[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 69635 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #1250 on: September 25, 2022, 08:53:04 PM »
Speith made a bunch of bombs today.  Maybe he starts contending in Majors again?

jordie is a great ambassador for golf.  if LIV gets him, look out!
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: September 26, 2022, 09:56:41 AM »
jordie is a great ambassador for golf.  if LIV gets him, look out!

Jordan is in the safe camp. No worries about him at the moment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: September 28, 2022, 08:49:10 PM »
Here's a fun story, according to Golfweek:

LIV Golf is nearing a deal to purchase air time for its tournaments on U.S. cable television, multiple sources have told Golfweek. The potential agreement — which is still being finalized — is with Fox Sports 1.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/09/27/liv-golf-fox-sports-buy-time-to-air-tournaments/

While media companies typically pay sports leagues a substantial rights fee to air their products, the deal would not see LIV receive payment, said a source familiar with the discussions. Instead, LIV — which is controversially financed by the Saudi Arabian regime’s Public Investment Fund — would buy time on the cable channel to air its events, a move that will be widely interpreted as a failure to attract serious commercial interest in what it is offering.

Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

“We’re talking to four different networks, and live conversations where offers are being put on the table,” he told ESPN. “They can see what we’re delivering.”

A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp. Last month, Sports Business Journal reported that Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of Donald Trump, had been calling broadcasters trying to generate interest in a LIV television package. In 2021, Kushner’s private equity firm, Affinity Partners, secured $2 billion in funding from the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

“There were people at Fox who wanted nothing to do with this,” the source said. “They were forced to do it.”

LIV requested a rights fee for year two of any deal and a guaranteed time slot on network television but both proposals were rejected by Fox, according to a source familiar with the specifics of the conversations. It is believed Fox has offered to re-evaluate network placement at a later date. LIV will also be responsible for the production of its tournament broadcasts and for selling commercial sponsorships during its time slots, two tasks that would usually fall to a broadcast partner.

“Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

It's weak ... but hey, at least it's tainted! And of course, Kushner is involved; after bringing about world peace, he was available.

For what it's worth, LIV is sort of denying Golfweek's report: https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2022-09-28/report-liv-golf-nearing-deal-to-buy-tv-time-on-fs1
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: September 28, 2022, 08:51:20 PM »
Here's a fun story, according to Golfweek:

LIV Golf is nearing a deal to purchase air time for its tournaments on U.S. cable television, multiple sources have told Golfweek. The potential agreement — which is still being finalized — is with Fox Sports 1.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/09/27/liv-golf-fox-sports-buy-time-to-air-tournaments/

While media companies typically pay sports leagues a substantial rights fee to air their products, the deal would not see LIV receive payment, said a source familiar with the discussions. Instead, LIV — which is controversially financed by the Saudi Arabian regime’s Public Investment Fund — would buy time on the cable channel to air its events, a move that will be widely interpreted as a failure to attract serious commercial interest in what it is offering.

Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

“We’re talking to four different networks, and live conversations where offers are being put on the table,” he told ESPN. “They can see what we’re delivering.”

A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp. Last month, Sports Business Journal reported that Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of Donald Trump, had been calling broadcasters trying to generate interest in a LIV television package. In 2021, Kushner’s private equity firm, Affinity Partners, secured $2 billion in funding from the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

“There were people at Fox who wanted nothing to do with this,” the source said. “They were forced to do it.”

LIV requested a rights fee for year two of any deal and a guaranteed time slot on network television but both proposals were rejected by Fox, according to a source familiar with the specifics of the conversations. It is believed Fox has offered to re-evaluate network placement at a later date. LIV will also be responsible for the production of its tournament broadcasts and for selling commercial sponsorships during its time slots, two tasks that would usually fall to a broadcast partner.

“Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

It's weak ... but hey, at least it's tainted! And of course, Kushner is involved; after bringing about world peace, he was available.

For what it's worth, LIV is sort of denying Golfweek's report: https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2022-09-28/report-liv-golf-nearing-deal-to-buy-tv-time-on-fs1

Weird.  Greg Norman said networks were fighting over LIV rights.  Peas in a pod or something
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: September 29, 2022, 01:56:40 PM »
As previously stated, I hope the LIV dies.

That said, I believe the NHL 'gave away' broadcast rights to NBC for free a few years ago. I think after a strike. And it's not unheard of paying for broadcast time and making money (a profit) off it by selling ads.

This may not be the death nail we hope for, but it doesn't look good for LIV.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: September 29, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
As previously stated, I hope the LIV dies.

That said, I believe the NHL 'gave away' broadcast rights to NBC for free a few years ago. I think after a strike. And it's not unheard of paying for broadcast time and making money (a profit) off it by selling ads.

This may not be the death nail we hope for, but it doesn't look good for LIV.

I mean, in a similar fashion, the NBA has funded the WNBA for decades as it lost money and struggled.  Now the league is getting traction, better broadcast deals, maybe loss leading is paying off. 

Could be the same for LIV.  Or it could be like NFL Europe.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: September 29, 2022, 03:29:24 PM »
I mean, in a similar fashion, the NBA has funded the WNBA for decades as it lost money and struggled.  Now the league is getting traction, better broadcast deals, maybe loss leading is paying off. 

Could be the same for LIV.  Or it could be like NFL Europe.

The question that no one really knows is how long the Saudis will continue to dump money into LIV.

I'm guessing that Norman came up with some plan that brought in media dollars to offset some of the costs of LIV. I think the Saudis will stick with it and continue to support LIV even without a media deal. It's Norman that I don't see lasting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: September 29, 2022, 03:34:03 PM »
I hit 13 out of 14 fairways today and shot 71.   

Sorry for the interruption.  Back to the descent into ob-LIV-ion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: September 29, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

When will you be joining LIV and for how much?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: September 29, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
It was a good day for a schlub.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: September 29, 2022, 04:36:55 PM »

Fahrenheit, ewe braggin' orr komplanin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: September 29, 2022, 06:27:49 PM »
Any day I break par is a good day.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: September 29, 2022, 08:05:58 PM »
Any day I break par is a good day.   
Any day I break par, I'm in a scrabble.  :D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: September 29, 2022, 08:11:28 PM »
Any day I break par, I'm in a scrabble.  :D

You just need better tiles.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: September 29, 2022, 08:18:07 PM »

I was in your neck of the woods last weekend. Played Pilgrim’s Run Friday and then both courses at Egypt Valley on Saturday. Loved all 3 spots. Pilgrims is a hidden gem and Egypt has fun tracks as well. Doesn’t hurt that I played really well (for me).

Great weekend
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: September 29, 2022, 08:30:51 PM »
Once upon a time, a Champion's tour event was played at Egypt Valley.   Very nice course.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: October 01, 2022, 09:38:37 AM »
The PGA Tour should really embrace the strategic alliance with the Euro Tour and their Fall swing.  Wentworth, French Open, Italian Open and then the Dunhill Links.  Great events that need more promotion in the states

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: October 01, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »
Rico

I was just thinking about a crazy idea, what about moving The Open Championship until the fall when the weather puts teeth on the course? The majors are too close together, imo and it would make for interesting golf later into the season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: October 01, 2022, 09:51:50 AM »
Rico

I was just thinking about a crazy idea, what about moving The Open Championship until the fall when the weather puts teeth on the course? The majors are too close together, imo and it would make for interesting golf later into the season.

I’d like it but I think getting a full field through 72 holes without massive weather and sunset delays would be an issue.  Weather can be dicey in July as well.  Sort of like the crispy conditions one year and then wind and rain the next.

I like the summer run on the islands, but agree the majors are too close together.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: October 01, 2022, 10:16:11 AM »

That has merit, Goose, but they had the PGA Championship in mid-August for decades before moving it to May a few years ago for the express purpose of putting the majors close together. So I don't think there's any going back to a more spread-out majors schedule.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: October 01, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »

I get it. Only mentioning it because the Old Course is far different in October than it is in July.

Rico
I agree, but I believe The Open used to be played with a Wednesday-Saturday format and that could be used to allow for weather or darkness. Still a weekend finish.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: October 01, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »

I get it. Only mentioning it because the Old Course is far different in October than it is in July.

Rico
I agree, but I believe The Open used to be played with a Wednesday-Saturday format and that could be used to allow for weather or darkness. Still a weekend finish.

I should have probably mentioned TV probably wouldn’t be too keen with a move and TV dictates a lot of this, sadly

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: October 01, 2022, 01:46:22 PM »
They moved the majors out of the fall because of the playoffs and the Ryder/Presidents Cups.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: October 01, 2022, 04:43:21 PM »
They moved the majors out of the fall because of the NFL.

FIFY

feedback