Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: N ear M iss D ay  (Read 7697 times)

MDMU04

• All American
Re: N ear M iss D ay
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »
+1 on Joplin.  It feels like his play has improved a lot lately with pretty limited opportunity.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »
+1 on Joplin.  It feels like his play has improved a lot lately with pretty limited opportunity.

Jop is going to be a beast offensively.  Let's hope the rest of his game comes around. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2022, 03:04:38 PM »
Offseason is obviously big for everyone but if he can put on 15 lbs of muscle before next season that will make a big difference.  Hopefully his frame can accommodate that.

Oso for sure needs some more muscle, but MU really plays 4 on 5 as both centers have zero outside shot which means they can never do pick and pop, only can dunk.  The offense will be much better if he could recruit somebody in the middle that can at least show some offense

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »

Oso for sure needs some more muscle, but MU really plays 4 on 5 as both centers have zero outside shot which means they can never do pick and pop, only can dunk.  The offense will be much better if he could recruit somebody in the middle that can at least show some offense

No doubt about it. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2022, 03:12:34 PM »

Oso is a good free throw shooter.  I think he has the ability with more practice and comfort. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2022, 03:18:50 PM »

I don't know which Oso you're watching, but the kid can do way more than dunk.  He's got some of the best handles on the team (especially for a big) and when he drives he flashes NBA potential.  If he learns to shoot the 3 or even 15 footers he will be very tough to stop.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2022, 03:20:02 PM »
Oso is a good free throw shooter.  I think he has the ability with more practice and comfort.

Yes, surprising he does not even try it, I was told he has zero shot, surprised he recruit in this era that can not shot a three!

connie

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »
Butler has been playing well.  Came out with a good plan and MU adjusted.  Nice to see.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2022, 03:23:43 PM »
I don't know which Oso you're watching, but the kid can do way more than dunk.  He's got some of the best handles on the team (especially for a big) and when he drives he flashes NBA potential.  If he learns to shoot the 3 or even 15 footers he will be very tough to stop.

I watch a center that is quick but only shows flashes, once today that he made. Does not rebound and is as soft as they come.  Never gets a rebound and powers it up, built like a wing.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
could not capitalize on the 16 turnovers...UGGGGG
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2022, 03:41:28 PM »
Happy the team won in front of a packed house on National Marquette Day.

Nice to see the youngsters contributing at key moments.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2022, 03:46:19 PM »

I watch a center that is quick but only shows flashes, once today that he made. Does not rebound and is as soft as they come.  Never gets a rebound and powers it up, built like a wing.

He also has a ton of potential and room to grow.  He played a total of, what, 38 minutes all of last season? 

Yeah, his hands and him getting pushed around underneath can be frustrating.  He's also going to make contributions this year and has an offseason to really get stronger and better. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2022, 03:48:56 PM »
Stevie and Joplin will both be very good 4 year players. The kind of players programs are built on.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2022, 03:52:06 PM »
I see a guy who in 2 years and 25 lbs of muscle is going to be an absolute among post players.  Ball handling, passing, seeing the floor.    A jump shot and look out.   He is getting pushed around right now, but he kept fighting and had some absolutely crucial defensive plays down the stretch.

If MU faces Gonzaga, I see one of the two guys I think can actually make Holmgren work.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:05:55 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2022, 04:02:13 PM »
7 footers that can shoot the three well enough that you actually want them to shoot the three are players that go to Kentucky and Duke, not Marquette. I’m good with our 7 footers knowing their roll. Sure guys like Golden, Nunje, and Freemantle are able to make a 3 pointer, and heck, maybe even get hot for a full game and that makes the difference in a game. But as an opposing fan, I consider a possession that ends with those guys shooting jumpers as a win.

Watson and Sonogo have zero ability to shoot a jump shot. Are we saying Providence and UCONN are playing 4 on 5 when those guys are on the court? Because that’s a hard disagree from me.

Totally good with Shaka recruiting bigs who can run the floor, block shots, and dunk the ball. Jaxson Hayes, Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, and Jericho Simms were okay with those roles, too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2022, 04:06:12 PM »
7 footers that can shoot the three well enough that you actually want them to shoot the three are players that go to Kentucky and Duke, not Marquette. I’m good with our 7 footers knowing their roll. Sure guys like Golden, Nunje, and Freemantle are able to make a 3 pointer, and heck, maybe even get hot for a full game and that makes the difference in a game. But as an opposing fan, I consider a possession that ends with those guys shooting jumpers as a win.

Watson and Sonogo have zero ability to shoot a jump shot. Are we saying Providence and UCONN are playing 4 on 5 when those guys are on the court? Because that’s a hard disagree from me.

Totally good with Shaka recruiting bigs who can run the floor, block shots, and dunk the ball. Jaxson Hayes, Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, and Jericho Simms were okay with those roles, too.

Also, POY front runner Tschiebwe can't shoot for sh it. Guy just dominates down low and eats glass.

Oso needs to get stronger 100%. But a jump shot is not nearly as necessary, could help. But not needed.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2022, 04:09:24 PM »
Crowd (not including students) was glued to their seats until the last 8 minutes. A couple people tried to stand near me and had to sit down because no one joined them. Thought we'd get more energy on NMD. Students were excellent

Sean Jones in the house and got a shout out from Mike Jacabowski. He looked like he was having a great time.  Real short but really thick

Got the chance to be at an event where Nevada Smith took questions from some fans. Warned us that the rebounding was a personnel issue and would not be fixed this year but that they should be doing better than they have been.

Defense was really good for the last 28 minutes. Nice to see that trend reverse.

Was disappointed that we didn't attack more.  Butler is excellent at defending the three and terrible at protecting the paint. How are Elliott and Joplin getting to the bucket but not Lewis, Kolek, or Kam?

Nze completely stymied Justin until the end. Punked him for some boards too. Glad he woke up at the end. For those saying he's not ready to go pro... he probably helped his draft status more than hurt it today. Scouts don't care if you have a bad shooting game or get beat a few times on d. They care about potential. What Lewis showed them in the last 8 minutes likely caught their attention.

Finally and most importantly #DLTD
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »
Crowd (not including students) was glued to their seats until the last 8 minutes. A couple people tried to stand near me and had to sit down because no one joined them. Thought we'd get more energy on NMD. Students were excellent

Sean Jones in the house and got a shout out from Mike Jacabowski. He looked like he was having a great time.  Real short but really thick

Got the chance to be at an event where Nevada Smith took questions from some fans. Warned us that the rebounding was a personnel issue and would not be fixed this year but that they should be doing better than they have been.

Defense was really good for the last 28 minutes. Nice to see that trend reverse.

Was disappointed that we didn't attack more.  Butler is excellent at defending the three and terrible at protecting the paint. How are Elliott and Joplin getting to the bucket but not Lewis, Kolek, or Kam?

Nze completely stymied Justin until the end. Punked him for some boards too. Glad he woke up at the end. For those saying he's not ready to go pro... he probably helped his draft status more than hurt it today. Scouts don't care if you have a bad shooting game or get beat a few times on d. They care about potential. What Lewis showed them in the last 8 minutes likely caught their attention.

Said it all game. The fact that Greg, probably the worst dribble and move guy on the team is the only one consistently attacking Butler in two games is mind blowing. We have a lot of other guys that could really have their way against them. And we had Butler picking up fouls away from the hoop all game that most teams havnet been getting called for against us. Had a chance to really get points by attacking.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »

Scouting report. Teams want to run Greg and Joplin off the line. Teams want Morsell and Lewis to roam around the perimeter. Easier to drive when you can attack a hard closeout than it is to drive when the defense is laying off your jumper.

Also, I’m of the opinion that Lewis won’t prove a ton more by staying in college. But I don’t think this was a game NBA scouts will have been impressed by. The jump shot is going to make or break him. That’s the skill that will make him an NBA level player. He has the size and athleticism.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
Anyone know who they guy with the sweet jacket and even sweeter hair was sitting coutside who got a lot of tv time? That was a nice look!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2022, 04:27:37 PM »
Is that the jump around guy?   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2022, 04:28:36 PM »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »
Also, POY front runner Tschiebwe can't shoot for sh it. Guy just dominates down low and eats glass.

Oso needs to get stronger 100%. But a jump shot is not nearly as necessary, could help. But not needed.

When your as skinny as Oso, he will never be able to eat glass.  He adds 15 pounds you may not even see a difference.  But since he has no low post game, he a 15 footer would be nice

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2022, 04:53:02 PM »
I just want Oso to gain twenty pounds.

Win is a win.

He should talk to Butch Lee.

feedback