[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105209 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #725 on: December 14, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
does  the MU 1977 natty count?

is hologram Al trying to get the Texas job?

Tubby smith also won a national championship, he also crapped out at his last three stops. There's a reason he's not coaching. As a program Kentucky still can tout that success but it shows a coach hasn't adapted to modern times
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #726 on: December 14, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »
If they can't get someone already winning and recruiting at that level, where do they go? Someone out of work like Chris Mack? Maybe the next level HM like Buzz or Mike Young? A top mid-major like Anthony Grant or Grant McCasland? The hottest name after the tourney?

Outside of McCasland, pretty sure every one of those options would make Texas fans riot, and for good reason.

Chris Mack was bad at Louisville, even without the Gaudio drama.

Mike Young has done a nice job at VT, but I can't see Texas being happy with a 60 year old who has spent 90% of his career at a low major and won a single NCAA game in 20+ years of being a D1 head coach.

Why would any major hire Anthony Grant, much less Texas?  Mediocrity personified at Bama.  Been ok at Dayton, caught lightning in a bottle with a Jr/Sr laden team with a lottery pick in 19-20 (that beat nobody non-con and feasted on a down A10 whose 2nd best team would have been middle of the pack in the BE and whose 4th best team would have been battling with Depaul and Gtown at the bottom.)  Since then he had a medicore year, missed the tourney last year even beating Kansas, Miami, and Belmont non-con, then came into 2022 as a pre-season top 25 before losing 4 of the 5 meaningful games they played early on.  (Not picking on you, I saw people floating his name for jobs last year).  He's in his late 50s by next year, I think he's found his level.

I hope he holds off as long as possible. Better on the bench than in the studio. Izzo on TV reminds me of a high school gym teacher. Probably helps him as a coach but he'd not someone who can talk over your head.

Assuming he coaches another 4-5 years, he'll be 71-72 when he retires.  He's not gonna go TV.  He's gonna sit at the lake house in Grand Haven and make token appearances at MSU events.

the MU sweet 16’s & elite 8 don’t count?

Buzz's MU stuff doesn't count because its 3 jobs ago.  Shaka was interesting to bring up VCU success cause he left to go to a huge football school that was an interesting fit.  Buzz has been at 2 completely different schools, in different conferences, in different geographies.  That matters more than something 10 years ago 3 jobs ago.  Especially when you have recent history at a school in the same state in the same conference.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #727 on: December 14, 2022, 05:43:50 PM »
And that's the problem. There just isn't a Beard level coach they can get. Also, Mack had Louisville ranked #1 in year 2 and got hamstrung by COVID, like many coaches did. The Gaudio stuff wasn't great, but they were light years better with Mack than they've been since firing him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #728 on: December 14, 2022, 06:19:00 PM »
Marquette's 1977 national championship doesn't count toward Buzz Williams' job prospects at Texas.

Or are we talking about something different now?
different…but at this point,  never mind.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #729 on: December 14, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
And that's the problem. There just isn't a Beard level coach they can get. Also, Mack had Louisville ranked #1 in year 2 and got hamstrung by COVID, like many coaches did. The Gaudio stuff wasn't great, but they were light years better with Mack than they've been since firing him.

Yeah, and interestingly, for as long tenured and accomplished a coach he is, Rick Barnes' coaching tree is pretty terrible.  I can't think of any Texas assistants or alums who are coaches anywhere near the level they'd want.  The only one I can think of in a higher level job is Rob Lanier, who was an assistant under Barnes at UT twice, but he was pretty mediocre as a HC and his start at SMU hasn't been great.  Jerrance Howard could have been an intriguing pick, but I'm pretty sure that bridge was burned on his way out.

They could do way worse than McCasland, but I don't know how sexy he is for a fickle fan base.

An interesting name who likely won't get traction...Will Weaver.  From Austin, was a undergrad running camps then managing under Barnes.  Then became an assistant for 4-5 years.  Became friendly with Sam Hinkie and then became an assistant with the Sixers and Nets.  Did a great job for 2 seasons in the G League and won coach of the year.  Then went to Sydney in the NBL and won there before COVID sidetracked him, then he went to the Rockets for 2 seasons.  Now he's coaching Paris in the French LNB.  Only 37 I believe.  Definitely think he gets a high level job in the NBA before long.  But I think Texas would be appealing to him.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #730 on: December 14, 2022, 08:05:12 PM »
Cal's 63 already and there's speculation he only agreed to the Gonzaga series with a game at the Kennel in 6 years because he doesn't plan to be around for it. I could definitely see Muss, maybe even Nate Oats. But that's trying to find another Chris Beard, and those types are rare and hard to pry away.

If they can't get someone already winning and recruiting at that level, where do they go? Someone out of work like Chris Mack? Maybe the next level HM like Buzz or Mike Young? A top mid-major like Anthony Grant or Grant McCasland? The hottest name after the tourney?

Sure seems like a program that will just never hit the highs they expect if they can't get this to work out with Beard.

They'll roll up the Brinks truck to buy out Chris Jans' contract at Mississippi State and be done with it.  Winner at every level he's coached, top-5 ranked and 9-0 in year one at Mississippi State.  Plus takes out a future conference foe.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #731 on: December 14, 2022, 08:22:03 PM »
They'll roll up the Brinks truck to buy out Chris Jans' contract at Mississippi State and be done with it.  Winner at every level he's coached, top-5 ranked and 9-0 in year one at Mississippi State.  Plus takes out a future conference foe.

You think they’re gonna need a Brinks truck for Chris Jans???  After one year coaching at the high major level?

If they’re rolling it out it will be for the likes of Musselman.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #732 on: December 14, 2022, 09:12:08 PM »

You think they’re gonna need a Brinks truck for Chris Jans???  After one year coaching at the high major level?

If they’re rolling it out it will be for the likes of Musselman.

And fired not much more than 5 years ago for drunkenly groping in bars.

Could Brad Underwood be swayed back to the Southwest?  Beard is making $5M, I think Underwood makes $3.5 at U of I.  And Austin>>>>Champaign

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #733 on: December 14, 2022, 09:19:47 PM »
Yeah...because drunk groping is a step up from battery.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #734 on: December 14, 2022, 09:31:35 PM »
Will Wade.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #735 on: December 15, 2022, 04:51:46 AM »
Kevin Durant comes home.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #736 on: December 15, 2022, 05:26:59 AM »
i've always liked bobby hurley 's chances as a coach.  he's off to a nice start at asu and he seems to have that shaka mentality with the players. 

now with ucla and usc leaving pac 10 for the big 20 or whatever they are now, pac 8 may not seem as desirable to players except for the weather and the umm, persons having XX chromosomes at birth

don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #737 on: December 15, 2022, 07:50:11 AM »
i've always liked bobby hurley 's chances as a coach.  he's off to a nice start at asu and he seems to have that shaka mentality with the players. 

now with ucla and usc leaving pac 10 for the big 20 or whatever they are now, pac 8 may not seem as desirable to players except for the weather and the umm, persons having XX chromosomes at birth

Why are you so weird

MU82

• All American
« Reply #738 on: December 15, 2022, 07:54:21 AM »
If one looked at Hurley's record going into this season and didn't know it was him, one would ask, "How does this guy keep his job?"

Very similar record to Wojo ... but in a weaker conference and with two fewer winning seasons.

Off to a good start this season but we'll see. DePaul has had 10-1 starts, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #739 on: December 15, 2022, 08:03:14 AM »
Yeah Hurley is in his eighth season at ASU. He's made the tournament twice, last time in 2018-19, and not won any games.

We will see how he ends up this year, but I think it is safe to say that his tenure has largely been disappointing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #740 on: December 15, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
ASU has way lower expectations than MU to be fair. Probably higher than I'm giving credit for but a Wojo esque resume likely keeps a job there
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #741 on: December 15, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »
ASU has way lower expectations than MU to be fair. Probably higher than I'm giving credit for but a Wojo esque resume likely keeps a job there

I know MU82 compared his tenure to Wojo, but I am not. So far, he has accomplished less in his tenure than his predecessor, Herb Sendek, who was fired after nine seasons.  And Herb Sendek is about as mediocre a coach as there is in college basketball - hard to believe he's in his 26th season as a head coach.  He has a career winning percentage of .576 and a conference record well under .500.

I think it is safe to say that they were expecting more when they hired him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #742 on: December 15, 2022, 08:30:38 AM »

I know MU82 compared his tenure to Wojo, but I am not. So far, he has accomplished less in his tenure than his predecessor, Herb Sendek, who was fired after nine seasons.  And Herb Sendek is about as mediocre a coach as there is in college basketball - hard to believe he's in his 26th season as a head coach.  He has a career winning percentage of .576 and a conference record well under .500.

I think it is safe to say that they were expecting more when they hired him.

What ASU didn't know was that Nate Oats was the man behind the man at Buffalo.

• All American
« Reply #743 on: December 15, 2022, 08:40:34 AM »
What ASU didn't know was that Nate Oats was the man behind the man at Buffalo.

Exactly.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #744 on: December 15, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »
yes i did realize bobby hurley's record going in to this season was tough to swallow, but i think there is more there than meets the eye.  he must be doing a lot of things right, but i'm sure the "W" column better be top heavy this year or he will join wojo in the studio.  just saying i like the guy, he's still a gym rat at heart and seems to connect with his players.  but rubber's gotta hit the road this year

oh, and to my buddy hards...just trying to get with the times man and be a little "woke" or whatever, but i'm the weird one?  that speaks volumes...cool!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »
yes i did realize bobby hurley's record going in to this season was tough to swallow, but i think there is more there than meets the eye.  he must be doing a lot of things right, but i'm sure the "W" column better be top heavy this year or he will join wojo in the studio.  just saying i like the guy, he's still a gym rat at heart and seems to connect with his players.  but rubber's gotta hit the road this year

oh, and to my buddy hards...just trying to get with the times man and be a little "woke" or whatever, but i'm the weird one?  that speaks volumes...cool!

Yes, you're being weird.

• All American
« Reply #746 on: December 15, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »

I don't know what you mean by "more than meets the eye." He's been there 8 years. It is completely his program. At this point, his record and accomplishments are self-evident.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #747 on: December 15, 2022, 02:03:21 PM »
Went to an ASU game last year....campus was very average and the arena was awful.  We had great seats...front row....and there was a huge sub-woofer or speaker (i really have no clue) in each corner and right in front of us that was so damn loud i just reached over the railing and unplugged it.  The one cool thing was when the game was over the players all did a lap around the floor and gave high-fives to the fans, and all the kids knew to run to the tunnel area and they got high-fives and some brief conversations with hurley and the players.  My son really enjoyed that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #748 on: December 15, 2022, 02:23:23 PM »

2 out of 10 for the alarming lack of basketball acumen
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #749 on: December 15, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »
2 out of 10 for the alarming lack of basketball acumen

What did you do to earn a 2 week bancation?

feedback