'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219633 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1075 on: April 18, 2022, 01:47:19 PM »
Tyrese Hunter has to be going to Virginia right?

IIRC, the announcers during the tournament said that Tony Bennett texts with Hunter occasionally. They even said that Bennett told Hunter to stat at Iowa State, which I thought was odd at the time. Regardless of where Hunter ends up going, if I were Otzelberger I would be pretty bothered by Bennett talking to my players.

It will be UNC.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1076 on: April 18, 2022, 01:48:49 PM »
I thought at one point Coach Calipari had an interest in Tyrese
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: April 18, 2022, 01:51:41 PM »

IIRC, the announcers during the tournament said that Tony Bennett texts with Hunter occasionally. They even said that Bennett told Hunter to stat at Iowa State, which I thought was odd at the time. Regardless of where Hunter ends up going, if I were Otzelberger I would be pretty bothered by Bennett talking to my players.

Dont think Virginia can offer the bag UNC can.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #1078 on: April 18, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »

It will be UNC.

Got it.

Well, between Leaky Black and Tyrese Hunter, Armando Bacot will have no shortage of ORebs to grab next year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: April 18, 2022, 02:04:48 PM »

UNC
Virginia
Florida
Wisconsin

would be my guess. Rumors of UNC forking over big NIL last week, but rumors can be pretty far fetched. We shall see.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: April 18, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »
UNC
Virginia
Florida
Wisconsin

would be my guess. Rumors of UNC forking over big NIL last week, but rumors can be pretty far fetched. We shall see.

It will not be this school. There is nothing to suggest it would be.

Also, expect NIL programs to be involved. Louisville, Memphis, and Kansas.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: April 18, 2022, 02:18:44 PM »
And the rich, get richer,hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: April 18, 2022, 02:22:00 PM »

1. Start a company
2. Profit
3. Hire Tyrese to be your brand ambassador
4. Profit a little less, but be happy that you are helping Marquette basketball.
Do they actually have to do any work for you or can you just cut them a check? Does that check run through the Athletic Dept or does it go right to the player?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: April 18, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »
And the rich, get richer,hey?

Rite a chek, nu?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1084 on: April 18, 2022, 02:29:09 PM »

Also, expect NIL programs to be involved. Louisville, Memphis, and Kansas.

It'll definitely be somewhere with big NIL opportunities, and I doubt Wisconsin offers much more opportunity than Iowa St. in that realm.  Memphis boosters probably have a lot of freed-up cash with Emoni Bates leaving. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: April 18, 2022, 02:35:25 PM »
I get that UNC is dropping a bag for him but from a basketball standpoint it doesn’t make much sense. Isn’t RJ Davis coming back? I also haven’t see Caleb Love announce his decision.

Again, I get getting paid but there might not be a lot of minutes at UNC. The grass ain’t always greener (no pun intended)
Bring back FFP!!!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: April 18, 2022, 02:54:24 PM »
:

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: April 18, 2022, 03:06:30 PM »
We have to correct this Wojo mistake asap
Had he signed with MU he may of jumped ship just like he is doing at Iowa St.

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: April 18, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »

Actually let me say that I completely forgot that Tyrese's HS coach is Tony Bennett's cousin. So you may be completely right here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: April 18, 2022, 03:18:48 PM »

Actually let me say that I completely forgot that Tyrese's HS coach is Tony Bennett's cousin. So you may be completely right here.

I'd be surprised if it were Virginia or Wisconsin but I think they'll get a chance.

Hunter has NBA aspirations and Virginia and Wisconsin just do not fit the type of player Hunter is. He's best in open space using his speed and quickness and neither of those programs allow you to do that.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: April 18, 2022, 03:20:10 PM »
Garcia is a Gopher.    Stunning no one.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: April 18, 2022, 03:21:53 PM »
"I am a homegrown kid, I got a lot of love for this state..." That is why i played for two better schools outside of this state before coming back.

https://247sports.com/Article/North-Carolina-transfer-and-former-McDonalds-All-American-Dawson-Garcia-will-transfer-home-to-play-for-Minnesota-186377817/

I hope it works out for him.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: April 18, 2022, 03:24:32 PM »
Of last year's HS graduating class from the state of Wisconsin:

1. Baldwin (played sparingly for UWM; going pro)
2. Hunter (transfer portal from Iowa St.)
3. Joplin (Marquette)
4. Podziemski (transfer portal from Illinois)
5. Landers (transfer portal from Kansas St)

MU likely came out best with Joplin.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1093 on: April 18, 2022, 03:29:09 PM »
Garcia is a Gopher.    Stunning no one.

Is it just assumed that he's granted a waiver to play right away? 

This one is an interesting case study.  One one hand, I get that he left UNC for family reasons, so the waiver is easier to justify, especially when transferring to a hometown school.  On the other hand, does that open up the floodgate for two-time transfers heading back to their hometown schools for "family reasons"?  Could the NCAA say he's not eligible until, say, halfway through the season, since he played roughly half of last season?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: April 18, 2022, 03:30:42 PM »
I'd be surprised if it were Virginia or Wisconsin but I think they'll get a chance.

Hunter has NBA aspirations and Virginia and Wisconsin just do not fit the type of player Hunter is. He's best in open space using his speed and quickness and neither of those programs allow you to do that.

Johnny Davis did fine at Wisconsin being at his best in space.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: April 18, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »

This one is an interesting case study.  One one hand, I get that he left UNC for family reasons, so the waiver is easier to justify, especially when transferring to a hometown school.  On the other hand, does that open up the floodgate for two-time transfers heading back to their hometown schools for "family reasons"?  Could the NCAA say he's not eligible until, say, halfway through the season, since he played roughly half of last season?

This is what first time transfers were doing for the past 10 years to get waivers. He will get one. Going to Minnesota ensures it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: April 18, 2022, 03:34:28 PM »

I'd be flat out stunned if he doesnt get the waiver
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: April 18, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
Johnny Davis did fine at Wisconsin being at his best in space.

He has to be one of the most overhyped prospects in some time.  He shot 30% from 3, 42% from the field, he's not overly big for a guard, and a solid finisher but not overly explosive.  Wisconsin didn't give him the ability to freely push the pace and he was better in the halfcourt taking advantage of mismatches.
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: April 18, 2022, 03:49:22 PM »
He has to be one of the most overhyped prospects in some time.  He shot 30% from 3, 42% from the field, he's not overly big for a guard, and a solid finisher but not overly explosive.  Wisconsin didn't give him the ability to freely push the pace and he was better in the halfcourt taking advantage of mismatches.

He's a lottery pick with holes in his game.  Every year's draft has players just like that.  I wouldn't call him overhyped at all.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: April 18, 2022, 03:52:17 PM »

He's a lottery pick with holes in his game.  Every year's draft has players just like that.  I wouldn't call him overhyped at all.

I understand why he is a valued prospect but there are a lot of players in mocks behind him that I like a lot better. He was pretty terrible to close the year and like you said has a ton of holes in his game. I get it though, potential.
VIOLENCE!

feedback