'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: GAME THREAD: 1-11-22 DE PAUL AT THE QUETTE  (Read 8536 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: GAME THREAD: 1-11-22 DE PAUL AT THE QUETTE
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:20 PM »
Stevie's onball D is excellent
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:28 PM »
Stevie is going to be a BE DPOY type.  His hands and feet on defense are insane.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:37 PM »
Hammer dropped.

We must take out the Hall.  It's imperative.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:45 PM »
I don't remember this many dunks from MU ever in my time watching

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
This is a very unselfish team. Excellent passing. You could not say that for any MU team in the last several years.

Yes. They are so much better than we’ve seen.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:07 PM »
Stevie Mitchell is played pretty good tonight

He’s been really solid the last couple games. Cutting down on the freshman mistakes.

Always plays hard nosed
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:18 PM »
Morsell pretty good bulling his way to the rim. More of that please.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:53 PM »
And then Mitchell up tight and blowing out his lungs and picks his pocket. And what happens. JL for a dunk. ESPN highlight stuff.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:07 PM »
What would Jamal look like on this team?
I'm probably in the minority, but I'll take OMax instead. Carton on the other hand I think would have been a monster in this scheme
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:21 PM »
Thinking about he many heads would have exploded if they did one of these with Wojo. Have a feeling it would have sounded pretty similar to Stubblefield.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:45 PM »
What would Jamal look like on this team?

Man....we would be extremely dangerous.   I think he would fit like a glove.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2022, 07:49:10 PM »
I don't remember this many dunks from MU ever in my time watching

Not since Jim Mcilvaine played here.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2022, 07:51:48 PM »
Frosh chucking early shot clock 3's

mug644

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2022, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm probably in the minority, but I'll take OMax instead. Carton on the other hand I think would have been a monster in this scheme

I'm in the same group. I'd love Carton (though it would be at the expense of Jones and Mitchell's development), but don't miss Jamal.

More and more, I love the team we have this year. Go MU!!

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »
I was disappointed when Carton left. He had the talent. However, I believe he would expect too many shots. And the team would be hurt as far as developing the younger players. I didn't believe the theory that Carton and Morsell would keep MU respectable. Why not get away from that old sad story? Being satisfied for the middle of the pack in the BE? NO NO.  I'd rather have Kolek. He's not looking to score so he has to set up other guys to score. Get dimes. Build a team. I think this team will compete in every game this season because they play hard. And they have learned how to score on the pick and roll. It's only DePaul so I'll temper my enthusiasm Still, if UM presses to the end of this season, and this team comes back next year after realizing their potential they will compete with the teams at the top of the rankings next year. It's fun to watch, right now, like tonight, but don't get suicidal when they lose, and remember it's going to get better. A whole lot better.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2022, 08:40:37 PM »
UM!?!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »
I think the future for MU hoops is bright and I stated this very early in the season.  That said, and I may be nitpicking a bit, we are going to have to find a way to clean the glass and get to loose balls.  This will hurt us in close games against the best teams in our league and I don't see any reason why we can't be better in this area. Catch and value the basketball, It's pretty simple.  Box out and usurp rebounds with two hands.  Increase the tenacity and freaking grab the rock, stop being so reactive.  If we can clean this up we will likely have a great opportunity to be right there in every conference game and perhaps find our way into the dance.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2022, 11:12:59 PM »
Stevie Mitchell is played pretty good tonight

I agree.  Think it was his best game at MU.  Perfect role for him to relieve Kolek, and be high energy on D.  He avoided turnovers tonight and was an absolute pest on defense.  Encouraging to see.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2022, 11:17:33 PM »

I like O-Max, but Jamal would have been perfect for this team.  His defensive rebounding ability is sorely needed, and his athleticism would flourish on this dunk city team.  I also believe Kolek is head and shoulders above DJ as a PG.  DJ a better athlete, but that's about it.  Kolek's ability to force help, collapse D, keep his dribble alive, and vision and passing are ELITE.  He makes playing the game fun for all of his teammates.  DJ?  I don't think he'd have that effect.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2022, 11:20:17 PM »
I agree.  Think it was his best game at MU.  Perfect role for him to relieve Kolek, and be high energy on D.  He avoided turnovers tonight and was an absolute pest on defense.  Encouraging to see.

So you’re saying he was Derrick Wilson tonight?

*ducks*

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2022, 11:42:15 PM »
#4 is not bad

Full disclosure, I though Javon Freeman would end up with a better career than Ayo Dosunmu.

Whoops.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2022, 11:50:30 PM »
So you’re saying he was Derrick Wilson tonight?

*ducks*

Yep.  Perfect for a 10-15 minute role.  8-)  But Stevie has a lot more upside/talent offensively than Derrick.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2022, 10:41:17 AM »
I like O-Max, but Jamal would have been perfect for this team.  His defensive rebounding ability is sorely needed, and his athleticism would flourish on this dunk city team.
I agree with you re rebounding; Jamal has always been excellent on the boards. I think OMax is a better fit, however, for two reasons: first, as we saw for four seasons, Jamal had trouble handling the ball, which is required in this offense, and second, I think OMax is a better defender. Both are athletic freaks, but I don't cringe everytime OMax puts the ball on the floor as I did with Jamal.

I also believe Kolek is head and shoulders above DJ as a PG.  DJ a better athlete, but that's about it.  Kolek's ability to force help, collapse D, keep his dribble alive, and vision and passing are ELITE.  He makes playing the game fun for all of his teammates.  DJ?  I don't think he'd have that effect.
DJ is a two guard, not a PG. No doubt Kolek is much better handling the ball and running the offense. DJ was forced into the PG role last year and wasn't particularly comfortable or competent at it. Just another case of faulty roster composition from Wojo.

But, put DJ in the SG position on this team? I think he adds to the parade of dunks. It would come at the expense of Kam's development, however, but if we were just looking at this year I think DJ would have been outstanding (although only if he were willing to put forth the defensive effort Shaka wants).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:08:46 PM by TSmith34 »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
I agree with you re rebounding; Jamal has always been excellent on the boards. I think OMax is a better fit, however, for two reasons: first, as we saw for four seasons, Jamal had trouble handling the ball, which is required in this offense, and second, I think OMax is a better defender. Both are athletic freaks, but I don't cringe everytime OMax puts the ball on the floor as I did with Jamal.
DJ is a two guard, not a PG. No doubt Kolek is much better handling the ball and running the offense. DJ was forced into the PG role last year and wasn't particularly comfortable or competent at it. Just another case of faulty roster composition from Wojo.

But, put DJ in the SG position on this team? I think he adds to the parade of dunks. It would come at the expense of Kam's development, however, but if we were just looking at this year I think DJ would have been outstanding (although only if he were willing to put forth the defensive effort Shaka wants).

I agree that it was always a bit of adventure in Jamal's career when he put the ball on the deck, however he's tightened that up and improved.  Defensively, I felt Jamal got a bad rap here, generally speaking.  In my recollection he was a very good defender, but was charged with A LOT of help defense which can compromise the appearance of on ball.  That aside, OMax is a very good defender so can't argue there.

As for DJ, I think based on what you wrote that becomes a function of who would you rather have on this team playing the 2?  Darryl or DJ?  I'd choose Darryl, despite DJ being electric and explosive. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »
As for DJ, I think based on what you wrote that becomes a function of who would you rather have on this team playing the 2?  Darryl or DJ?  I'd choose Darryl, despite DJ being electric and explosive.

If you can only have one and not the other, I agree with you, DM is my choice. He has two qualities that this team really needs, defensive ability and leadership, and is better in both categories than DJ. I think there is room on the team for both, though.

feedback