[Today at 12:55:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier Aramis-sing shots. Due to MU's defense.  (Read 9698 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Xavier Aramis-sing shots. Due to MU's defense.
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2022, 10:45:59 AM »
Classy giving Wojo credit for bringing in Kam and Stevie. Didn't need to say that, but he did because he's a class guy.

There will be some bumps on the road, but this could turn out to be one of the best moves Marquette ever made. I road Scholl (and Lovell) hard for keeping around Wojo as long as they did, but maybe they knew Shaka was their guy and were biding their time until he was available. 4-D chess.

I agree.

As great as it would be to think Lovell/Scholl were that savvy - as TAMU alluded to earlier - if they were really sharp/savvy, they would have fired Wojo after Year 1 and hired Shaka at that time (which was the time he left for Texas.)  Then again I don't even know if Scholl was the A.D. at the time of Wojo's hiring/Year 1?

That all aside, things have a way of working out, and Wojo didn't totally derail the program.  There were some fun times/games, and high character kids who were also good basketball players during his time.  Unfoturnately, Wojo just was clueless as a Head Coach, but he was a good man.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2022, 11:01:55 AM »
I hate when people say that "they shot poorly" and didn't even watch the game. Like if you watched the game you would realize that our defense caused contested shots, not their poor shooting.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:58 AM »
I agree.

As great as it would be to think Lovell/Scholl were that savvy - as TAMU alluded to earlier - if they were really sharp/savvy, they would have fired Wojo after Year 1 and hired Shaka at that time (which was the time he left for Texas.)  Then again I don't even know if Scholl was the A.D. at the time of Wojo's hiring/Year 1?

That all aside, things have a way of working out, and Wojo didn't totally derail the program.  There were some fun times/games, and high character kids who were also good basketball players during his time.  Unfoturnately, Wojo just was clueless as a Head Coach, but he was a good man.

1. It would have been insane to fire Wojo after one yea with a top recruiting class coming in even if it were feasible.

2. Shaka had zero interest in coming to MU at that time.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »
As of Today, Kolek is 6th in the nation is assists, and has a better A/TO ratio than the 5 above him.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
1. It would have been insane to fire Wojo after one yea with a top recruiting class coming in even if it were feasible.

2. Shaka had zero interest in coming to MU at that time.

I agree that optically #1 would be insane, yet holding onto a poor coach just due to their recruiting class isn't wise...if* you can land a better coach/coach of Shaka's caliber. 

Regarding #2, considering we apparently were #donedeal with Shaka prior to hiring Wojo, I'm not sure we can speculate that there would have been zero interest.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2022, 12:03:46 PM »
I cannot speak for others on here, but I have 100% forgotten the last seven seasons of MU basketball. In addition, I am pretty happy with the new head coach.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
I cannot speak for others on here, but I have 100% forgotten the last seven seasons of MU basketball. In addition, I am pretty happy with the new head coach.

I won’t forget Markus.  I would love to have him on any MU squad in any decade.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2022, 01:56:08 PM »
I won’t forget Markus.  I would love to have him on any MU squad in any decade.

Would you though?  Personally, I am far more enjoying the great team basketball being played by our squad this year, as opposed to watching Markus taking 25 foot step back jumpers 10 seconds into the shot clock.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »
Would you though?  Personally, I am far more enjoying the great team basketball being played by our squad this year, as opposed to watching Markus taking 25 foot step back jumpers 10 seconds into the shot clock.

TRIGGER WARNING FOR NERS

That was more about how he was coached than it was about him as a player.  He would be great on a Shaka team playing in this system.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
Yes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:13 PM »
All time scoring leader at MU.  21st all time.  Top 20 without COVID stoppage.   I would take him any time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2022, 02:27:01 PM »

TRIGGER WARNING FOR NERS

That was more about how he was coached than it was about him as a player.  He would be great on a Shaka team playing in this system.

^^

TRIGGERED
It's so easy to get in your head Sultan. 

As it relates to Markus on this year's team even with Shaka as coach?  I don't think I'd trade him for Kolek.  Kolek is a better defender, sees the floor infinitely better and makes everyone else around him better as a result.

Markus of course is a prolific/generational talent shooter, but this team is largely winning due to defense and a diversified offensive attack and general selflessness. 

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »

2.   I thought MU was 3 happy.    They have been doing a really good job lately of working through their offense and getting good looks.    IMO, they settled a little bit today
#nolongerworriers

Agree with all your points except #2. Fans around me keep yelling the same thing, "stop settling for 3s," but we are leading the big east by hitting 39.5 percent of our threes - and that's as effective as hitting 59.3% of your 2s. Yes, some misses looked terrible - and we will have days when they aren't falling, but overall the 3 is our most effective shot in the 9 conf games.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »
I agree with this analysis
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2022, 05:04:16 PM »
As much as I was not a fan of how Howard dominated our offense, he might average 40 a game in this system with 30% less shots. Give me a Markus Howard type shooter next season and I’ll take my chances on an E8 season.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2022, 08:36:45 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2022, 08:39:08 PM »
As much as I was not a fan of how Howard dominated our offense, he might average 40 a game in this system with 30% less shots. Give me a Markus Howard type shooter next season and I’ll take my chances on an E8 season.

Yep yep!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback