there is just as much attention paid to G-League games and players as a random Big East matchup.  There is a noted tweet or blurb when NBA scouts are at college games watching Lewis or someone else.  There are NBA personnel and evaluators at LITERALLY every G League game.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2022, 01:45:14 PM »
This implies that fan involvement/interest is equivalent to NBA evaluation.  I can assure you there is just as much attention paid to G-League games and players as a random Big East matchup.  There is a noted tweet or blurb when NBA scouts are at college games watching Lewis or someone else.  There are NBA personnel and evaluators at LITERALLY every G League game.

I think people have missed the investment the NBA has made in the G-League. It went from a pretty disorganized league to a true minor league for the NBA.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2022, 01:53:09 PM »
I think there is something to be said for being THE GUY on a college team regularly playing before 10,000+ people and that should not be dismissed, but by and large I agree the the G League is probably better for a players development. 

Shaka needs to win basketball games, whereas the G League is all about prepping players for the NBA.  People here have said we'd be better with Lewis at the 5 spot, for example (and I agree), but Lewis at the 5 isn't helping him prep for the NBA.  Shaka could potentially decide to do that to help win games, but a G League coach is less likely to have someone with potential in a position he won't play in the NBA, because his job is to prep guys for the big team, not win games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2022, 02:04:06 PM »
I think there is something to be said for being THE GUY on a college team regularly playing before 10,000+ people and that should not be dismissed, but by and large I agree the the G League is probably better for a players development. 

Shaka needs to win basketball games, whereas the G League is all about prepping players for the NBA.  People here have said we'd be better with Lewis at the 5 spot, for example (and I agree), but Lewis at the 5 isn't helping him prep for the NBA.  Shaka could potentially decide to do that to help win games, but a G League coach is less likely to have someone with potential in a position he won't play in the NBA, because his job is to prep guys for the big team, not win games.

Not sure I agree with that. Lewis isn't particularly quick when compared to NBA athletes, but he's strong and has good length. I think playing small-ball 5 could be an ideal role for him in the NBA. I'm sure he'd love to be a JFB-style wing, but I don't know that he's built for that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »
Justin has played 2 years of college ball. He's entering that no man's land in the NBA eyes where he may have reached his "potential". IMO, he is out of here.

So this is the new reality. I don't think MU will ever win another NC if we lose our best players after year 2.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2022, 02:24:18 PM »
You're wrong. I want Justin to go to the NBA even if that is this year. However I want him to get a real shot.

Getting drafted in the 45-60 range isn't ideal. I think he is a 1st round talent and he isn't being valued as that.

From what I saw last year, 45-60 is pretty much where I would place him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2022, 02:34:59 PM »

From what I saw last year, 45-60 is pretty much where I would place him.

Maybe, but he has 1st round talent. As hinted at by many scouts, he is the age of most Freshman so age isn't a concern.  He's still very raw and inexperienced.
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2022, 02:43:11 PM »
Maybe, but he has 1st round talent. As hinted at by many scouts, he is the age of most Freshman so age isn't a concern.  He's still very raw and inexperienced.

Then why is he projected in the second round?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »

Then why is he projected in the second round?

If you read my last sentence...

He is raw and inexperienced. He isn't very good defensively and is slow on his feet. Talent is great. Mechanics need work.
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2022, 03:27:36 PM »

He is raw and inexperienced. He isn't very good defensively and is slow on his feet. Talent is great. Mechanics need work.

If he indeed has first round talent, but his mechanics simply needed work, he would be drafted in the in the first round and coached up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »
Justin’s a Wojo guy. We don’t need him. Cut his azz!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »

Unless you're John Paxson and Gar Forman, NBA teams don't care about experience. The draft is about potential, measurables, and athleticism. Besides, Justin being slow on his feet is an athleticism issue, not an experience issue.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
Mo Bamba and Jaxson Hayes are having nice years.  Greg Brown is having a fine year for a 20 year old rookie.

Yeah, they may turn out fine. Getting a lot of minutes for bottom feeders. Would very seldom see the court on a contender.

But that was kinda my point. They are better off for their futures in the league by having gone pro and getting NBA instruction. Most guys like that are only going to get minutes on bad teams, but they improve more going against NBA players with NBA coaches. It's a completely different game to learn. Might as well get started.

Especially if he is gonna be in the Top 40 or so players that get guaranteed contracts.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2022, 05:17:39 PM »
So this is the new reality. I don't think MU will ever win another NC if we lose our best players after year 2.

Yes - Duke and Kentucky are proof of that. Oops, I was wrong. They lose their best players after year 1.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2022, 08:53:53 AM »
Justin’s a Wojo guy. We don’t need him. Cut his azz!

Eye'm wit ewe, Nads. Hope he takes his talents elsewhere, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »

Abbsolootley. Wee don't need know Enn-Bee-Ay-level tallent at Emm-Ewe, nu?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »
By the looks of a mid-first contract versus a mid-second from last year's draft, Justin could double to triple the size of his initial contract by waiting a year and moving up into the 1st round.

Players picked in the 40ish range averaged $1.2 to $1.5 million per year for their initial contract. Players 15 to 20 made between $3 and $4 million/year.

If NBA teams think he's got the talent of a 1st round pick with only some "mechanics" issues to coach him on, I would think they will do everything in their power to encourage him to leave this year because they can steal him for a 4-year contract for $5 to $6 million guaranteed.

If Justin thinks he's got the talent of a 1st round pick and can show that he's fixed those mechanics issues, he should stay because if he can move into the middle of the first round, maybe 15th to 20th, he'll increase his first contract value to $12 to $16 million. 

The biggest reason to leave now is if he thinks he's peaked and won't improve his draft position next year.  The next biggest is that you're risk-averse and are okay with potentially giving up half to 2/3 of your first few years of compensation in order to lock something in now.

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
If NBA teams think he's got the talent of a 1st round pick with only some "mechanics" issues to coach him on, I would think they will do everything in their power to encourage him to leave this year because they can steal him for a 4-year contract for $5 to $6 million guaranteed.

This is 100% accurate.  Mechanics can be fixed.  NBA teams aren't skipping on a player they otherwise see as talented because their mechanics are off.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »
By the looks of a mid-first contract versus a mid-second from last year's draft, Justin could double to triple the size of his initial contract by waiting a year and moving up into the 1st round.

Players picked in the 40ish range averaged $1.2 to $1.5 million per year for their initial contract. Players 15 to 20 made between $3 and $4 million/year.

If Justin thinks he's got the talent of a 1st round pick and can show that he's fixed those mechanics issues, he should stay because if he can move into the middle of the first round, maybe 15th to 20th, he'll increase his first contract value to $12 to $16 million. 

The biggest reason to leave now is if he thinks he's peaked and won't improve his draft position next year.  The next biggest is that you're risk-averse and are okay with potentially giving up half to 2/3 of your first few years of compensation in order to lock something in now.

But are 2nd round contracts always 4 year contracts?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
Quote from: 4everwarriors on Today at 08:53:53 AM

Abbsolootley. Wee don't need know Enn-Bee-Ay-level tallent at Emm-Ewe, nu?
Is there a cognitive disorder going around on MUSCOOP?