Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?  (Read 27217 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2022, 09:47:25 PM »
Crickets from the gentleman who was asked to provide evidence after calling Lewis lazy.

So I guess we know who's actually lazy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2022, 12:04:37 AM »
If Lewis is lazy and a choker, why would Marquette fans want him back?

I for the record don't think Lewis is lazy or a choker. But in one scenario on Sunday he did choke the game away. Choke may be a harsh word, but he was the biggest reason they failed to hold their lead.

Turnover and missed layup which cost Marquette 4 points in a game they lead by 1.

That's why they say it's good when your best player is a guard because they can always be trusted more with the ball in their hands.  Good thing we have multiple options there for future moments, including Justin who will still be called upon late in games.
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2022, 11:15:54 AM »
I for the record don't think Lewis is lazy or a choker. But in one scenario on Sunday he did choke the game away. Choke may be a harsh word, but he was the biggest reason they failed to hold their lead.

Turnover and missed layup which cost Marquette 4 points in a game they lead by 1.

That's why they say it's good when your best player is a guard because they can always be trusted more with the ball in their hands.  Good thing we have multiple options there for future moments, including Justin who will still be called upon late in games.

The turnover cost Marquette a chance at points. The pointblank layup miss cost actual points; that really sucked, as did O-Max's miss of another open layup. JL also missed a FT. In other words, as good as he can be, he's human. Not a choker IMHO, and definitely not lazy.

I mean, what a thing to say about a kid who's busting his ass so we can be entertained. Ridiculous and uncalled-for.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2022, 11:43:03 AM »
Lewis 38th on the latest SI big board.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/02/24/nba-draft-big-board-jabari-smith-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren-top-80-rankings
to me, guy in the basement office, that seems about right. What does JL do that screams NBA 1st rd draft choice at this point? Certainly there will be a roster spot for him somewhere. Heck, Sam Hauser occupies pine for the Celtics. btw, Sam living my dream…played at Marquette and for the Celtics. My man!! But JL a first rounder? So does he play 3 or 4 in the NBA? Hey Justin, check Jayson Tatum tonight. If that doesn’t go well, we can switch you to Jaylen Brown.  Hey Justin, you got LeBron tomorrow night. Hey Justin, man-up on Durant. Selfishly, come back. MU could be really good next season. IF he is a sure-fire 1rd pick, than yes, go. But I sure hope it isn’t weak-sauce advice that says 1st rd when he’s actually a late 2nd rd or not drafted at all. And yeah, maybe he just doesn’t dig college and wants to go. Fine. Otherwise, hang around a little longer.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
Crickets from the gentleman who was asked to provide evidence after calling Lewis lazy.

So I guess we know who's actually lazy.

It's my opinion Lewis was lazy with the ball last Sunday and hurt the team's chances.  He turned it over five times and failed to make winning plays.  On the missed layup at the 1:35 mark he could have easily gone to the basket for a dunk or a closer shot at the rim.

He barely jogged down the floor after getting the ball swiped with 2:02 remaining in the game.  I'm happy to send video evidence of that lack of hustle.  Lewis played a lackluster game and, to me, looked listless at times during the contest. 

The coach told us Kolek, "Wasn't quite himself.  He kinda had a different look on his face, a couple turnovers that were odd."  Shaka clearly didn't think Kolek was focused and engaged at Creighton.  I felt the same way about Lewis.  I was simply making an observation.  I hope he plays with more energy and helps the team win on Saturday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
It's my opinion Lewis was lazy with the ball last Sunday and hurt the team's chances.  He turned it over five times and failed to make winning plays.  On the missed layup at the 1:35 mark he could have easily gone to the basket for a dunk or a closer shot at the rim.

He barely jogged down the floor after getting the ball swiped with 2:02 remaining in the game.  I'm happy to send video evidence of that lack of hustle.  Lewis played a lackluster game and, to me, looked listless at times during the contest. 

The coach told us Kolek, "Wasn't quite himself.  He kinda had a different look on his face, a couple turnovers that were odd."  Shaka clearly didn't think Kolek was focused and engaged at Creighton.  I felt the same way about Lewis.  I was simply making an observation.  I hope he plays with more energy and helps the team win on Saturday.

Lewis tried to make the kind of spin moves he has successfully accomplished probably 50 times this season. Unfortunately, he lost the ball a few times Sunday. Not sure how that makes him "lazy." Were his successful spin moves during the season's first 2 dozen games "un-lazy"? Were all of Morsell's and Kolek's turnovers Sunday "lazy," too? Attempting a layup instead of a dunk doesn't make a guy "lazy." A one-time lack of hustle -- if that's even what it was -- does not make a guy "lazy." Maybe he was freakin' exhausted after having played hard for 38 minutes.

You're entitled to an opinion like anybody else, but opinion isn't fact. "Lazy" is a very serious charge, and you definitely haven't proven it to be true of Lewis.

I hope everybody plays with energy Saturday. I certainly expect them to.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2022, 05:21:05 AM »
Its the coach's job not to allow kids to play "lazy.". Indiana's Bobby Knight never allowed a kid to play " lazy" like you say. Such misplays cost us the game.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2022, 06:19:37 AM »
Its the coach's job not to allow kids to play "lazy.". Indiana's Bobby Knight never allowed a kid to play " lazy" like you say. Such misplays cost us the game.
Yeah, he would choke him and make him compete.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2022, 08:08:57 AM »
Its the coach's job not to allow kids to play "lazy."

Good thing Shaka hasn't allowed any of our players to be lazy.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2022, 08:24:22 AM »
1st round pick in the latest ESPN mock draft

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33345014/2022-nba-mock-draft-how-big-three-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-changing

Nope. Too lazy.

Seriously, I hope Justin's stock just continues to rise. He's worked hard and played well for our overachieving team.

EasyDuzIt

• Walk-On
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2022, 12:25:47 AM »
J Lews gone... with where these Mocks have him going especially these bigger ones that talk with actually scouts and GMs he's been in that late first to early 2nd range

Just put it in your mind now that way when he declares theres not people getting all upset

I think will be fine with the transfer rule..I believe OMax will take a big step and Kam jones will be a stud next year...then you got guys like Joplin, Mitchell, Kolek, Ighadaro that are only going to get better...not even mentioning are recruiting class
and I'm not writing off Ellis if he stays but he's probably gone

We need more young guys in the NBA coming through Marquette..helps recruiting big time

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2022, 03:38:37 AM »
All diz don't meen stink, 'til da NBA pre- draft workouts, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2022, 07:06:47 AM »
1st round pick in the latest ESPN mock draft

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33345014/2022-nba-mock-draft-how-big-three-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-changing

Givony and Vecenie are the two best. Vecenie called out the travesty that Markus didn’t win POY in 2020 in his draft bio.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2022, 12:54:19 PM »
He ain't ready lol
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2022, 12:57:21 PM »
The. NBA. Drafts. On. Potential.

If you haven’t figured this out yet, quit posting in this thread
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2022, 01:05:43 PM »
The. NBA. Drafts. On. Potential.

If you haven’t figured this out yet, quit posting in this thread

Yet Juniors and Seniors still get drafted in the lottery
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2022, 01:09:46 PM »
Yet Juniors and Seniors still get drafted in the lottery

So what?  If someone tells Lewis they’ll draft him he should pack his bags.  If I were him, I wouldn’t stick around and listen to fans tell me how terrible I am and lazy and how I can’t play in the NBA.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2022, 01:19:04 PM »
So what?  If someone tells Lewis they’ll draft him he should pack his bags.  If I were him, I wouldn’t stick around and listen to fans tell me how terrible I am and lazy and how I can’t play in the NBA.

His offense isn't the problem.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »
How many draft picks are “ready?” How many rookies contribute more than garbage time minutes in their rookie year? Of course he’s not ready to contribute to an NBA team today. That’s why he’s not projected as a top 3 pick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2022, 01:58:02 PM »
The goal is to be a 1st rd pick. #5 made $8.5 with his 3 year guaranteed rookie deal as the last choice in round one. If there's cream, it will rise, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
How many draft picks are “ready?” How many rookies contribute more than garbage time minutes in their rookie year? Of course he’s not ready to contribute to an NBA team today. That’s why he’s not projected as a top 3 pick.

He would have a better chance sticking in the NBA long term by staying at MU another year.

You see a lot of talent get drafted and fade away at a young age in the G League.  Getting drafted is awesome, but he would get drafted next year too.  Getting drafted when ready gives you a better chance to contribute right away which helps you stick around.

His defense is FAR from NBA ready.  That's the issue at the moment for him.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:08:12 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
On the Inside The Big East TV show, they highlighted players in the Conference who are NBA prospects. The player they said was cited the most often by NBA execs was Justin Lewis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
On the Inside The Big East TV show, they highlighted players in the Conference who are NBA prospects. The player they said was cited the most often by NBA execs was Justin Lewis.

Most intriguing.  They cited his huge improvement from last year to this year.  That he has expanded his range and can defend multiple positions. 

I think I read somewhere that this year's draft class is weak.

He will and should enter the draft.