[Today at 01:25:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier Aramis-sing shots. Due to MU's defense.  (Read 9699 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Xavier Aramis-sing shots. Due to MU's defense.
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2022, 05:30:02 PM »
Marquette held X to 8 points over the last 11 minutes of the game.
Remarkably similar pattern to the Nova game.

MU builds a small, consistent lead >>>> opponent comes back, takes the lead and appears to have all the momentum >>>> MU completely dominates the last 8-10 minutes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2022, 05:35:43 PM »
++ I'm still trying to figure out how a team that had just won 5 in a row, including 3 over ranked teams, including 1 just three days earlier at Nova where nobody wins, could be a home underdog. I kinda like it, though. I hope we're dogs again Wednesday. Woof! Woof!

++ Incredible game for JL. Not only hit 3s and scored inside but he pulled down some really tough rebounds in traffic. Those 13 were not "easy rebounds"! Playing like a first-round draft pick, and I'm really happy for him.

++ Stevie was the only MU defender who consistently stayed in front of Scruggs. Even Morsell had trouble with Scruggs, who had 3-4 blow-bys on Daryll. On the play that Kam swooped in and stole the ball from Scruggs, that was Stevie who stopped Scruggs in his tracks. It was nice to see Shaka give Stevie a good run, but even more it was nice to see Stevie earn that run.

++ Otherwise, another really nice game for Morsell, with 7 assists to go with his 19 points. His drive-and-kick to Greg for the open 3 came at an important juncture in the game. When Morsell is aggressive on offense, it just makes us such a tougher team to defend.

++ Kam has no conscience. He will shoot it any time from anywhere. He didn't even shoot very well today but still drained that Rowsey dagger at the end. He's gonna be a special player, and he's already pretty damn good.

++ We take two kinds of 3s. When we drive and dish to an open shooter, our percentage has to be through the roof. When we have to go off the dribble or if we force 'em, our percentage mostly sucks. Need more of the former, fewer of the latter. Of course, the same is true of every team.

++ Great game for Oso. Stood tall on defense, blocked out, and he plays his offensive role well. Given that Kuath just had his best game as a Warrior Eagle in our big win at Nova, it was interesting to see Kur get benched for most of the second half. Shaka, who has a really nice feel for apportioning minutes to his 5s, just decided to stay with him.

++ I liked the lead-holding lineup Shaka had out there at the end, all ballhandlers and FT shooters. The guys handled Xavier's pressure with ease.

++ Kolek with 7 more assists. He got himself in trouble a couple times when he drove into no-man's land, but he also hit on two nice drives.

++ There was a stretch where Xavier got any shot they wanted but Shaka cleaned that up. When we had to leave a guy open, we chose more wisely, and it was Nunge or Freemantle. Basketball's often about picking your poison -- and that was a good choice. We did a much better job of watching Kunkel and Johnson after that.

++ Hello, top 20!

++ What a fun team. You can see that these guys are just "getting it." They are better basketball players today than they were 2 months ago, and that's always a great sign. The elevator's gonna keep going up!

We Are Marquette!
Cam’s dagger was magical
But Morsell’s bully ball layup the possession before (I think) was the real dagger

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 05:37:51 PM »
The team is playing well but I’d like to see the same comment if MU loses a first round tourney game.
My concern about this is the Big East outside of Villanova has not done well in the NCAA tournament. Seems like Big East does well enough in non-conference to get a good number of teams in NCAA tournament only to flop in first round.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2022, 06:48:08 PM »
He never brought up Wojo.  Why do you keep doing so?

I don't "keep doing so."  The poster commented about how we'd feel should Shaka lose in the first round which happens to be exactly what Shaka's predecessor did in his two NCAA tourney appearances in 7 years.  The poster was essentially questioning how we'd respond as a fanbase at that point.  I answered that question - I'd still give the guy a lifetime contract, as I've seen enough to know that Shaka has "it."  I wouldn't overreact as Shaka has previous skins on the wall and clearly can coach.

Our former coach?  Well...it was obvious 10 games in as head coach he didn't have "it."  I know it pains you and a few others here to realize I was right on Wojo..10 games in..as you and others begged for "patience" still 5 years into his tenure.  LMAO.  A real basketball sage you are, Sultan.  Not.  Stop being so effin hypersensitive about Wojo.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »
did anyone else notice kris middleton and coach bud at the game. pretty cool

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2022, 06:56:02 PM »
Cam’s dagger was magical
But Morsell’s bully ball layup the possession before (I think) was the real dagger

Cam is a walk on.

Kam is a freshman who has made a ton of impressive plays and shows a prowess for shooting both 3's and creative lay ups. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
I don't "keep doing so."  The poster commented about how we'd feel should Shaka lose in the first round which happens to be exactly what Shaka's predecessor did in his two NCAA tourney appearances in 7 years.

You DO keep doing so. Indeed, you did again here. You should be better than that.

Oh, and you do know who has lost in the first round the last eight years, including to a team full of midgets just 10 months ago? Had he and his team not choked worse than Aaron Rodgers, he'd still be Texas' coach.

I sure hope Shaka snaps that streak ... and I think he will.

We Are Marquette!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2022, 07:00:38 PM »

I’d also like to compliment whoever filled in for Mike J on the PA. Enjoyed his call.

He does volleyball PA.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »
Middleton was there.  Trend, Kinsella, 2004 Final Four team.  Coach Crean and Dom honored at half time.  All great to see.

In addition, love how the defense has improved and how we double down trap on the ball more, lots of steals from it.

Kolek needs to figure out how to score when he drives.  Just too many missed shots five feet and in.

Loved the smack talking going on from Kolek when he knocked down the 3.

Love Elliott's mojo.  He is in his groove, singing and dancing during pregame warmups and knocking down 3 after 3 after 3.  Waving his hands to pump up the crowd.  Great energy, great production.  Love the kid.

Kam Jones is going to be a stud next year.

Lewis scoring is awesome, grabbing 13 boards and some of them big time go get them boards is HUGE.

Agree with original post that our offense settled for 3s of the not great variety too often but some of them still went in.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2022, 07:11:21 PM »
Kolek needs to figure out how to score when he drives.  Just too many missed shots five feet and in.

To me, his most worst miss was when he drove hard from the right side but still tried a left-handed layup right into where the defender was playing him. Never had a chance to go in, whereas he would have scored or drawn a foul (or both) if he had gone up strong with his right hand.

Kolek's a hard-worker and obviously has talent. I am surprised that 2 years into his college career he's shooting that shot left-handed.

So in addition to needing a float game and a pull-up shot, if TK really wants to take his PG game to the next level he needs to be able to finish with his right hand.

Love his vision, passing and toughness, though, and he's an OK catch-and-shoot 3 guy if he takes his time and his fundamentals are sound.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2022, 07:12:17 PM »
Wes there? Haven’t seen him pictured or mentioned. No idea if he remained close with the other 2 classmates.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2022, 07:45:11 PM »
All of my team thoughts have already been mentioned above so I’d like to compliment the officiating today.  Thought they had a great game.

I’d also like to compliment whoever filled in for Mike J on the PA. Enjoyed his call.

Steve Lynch! My year at MU. Great guy
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:46:14 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2022, 09:52:21 PM »
Wes there? Haven’t seen him pictured or mentioned. No idea if he remained close with the other 2 classmates.

Love Wes.... I sat courtside for the Raptors game after MU beat Seton Hall.... I said "Let's go Wes, We are Marquette baby!!"  and he turned around and said to me "Huge win today".  It was so awesome.

Elonsmusk

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2022, 10:15:27 PM »
Attention span replay

https://youtu.be/hhpYjotAwyY

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 10:47:44 PM »
Cam is a walk on.

Kam is a freshman who has made a ton of impressive plays and shows a prowess for shooting both 3's and creative lay ups.

Cam models his game after Duane Wade.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2022, 05:00:03 AM »
Cam is a walk on.

And, Oso is a 6’ 9” player who wears no. 13.

There is no Osa on the team, despite many posters’ consistent reference to such a person/player.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2022, 06:21:15 AM »
Good stuff from Coach, Kam and Stevie.

Classy giving Wojo credit for bringing in Kam and Stevie. Didn't need to say that, but he did because he's a class guy.

There will be some bumps on the road, but this could turn out to be one of the best moves Marquette ever made. I road Scholl (and Lovell) hard for keeping around Wojo as long as they did, but maybe they knew Shaka was their guy and were biding their time until he was available. 4-D chess.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »
Cam models his game after Duane Wade.
I see a lot more Devante in him, with a splash of Marcus.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Sturgeon General Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2022, 09:37:22 AM »
Was listening to the radio broadcast. Homer out sick. Whoever the play by play guy was was awful. Tony kept having to jump in with actual details.

I believe it was producer Kent Sommerfeld which makes me think it was a last minute fill in. Agree it was really difficult to even know what was going on but I give him props if he had to do it on the fly.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
Not sure where else to put this but thought it was interesting.

Marquette gave up 18 points in the first four minutes of the second half. They gave up 46 points in the other thirty-six minutes.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2022, 10:36:49 AM »
Not sure where else to put this but thought it was interesting.

Marquette gave up 18 points in the first four minutes of the second half. They gave up 46 points in the other thirty-six minutes.

And only 8 pts in teh final 10 minutes. Seems the "wear them down" theory of this defense being like a good running game is happening--at least in the past 2 games.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2022, 10:39:52 AM »
And only 8 pts in teh final 10 minutes. Seems the "wear them down" theory of this defense being like a good running game is happening--at least in the past 2 games.

I kept watching the highlights and it didn't get much better over the next two minutes. Let up 24 over the first six minutes of the 2H and 40 points during the other thirty-four minutes. Other than that one stretch, the defense was incredible.

feedback