[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 96403 times)

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2022, 08:25:52 AM »
Have to think he was...encouraged to leave by UF.  He was making $3MM a year so its not like UGA is gonna give him a massive raise and its unquestionably a worse job

I'm guessing you're right - a bit like Shaka leaving Texas. 

I could see the UF job being Pitino's last hurrah.  He could get them back into the national spotlight pretty quickly.  Ironically Iona plays UF in the NIT this week, so the interview couldn't be easier. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2022, 09:11:06 AM »
The Athletic is reporting McDermott (along with Archie MIller and Wes Miller) as a leading candidate for LSU.

https://theathletic.com/3179272/2022/03/12/lsu-mens-basketball-coaching-candidates-archie-miller-greg-mcdermott-and-wes-miller-lead-brian-hamiltons-list/

"Greg McDermott, Creighton head coach. Stay with us. We’re not sure how McDermott would fare in the SEC’s piranha-infested recruiting waters. But he’s 57 years old and he reportedly makes less than $2 million a year at Creighton. And he’s an extremely good ball coach who would put an entertaining, winning product on the floor. Maybe Woodward makes an offer McDermott can’t refuse and McDermott endures the rebuild with an eye to finishing his career with a lot of money and lot of wins once LSU is back on track."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »
The Athletic is reporting McDermott (along with Archie MIller and Wes Miller) as a leading candidate for LSU.

https://theathletic.com/3179272/2022/03/12/lsu-mens-basketball-coaching-candidates-archie-miller-greg-mcdermott-and-wes-miller-lead-brian-hamiltons-list/

"Greg McDermott, Creighton head coach. Stay with us. We’re not sure how McDermott would fare in the SEC’s piranha-infested recruiting waters. But he’s 57 years old and he reportedly makes less than $2 million a year at Creighton. And he’s an extremely good ball coach who would put an entertaining, winning product on the floor. Maybe Woodward makes an offer McDermott can’t refuse and McDermott endures the rebuild with an eye to finishing his career with a lot of money and lot of wins once LSU is back on track."

Woodward will swing bigger than that.  No offense to McDermott who did great work this year, but this is going to be a search that will take big shots at big names.

Secondly, McDermott would be well out his comfort zone.  That’s a terrible fit
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2022, 09:29:53 AM »
Woodward will swing bigger than that.

The SEC has really prioritized their schools pursuing marquee coaches. Not sure McDermott has the tournament resume for that job, unless they make another run this year. Of the Miller brothers, I feel like Sean might be more of a fit. Better recruiter than his brother, though LSU might not want to deal with someone who has potential sanctions hanging over after the Will Wade experience.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »
The SEC has really prioritized their schools pursuing marquee coaches. Not sure McDermott has the tournament resume for that job, unless they make another run this year. Of the Miller brothers, I feel like Sean might be more of a fit. Better recruiter than his brother, though LSU might not want to deal with someone who has potential sanctions hanging over after the Will Wade experience.

I could see McDermott chase a bigger job given his age but I’d be surprised if it’s LSU.

Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:17 AM »
I could see McDermott chase a bigger job given his age but I’d be surprised if it’s LSU.

I think the Ohio State gig that Holtmann got a few years ago would've been a better fit. If McDermott goes, I think the Big 10 or (oddly) Pac-12 would be better fits for him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »
So LSU fires Wade for the FBI probe, while hiring McDermott?

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2022, 09:55:36 AM »
Woodward will swing bigger than that.  No offense to McDermott who did great work this year, but this is going to be a search that will take big shots at big names.

Secondly, McDermott would be well out his comfort zone.  That’s a terrible fit

All arrows pointing toward Shaka.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2022, 09:59:09 AM »

Well muwarrior69 is LSU’s AD, so #donedeal

panda

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2022, 10:03:05 AM »

Conversely - big name coaches may not want to deal with possible sanctions incoming at LSU.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2022, 10:05:14 AM »
Florida must go after Niko Medved.  We all remember how well it worked last time they raided CSU.

Don't @ me, don't care if its not him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2022, 10:08:10 AM »

Exactly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »
Exactly.

My guess is lsu fires will wade and then self imposes sanctions to avoid ncaa action.

I don’t think lsu cares about perception of hiring a McDermott type but the bigger issue will be a big name wanting to deal with some sort of sanctions incoming.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2022, 10:19:43 AM »
My guess is lsu fires will wade and then self imposes sanctions to avoid ncaa action.

I don’t think lsu cares about perception of hiring a McDermott type but the bigger issue will be a big name wanting to deal with some sort of sanctions incoming.

I think LSU cares very much about the perception of hiring a McDemott type.  LSU's biggest concern is keeping the FBI and NCAA as far away from their football program as possible.  If their basketball program is causing the NCAA and FBI to sniff around their athletic department, that's a major issue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Exactly.

I think his point is that if you want a coach that separates your program away from the FBI probe, McDermott probably isn’t sitting at the top of the list.

panda

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
I think LSU cares very much about the perception of hiring a McDemott type.  LSU's biggest concern is keeping the FBI and NCAA as far away from their football program as possible.  If their basketball program is causing the NCAA and FBI to sniff around their athletic department, that's a major issue.

They care so much they made the change immediately after the ncaa wiretaps came out and the ncaa investigation started.

Oh wait…

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2022, 10:46:00 AM »
They care so much they made the change immediately after the ncaa wiretaps came out and the ncaa investigation started.

Oh wait…

Right.  After the NCAA and FBI was already involved...

They can't just fire the guy before the NOA comes out.  They now don't pay him a penny more than what he had already been paid.  They were already sniffing around, they can't reverse time.

There's a reason that every player from that team was **encouraged** to go pro, even though many of them were not close to being an NBA player.  Once you aren't an NCAA student athlete you aren't obligated to talk to the NCAA in their investigations.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:48:20 AM by BLM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2022, 10:49:02 AM »

Oh wait…

Sounds like the delay was all contractual. There was an out clause if he had a Level 1 violation, and until the Notice of Allegations came through, they didn't have the material proof to fire for cause. As soon as that proof was there, Wade was gone. Not saying LSU are angels or anything, but I think the delay was more because of the NCAA's delay and lawyers.

panda

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2022, 10:56:31 AM »
Right.  After the NCAA and FBI was already involved...

They can't just fire the guy before the NOA comes out.  They now don't pay him a penny more than what he had already been paid.  They were already sniffing around, they can't reverse time.

There's a reason that every player from that team was **encouraged** to go pro, even though many of them were not close to being an NBA player.  Once you aren't an NCAA student athlete you aren't obligated to talk to the NCAA in their investigations.

Louisville, Arizona and OK State all acted before lsu.

That’s not swift.

panda

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2022, 10:57:27 AM »
Sounds like the delay was all contractual. There was an out clause if he had a Level 1 violation, and until the Notice of Allegations came through, they didn't have the material proof to fire for cause. As soon as that proof was there, Wade was gone. Not saying LSU are angels or anything, but I think the delay was more because of the NCAA's delay and lawyers.

It’s lsu - the money is there for a buyout if they really cared.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »

If LSU is willing to hire 60-year-old, devoid-of-charisma Brian Kelly to head its football program, its certainly not out of the realm of possibility to get McDermott. The idea of "fit" isn't as important as someone they believe will keep the program out of trouble for awhile and has a strong understanding of the Xs & Os of the game.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
Crean to LSU?

Only half-joking. If they are focused on rebuilding a program, both cleanly and with marketing savvy, Crean did that at IU. Even got some results for a few years. Overall. he's proven to be a better program builder than a coach, so the fanbase might not like him so much. Still, maybe there will be behind the scenes conversations.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2022, 11:24:57 AM »
Crean to LSU?

Only half-joking. If they are focused on rebuilding a program, both cleanly and with marketing savvy, Crean did that at IU. Even got some results for a few years. Overall. he's proven to be a better program builder than a coach, so the fanbase might not like him so much. Still, maybe there will be behind the scenes conversations.

I think Georgia shows his program building and enthusiasm days are done. If Crean comes back to coaching, a smaller established job in the A-10 or something similar would probably suit him better. I think his best move is behind a desk, though. He understands the game and communicates well; he'd be an asset for FS1, ESPN, or someone similar.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2022, 11:31:02 AM »
If LSU is willing to hire 60-year-old, devoid-of-charisma Brian Kelly to head its football program, its certainly not out of the realm of possibility to get McDermott. The idea of "fit" isn't as important as someone they believe will keep the program out of trouble for awhile and has a strong understanding of the Xs & Os of the game.

Agreed.  So they would hire a guy who is in FBI investigations...why?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »
I think Georgia shows his program building and enthusiasm days are done. If Crean comes back to coaching, a smaller established job in the A-10 or something similar would probably suit him better. I think his best move is behind a desk, though. He understands the game and communicates well; he'd be an asset for FS1, ESPN, or someone similar.

I agree with this. He brings a lot to the table in the broadcast/desk role.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback