Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Possible Transfers?  (Read 10682 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Possible Transfers?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
I enjoyed my time at Marquette but I would not live in Milwaukee again if you paid me 500 grand a year.  I will take my current spot - Dallas - and the one before it - Nashville - all day every day.  I love the school, the program and the arena.  The city is a dump.

What year were you and how often do you get back? Because I graduated in 2014 and it looked night and day different from when I started in 2009 and on top of that it's already night and day different then when I graduated. Gone are the hundreds of just empty gravel lots, some older vacant buildings have businesses now, grand Ave mall is apparently redeveloped into a concept similar to the public market but with games and a real bar.

I have no desire to live in MKE again after 5yrs but wouldn't say no and certainly wouldn't call it a dump.
Maigh Eo for Sam

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2022, 01:13:02 PM »
Living in a city as a student vs. young grad vs family person is a totally different experience.  Having lived lots of places, the  Milwaukee metro area is great for a family especially after the last 10 years of development.  I could see not liking it as a student where MU's campus is located with limited mobility.  I think a true college town would be the most attractive in that regard. 

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2022, 01:14:24 PM »
OK, I'm an ex-Nashvillian, Marquette grad and former Chicagoan. I'd go back in a minute if I thought Milwaukee could get its fiscal house in order and attract some new employers. The chasm between rich and poor in Milwaukee is awful.

Nashville has growing pains. The Nashville I knew is largely gone, replaced by grotesque urban development.

All of that said, a city is what you make of it. If you complain about it being devoid of interest, a dump, etc., you'll miss out. If you dive in and take what each has, you'll do well.

Very fair statement and oh so true about Nashville.  I was at MU in the late 90’s and come back for a game every year.  When I lived in Philly (2010 - 2014) I was able to attend many games and lots of post season action.  I will come back in the summer some time and I’m sure that will give me a better feeling about the city of Milwaukee.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 01:14:44 PM »
I have a hard time believing he would say he doesn't like Milwaukee lol...what podcast i wanna hear this
Guessing it was the same podcast that I heard before the season started. I wasn’t fully tuned in but was pretty sure he said he didn’t like Milwaukee.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2022, 01:18:01 PM »
Living in a city as a student vs. young grad vs family person is a totally different experience.  Having lived lots of places, the  Milwaukee metro area is great for a family especially after the last 10 years of development.  I could see not liking it as a student where MU's campus is located with limited mobility.  I think a true college town would be the most attractive in that regard.

Any campus in a city is going to be what you make of it. I knew people who literally never left MU's campus and people who would bus around the whole city to see/do it all. If you're the former I could see being jealous of a "college town" if you're the latter then I'd say you'd have a larger appreciation for the various areas of the city that aren't water street and old world third.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
Why would anyone have a hard time believing a kid doesn’t like Milwaukee?  I lived there for four years and couldn’t wait to leave.  The city blows, especially this time of year.

I have to agree with this.  Not from Milwaukee or Wisconsin, and I am sure some here will hate this take, but Milwaukee is pretty terrible.  Had a great time at Marquette, and Milwaukee was a super fun place to go to college because drinking age is effectively 18.  But its a crap hole, and I am sure turns plenty of recruits away.  And the winters are brutal - coming from a Minnesotan - I honestly think they may be worse than here with that consistent wind.

That being said, I'd rather live in Milwaukee that plenty of other P6 podunk towns, so call it middle of the pack. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »
If recruits or current players read these hot takes, we won't be able to field a team.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
This is gonna be bad for recruiting.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »
If Milwaukee is pretty terrible and a crap hole……but also middle of the pack, I would love to hear how you describe the bottom of the pack.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »
I have to agree with this.  Not from Milwaukee or Wisconsin, and I am sure some here will hate this take, but Milwaukee is pretty terrible.  Had a great time at Marquette, and Milwaukee was a super fun place to go to college because drinking age is effectively 18.  But its a crap hole, and I am sure turns plenty of recruits away.  And the winters are brutal - coming from a Minnesotan - I honestly think they may be worse than here with that consistent wind.

That being said, I'd rather live in Milwaukee that plenty of other P6 podunk towns, so call it middle of the pack.

What years were you there and how much exploring did you do?

Milwaukee's been rated a bunch as great medium sized cities to move to. I'd take it over the vast majority of other midwestern cities. Both Great Plains and Lakes ones
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »
If Milwaukee is pretty terrible and a crap hole……but also middle of the pack, I would love to hear how you describe the bottom of the pack.

Also crapty.  Big 12 for example - the best conference in cbb - who the unnatural carnal knowledge would want to live in any of those towns but Forth Worth or Austin.  I'd take Milwaukee over most of them. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 01:52:05 PM »
What years were you there and how much exploring did you do?

Milwaukee's been rated a bunch as great medium sized cities to move to. I'd take it over the vast majority of other midwestern cities. Both Great Plains and Lakes ones

2012.  Lots of exploring. I lived there for 4 years straight with a car.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »

Fair, lots of people say "I explored! I went to Brady street, old world third, water street and the third ward!" And think that's the entire city.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion but at least you seem to have an informed opinion.
Maigh Eo for Sam

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
I enjoyed my time out East because of the history and ability to attend a billion sporting events within a three hour driving radius.  It was unbelievable as a sports fan.  I, a few times, hit three baseball games in three different cities on the same Friday through Sunday weekend.  For living purposes, North Texas and Nashville are pretty great. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2022, 01:58:01 PM »
The people who hate living in Milwaukee, it comes down to not tolerating the cold winters.  Yeah, there are other things that aren't great, but that's always the bottom line.

I love living in Milwaukee.   
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »
Maybe it's just me...but put me at the lakefront for about 80% of my days and I'm happy...and most of the truly sh1t weather comes during periods of the year when it's dark before/after work anyhow.  That's what basketball season is for.  Oh for those great Texas summers...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2022, 02:04:55 PM »
I enjoyed my time out East because of the history and ability to attend a billion sporting events within a three hour driving radius.  It was unbelievable as a sports fan.  I, a few times, hit three baseball games in three different cities on the same Friday through Sunday weekend.  For living purposes, North Texas and Nashville are pretty great.

Can't argue history. But within three hours you could go to 2 NBA teams, 3 high major D1 basketball team 2 NFL teams, an NHL team, 3 MLB teams. I could buy that argument if we're talking about twin cities or Detroit but not so much for Milwaukee. I'm not saying it's as dense as living in NYC and having your pick of Philly and Boston not to mention other smaller cities but milwaukees pretty set for easy access to major sports between itself, chicago, Green Bay, and Madison compared to the rest of its peers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
Milwaukee is far from the best city, but it is much further from a “crap hole.” The spring and summer are great. Winter sucks, but I’d much rather deal with a Milwaukee winter than a Texas summer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2022, 02:12:08 PM »
What is this referring to Brew? Has he announced he's transferring?  Pretty low level he plays, but some monster numbers this year.

No announcement, but if he doesn't declare for the Draft, I imagine he looks to move up a level. Combining my ideal transfer with an effort to derail talk about any of our current players transferring, because I think everyone eligible to return will.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2022, 02:13:52 PM »
Maybe it's just me...but put me at the lakefront for about 80% of my days and I'm happy...and most of the truly sh1t weather comes during periods of the year when it's dark before/after work anyhow.  That's what basketball season is for.  Oh for those great Texas summers...
Guy in our office did his masters in Austin. 90 days straight over 100 degrees and didn't rain once. Couldn’t pay me enough.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 02:18:29 PM »
Fun fact, I think. Unless my memory is real messed up.

I watched the ‘97 Gophers lose to Kentucky at a downtown bar (Water St somewhere, I think) with brad
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
The people who hate living in Milwaukee, it comes down to not tolerating the cold winters.  Yeah, there are other things that aren't great, but that's always the bottom line.

I love living in Milwaukee.

This.

I love living between Milwaukee and Chicago. Despite that, I hate the winters here so much that I would move to the Southwest in a minute if not for family.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 02:28:13 PM »
If the youngster is unhappy in Milwaukee, then he should do what he believes is best
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2022, 02:59:44 PM »
Fun fact, I think. Unless my memory is real messed up.

I watched the ‘97 Gophers lose to Kentucky at a downtown bar (Water St somewhere, I think) with brad

Correct!!!!!!!  We lived through the Mike Deane years together.  I still have the recording of my student radio call of the CUSA championship win over UNC Charlotte 25 years ago.  Holy smokes does time fly.  I don’t like it!   Lol

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
My wife and I have discussed retiring there.   We. discuss lots of places, but it is on our list.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback