[Today at 06:12:30 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mr. Dodds Has A New MU Basketball TV Show  (Read 22330 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Mr. Dodds Has A New MU Basketball TV Show
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2022, 08:04:28 PM »
The concept of an MU insider hosting a weekly show about MU hoops is what got Dodds started in the first place.   Radio 30 years ago.  I am glad he is trying.   He is not a good interviewer.  C'est la vie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »
Yeah, he does try to steer the conversation off the bat.  What he needs to do is to hold those thoughts/questions for later in the conversation. But he is not a TV guy.
This weeks episode is a classic illustration . Pipines starts out the interview with friendly small talk about Nevadas and his family . He then finds common ground at Ithaca University and Nevada enjoys that . He then segues to How Nevada was a great shooter when he plays . We learn Nevada shot 95 percent from the line and 46 from three . So now the interview could really get specific to Marquette and Nevada's role in player development . Instead Dodds gives an epistle on shooting and invokes some Rick Majerus line.

Pipines eventually gets things on track and we learn how Stevie Mitchell has made the most improvement year to year .  Supposedly there will be a continuation of the interview next week with more detail on individual returning players .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2022, 09:04:15 PM »
This weeks episode is a classic illustration . Pipines starts out the interview with friendly small talk about Nevadas and his family . He then finds common ground at Ithaca University and Nevada enjoys that . He then segues to How Nevada was a great shooter when he plays . We learn Nevada shot 95 percent from the line and 46 from three . So now the interview could really get specific to Marquette and Nevada's role in player development . Instead Dodds gives an epistle on shooting and invokes some Rick Majerus line.

Pipines eventually gets things on track and we learn how Stevie Mitchell has made the most improvement year to year .  Supposedly there will be a continuation of the interview next week with more detail on individual returning players .

I agree with this analysis.  I was impressed with Nevada.  First time I've heard him talk, and he has an assuredness about him, quiet confidence, and no pretense. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2022, 12:16:45 AM »
Back in the day, I sat next to John Cary in Dr. Pick's English class in Marquette Hall. Several basketball players, Chones, Lackey, Spychalla, Frazier, and Ostrand, were also enrolled in the class. The final exam in December was scheduled for 8 am. About 20 minutes into the final, the TA came over to John and stated, "Frazier's not here. Here's a dime, go call him to get his ass over here."
Sure enough about 30 minutes later, George walked in to start the exam. Don't know if #50 was given additional time to complete the blue book exam or not, but I know he was never going to be there without John getting his ass outta bed, aina?

If you know John Cary you know that he could definitely talk on the phone.  Dude won't shut up sometimes. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2022, 01:35:27 PM »
Can someone fill me in on why there is so much dislike for these guys?

Seems pretty clear that they care about the program a great deal.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »

Dodds has a long affiliation with the program, but he's a poor interviewer and largely seems to live in the past. Though I think most of the antipathy toward him comes from his moderation of the Marquette Hoops site, where you aren't really allowed to disagree with him. He bans people for different opinions, and sometimes even bans people that agree with him but are still willing to engage in two-sided discussions. His online persona is one that is excellent at alienating and ostracizing.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
Aka, a prick, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
A few have been kicked to the curb after paying cash money to pontificate on his site.

Why pay when you can ramble on and on and on here?

panda

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2022, 03:51:33 PM »

dodds you’re supposed to be posting on your own board

tower912

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2022, 03:54:51 PM »

They do.  But Dodds has alienated many people with how he moderates his site. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2022, 07:46:18 AM »
dodds you’re supposed to be posting on your own board

;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2022, 05:01:24 PM »
Latest episode has part 2 of Nevada Smith interview . Coach Smith gives details on what each current player in the team is working in .

Also more with John Cary , MU team manger 1969-1973.

This episode is well worth watching
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V4pEllOrTU&feature=youtu.be
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »
Glad to hear Oso is packing on the weight.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2022, 06:56:04 PM »
Dodds has a long affiliation with the program, but he's a poor interviewer and largely seems to live in the past. Though I think most of the antipathy toward him comes from his moderation of the Marquette Hoops site, where you aren't really allowed to disagree with him. He bans people for different opinions, and sometimes even bans people that agree with him but are still willing to engage in two-sided discussions. His online persona is one that is excellent at alienating and ostracizing.

Well said. In edition, he should turn over the keys to whatever his is putting on his show to someone with actual interviewing skills. The show comes off as a High School production.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2022, 07:42:29 PM »
Clueless Dodds apparently thinks putting up 150 shots a day in the off season is a good day’s work for a D-1 athlete

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2022, 07:54:02 PM »
But we actually got to hear from an assistant coach about incoming recruits and offseason workouts.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
Watched the show. Nevada Smith didn’t seem into it at all and just gave generic and hyperbolic answers (“best athlete in the country”, “best in the big east”, etc). The second half of the show was just hilariously bad and I felt some serious second hand embarrassment for Tom Pippins.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2022, 09:42:20 AM »
Watched the show. Nevada Smith didn’t seem into it at all and just gave generic and hyperbolic answers (“best athlete in the country”, “best in the big east”, etc). The second half of the show was just hilariously bad and I felt some serious second hand embarrassment for Tom Pippins.

Wonder if Pip is still using “know who I am” on the ladies
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2022, 09:50:50 AM »

Smith is the type who is probably best suited for more in-depth interviews, which is why he was so good on the Golden Breakdown. Talk strategy, how you use advanced numbers, and evaluation tools. For the average fan, I'm sure it was fine, but it could've been much more insightful. It was similar to when Smith was on Homer's show. If the guest has to spend the entire interview educating the interviewer on what they should even be talking about, you're never going to get more than surface deep.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2022, 12:27:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QKV3b3W2k

Scouting reports on the incoming players.     

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2022, 12:34:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QKV3b3W2k

Scouting reports on the incoming players.   
I think this is a repeat of a previous show where Nevada Smith gives his synopsis of the incoming players. 
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
Oops.    I probably should have watched it all before posting.     Hopefully the worst thing I do today. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2022, 01:16:49 PM »
Oops.    I probably should have watched it all before posting.     Hopefully the worst thing I do today.
Some people probably didn’t see the it the first time so alls well
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:13 PM »
Good show on George Thompson.  Worth Watching. Mr. Dodd's doesn't talk as much as normal so easier to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUglEXWbXsg
                       ---Al McGuire

GOO

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2022, 09:13:26 AM »
Good show on George Thompson.  Worth Watching. Mr. Dodd's doesn't talk as much as normal so easier to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUglEXWbXsg

I watched it and modified my post.

This show is a nice addition and a welcome addition for Marquette basketball coverage. No one else is doing this. Hopefully it continues during the season and is successful. Pippins is good, a professional.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:12:25 AM by GOO »

feedback