[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 218857 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1600 on: June 07, 2022, 11:43:10 AM »

MU can compete with the vast majority of P6 schools and can outcompete everyone but Creighton in the Big East in NIL. Shaka likes the roster he has.

Exactly - we’ve rarely fished in the same pond as the big spenders, before and after NIL was established.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: June 07, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »

MU can compete with the vast majority of P6 schools and can outcompete everyone but Creighton in the Big East in NIL. Shaka likes the roster he has.

We'll see.  The list of guys that put up very mediocre numbers yet still had very high, high major talent at least checking in is very concerning as an MU fan.  And the list of top level transfers who are less interested in campus visits than they are in dollar amounts being offered is also very concerning as an MU fan.

The reality is, if MU is going to get where MU fans think we should be and expected under Wojo, we need more talent than is on the roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: June 07, 2022, 12:02:54 PM »
We'll see.  The list of guys that put up very mediocre numbers yet still had very high, high major talent at least checking in is very concerning as an MU fan.  And the list of top level transfers who are less interested in campus visits than they are in dollar amounts being offered is also very concerning as an MU fan.

The reality is, if MU is going to get where MU fans think we should be and expected under Wojo, we need more talent than is on the roster.

Who’ve we missed out on because of a missed NIL deal ?

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: June 07, 2022, 12:07:29 PM »

Again, repeating the above may make people on this board feel better about the upcoming season, but given the preponderance of the evidence this just isn't the case. Shaka has tried to recruit quite a few transfers, both guards and big men, and he's lost out on them. This is a matter of fact. Does that mean he wanted to totally overhaul the team? No, but its clear he thought this team needed help and ultimately failed to bring in that help, which is worrying to me. Still think we're generally trending upward as a program, but I would learn towards a slight regression next year as things stand.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: June 07, 2022, 12:22:14 PM »
Again, repeating the above may make people on this board feel better about the upcoming season, but given the preponderance of the evidence this just isn't the case. Shaka has tried to recruit quite a few transfers, both guards and big men, and he's lost out on them. This is a matter of fact. Does that mean he wanted to totally overhaul the team? No, but its clear he thought this team needed help and ultimately failed to bring in that help, which is worrying to me. Still think we're generally trending upward as a program, but I would learn towards a slight regression next year as things stand.

Duke doesn't like their roster, they tried to get Nijel Pack, AJ Green, and Baylor Scheierman.
North Carolina doesn't like their roster, they tried to get Pete Nance and Matthew Mayer.
Kentucky doesn't like their roster, especially that Oscar guy, they tried to get Fardaws Aimaq.

Everyone hates their roster. Never stop recruiting.

You can say we'll regress a little next year or improve a little next year. I don't know. I think next years team is high variance. But don't use a coach recruiting as "evidence" of hating your roster. Unless you think nearly every coach in college basketball hates their roster.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: June 07, 2022, 12:27:28 PM »
Duke doesn't like their roster, they tried to get Nijel Pack, AJ Green, and Baylor Scheierman.
North Carolina doesn't like their roster, they tried to get Pete Nance and Matthew Mayer.
Kentucky doesn't like their roster, especially that Oscar guy, they tried to get Fardaws Aimaq.

You can say we'll regress a little next year or improve a little next year. I don't know. I think next years team is high variance. But don't use a coach recruiting as "evidence" of hating your roster. Unless you think nearly every coach in college basketball hates their roster.

And don't excuse a coach's lack of success in the transfer market by spinning it as evidence he loves his roster.
I don't doubt Shaka likes his roster. I also don't doubt he recognizes its shortcomings and has tried to address them.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: June 07, 2022, 12:28:14 PM »
Let's not forget that there was also a 6 week period in between when Wrightsil committed and Justin announced that he was staying in where we were full up.  There's only so much recruiting you can do when all 13 scholarships are spoken for.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: June 07, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »
Let's not forget that there was also a 6 week period in between when Wrightsil committed and Justin announced that he was staying in where we were full up.  There's only so much recruiting you can do when all 13 scholarships are spoken for.

1. That's not true. Teams always continue to recruit when all their scholies are spoken for.
2. If Shaka truly had no clue what Justin was doing for six weeks, he needs to improve his communication and relationship skills. I doubt that's the case. I suspect Shaka has known for weeks which way Justin was leaning, and almost certainly knew of his final decision well before Justin went public.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: June 07, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »
1. That's not true. Teams always continue to recruit when all their scholies are spoken for.
2. If Shaka truly had no clue what Justin was doing for six weeks, he needs to improve his communication and relationship skills. I doubt that's the case. I suspect Shaka has known for weeks which way Justin was leaning, and almost certainly knew of his final decision well before Justin went public.

It can be hard to convince prospects to come replace a player when said player says he’s not leaving in a public forum.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: June 07, 2022, 12:37:43 PM »

1. I said there's only so much recruiting that you can do, not there's no recruiting that you can do (continuing to hit the high school trail hard for example).  As much as other teams continue to recruit when they're full up (including MU in the post), I don't expect many if any players to be buzz cut or Bo'oned.  It kinda spits in the face of all the "culture buy in" that Shaka has been pushing since day one.
2. Again, he may have known which way Justin was leaning, but until something is a #dondeal he'd have to alter his approach. "Hey, <insert name here> I really want you here, and this is how we could use use within our offense, but one of my current guys may come back and if he does I won't be able to honor this scholarship offer". 

Not trying to blanketly defend his recruiting misses, they are 100% misses.  Just pointing out that he has been a little more handcuffed than some coaches that have multiple openings and can fully guarantee a scholarship.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: June 07, 2022, 12:39:06 PM »
Who’ve we missed out on because of a missed NIL deal ?

There are players we won't even begin to be in the conversation for because of NIL deals.  So I guess we didn't miss on anyone because of them, we just can't even play ball on some of them.  Which again, causes me to believe we are in a world of hurt until there are some sort of guidelines on NIL in college athletics/basketball.  We are a non-factor in terms of NIL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: June 07, 2022, 12:41:30 PM »
Shaka said at least a month ago that there were very few players out there that he felt fit what he is trying to do at MU.  So I have assumed all along that Wrightsil was going to be the only incoming transfer.   

So now, who is going to be the forward that rounds out the 23 class?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: June 07, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
There are players we won't even begin to be in the conversation for because of NIL deals.  So I guess we didn't miss on anyone because of them, we just can't even play ball on some of them.  Which again, causes me to believe we are in a world of hurt until there are some sort of guidelines on NIL in college athletics/basketball.  We are a non-factor in terms of NIL.

Fact is - 90 percent of schools are non factors in NIL as it stands now.

We haven’t lost any players to NIL deals yet and I don’t anticipate losing many because we’re not going after those guys anyways.

We weren’t going after guys looking to get paid before NIL and we’re not in the market for guys looking for NIL deals now.

I do think that we need to adapt to NIL or be left in the dust in the coming years, but as it stands now, it’s just lots of hand wringing over a barely existent issue.

*clarification - not an issue in college basketball. Much more prevalent already in CFB.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 12:54:45 PM by panda »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: June 07, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »

Lol what?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1614 on: June 07, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »

1. Not typically at this point of the season. Recruiting multiple players for 2023 when we only have one scholarship available, yes, teams do that. But going after players actively for the upcoming season when you don't have scholarships available isn't a common practice.

2. By all reports, Justin didn't make his final decision until the days leading into June 1. I think he was leaning toward going, but he needed to get feedback from both the draft side and NIL side before settling on his decision. Reading tea leaves, I think one of his last workouts before the deadline was what solidified him staying in. If Justin didn't know until the last week, hard to imagine Shaka knew before Justin did.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1615 on: June 07, 2022, 01:00:25 PM »
We are a non-factor in terms of NIL.

This is incorrect
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1616 on: June 07, 2022, 01:05:24 PM »
Again, repeating the above may make people on this board feel better about the upcoming season, but given the preponderance of the evidence this just isn't the case. Shaka has tried to recruit quite a few transfers, both guards and big men, and he's lost out on them. This is a matter of fact.

Are you sure?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: June 07, 2022, 01:14:44 PM »
2. By all reports, Justin didn't make his final decision until the days leading into June 1. I think he was leaning toward going, but he needed to get feedback from both the draft side and NIL side before settling on his decision. Reading tea leaves, I think one of his last workouts before the deadline was what solidified him staying in. If Justin didn't know until the last week, hard to imagine Shaka knew before Justin did.

Whose reports?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1618 on: June 07, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »
Whose reports?

The reports of everyone I was talking to leading up to the decision date. Shaka may have known, but from everything I've heard, I do not at all believe the staff had the kind of advanced knowledge you imply.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: June 07, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
Shaka said at least a month ago that there were very few players out there that he felt fit what he is trying to do at MU.  So I have assumed all along that Wrightsil was going to be the only incoming transfer.   

So now, who is going to be the forward that rounds out the 23 class?

I keep reading stuff like this here, and it frankly makes little sense.
Guys ... Shaka isn't reinventing the wheel here, much less the way to operate a college basketball program. He's not doing anything at Marquette that isn't done at programs across the country. 
There were literally dozens of high quality players in the portal this spring, and the notion that only a tiny fraction of them - or maybe just one guy from the NAIA - "fit" what Shaka is doing is nuts.
And you know who else isn't buying this line of thinking? Shaka. MU reached out to LOTS of players this spring. Shaka wasn't nearly as discerning as is being portrayed here.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: June 07, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »
The reports of everyone I was talking to leading up to the decision date. Shaka may have known, but from everything I've heard, I do not at all believe the staff had the kind of advanced knowledge you imply.

They had from 5/29. 48 hours would have been enough time for John Wooden to replace Lewis with a 5star.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1621 on: June 07, 2022, 02:11:52 PM »
I keep reading stuff like this here, and it frankly makes little sense.
Guys ... Shaka isn't reinventing the wheel here, much less the way to operate a college basketball program. He's not doing anything at Marquette that isn't done at programs across the country. 
There were literally dozens of high quality players in the portal this spring, and the notion that only a tiny fraction of them - or maybe just one guy from the NAIA - "fit" what Shaka is doing is nuts.
And you know who else isn't buying this line of thinking? Shaka. MU reached out to LOTS of players this spring. Shaka wasn't nearly as discerning as is being portrayed here.

When they had an open scholarship, they did. Off the top of my head, I remember Kendal Coleman, Warren Washington, Manny Bates, Nijel Pack, Courtney Ramey, Efe Abogidi, Mouhamed Gueye, Fardaws Aimaq, and Clifton Moore. However, I don't remember many of those coming after we landed Zach Wrightsil. Ramey and Gueye are the only names I can confidently say we were mentioned with once we were back to full (and that might have just been Shaka keeping in touch with an old player, possibly not even recruiting him).

However, we were reported to have reached out to maybe a dozen players out of what, 1600 in the portal? And the only one they brought for a visit was Wrightsil, with no real aggressiveness shown after that commit.

How much of this was MU reaching out to "lots of players" and how much was we reached out to a handful of guys in late March/early April and fans kept mentioning them as possibilities because they were uncommitted? Are there that many names that came after the Wrightsil commit? There certainly haven't been as guys dropped out of the Draft and into the portal (like Matthew Mayer).

This might be my personal take, but while I'll post and tweet the Twitter mentions, I don't get too seriously excited about any prospects until I hear a name from someone closer to the Al. The only player I received any information on this summer in terms of serious interest was Wrightsil about 2 weeks before he committed. Other than that, it's been very quiet. Compare that to last year when Jop, Ellis, O-Max, and Kolek were getting buzz before 414 Day, and Morsell was known months in advance.

Honestly, I think it's more fan speculation than actual aggressiveness from the staff. Which makes sense when you have 12.5 scholarships full from mid-April on.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1622 on: June 07, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
When they had an open scholarship, they did. Off the top of my head, I remember Kendal Coleman, Warren Washington, Manny Bates, Nijel Pack, Courtney Ramey, Efe Abogidi, Mouhamed Gueye, Fardaws Aimaq, and Clifton Moore. However, I don't remember many of those coming after we landed Zach Wrightsil. Ramey and Gueye are the only names I can confidently say we were mentioned with once we were back to full (and that might have just been Shaka keeping in touch with an old player, possibly not even recruiting him).

However, we were reported to have reached out to maybe a dozen players out of what, 1600 in the portal? And the only one they brought for a visit was Wrightsil, with no real aggressiveness shown after that commit.

How much of this was MU reaching out to "lots of players" and how much was we reached out to a handful of guys in late March/early April and fans kept mentioning them as possibilities because they were uncommitted? Are there that many names that came after the Wrightsil commit? There certainly haven't been as guys dropped out of the Draft and into the portal (like Matthew Mayer).

This might be my personal take, but while I'll post and tweet the Twitter mentions, I don't get too seriously excited about any prospects until I hear a name from someone closer to the Al. The only player I received any information on this summer in terms of serious interest was Wrightsil about 2 weeks before he committed. Other than that, it's been very quiet. Compare that to last year when Jop, Ellis, O-Max, and Kolek were getting buzz before 414 Day, and Morsell was known months in advance.

Honestly, I think it's more fan speculation than actual aggressiveness from the staff. Which makes sense when you have 12.5 scholarships full from mid-April on.

Always remember: Fans Are Idiots
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: June 07, 2022, 02:49:45 PM »

Washington and Wrightsil were the only two ever taken mildly seriously. Aimaq was serious, but they the staff fell back right away.

They have constantly recruited 2023 hard looking to have a 3 man class, making Coleman, Bates, and Pack unlikely. Plus i think Pack wanted a large NIL package.

Moore and 1-2 other big men felt like backup options for Wrightsil and Washington.

Abogidi went pro. Gueye went back to WSU. Ramey is only connected because he was once a shaka player, seems like he is going to Arizona or WVU. (i thought it was duke, but Proctor reclassified.)

Most transfers just tweet out or leak every school that called them one time, to make it seem like they are more coveted than they actually are.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: June 07, 2022, 03:33:06 PM »
Washington and Wrightsil were the only two ever taken mildly seriously. Aimaq was serious, but they the staff fell back right away.

They have constantly recruited 2023 hard looking to have a 3 man class, making Coleman, Bates, and Pack unlikely. Plus i think Pack wanted a large NIL package.

Moore and 1-2 other big men felt like backup options for Wrightsil and Washington.

Abogidi went pro. Gueye went back to WSU. Ramey is only connected because he was once a shaka player, seems like he is going to Arizona or WVU. (i thought it was duke, but Proctor reclassified.)

Most transfers just tweet out or leak every school that called them one time, to make it seem like they are more coveted than they actually are.

So, even though Marquette was one of Noah Carter's finalists, Shaka wasn't even mildly serious about him?

As for your players tweet/leak idea, are you suggesting players are lying about the schools that are reaching out to them, or that schools - especially Marquette, it seems - spend their time contacting players they don't want?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 03:36:23 PM by Pakuni »

feedback