[Today at 02:29:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: GAME THREAD: 1-11-22 DE PAUL AT THE QUETTE  (Read 8553 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: GAME THREAD: 1-11-22 DE PAUL AT THE QUETTE
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2022, 06:04:00 PM »
Yep.  Perfect for a 10-15 minute role.  8-)  But Stevie has a lot more upside/talent offensively than Derrick.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
It seems to me that the people who keep saying DJ Carton would be such a good fit on this team, must have only watched highlight reels from last season and didn't watch any of the actual games where DJ excelled for 5-10 minutes a game and was often non-existent for the other 30 plus minutes, especially on defense. This team would not be as good as it currently is with DJ on the team.  First of all, as others have said, they would most likely not have gotten a player like Morsell to transfer and there could have been other potential player losses.  Also, there is a reason that DJ was so excited about the hiring of Shaka at first and then shortly after Shaka arrived and the expectations became clear, he quickly changed his mind and decided not to return. He knew he would not be a good fit on this team and wisely made the choice to leave.  He came here to play for a Wojo type of coach, not a Shaka type of coach.   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2022, 06:27:20 AM »
It seems to me that the people who keep saying DJ Carton would be such a good fit on this team, must have only watched highlight reels from last season and didn't watch any of the actual games where DJ excelled for 5-10 minutes a game and was often non-existent for the other 30 plus minutes, especially on defense. This team would not be as good as it currently is with DJ on the team.  First of all, as others have said, they would most likely not have gotten a player like Morsell to transfer and there could have been other potential player losses.  Also, there is a reason that DJ was so excited about the hiring of Shaka at first and then shortly after Shaka arrived and the expectations became clear, he quickly changed his mind and decided not to return. He knew he would not be a good fit on this team and wisely made the choice to leave.  He came here to play for a Wojo type of coach, not a Shaka type of coach.   

DJ had the physical tools to excel in this system and once I knew Haynes was coming on board, I was excited about seeing him in it. And I knew Morsell and Haynes were coming before DJ left, so that wasn't ever a concern.

Remember, Haynes is the guy that turned Zavier Simpson into a lockdown guard at Michigan before working with Ant Cowan and Darryl Morsell at Maryland. He has a history of turning promising guards into studs. We're watching that right now with Kolek, and also with Kam and Stevie as they carve out bigger roles.

Maybe DJ was reminded of the one year at Marquette then off to the NBA plan, maybe someone convinced him he was ready, maybe he was afraid of hard work so he decided becoming a professional was easier. But my faith was in his obvious talent and this staff's track record of success with similarly talented guards.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
DJ had the physical tools to excel in this system and once I knew Haynes was coming on board, I was excited about seeing him in it. And I knew Morsell and Haynes were coming before DJ left, so that wasn't ever a concern.

Remember, Haynes is the guy that turned Zavier Simpson into a lockdown guard at Michigan before working with Ant Cowan and Darryl Morsell at Maryland. He has a history of turning promising guards into studs. We're watching that right now with Kolek, and also with Kam and Stevie as they carve out bigger roles.

Maybe DJ was reminded of the one year at Marquette then off to the NBA plan, maybe someone convinced him he was ready, maybe he was afraid of hard work so he decided becoming a professional was easier. But my faith was in his obvious talent and this staff's track record of success with similarly talented guards.

All good points.  I think everyone agrees he was talented and perhaps this coaching staff could have brought out more of his potential and instilled in him a better work ethic on both ends of the floor for the entire game.  It will be interesting to see how his career progresses and I do hope he does well.