[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shakahowski  (Read 33602 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Shakahowski
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2022, 10:42:21 AM »
It's cool dude.  You thought and think Wojo was a good coach, and apparently better than Shaka...and maybe even Buzz?  I mean Buzz did coach that talent to a 68 Ken Pom ranking, and they were all 1 year younger/mostly freshman.

If you could, could you please enlighten us all as to why in Year 7 of his regime, Wojo was only able to coach all of his hand-selected talent to that 83 Ken Pom finish and 13-14 record?

I just like consistency in arguments.  I don't think Wojo was a good coach at all.  I do think he's been fairly comparable to Shaka over the last decade, given that Shaka didn't win a Tournament game in his 6 years at a bigger program than Wojo did in his 7 years at Marquette.

Wojo could only coach that team to 83rd in KenPom and 13-14 record because he wasn't a good coach and his talent was mostly young.

If you could, could you please enlighten all of us as to why in Year 6 of his regime, St. Buzz was only able to coach all of his hand-selected talent (7 top 100 players I think you've told us?  Plus John "Magic" Dawson) to that 68 KenPom finish and 17-15 record?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2022, 11:17:59 AM »
Goose, totally disagree. Milwaukee is a tough sell.

I'm really tired of this crap. Yeah, if you want scantily clad co-eds, palm trees, crappy educational institutions an an external environment that would cause ADHD in anyone, Milwaukee aint it.

If you want a school committed to basketball, a coach that cares about you, a community that supports the team and facilities second none as well as a nearby world champion NBA team, maybe Milwaukee is it.

Life in a community is what you make of it. If your mind is so feeble you need constant distractions, then perhaps Marquette isn't  the answer. That's not the student athlete we're going after anyway.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2022, 11:39:57 AM »
I'm really tired of this crap. Yeah, if you want scantily clad co-eds, palm trees, crappy educational institutions an an external environment that would cause ADHD in anyone, Milwaukee aint it.

If you want a school committed to basketball, a coach that cares about you, a community that supports the team and facilities second none as well as a nearby world champion NBA team, maybe Milwaukee is it.

Life in a community is what you make of it. If your mind is so feeble you need constant distractions, then perhaps Marquette isn't  the answer. That's not the student athlete we're going after anyway.

The Bucks have always had a tough time attracting free agents. Now that they have had some big success, they may be able to get a few more free agents, but it’s not an attractive destination. Even if they are getting paid millions.

I think it’s naive to think the only ones turning down MU because of cold weather are weak minded. There’s a lot that goes into a college decision.

Just like it’s silly to think just because a player grows up 20 miles from campus, it’s a failure if he doesn’t go to MU. Some people want to go far from home for college.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2022, 11:40:39 AM »
All those judging Shaka solely on this year me game after this overachieving year are embarrassing themselves. Did that loss suck? Absolutely! Is it acceptable? No! But those writing off Shaka already are nuts and sounds stupid to any knowledgeable college basketball fan. Don’t embarrass yourself and this MU fan base. It sounds stupid.
You've been on Scoop for a long time and are surprised? Heck we could make the FF & people would find something to b*tch about :p
Goal is National Championship

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2022, 11:49:04 AM »
You've been on Scoop for a long time and are surprised? Heck we could make the FF & people would find something to b*tch about :p

19 years later in some cases.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2022, 12:11:03 PM »

This is what 17-28 year olds want brother dgies....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2022, 12:34:26 PM »
dgies:

Also dgies:

I live in Florida.

8-)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2022, 05:02:49 PM »
dgies:

Also dgies:
I live in Florida.
 8-)

I aint no damn college basketball player for one thing.  8-)

For another, I have to answer to Ms. Dgies and she really likes Florida. As do I. But I liked Chicago, Milwaukee, Nashville and Duluth, all of which I've lived in during my life.

For the record, I love Milwaukee. I've spent an awful lot of time there over the years and often went to Milwaukee for fun instead of Chicago. It's more efficient, just as cultured and we have lots of wonderful memories from there over the years.

I reiterate what I said earlier -- life is what you make of it, no matter where you live.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2022, 05:17:13 PM »
I reiterate what I said earlier -- life is what you make of it, no matter where you live.

I generally agree, but that's not the perspective I typically expect of a HS senior. 

Plus, as much as I support Marquette and Marquette Hoops, I would never move back to Milwaukee.  4 years was enough for me.  There are much nicer places to live.

And, you just deserved some hell for a little hypocrisy!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »
I wanted MU to hire a coach that built fundamentally sound teams. That is why I wanted Moser. This team at the end was fundamentally weak (poor rebounding and too many turnovers). Oklahoma (Moser) missed the tournament, because they lost a starter to a season ending injury. Before the injury bracketology had them in the tournament.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:12:33 PM by bilsu »

panda

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
I wanted MU to hire a coach that built fundamentally sound teams. That is why I wanted Moser. This team at the end was fundamentally weak (poor rebounding and too many turnovers). Oklahoma (Moser) missed the tournament, because they lost a starter to a season ending injury. Before the injury bracketology had them in the tournament.

Which starter did OU lose ?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »
I know the thread title ends is "-howski" but do we really have to turn it into another revisiting of Wojo? Can we stick to the topic of the coach at hand?

You new here?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2022, 07:06:21 PM »
The Bucks have always had a tough time attracting free agents. Now that they have had some big success, they may be able to get a few more free agents, but it’s not an attractive destination. Even if they are getting paid millions.

I think it’s naive to think the only ones turning down MU because of cold weather are weak minded. There’s a lot that goes into a college decision.

Just like it’s silly to think just because a player grows up 20 miles from campus, it’s a failure if he doesn’t go to MU. Some people want to go far from home for college.

Exactly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2022, 07:14:56 PM »

Oklahoma was in the bottom 15 teams in the country for turnovers. Hard to call that fundamentally sound.

Which starter did OU lose ?

Elijah Harkless. But OU went 3-2 without him and the two games they lost they would have been heavy underdogs with or without him. They then beat Baylor in the B12 tourney before bowing out to Tech. I have a hard time saying that Harkless' injury is what kept them from dancing. It was probably the 2-9 stretch with him in the lineup that proceeded the injury

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2022, 07:18:47 PM »
Oklahoma was in the bottom 15 teams in the country for turnovers. Hard to call that fundamentally sound.

Elijah Harkless. But OU went 3-2 without him and the two games they lost they would have been heavy underdogs with or without him. They then beat Baylor in the B12 tourney before bowing out to Tech. I have a hard time saying that Harkless' injury is what kept them from dancing. It was probably the 2-9 stretch with him in the lineup that proceeded the injury

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2022, 07:36:47 PM »

Thx - I knew the answer and had my own slam dunk post in drafts ready for his response. You just beat me to it :-)

Here’s a snippet -

His team didn’t make the tournament because they couldn’t beat anyone even with a full roster. Not because they lost Harkless and still went 3-2 without him.

Comparing Shaka and Moser’s year one is an absolute no contest and you’re lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

Moser has six open scholarship spots for next season and has signed two guys so far. Looks like a lot of high major guys signing up to play for him….

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »
Thx - I knew the answer and had my own slam dunk post in drafts ready for his response. You just beat me to it :-)

Here’s a snippet -

His team didn’t make the tournament because they couldn’t beat anyone even with a full roster. Not because they lost Harkless and still went 3-2 without him.

Comparing Shaka and Moser’s year one is an absolute no contest and you’re lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

Moser has six open scholarship spots for next season and has signed two guys so far. Looks like a lot of high major guys signing up to play for him….

Which was always the concern about his candidacy as a coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2022, 08:17:04 PM »
There are plenty of legitimate questions about Shaka. There are at least as many (and probably more IMHO) about Moser.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »

For another, I have to answer to Ms. Dgies and she really likes Florida. As do I. But I liked Chicago, Milwaukee, Nashville and Duluth, all of which I've lived in during my life.

For the record, I love Milwaukee. I've spent an awful lot of time there over the years and often went to Milwaukee for fun instead of Chicago. It's more efficient, just as cultured and we have lots of wonderful memories from there over the years.

Dgies trolling Scoop from his Vero hot tub.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2022, 08:33:26 PM »

Sick bird fan + see Dr Blackheart so true

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2022, 08:49:45 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2022, 08:54:46 PM »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »

Duluth is solid. Winters are scary, and it looks over at the meth capital dump known as Superior, but for 7 months D-town is sweet. Just sayin’.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
Dgies trolling Scoop from his Vero hot tub.

Cripe, I am not that big and surely don't have that much hair.

As to the subject at hand, Marquette's lack of consistent recruiting probably has more to do with the coaching carousel we have had and the overall instability in our program. Since Coach McGuire left at the end of 1977, we have had eight head coaches. The longest tenure is about seven years and the average around six -- or about 1.5 to 1.75x the average tenure of a college basketball player.

Villanova has no problem attracting great talent and they're in a city that Milwaukee tops seven days a week and five times on weekends. Philadelphia, give me a break! Ditto for Champaign, IL, the biggest hole in Champaign County's cornfields. Lawrence, Kansas is no nirvana either. You get stability in your program and reinforce a culture of winning and they'll come.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »
Duluth is solid. Winters are scary, and it looks over at the meth capital dump known as Superior, but for 7 months D-town is sweet. Just sayin’.

Brother Viper,

I was born in Superior  ;D. Brother Chili's wife is from Superior.

I really was. My grandparents lived on North 22nd Street and on East 4th Street.

I know, me being from Superior explains a lot. And, yes, Superior has its problems.

Both of my folks (including my MU grad Dad) grew up there and my family had been a part of the region for more than 100 years.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:08:12 AM by dgies9156 »