[Today at 12:55:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Closing games  (Read 1760 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Closing games
« on: January 24, 2022, 09:54:23 AM »
Obviously who we play and match-ups are important but Jones and Elliott really open up our offense.  My favorite hoop yesterday was when DM attacked the rim and converted (should have been an and-1) when we needed a BAM/HAMMER bucket.  It's tough to play four guards with JLew and we have seen Kur's impact as a rim protector, O-Max's versatility, and Stevie's perstiferous abilities on the perimeter.  Anyway, what would be your preferred "slam the door: line-up?  Or can we sub frequently with defense/offense? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Closing games
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
There was a dead ball possession in the 2nd half when Shaka quickly subbed for match-ups and then Steele scrambled to counter. Beautiful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »
perstiferous, nice.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:06:59 AM »
I love that SS gives players the opportunity to prove themselves each game. If Kam, Stevie, OMP, Kur, Osa have it…..they play.
If Kam gets a quick dumb foul and then dribbles off his foot the next possession he’s coming out. Same for the above mentioned.
I don’t think it is a question of do I want Osa or Kur in at the end of the game……it’s more a question of who will SS use in those situations. And as we have seen, could be either one dependent on the previous 35 minutes of that game.
I must say, I did not like that lineup of GE at the point—everyone looked lost. To his credit, SS recognized it and made a quick change.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »
I love that SS gives players the opportunity to prove themselves each game. If Kam, Stevie, OMP, Kur, Osa have it…..they play.
If Kam gets a quick dumb foul and then dribbles off his foot the next possession he’s coming out. Same for the above mentioned.
I don’t think it is a question of do I want Osa or Kur in at the end of the game……it’s more a question of who will SS use in those situations. And as we have seen, could be either one dependent on the previous 35 minutes of that game.
I must say, I did not like that lineup of GE at the point—everyone looked lost. To his credit, SS recognized it and made a quick change.
I don't think SS would like most of the MU team
Goal is National Championship

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:26:53 AM »

Good points.  It appears we have the overall personnel where Shaka feels he can go a number of different ways to close the show.  I was just thinking out loud and potential scenarios.  We are developing strong cohesion 1-12 unlike the Wojo squads.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 10:32:58 AM »
Obviously who we play and match-ups are important but Jones and Elliott really open up our offense.  My favorite hoop yesterday was when DM attacked the rim and converted (should have been an and-1) when we needed a BAM/HAMMER bucket.  It's tough to play four guards with JLew and we have seen Kur's impact as a rim protector, O-Max's versatility, and Stevie's perstiferous abilities on the perimeter.  Anyway, what would be your preferred "slam the door: line-up?  Or can we sub frequently with defense/offense?
Lewis. Morsell Kolek Kathy, Mitchell
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 10:33:55 AM »
Kuath

mug644

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 10:37:32 AM »
Good points.  It appears we have the overall personnel where Shaka feels he can go a number of different ways to close the show.  I was just thinking out loud and potential scenarios.  We are developing strong cohesion 1-12 unlike the Wojo squads.

Just a bit of unsolicited advice...drop even such minor references to the past. They clearly serve as triggers to unnecessary discussion about the former coach.

Without those four words, your idea is sound, and forward-looking.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:41:06 AM by mug644 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 10:39:01 AM »
Just a bit of unsolicited advice...drop even such minor references to the past. They clearly serve as triggers to unnecessary discussion about the former coach.

With those four words, your idea is sound, and forward-looking.

Touche mug. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
Against Seton Hall, Shaka put Kur on the ball and had Oso, DM, OMP, and Justin in.  Why?  It was catch and shoot and he wanted the most length to contest shots.  With Nova needing a 3, it was Oso, DM, JL, OMP, and TKo.   Lots of medium sized players.   

So, situational and match ups.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:19:36 AM »

Without those four words, your idea is sound, and forward-looking.

Agreed.  The people that keep bringing up Wojo sound like those guys who never miss an opportunity to rip on the girlfriend they broke up with, even though their new girlfriend is a much better catch.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 11:28:53 AM »
There was a dead ball possession in the 2nd half when Shaka quickly subbed for match-ups and then Steele scrambled to counter. Beautiful.

it was hilarious--more players kept coming in, one at a time--probably 4 separate announcements.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 11:56:08 AM »

Is Kathy your spouse? Freudian slips matta

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 01:15:09 PM »
No Kathy was dreamed up by cell phone text. It is supposed to be Kuath.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »
No Kathy was dreamed up by cell phone text. It is supposed to be Kuath.

You're married to Kur Kuath?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cven7

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 01:42:45 PM »

You're married to Kur Kuath?

Nice, he gets to be little spoon.