'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What's changed with MU's offense?  (Read 2032 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] What's changed with MU's offense?
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:27:21 PM »
Apologies if this is a duplicate for some, but thought I'd throw a few of my recent Tweet threads in an easier to consume format.

Long story short, the increase in volume on cuts, change in 3-point rate and more optimal shot distribution has me more optimistic than I've been all season.

https://painttouches.com/2022/01/13/whats-changed-with-marquettes-offense/

DoctorV

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What's changed with MU's offense?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:48:01 PM »
Great work, thanks for sharing.

One thing seems for sure, something has changed. Another thing that’s certain, several things have changed.

Not to throw any shade at the excellent data, but the elephant in the room is the big dip in the quality of defenses faced. That was a big change that will quickly change again starting Saturday, so we will see how the offense holds up.

That said, it seems obvious to my eyes that starting with the Creighton game there seemed to be a shift in the way MU was playing offensively- we discussed in depth coach Nevada Smiths run and gun offense stressing early and often 3P attempts. Many argued that perhaps that style wasn’t suited for this particular crop of players and suggested that the offense seemed to move too fast for its own good. 

The data shows the offense is playing slower, but not substantially slower. We’ve mentioned more “deliberate” and that’s a good descriptor, one that can be seen as synonymous with “less rushed.”
Sometimes more deliberate and less rushed can appear as if you are playing slower due to the increased efficiency and better shot selection.

The thing that jumped out to me that tells me that Shaka, likely along with Nevada and his other assistants, made a deliberate change to the system was that…

The ratio or 3s as overall FG attempts has gone down pretty significantly.
MU is attempting less 3s, and therefore less 3s early in the shot clock. Instead we’ve got the P&R, the cuts, the amazing ball movement, the dunks, and less of the 3s, but much better quality 3s and cleaner looks from 3.

It’s been an awesome shift and fun as hell to watch. As the team runs into better defensive competition in the next month some of those new offensive wrinkles won’t be there for the taking, and more 3s will be taken and many more will look rushed or not as clean of looks. Hopefully those fall and along with these new offensive wrinkles it carries Marquette to some wins.

Either way, don’t underestimate the importance of the grand scheme of what this shift says about Shaka and his ability to adapt. It’s a huge deal imo, and a sign of good things to come in his career at MU

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »
Apologies if this is a duplicate for some, but thought I'd throw a few of my recent Tweet threads in an easier to consume format.

Long story short, the increase in volume on cuts, change in 3-point rate and more optimal shot distribution has me more optimistic than I've been all season.

https://painttouches.com/2022/01/13/whats-changed-with-marquettes-offense/

This was great work as always by Andrei.  Incredible we have broken the school record for dunks already, and have the 2nd most dunks in NCAA D-1, after never having finished in the Top 50 since 2010.

Goose called it early that we are in for a lot of dunks in the Shaka era.  I suspect recruiting bouncy, long guys like Oso, Itjere, will get easier and easier over time for Shaka.

IF Justin and Greg stay at MU next year, I think it is possible MU could be an Elite 8 caliber team - assuming all of Kolek, O-Max, Kam, Joplin, Stevie, Emarion.  We most definitely will miss Kur, but, and a big but..it may be possible that Itjere can step into that role and play similarly - he's long and very athletic.  (Should be a good shot blocker.)

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:33:39 PM »
This was great work as always by Andrei.  Incredible we have broken the school record for dunks already, and have the 2nd most dunks in NCAA D-1, after never having finished in the Top 50 since 2010.

Goose called it early that we are in for a lot of dunks in the Shaka era.  I suspect recruiting bouncy, long guys like Oso, Itjere, will get easier and easier over time for Shaka.

IF Justin and Greg stay at MU next year, I think it is possible MU could be an Elite 8 caliber team - assuming all of Kolek, O-Max, Kam, Joplin, Stevie, Emarion.  We most definitely will miss Kur, but, and a big but..it may be possible that Itjere can step into that role and play similarly - he's long and very athletic.  (Should be a good shot blocker.)

Buzz hated dunkers.  That’s why he never recruited anyone that dunked in high school.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:24 PM »
Great work again, Andrei. My only quibble would be with the labeling of the chart. Dec. to Nov. with vectors with arrows is actually confusing (at least to me). I was going to say that the arrows seem to be going the wrong way, but when one reverses the order of the months, it becomes clear.

At any rate, you have clearly pointed out a change in our offensive approach. Thanks.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:32:08 PM »
Buzz hated dunkers.  That’s why he never recruited anyone that dunked in high school.

I know you are kidding.

And DJO would like a word with you. And Buzz would like to act crazy quirky.

https://youtu.be/6HVd493yAhM

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 07:42:41 AM »
Great work again, Andrei. My only quibble would be with the labeling of the chart. Dec. to Nov. with vectors with arrows is actually confusing (at least to me). I was going to say that the arrows seem to be going the wrong way, but when one reverses the order of the months, it becomes clear.

Oh man, it's supposed to say Dec -> Jan, thanks for catching that!

The dots are Dec. The arrows are Jan.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 09:26:02 AM »

IF Justin and Greg stay at MU next year, I think it is possible MU could be an Elite 8 caliber team - assuming all of Kolek, O-Max, Kam, Joplin, Stevie, Emarion.  We most definitely will miss Kur, but, and a big but..it may be possible that Itjere can step into that role and play similarly - he's long and very athletic. (Should be a good shot blocker.)

Oso becomes Kur,
Itjere becomes Oso

Roster construction matters. Shaka is a pro. This is fun.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 09:29:44 AM »
Oso becomes Kur,
Itjere becomes Oso

Roster construction matters. Shaka is a pro. This is fun.

There can only be two, a master and an apprentice
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 09:33:01 AM »
On the bench and in the team huddles, Itejere looks every bit as tall and muscular  as Osa.  I hope he using his red shirt season productively.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.