[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cop shot somewhere in SE Wisconsin  (Read 19358 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Cop shot somewhere in SE Wisconsin
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2022, 08:11:36 AM »
--
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:16:27 AM by dgies9156 »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2022, 09:09:53 AM »
Now back to the topic.

We geriatric Scoopers don't think of campus as a jungle. We see it as it is -- a wonderful university surrounded by neighborhoods with problems and concerns. I went to school there in the mid-to-late 1970s and wouldn't trade the experience, including the neighborhood, for anything.

Secondly, when someone is brazen enough to fire on and wound a police officer, what makes you think he or she is any less willing to fire on an innocent, potentially unarmed civilian?
I could have gone without the homeless shelter in the middle of the off-campus housing. We also had one shooting when some nonstudents were denied entry into a party. Kid got shot in the face, but survived. It wasn't a huge impact, but I think the experience would be better if the surrounding neighborhood wasn't such a craphole.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
I could have gone without the homeless shelter in the middle of the off-campus housing. We also had one shooting when some nonstudents were denied entry into a party. Kid got shot in the face, but survived. It wasn't a huge impact, but I think the experience would be better if the surrounding neighborhood wasn't such a craphole.

You could have just gone somewhere 'safer'.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2022, 12:59:49 PM »
You could have just gone somewhere 'safer'.
I could have won the lottery as well. Just need that time machine.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
I could have won the lottery as well. Just need that time machine.

The implication is that you didn't choose to go to Marquette.  The decision to attend was thrust upon you by fate?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2022, 02:47:59 PM »
The implication is that you didn't choose to go to Marquette.  The decision to attend was thrust upon you by fate?

Your implication is that safety was the number one factor in my choosing a school. I said it wasn't a huge impact, but it would have been better if the surrounding neighborhood wasn't such a craphole. Do you disagree with that? Would it be worse at Marquette if the surroundings improved? Is the success of Marquette dependent on some unseen force draining away the quality of the neighboring communities?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2022, 02:54:38 PM »
Your implication is that safety was the number one factor in my choosing a school. I said it wasn't a huge impact, but it would have been better if the surrounding neighborhood wasn't such a craphole. Do you disagree with that? Would it be worse at Marquette if the surroundings improved? Is the success of Marquette dependent on some unseen force draining away the quality of the neighboring communities?

Would Marquette be better off if it were in a neighborhood like Mount Mary's or Cardinal Stritch's?  Or would the positive things that make Marquette what it is be washed away by suburban blandness?

I actually think Marquette's location is a positive and not a negative. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2022, 03:00:07 PM »

Would Marquette be better off if it were in a neighborhood like Mount Mary's or Cardinal Stritch's?  Or would the positive things that make Marquette what it is be washed away by suburban blandness?

I'm not scoring it as a 1 or a 0. Lots of positives, but the homeless shelter and the surrounding neighborhood are not.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »

The neighborhood was fine when I was in school, and it has only improved since then.

Part of the experience is to not go to college in a lily white college town.  If you didn't want that, or didn't know that going in, then why did you attend?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2022, 04:03:38 PM »
I'm not scoring it as a 1 or a 0. Lots of positives, but the homeless shelter and the surrounding neighborhood are not.

In the last 14 years I have closely followed the crime stats at Marquette (due to my own kids considering/attending Marquette), and I have not heard of a single incident of violent crime related to the homeless shelter.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:05:11 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2022, 04:04:25 PM »

Sure, MU missed the boat when Concordia moved from 33rd and State to The Quon. Turns out Concordia is thrivin'. Had Marquette moved to da burbs, we woodant need ta have dis discussion. But, of course, dat's knot da Jesuit way, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2022, 04:11:46 PM »

Sure, MU missed the boat when Concordia moved from 33rd and State to The Quon. Turns out Concordia is thrivin'. Had Marquette moved to da burbs, we woodant need ta have dis discussion. But, of course, dat's knot da Jesuit way, aina?

Concordia is thriving because they have been a pioneer in program development and delivery.

Marquette moving to Mequon would have been terrible. And you’re right that’s not the Jesuit way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2022, 05:33:06 PM »
It is not the Jesuit way.   It really isn't the Catholic way.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2022, 05:38:48 PM »
In the last 14 years I have closely followed the crime stats at Marquette (due to my own kids considering/attending Marquette), and I have not heard of a single incident of violent crime related to the homeless shelter.

Thanks for that, chick.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2022, 05:39:31 PM »
Oh sure I don't doubt that. The homeless shelter just brings a bunch of bums begging for money and being generally shabby. One of my roommates caught a couple homless dudes performing sexual acts on one another right across the street from our house one morning haha. It'd be better without all that nonsense going on near campus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2022, 06:31:25 PM »
Oh sure I don't doubt that. The homeless shelter just brings a bunch of bums begging for money and being generally shabby. One of my roommates caught a couple homless dudes performing sexual acts on one another right across the street from our house one morning haha. It'd be better without all that nonsense going on near campus.

Walking back from Angelo's to Tower my sophomore year, I saw two fellow Marquette students going at it in public, right in the field next to McCormick. Not only weren't the young man and woman homeless, they probably were from wealthy families. Go figure!

Add in the number of times all of us saw rich, white Marquette students taking whizzes in public, and that's a lot of "nonsense going on near campus."

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2022, 06:50:48 PM »
Eye once saw a trans cocker spaniel and a straight toy poodle makin' bacon near Mashuda. Nearly transferred to Liberty U, butt der basketball teem sucked donkey balls, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »
Eye once saw a trans cocker spaniel and a straight toy poodle makin' bacon near Mashuda. Nearly transferred to Liberty U, butt der basketball teem sucked donkey balls, hey?
I can see you and Falwell Jr partying together.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2022, 10:27:45 PM »

I mean why does it matter?  Being in an urban setting has pluses and minuses.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2022, 07:59:31 AM »
That, and crime is everywhere.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »
That, and crime is everywhere.

Exactly. When I see Marquette parents losing their sh*t over crime near campus, I remind them that Northern Illinois has had both a mass shooting and a serial killer of coeds in the last decade or so, and that is a school that is literally in the middle of a cornfield.
Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2022, 10:45:23 AM »
Oh, you mean like a student? The 70's were 50 years ago, things change. This isn't your father's neighborhood anymore, hey?
There were shootings around campus and a stabbing at the YMCA lobby when it was part of MU housing, all back in '79-'83. But because I was raised in a fairly large city with the same problems I didn't feel threatened. Right now the problem is worldwide. Actually murders here were almost double of what they're now 20 years ago. But people are panicking because last year murders went up 20% from previous year.
Goal is National Championship

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »
There were shootings around campus and a stabbing at the YMCA lobby when it was part of MU housing, all back in '79-'83. But because I was raised in a fairly large city with the same problems I didn't feel threatened. Right now the problem is worldwide. Actually murders here were almost double of what they're now 20 years ago. But people are panicking because last year murders went up 20% from previous year.

My senior year, there was a girl who was raped by a rando in her dorm room during fall move-in. A few years later, a kid was straight-up murdered on campus.

Anyone who thinks things are worse now is delusional
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2022, 11:02:51 AM »
My senior year, there was a girl who was raped by a rando in her dorm room during fall move-in. A few years later, a kid was straight-up murdered on campus.

Anyone who thinks things are worse now is delusional

Yep. Easily manipulated people have been revved up in a panic. Wonder why?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
According to some, we should relish the crime, and perhaps encourage it.  Part of the experience, eh?