[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz  (Read 19964 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson has some thoughts on Buzz
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:15 AM »
Another scoop kerfuffle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:36 AM »
Yeah, but one of the best QBs for Da Bears  is also one of the top QBs for the Packers. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Jim McMahon has as many super bowl rings as Farve and Rodgers combined.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2022, 11:57:56 AM »
Jim McMahon has as many super bowl rings as Farve and Rodgers combined.

They both were only playing for appearances in the NFC finals, Super Bowls are overrated.

Maigh Eo for Sam

fjm

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
No cover needed. Simply embarrassing for a college grad. Or, do we accept and excuse this too, hey?

Bro you “graduated college” and claim to be a “doctor” or “dentist” and you type like absolute dog sh!t every day.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2022, 12:05:11 PM »
I'm not trying to defend Buzz, just stating the reasons behind his departure.

The reason behind Buzz's departure is he was looking out for Buzz.
Which is perfectly fine with me.
But the martyrization of Buzz by some quarters of Scoop is asinine.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2022, 12:11:28 PM »
maybe we should pull up that link to the chicago tribune article...  good riddance Buzz. Some transgressions are bigger than basketball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 12:13:56 PM »
Korrection, dat's too MU degrees, hey?
This was funny.

You're right ... it is funny. Although roQQet has two degrees from Marquette, he literally can't string two sentences together. But at least he's old and white, so that's enough to keep Doc Dribble from "calling him out" as being "simply embarrassing for a college grad."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »
Okay.  Thats how you feel but isn't backed up by the data.
the data?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »
the data?

Yes, go check out our various coaches win %s.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 01:00:46 PM »
Yes, go check out our various coaches win %s.

Their win percentages are almost identical (.664 Crean to .668 Buzz), but Crean took over a program in far worse shape.
If we're being honest, Crean and Kevin O'Neill are much more responsible for the current state of MU basketball than Buzz.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 01:09:06 PM »
Their win percentages are almost identical (.664 Crean to .668 Buzz), but Crean took over a program in far worse shape.
If we're being honest, Crean and Kevin O'Neill are much more responsible for the current state of MU basketball than Buzz.

They are. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2022, 01:11:13 PM »
However, THE reason that buzz ultimately decided to leave was when Larry Williams  greatly restricted JUCO recruitment. under Larry's new rule, JUCO's could only play ball for Marquette if they had enough credits to graduate while on the team. players like Jae Crowder were no longer "accaptable" in Larry's eyes.

On the other hand, when Bob Huggins backs off a recruit because of academic concerns . . .

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2022, 01:12:59 PM »

The other factor to consider is whether the program was in better shape that it was on the first day of a coach's tenure.

Crean and O'Neil both left with Marquette in better shape than the day they came in.  Buzz left the program in worse shape.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
Buzz being a self interested before leaving and kinda being a con man, thats nothing new.

Duane felt like he didnt do enough research and Arizona would have been better for him, I guess that makes some sense. Sits behind TJ McConnel year 1, and probably Gabe York year 2, and plays more year 3-4. Okay i guess. Not sure Arizona was as much of an option for him as he thinks it was but I'll go along with it. I thought Memphis or Mizzou were his next two options.

I mean for him it was mostly injuries. Bounce leaves guys quickly if they get injured. Even freaks like Zion lose bounce real quick. Its not like he was insanely close making the league ever. Dude was at his highest 53 in his class. Even when Duane was recruited, everyone was looking at Diamond stone on his jr/sr year Dominican teams.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »
Not to mention having Diamond on his team gave him a lot of wide open looks. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
The other factor to consider is whether the program was in better shape that it was on the first day of a coach's tenure.

Crean and O'Neil both left with Marquette in better shape than the day they came in.  Buzz left the program in worse shape.

I think we drastically underrate the state Buzz left MU. His last team wasn’t THAT far from making the tournament. A few OT/close games go the other way, and they might have squeaked in. He also had 3 straight Sweet 16s with one being an Elite Eight. He definitely raised the profile of MU.

Him leaving MU put us in a bind as he had a pretty good recruiting class coming in and we hired an assistant without players to bring. However, I do think MU was a better program for having Buzz in it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2022, 01:34:42 PM »

Buzz is the most successful coach in Virginia Tech history???

Howie Shannon took them further in the NCAA Tournament and had a higher winning percentage to boot.

I'm gonna take the guy who had 4 straight over .500 conference seasons, finishing in the top half of the conference each time, in the modern ACC (which every team over him each year was a top 25 team) after taking over a program that won 6 total conference games the year prior...over the guy who had 2 nice years as an Independent and sputtered to the finish.

Buzz left ignominiously and MU fans have a right to be annoyed with it, but the dude coached his ass off in Blacksburg

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

Buzz is the most successful coach in Virginia Tech history???

Howie Shannon took them further in the NCAA Tournament and had a higher winning percentage to boot.

I'm gonna take the guy who had 4 straight over .500 conference seasons, finishing in the top half of the conference each time, in the modern ACC (which every team over him each year was a top 25 team) after taking over a program that won 6 total conference games the year prior...over the guy who had 2 nice years as an Independent and sputtered to the finish.

Buzz left ignominiously and MU fans have a right to be annoyed with it, but the dude coached his ass off in Blacksburg and would have had another top 15-20 team if he stayed

mug644

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »
I think we drastically underrate the state Buzz left MU. His last team wasn’t THAT far from making the tournament. A few OT/close games go the other way, and they might have squeaked in. He also had 3 straight Sweet 16s with one being an Elite Eight. He definitely raised the profile of MU.

Him leaving MU put us in a bind as he had a pretty good recruiting class coming in and we hired an assistant without players to bring. However, I do think MU was a better program for having Buzz in it.

Fair points, though the vibe that last year (even from where I live in New England) was negative to the core. And, I'd refine your italicized statement to read "had a high profile and good results while Buzz was here."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »

One of Buzz's S16 teams that we applaud (and for good reason) made the NCAAT only because we won a bunch of games at the buzzer or in OT ... so one can always play the what-if game. Sometimes you win those, sometimes you don't; it's hard to win them with the kind of backcourt Buzz put together.

I personally enjoyed just about all of the Buzz era and I agree he definitely lifted the program's profile. But he did inherit the Amigos and Lazar, obviously a far better situation than he left when he flew the coop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »

Buzz left ignominiously and MU fans have a right to be annoyed with it, but the dude coached his ass off in Blacksburg

I guess.  That says more about how bad VPI basketball is than it does how good Buzz is though.  Cause I would expect guys who "coach their ass off" in the ACC to do better than Buzz did.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
Wut? Dat Crean sux?

Don't do this to us, Mike. Bob the Babbler already posts too much.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »

I guess.  That says more about how bad VPI basketball is than it does how good Buzz is though.  Cause I would expect guys who "coach their ass off" in the ACC to do better than Buzz did.
Yeah Mike Young seems to be doing just fine too.  Buzz has won 2 tournament games since the 2013 E8.  He had a great run at MU, but it feels like he gets graded on a curve because he's taken two lateral moves since, which is something you don't see great coaches do.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »
Really? Can you further discuss this? MU being over cautious?

Title IX in terms of equity in treatment between male and female student-athletes, not anything related to the sexual assault issue a few years prior. The complaints spanned many years (I remember freshmen female hoops players in doubles in McCormick but the male freshmen in having their own rooms Humphrey).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2022, 01:52:47 PM »
Brass tacks! They're all a bit dilly in the loaf

Crack on, Galway.

feedback