[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105386 times)

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #450 on: March 25, 2022, 09:18:33 AM »
I was not aware that Jamion Christian was fired by George Washington.  That might be a decent landing spot for Wojo.
Pretty far away from Park City
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Viper

• All American
« Reply #451 on: March 25, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
Frank Martin to UMASS.
Martin is nuts. Any players at UMass worth recruiting?

panda

• All American
« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »

Meeting is extremely well respected. There’s a reason he was hired 15 seconds after someone else let him go.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »
Meeting is extremely well respected. There’s a reason he was hired 15 seconds after someone else let him go.

Extremely well respected and nucking futs are not mutually exclusive. From what I've heard, Martin is both.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #454 on: March 25, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Extremely well respected and nucking futs are not mutually exclusive. From what I've heard, Martin is both.

He has the rare combo of opposing coaches, opposing player and former players all singing his praises. That’s rarely the case.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 25, 2022, 10:53:38 AM »

Just guards. So probably not what Marquette is looking for. I think they have contacted 1-2 transfer guards in total and like 5-7 4s and 5s.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #456 on: March 25, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
Just guards. So probably not what Marquette is looking for. I think they have contacted 1-2 transfer guards in total and like 5-7 4s and 5s.

Shaka seems to be really focusing on guards and wings when recruiting high school athletes, and bigs when recruiting transfers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2022, 11:48:59 AM »
He has the rare combo of opposing coaches, opposing player and former players all singing his praises. That’s rarely the case.

I don't think that's universal though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #458 on: March 25, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »
I don't think that's universal though.

No one is universally liked. We're talking majority

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2022, 01:06:21 PM »
Steve Prohm in talks to go back to Murray State. (Borzello)

Who is the most successful "return" coaching hire? 

Given I can't easily find lists online, I assume the sample size is pretty small.  The only one that comes to mind, Dave Leitao back to DePaul, wound up with a much less successful second tour of duty. 

77smooth

• Walk-On
« Reply #460 on: March 25, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
Lou Carnesecca, St. John's.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #461 on: March 25, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
The fact he hasn’t really been mentioned for jobs to me seems like he isn’t putting his name out there to writers either.

Wojo isn’t being mentioned for jobs because he committed the biggest sin a coach can—he was a loser at Marquette.  In college sports, you can lie, cheat, scandalize yourself in other, more personal ways, whatever.  If you can win, you’ll keep getting chances, even if your success was just a flash in the pan like Tom Crean or Frank Martin.

Wojo was given a long time to prove himself on a big stage, and he failed spectacularly.  The stink of his time at Marquette hasn’t worn off, and that’s why he’s not being mentioned for any jobs.  I predict he’ll go back to Duke’s bench as an assistant if Scheyer offers him a spot.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 25, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »
Lou Carnesecca, St. John's.

Lute Henson

panda

• All American
« Reply #463 on: March 25, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
Wojo isn’t being mentioned for jobs because he committed the biggest sin a coach can—he was a loser at Marquette.  In college sports, you can lie, cheat, scandalize yourself in other, more personal ways, whatever.  If you can win, you’ll keep getting chances, even if your success was just a flash in the pan like Tom Crean or Frank Martin.

Wojo was given a long time to prove himself on a big stage, and he failed spectacularly.  The stink of his time at Marquette hasn’t worn off, and that’s why he’s not being mentioned for any jobs.  I predict he’ll go back to Duke’s bench as an assistant if Scheyer offers him a spot.

Coach K coaching tree isn't highly regarded in coaching circles either. He would be well suited to take an assistant job outside the K circle, one to prove he's comfortable in different situations and two to prove he's willing to grind his way back to a high level job. I think he'll have a hard time getting hired to a job he'd like if he doesn't do those two things.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #464 on: March 25, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »

He didn't fail "spectacularly."  He wasn't Bob Dukiet for Christ sakes.  He made NCAA tournaments.  He recruited well.  He had ranked teams.  Many mid-major teams would be fine with what he did here.

There are numerous examples of coaches who sucked at the P6 level and did fine mid major.  John Groce, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant, etc.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:53:44 PM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #465 on: March 25, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »

He didn't fail "spectacularly."  He wasn't Bob Dukiet for Christ sakes.  He made NCAA tournaments.  He recruited well.  He had ranked teams.  Many mid-major teams would be fine with what he did here.

There are numerous examples of coaches who sucked at the P6 level and did fine mid major.  John Groce, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant, etc.

In my opinion, if Wojo wants to get back into coaching, it would have to be a certain level of job. I don’t think his stock is high enough to get that level of job. That’s why I think his best option would be NBA assistant or top assistant somewhere that’s not Duke.

He was very picky about his first head coaching job. I’m thinking while he’s going to be pretty picky until financially he needs to get back into coaching.

• All American
« Reply #466 on: March 25, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
In my opinion, if Wojo wants to get back into coaching, it would have to be a certain level of job. I don’t think his stock is high enough to get that level of job. That’s why I think his best option would be NBA assistant or top assistant somewhere that’s not Duke.

He was very picky about his first head coaching job. I’m thinking while he’s going to be pretty picky until financially he needs to get back into coaching.

I don't disagree with that at all.  I am sure that if he put his name out there for those jobs, he would get a look.   I mean, have people looked at the list of current D1 coaches?  There are coaches with significant worse records that Wojo at the P6 level who are currently coaching mid-major.  Pat Chambers and Tim Miles are both on D1 benches right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 25, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »
I’m assuming Lute Henson is actually Lou Henson?
I was in law school at Illinois when he first arrived there. He would come to discuss the program pre-season at lunchtime once a year. He was always approachable and hilarious.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2022, 03:40:07 PM »
I’m assuming Lute Henson is actually Lou Henson?
I was in law school at Illinois when he first arrived there. He would come to discuss the program pre-season at lunchtime once a year. He was always approachable and hilarious.

Lou Do, yes…although I was being dry as Lute had that health incident on his leave of absence where he went off the deep end when KO filled in.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #469 on: March 25, 2022, 04:29:51 PM »

Agreed - failing to live up to standards does not equal "failing spectacularly". 

I don't think Wojo gets (or takes) a mid-major job because his biggest positive was his recruiting.  However, recruiting to a mid-major is not an easy sell, particularly in the transfer age.  Successful mid-major coaches can coach up mid-major talent and/or are really good in-game coaches.  Wojo's neither of those things, and everyone knows it at this point.  His next job will likely be as a top assistant (again) at a top P6 program, and I have no doubt he'll do a good job. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #470 on: March 25, 2022, 04:53:37 PM »
Right. But if people stopped repeating their opinions on Scoop, it would be really quiet here.

I mean we also know that Lenny’s doesn’t like Wojo right?  He doesn’t need to selectively quote to change the OP’s point.

I didn’t “change his point”. Whether or not he eventually gave up projo status was beside his point. His point was that wojo was good at certain aspects of running a program and that he hopes he gets another shot at running one. My counterpoint was that unless you’re good at coaching basketball (Wojo wasn’t) recruiting nice kids, etc., really doeasn’t matter any more than a nice bedside manner matters for a poor surgeon or a rapport with the flight attendants matters for a lousy pilot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #471 on: March 25, 2022, 05:35:27 PM »

Are we surprised?  Look at the hyperbole in this thread.  People are acting like Frank Martin is a hack because he didn't win resoundingly at South Carolina, a school with 1 non-Frank Martin NCAA appearance in 25 years and whose last NCAA victory, aside from his FF run, happened while Al was still coaching MU.  And he still only had 2 losing seasons in conference in his final 8 years, and one of those was the COVID year.

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 25, 2022, 07:31:16 PM »
I didn’t “change his point”. Whether or not he eventually gave up projo status was beside his point. His point was that wojo was good at certain aspects of running a program and that he hopes he gets another shot at running one. My counterpoint was that unless you’re good at coaching basketball (Wojo wasn’t) recruiting nice kids, etc., really doeasn’t matter any more than a nice bedside manner matters for a poor surgeon or a rapport with the flight attendants matters for a lousy pilot.

He acknowledged that. You snipped his point to make yourself look smart by countering a point he had already made.  Sorry I called you out on your dishonesty but we can all see through it.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #473 on: March 25, 2022, 09:31:57 PM »

agreed. Lots of schools would be fine w/Woj’s MU results.  Winning cumulative record. Clean. Graduated players.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:33:50 PM by Viper »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #474 on: March 25, 2022, 10:37:50 PM »
agreed. Lots of schools would be fine w/Woj’s MU results.  Winning cumulative record. Clean. Graduated players.

If lots of schools would be fine with the results you mentioned, Bruce Weber would be the hottest commodity on this year’s coaching carousel.