Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya suxa  (Read 18093 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: Hoya suxa
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »
Why ?  Why ?  Would you pull all of your starters w / 12 mins to go ?

It got REALLY UGLY.  It’s a W .. but sheez, they did a lot to ruin a 25 point lead.

Yes... Morsell is SO Inconsistent

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 09:58:46 PM »
Frustrating second half, but I'm never gonna be one to scream in anger about a double-digit conference win, even over one of the worst BE teams we've seen in eons.

Best game for Kuath in awhile. Kam gave us the cushion. 11 dimes for Kolek. Decent games for JL, O-Max and Greg. Morsell on the milk carton.

Game's over ... move on. Huge one coming up Sunday.

This. We won. We had some really good moments, lost focus up by a lot over a bad team. Happens.
Let’s play better Sunday.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 09:58:56 PM »
Why ?  Why ?  Would you pull all of your starters w / 12 mins to go ?

It got REALLY UGLY.  It’s a W .. but sheez, they did a lot to ruin a 25 point lead.

Yes... Morsell is SO Inconsistent

Marquette has enough Q1 wins for the committee to know what they are.  Sure it doesn't look good if you think it will affect their next game, but I'm pretty confident it won't.  Morsell isn't inconsistent.  He's always the guy to rely on defensively, he hits big shots.  They didn't need him to win tonight and Shaka wanted to send a message before their final Q1 game of the year.

We're fine.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 09:59:04 PM »
Bad win. Between this and Butler, we've dropped 2 seed lines in a week when winning both might've got us in the Top-16 Reveal. I know this is a champagne complaint for a team not expected to be in the field, but sticking with that lineup from up 26 to 13 was one of the worst coaching mistakes of the year. Do that stupid crap when there's 4 minutes left, not 12.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
The brewski comes out firin'!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 10:06:51 PM »
Bad win. Between this and Butler, we've dropped 2 seed lines in a week when winning both might've got us in the Top-16 Reveal. I know this is a champagne complaint for a team not expected to be in the field, but sticking with that lineup from up 26 to 13 was one of the worst coaching mistakes of the year. Do that stupid crap when there's 4 minutes left, not 12.

Win at Creighton and they may be in the top 16 next week anyways.
VIOLENCE!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 10:19:37 PM »

Great podcast. Thanks for all the work, I appreciate it. However, Me thinks you live and die too much by your S Curve too early.

Georgetown improved three spots by losing double digits to MU for example. Creighton is the bigger seeding prize. GT sucks and they are a concrete BE anchor. Goose called it: Creighton is the prize.

The Legs has guaranteed a Omaha win! All in!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:24:22 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 10:20:26 PM »

Brew, I was curious what you think about O-Max going to the offensive glass more?  The kid has played quite well since his erratic and slow start.  He's not a great jump shooter but I think he has a high ceiling (no pun intended) moving forward. I see a guy who could be a solid double digit scorer and a significantly better rebounder.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2022, 10:25:25 PM »
Win at Creighton and they may be in the top 16 next week anyways.

The Top-16 Reveal is Saturday.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2022, 10:30:48 PM »
Great podcast. Thanks for all the work, I appreciate it. However, Me thinks you live and die too much by your S Curve too early.

Not just mine, but seeding in general. You're not wrong, but it drives me nuts when we play with great efficiency for 28 minutes then spend the last 12 sitting on the floor making finger paintings in the diarrhea that just ran down our legs. This staff is too analytically savvy to let that happen and not have some fire aimed in their direction.

I know we are playing with a bit of house money now, but I do NOT want to waste it. The last time Marquette and Shaka won tournament games was in 2013. We were supposed to be united in 2014, but since that didn't happen, we've both paid penance by being held NCAA winless ever since. Now that we're together, and in position to be legitimately favored, I want that win. And watching us go from the doorstep of a 4 to a potential 7/10 tossup is both disappointing and unnerving.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2022, 10:32:01 PM »
The Top-16 Reveal is Saturday.

Right but they won't be in it this week.  Don't they update it weekly?
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2022, 10:33:41 PM »
Right but they won't be in it this week.  Don't they update it weekly?

Nope. One Reveal the Saturday after the Super Bowl. Nothing else from the Committee until Selection Sunday.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 12:13:10 AM »

The last coach woulda never given up that early.

But seriously, that was brutal. Especially when they had to know the NET is in play

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 04:42:03 AM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

panda

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 06:31:34 AM »
Not just mine, but seeding in general. You're not wrong, but it drives me nuts when we play with great efficiency for 28 minutes then spend the last 12 sitting on the floor making finger paintings in the diarrhea that just ran down our legs. This staff is too analytically savvy to let that happen and not have some fire aimed in their direction.

I know we are playing with a bit of house money now, but I do NOT want to waste it. The last time Marquette and Shaka won tournament games was in 2013. We were supposed to be united in 2014, but since that didn't happen, we've both paid penance by being held NCAA winless ever since. Now that we're together, and in position to be legitimately favored, I want that win. And watching us go from the doorstep of a 4 to a potential 7/10 tossup is both disappointing and unnerving.

Agree to your general point but am curious how much a 15 point victory would’ve changed our net ranking rather than the 11 pointer which played out ?

This is far and away the most flawed portion of the net and frankly needs to be corrected next season. Blowing out bad teams shouldn’t be rewarded the way it is (hello Iowa).

Using last night as an example, Marquette absolutely throttled Georgetown for 70% of the game, took the starters out (safe move for injuries and after the tired performance against butler) and Georgetown makes a frantic run to push the difference to…..11 points.

The game last night was never within any shadow of a doubt for Marquette and know they’ll theoretically be bumped down because of it.

I don’t think this portion needs to be eliminated as throttling a team closely ranked to you, ie destroying providence, is much more telling about a teams true quality than it is running up the score against bad teams.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 06:39:42 AM »
This. We won. We had some really good moments, lost focus up by a lot over a bad team. Happens.
Let’s play better Sunday.
I was more concerned that we came out flat yet again.  Tied with 8 minutes to go in the first half.  We had a 43-17 run over a 16 minute span covering roughly the last 8 minutes of the first half and the first 8 minutes of the second half, which is very impressive.  Outscored by Georgetown 49-34 in the other 24 minutes, which is not so good.

Only other nitpick is we had trouble with their pressure a bit at the end of the game, passing into corners and having to use TOs.

Kam's run to right the ship was a lot of fun, and see Kuath score some was great, as well as a good all-around game from Kolek.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2022, 07:12:41 AM »
That was an ugly game but take the W and move onto to Sun!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-httdKCPMXQ

Shaka post game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401373595

Box score

OMP was really solid.    I was impressed how he was being used to break the press.    Handled the ball really well.    Saw the floor, moved the ball.     
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:30:13 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »
Big fan of Oso’s offensive aggressiveness even if it didn’t always work out. Big fan of OMax’s offensive aggressiveness. Big fan of the rebounding mentality, shot went up, most guys boxed out, even Jop, who gave solid minutes.

Not a big fan of DM generally, has to quit with the palms up, head down, out of the game mentality, it’s painful to watch. He is also not doing well what he is supposed to be best at. He had moments of good help D last night, but he seems a bit lost. Hopefully there will be a mental recharge moment soon, and he leads again through high effort.

Yeah, I would have liked to win by 30, but it’s a slog of a season and getting rest at the end when you can is important.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
MU got up 26 and lost focus.   Are we really going to spend the next couple of day whining about it?

(checks and realizes that this is indeed Scoop)   I guess we are

Don't often laugh out loud on a hangover but you got me, Tower. God, I love Scoop.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2022, 07:43:30 AM »
Did Shaka put the bench in a little early?  Sure.  But the game was never in doubt at that point.  That 15 minute stretch from 10:00 in the first half to 15:00 in the second was the best they have played in a couple of weeks.  The ball movement was great.  They weren't settling for 3s.  Defending well.  Rebounding well.

I don't know exactly what people are expecting.  A 30 point lead stretching to 50?  Even then Scoop would find something to complain about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2022, 07:46:29 AM »
We love to 2nd guess the coach.
If one of the starters would have gotten hurt in the last 12 minutes, we most likely would have been hearing the exact opposite from the posters.  "Why did he keep the starters in when the game's outcome was not a factor!?"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2022, 07:49:06 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-httdKCPMXQ

Shaka post game.

"Georgetown's a dangerous team."

Uh ... no. But what's he supposed to say? They are a horrendously coached team and an embarrassment to the Big East?

"Kam thinks if he makes one, he's on a heater."

Made me chuckle -- and nod in agreement.

"Kur didn't play particularly well in either game last week."

Yep.

"We got a little 3-point happy."

True.

Also: Rivers talked to the team before the game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2022, 07:51:29 AM »
"Kam thinks if he makes one, he's on a heater."

Made me chuckle -- and nod in agreement.

I mentioned this in the SOTG topic, but Kam's air ball heat check did not seem to make Shaka happy.  He barely played after that point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2022, 07:53:59 AM »
Maybe that is one of the secrets of Marquette's success this year.  Have famous BB alumni talk to the team before the game.
Doc Rivers, Wes Mathews, line up Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Travis Diener, Steve Novak, D Wade, Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, etc. throughout the rest of the season, BE tourney and NCAA tournament.

feedback