[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?  (Read 27131 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »
She was too busy hanging out with Bobby McGee.

That was a Kris Kristofferson song she covered.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 04:44:32 PM »
That was a Kris Kristofferson song she covered.

And she died before it was released….

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »

And she died before it was released….
The 2nd posthumous release to ever go to number 1.

The first was Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Reading. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2022, 07:35:32 PM »
Didn't know that about either Me & Bobby McGee or Dock of the Bay.

But how 'bout that Justin Lewis, though? He's Marquette's No. 1 hit right now!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 08:08:32 PM »
I am confident, if Justin goes Pro at a minimum he will get an opportunity like Markus or Sam. A free agent two way signing with a team that has a need for his skill set .

Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out. It would be nice if Justin could play his way into an actual draft selection and get some good coin . A first round pick would be huge for MU and Justin.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 08:13:56 PM »
But how 'bout that Justin Lewis, though? He's Marquette's No. 1 hit right now!

He is by FAR, Marquette's most important player this year.  I've repeatedly said I didn't want him shooting 3s, but his shot selection is so good right now I don't mind it.  We all saw the potential last year.  But as a inside SF type.  I don't think anyone (including Shaka) thought he would get this good this year at being a stretch 4, that can also manufacture his shot inside. 

Kudos to him.  He has worked hard and exceeded expectations.  I suspect he'll continue that and get paid well next year (not just by some crappy MKE burger joint)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:18:08 PM by rocky_warrior »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 11:05:13 PM »
After watching the Bucks game tonight, I was trying to figure out how Justin would fit on either team, he wouldn’t. Who could he guard, somebody can tell me if they want?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2022, 11:13:38 PM »
After watching the Bucks game tonight, I was trying to figure out how Justin would fit on either team, he wouldn’t. Who could he guard, somebody can tell me if they want?

He’d be a backup 4, so maybe Milsap or Green.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2022, 11:18:12 PM »
Maybe Millsap, no way Green, he is a guard.  Millsap played backup center tonight, Lewis will never be a backup center to small.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2022, 11:50:46 PM »
Maybe Millsap, no way Green, he is a guard.  Millsap played backup center tonight, Lewis will never be a backup center to small.

Millsap is 6’7, 247 lbs with a 7’2 wingspan.

Lewis is 6’7, 245 lbs with a 7’2 wingspan.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2022, 06:29:49 AM »
The only thing I worry about with Lewis is his lack of lateral quickness.  He can get better in that respect with good strength and conditioning work, but will never really be a strength.  Honestly if he gets a first round grade, he SHOULD go . 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
Agreed, money is to good to pass up

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2022, 08:42:19 AM »
Justin recently called himself a guard/wing.  That's how he sees his future.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
Justin recently called himself a guard/wing.  That's how he sees his future.

I can’t remember the podcast but whatever it was the host mentioned talking to another talent evaluator when Justin was in HS and the guy said  “he’s a great 4 that wants to be a mediocre 3” or something along those lines.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2022, 05:27:01 PM »
I can’t remember the podcast but whatever it was the host mentioned talking to another talent evaluator when Justin was in HS and the guy said  “he’s a great 4 that wants to be a mediocre 3” or something along those lines.

I guess that guy was right before Justin developed a three point game.  Seems like a pretty bad take based on where he is today. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2022, 06:17:56 PM »

Justin's not in HS any more.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2022, 06:54:49 PM »
The only thing I worry about with Lewis is his lack of lateral quickness.  He can get better in that respect with good strength and conditioning work, but will never really be a strength.  Honestly if he gets a first round grade, he SHOULD go .

It kept Sam from being drafted - but Lewis has way more diversity to his offensive game. If he declares there will be a lot of testing for his lateral movement and it will decide where he gets drafted.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2022, 07:15:00 PM »
Niang

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2022, 08:18:21 PM »

He seems to have tight hips. Just needs the right person to work with him.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2022, 07:01:26 AM »
I think Justin will get an opportunity, but I don't think he's a 1st round pick right now unless this is a super weak draft.   When I look at players and how they project at the NBA level, outside their obvious physical traits, I focus on whether they're exceptional at a particular skill-set. 

If you look at Lewis physically he may have to increase his lateral quickness but I think he has enough tools.  He will have much more space to operate at the NBA level but on the flipside I think he could struggle defensively on thr perimeter. I have no doubt he can get there but it's going to be a significant adjustment.

My overall take on his offensive game is that he's really good at a myriad of things, but not exceptional.  He's improved his shooting a lot, and is very good going downhill with a solid first step, but there's not a lot of variation in his game once he puts the ball on the floor.  To me this is where he needs to improve:  shooting or distributing off the bounce.  He's needs to improve his handles and passing for sure. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »
Lewis won't be drafted because of where he is now.  He will be drafted because of where he is projected to be 2 or 3 years from now.  Taking a flyer on a player a team thinks has upside, especially with a team that is drafting at the bottom of the first round without a lot of immediate needs, is all about potential.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2022, 11:24:47 AM »
I think Justin will get an opportunity, but I don't think he's a 1st round pick right now unless this is a super weak draft.   

It is.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »
The Athletic has him 29 but falling in “the 25-50 bucket.” Similar player tonEJ Liddell of Ohio State.

Justin Lewis is in the same boat as Liddell, another big-bodied wing who has improved just enough as a shooter this year to give scouts hope that he can play as a versatile, bigger four-man wing who can play on the perimeter, make 3s and play within the team. Lewis is 6-foot-7 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and does have similarly slow feet to Liddell to give scouts pause. But he averages 17 points per game and has a real nose for the bucket with terrific footwork on drives, pivots and reverse pivots to create separation. He falls below Liddell on my board because he’s not quite the defensive playmaker the Ohio State forward is. But he has the kind of size, length and shooting that teams tend to buy into. He’s in that 25-to-50 bucket right now, which means he has a tough choice to make.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2022, 12:55:33 PM »
It would be nice to return to the annual tradition of having an MU guy picked in the last spot of the first round.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2022, 01:36:48 PM »
The Athletic has him 29 but falling in “the 25-50 bucket.” Similar player tonEJ Liddell of Ohio State.

Justin Lewis is in the same boat as Liddell, another big-bodied wing who has improved just enough as a shooter this year to give scouts hope that he can play as a versatile, bigger four-man wing who can play on the perimeter, make 3s and play within the team. Lewis is 6-foot-7 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and does have similarly slow feet to Liddell to give scouts pause. But he averages 17 points per game and has a real nose for the bucket with terrific footwork on drives, pivots and reverse pivots to create separation. He falls below Liddell on my board because he’s not quite the defensive playmaker the Ohio State forward is. But he has the kind of size, length and shooting that teams tend to buy into. He’s in that 25-to-50 bucket right now, which means he has a tough choice to make.

Um ... this was the opening post to this thread. But thanks for repeating it!

feedback