Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Georgetown is pitiful  (Read 8223 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Georgetown is pitiful
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »
By the way, this happens EVERY GAME.

Losing?  Yes.  We Know.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 08:01:29 PM »
By the way, this happens EVERY GAME.

We hope you guys are back soon - its not good for anyone to have this.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 08:09:44 PM »
DFW, you have never been anything but class.   I feel for you and your fanbase.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
Georgetown is the worst team I have seen since MU joined the BE. And yeah that includes Purnell-era De Paul.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 08:14:55 PM »
We hope you guys are back soon - its not good for anyone to have this.

Agreed. It’s better for the big east if Georgetown is a marquee game on the schedule.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
How did Georgetown win the BET again?!?

Unreal season for them coming off of that

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 08:32:22 PM »
Last seven games, opponent threes vs. Georgetown:

12, tonight
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:59:32 PM by DFW HOYA »

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 09:41:58 PM »
Post-script: it's hard for Georgetown to win a game shooting 25%.

Not from the field...but from two point range (9-36).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 07:04:00 AM »
Finding one thing while looking for another.   While looking for Coach Smart's post-Georgetown press conference, I came across articles from 2017 discussing how Georgetown had reached out to Shaka (and Mike Brey) and had been turned down.   

So, DFW, in your opinion, what are some of the internal issues at Georgetown that will add challenges to the next hiring. process?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2022, 08:18:17 AM »
Finding one thing while looking for another.   While looking for Coach Smart's post-Georgetown press conference, I came across articles from 2017 discussing how Georgetown had reached out to Shaka (and Mike Brey) and had been turned down.   

So, DFW, in your opinion, what are some of the internal issues at Georgetown that will add challenges to the next hiring. process?

Those articles conflict with a narrative that these coaches never really approached Georgetown due to the perceived presence of John Thompson in the search. Other (e.g. Chris Mack) floated interest but it was to get their name in the mix elsewhere. Ewing was approached by Thompson when no candidates actually interviewed in a four week period, leading some/many to believe Thompson had cleared the track fo Ewing to be the only candidate.

As for internal issues, three come to mind.

1. Financial. Ewing has at least one and perhaps 3-4 years left on a contract if it was silently renewed last season as some have speculated. Barring a Chris Mullin-style resignation which relieves GU of those commitments, that's a lot of money that isn't in the budget to pay given the awful home attendance (5,519 a game) and a lack of revenue in other sports to cover losses.

2. Organizational. The big shoe to drop isn't the 0-fer record. It's the transfer portal, and it could be severe.

3. Institutional. Georgetown basketball doesn't report through the athletic director due to decisions made after the 1971-72 season. However, there are no leaves left on the John Thompson coaching tree, save for two older Division II coaches well below .500) and thus a change in coaching likely ends the House of Thompson within the basketball office. There will be pushback from some quarters on this.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 08:20:10 AM »
3. Institutional. Georgetown basketball doesn't report through the athletic director due to decisions made after the 1971-72 season.

Hold on.  What?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2022, 09:34:23 AM »

1. Financial. Ewing has at least one and perhaps 3-4 years left on a contract if it was silently renewed last season as some have speculated. Barring a Chris Mullin-style resignation which relieves GU of those commitments, that's a lot of money that isn't in the budget to pay given the awful home attendance (5,519 a game) and a lack of revenue in other sports to cover losses.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the phrase "penny-wise and pound-foolish" comes to mind.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 09:52:35 AM »
Hold on.  What?

"By the summer of 1972, Thompson got what he needed to succeed -- latitude in recruiting, support in admissions, complete control over scheduling, and a direct line of authority to the President's office. The Athletic Advisory Board was out of the basketball business, and eventually faded out of view over the next decade."

https://www.hoyabasketball.com/features/1972.htm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:54:23 AM by DFW HOYA »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »
Those articles conflict with a narrative that these coaches never really approached Georgetown due to the perceived presence of John Thompson in the search. Other (e.g. Chris Mack) floated interest but it was to get their name in the mix elsewhere. Ewing was approached by Thompson when no candidates actually interviewed in a four week period, leading some/many to believe Thompson had cleared the track fo Ewing to be the only candidate.

2. Organizational. The big shoe to drop isn't the 0-fer record. It's the transfer portal, and it could be severe.

3. Institutional. Georgetown basketball doesn't report through the athletic director due to decisions made after the 1971-72 season. However, there are no leaves left on the John Thompson coaching tree, save for two older Division II coaches well below .500) and thus a change in coaching likely ends the House of Thompson within the basketball office. There will be pushback from some quarters on this.

Your thoughts on one scooper's comment (I think it was Rocky) that creating a position for Ewing (maybe something like VP of bball) might be a way for Ewing to exit as coach? I think it would still be a bad idea- GT needs to make a clean break.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 10:00:01 AM »
"By the summer of 1972, Thompson got what he needed to succeed -- latitude in recruiting, support in admissions, complete control over scheduling, and a direct line of authority to the President's office. The Athletic Advisory Board was out of the basketball business, and eventually faded out of view over the next decade."

https://www.hoyabasketball.com/features/1972.htm

And that's still the case?  If so, I don't think that makes a lot of sense.  I can't think of another school where the basketball coach doesn't report to the athletic director.  Holding onto a model that developed 50 years ago isn't a good idea.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 10:20:37 AM »
 I sincerely hope Gtown turns this around soon. This should be a proud program and a Big East powerhouse

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2022, 11:02:24 AM »
If I was John DeGioia (FTR, I am not) these would be my first 3 calls, in this order:

1) Ed Cooley
2) Kevin Willard
3) Rick Pitino

IF I have to make a 4th call, it’s Kelvin Sampson.  IF I still have to make a phone call, it’s to a Boston College Alum, the Jesuit educated, Bruce Pearl.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 11:07:54 AM »
If I was John DeGioia (FTR, I am not) these would be my first 3 calls, in this order:

1) Ed Cooley
2) Kevin Willard
3) Rick Pitino

IF I have to make a 4th call, it’s Kelvin Sampson.  IF I still have to make a phone call, it’s to a Boston College Alum, the Jesuit educated, Bruce Pearl.

By the time it’s Wojo’s turn DeGiola won’t have a dime left.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »

1) Ed Cooley
2) Kevin Willard
3) Rick Pitino

If you're going to steal a Big East coach, why not go after Hurley--east coast ties, more career success, younger, and it removes UConn as an impediment to success.

I don't think Cooley or Willard will sell more tickets in DC.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
Wouldn't poaching head coaches from other programs in the Big East be rather frowned upon?  It seems like it would be.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

By the time it’s Wojo’s turn DeGiola won’t have a dime left.

Nicely played.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
I sincerely hope Gtown turns this around soon. This should be a proud program and a Big East powerhouse

I don’t really mind seeing them suffer. They seemed to want no part of the “new” big east when it first formed whereas Villanova embraced the conference and has since dominated almost every year.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2022, 01:34:06 PM »
I don’t really mind seeing them suffer. They seemed to want no part of the “new” big east when it first formed whereas Villanova embraced the conference and has since dominated almost every year.

True, but time to move on. It's better for the conference if we have solid teams top to bottom, ala Big 12.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2022, 01:35:52 PM »
They can get good again right after Mohammed transfers to MU. Man, if that guy learns to finish at the rim, look out.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »
They can get good again right after Mohammed transfers to MU. Man, if that guy learns to finish at the rim, look out.

Oh yeah! He'd be really scary if he does that.

feedback