[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What Are Your Marquette Favorites  (Read 9292 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: What Are Your Marquette Favorites
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
Favorite play:  Doc Rivers 30 footer to beat ND, Jan 1981
Favorite game:  MU beats Kentucky to advance to Final Four March, 2003
Favorite game attended:  Doc Rivers 30 footer to beat ND, Jan 1981
Favorite season:  2002-2003
Favorite player:  Damon Key
Favorite coach:  Buzz Williams (I came to MU after McGuire)
Favorite team:  2002-2003
Favorite jersey:  The Jae Crowder era home whites
Was at that No Dick game
My memory was that shot was close to Half court so more like 40 feet.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »
The UNC was the most electric atmosphere I ever saw for a regular season game and that is saying a lot. That weekend was unreal, starting Friday night at The Gym Bar watching the replay of the championship game, selling tshirts and hanging With Rick for a bit. Sadly, it ended in a very big disappontment. That game had everything you would want as an MU fan aside from the win.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2022, 11:01:34 AM »
dgies

I was at the Rick Mount game and was heartbroken. Granted, I was a little guy and took loses very hard. Worse, Ric Cobb is one of my favorite MU players off the court and he did miss key free throws.

Brother Goose:

Ditto on all accounts.

I was a teen in Nashville the day that game was played and, like you, took it hard. Cobb was a decent guy and also one of my favorites.

What’s even worse is that it is impossible to hate Rick Mount. He also was an incredibly decent dude and a fellow I’d love to have a beer with some Friday afternoon, even if he did go to Purdue!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2022, 11:18:51 AM »
Was at that No Dick game
My memory was that shot was close to Half court so more like 40 feet.

Video: https://twitter.com/MUOverload/status/1202097926908129281?s=20

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2022, 12:05:24 PM »
OK. It is official. 35 feet! As I say often F#@k No Dick.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2022, 12:12:13 PM »
OK. It is official. 35 feet! As I say often F#@k No Dick.

Why do you think “No Dick” is an insult?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2022, 03:01:05 PM »
Why do you think “No Dick” is an insult?
Isn't it?

loid walden

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
Favorite play: Maurice Lucas, after playing like crap the whole game beats Wisconsin at the buzzer.  Al jumps up on the scorers table and gets the finger from the Hughes kids parents..Still makes me smile.
Favorite game: See above
Favorite game attended: See above
Favorite season:1977
Favorite player: Lloyd Walton  [obviously : )
Favorite coach: Al
Favorite team: 1976. Loss to Indiana [undefeated I believe] Our best team I think ..I liked the Diener Novak Wade team also
Favorite jersey: ?? not big on jerseys but the 77 jersey was good

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2022, 03:46:46 PM »
dgies

I was at the Rick Mount game and was heartbroken. Granted, I was a little guy and took loses very hard. Worse, Ric Cobb is one of my favorite MU players off the court and he did miss key free throws.

Talked to Ric about that, his comment was at least I made the first one.  Worst play was when Dean let George bring the ball up at the end of the game and George Faeber picked his pocket, there would have been no free throws if Dean would have brought the ball up.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2022, 04:32:04 PM »

Talked to Ric about that, his comment was at least I made the first one.  Worst play was when Dean let George bring the ball up at the end of the game and George Faeber picked his pocket, there would have been no free throws if Dean would have brought the ball up.

In fairness to Ric, no one person loses a game, a team does. The free throw may have been the most obvious mistake (like not fouling last week against Creighton) but everybody on that floor contributed equally to  putting Ric in a spot where he HAD to make the free throws.

That game aggravated the hell out of me — until the Ohio State game two years later.

Those were the days and we hope many more are ahead!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »
In fairness to Ric, no one person loses a game, a team does. The free throw may have been the most obvious mistake (like not fouling last week against Creighton) but everybody on that floor contributed equally to  putting Ric in a spot where he HAD to make the free throws.

That game aggravated the hell out of me — until the Ohio State game two years later.

I blame MUCoup at the time. Tin cans and strings

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2022, 04:54:27 PM »

Dean was a bigger mistake running away from the ball, he did not like Billy Keller who was guarding, tough guard

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2022, 07:40:16 AM »
Isn't it?

No.  Half the population doesn't have one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dyckesville

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »
These are all great memories, but the heartbreaker for me was in the Warriors infancy when they let the Salukis come back from I think a 13 point half time deficit to beat them in the NIT championship. Also have to say I loved Pat Smith and Bob Wolf, the
y got us going.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2022, 10:41:42 AM »
These are all great memories, but the heartbreaker for me was in the Warriors infancy when they let the Salukis come back from I think a 13 point half time deficit to beat them in the NIT championship. Also have to say I loved Pat Smith and Bob Wolf, the
y got us going.

if we win that NIT, Rick Mount doesn't hit his shot, Ohio St doesn't hit their shot, Al doesn't get ejected against NC St, chines doesn't leave, we don't turn down the NCAA invite then we basically become UCLA right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
dgies

Goose and brother dgies

I was a junior in college and it broke my heart, too! After beating Kentucky on Thursday night the team and we fans were on cloud 9.Three of us drove up to Madison with our girlfriends for the Purdue game Saturday.. We did a good job on Mount but they also had two other really good players (Keller and Gilliam if I remember correctly). The ride home was the longest, most somber 90 miles imaginable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2022, 10:46:42 AM »
y got us going.

We couldn’t stop Clyde Frazier in the 2nd half.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2022, 10:51:34 AM »
if we win that NIT, Rick Mount doesn't hit his shot, Ohio St doesn't hit their shot, Al doesn't get ejected against NC St, chines doesn't leave, we don't turn down the NCAA invite then we basically become UCLA right?

Galway

Nobody was or could have been UCLA, but in those days we were the next best thing.

It was even better than being “Duke North”.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2022, 10:52:52 AM »
Favorite play: Diener's free throws/fist-pumps/screams to seal the comeback win against UL in Freedom Hall, 2003
Favorite game: Regional final vs. UK, 2003
Favorite game attended: Novak drops 41 to beat #2 UCONN in MU's first ever Big East game
Favorite season: '02-'03
Favorite player: Diener/Wade/Robert Jackson all tied for the top
Favorite coach: Al, Shaka with potential but has work to do
Favorite team: '02-'03 with '01-'02 as a close runner-up.  You could feel something special on the horizon.
Favorite jersey: '75-'79 were pretty great.

Least Favorite play: Marcus Jackson playing point guard in '05, pick any of them
Least Favorite game: NCAA First round loss to Stanford, Brook Lopez
Least Favorite game attended: February '03 loss to #2 Louisville, Reece Gaines (Also secretly my favorite game though)
Least Favorite season: '04-'05, capped off by the first round embarrassment to Western Michigan...2019 was pretty bad though
Least Favorite player: Ryan Amoroso
Least Favorite coach: Steve Wojciehowski, his deer in headlights blank stare as things fall apart haunts my soul
Least Favorite team: The team that wrote the letter to Wojo was such an unmitigated catastrophe.
Least Favorite jersey: The current ones
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »
Galway

Nobody was or could have been UCLA, but in those days we were the next best thing.

It was even better than being “Duke North”.

I know I'm being a bit heavy on the hyperbole, would be nice to be a clear cut "next best thing" which likely would've been the case with any two of the mentioned things.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:43 AM »
Least Favorite play: The play Dominic broke his foot.
Least Favorite game: Stanford
Least Favorite game attended: Any loss to DePaul.
Least Favorite season: 2003-04
Least Favorite player: James Matthews. Dude was a problem from literally day one.
Least Favorite coach: Wojo
Least Favorite team: 2003-04
Least Favorite jersey: Current Set

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »
Video: https://twitter.com/MUOverload/status/1202097926908129281?s=20

Thanks for posting that video. It had been years since I had seen it.

I was sitting on the exact opposite side of the court from where Wilson inbounded the ball. Front row, and had a perfect view. And yet the memory plays tricks -- I had remembered it from being almost at half-court when he released it, but the video evidence is pretty clear that it was more like 30 feet.

The scene afterward was wild. I remember Wilson ended up sitting on top of the rim.

I love hearing Rivers talk about it in this clip you posted, love hearing how excited he remains about it years later: "It's funny; if Notre Dame football is on, I at some point go back to that shot ... and I love it!" I have the exact same reaction to this day, seriously -- I see ND and I think about that shot.

To most of us at Marquette then, he was Glenn, not Doc. Truly a nice guy, and a great ambassador for the university and the basketball program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
dgies

where I went to basketball camp in middle school Mount was an annual presenter and our shooting coach. The guy was an absolute dick but could make everything he put up. I remember one year some kid was talking and laughing and Mount called him out and dared him to make three shots in a row. The kid did and Mount said "you got lucky, now sit down."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2022, 12:09:04 PM »
Least favorite play: Dom James breaks foot against UConn. Felt like our season was over, and it kind of was.
Least favorite game: Loss at Louisville, 2011. Went from up 18 with just over 5:00 to play and about to hand them a record Yum! Center loss, instead we took the loss.
Least favorite game attended: Georgetown 2019. 'Nova's loss handed us another chance at clinching the Big East title, led by 7 with about 10:00 to play, then lost the game and Big East in the final minutes.
Least favorite season: 2020-21
Least favorite player: Joey, though I suppose he did indirectly get rid of Wojo, so that's something.
Least favorite coach: Wojo
Least favorite team: 2020-21
Least favorite jersey: The 2016-2020 (are those dates correct?) grays. No connection to the school, don't look cool, just atrocious.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

Favorite play:  Vander's game-winner against Davidson
Favorite game: MU vs. Kentucky to advance to the Final Four my senior year.
Favorite game attended: Beating #1 Cincinnati in 2002. We were in the front row of the student section. I brought the American flag.
Favorite season: 2002-2003
Favorite player: Wade
Favorite coach: It's early but I already really like Shaka -- seems like a great coach and a good person.
Favorite team: The midgets were fun
Favorite jersey: I like the alternates from 2007-2011.