collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70422 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #825 on: July 20, 2022, 08:50:02 AM »
Well he's succeeding.  Obviously LIV wasn't interested in Stenson's golf skills.

Easy mark.  He lost all his money about a decade ago. He’s recouped a lot of it but he’s not as wealthy as he should be
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
Double Dribble

With all the Brits hitting LIV I do not think have a team dentist is far behind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #827 on: July 20, 2022, 08:58:49 AM »
Easy mark.  He lost all his money about a decade ago. He’s recouped a lot of it but he’s not as wealthy as he should be

It was a power move because of the Ryder Cup.  It's going to be a rough time for a few years for professional golf.  Unless it's conceivable that a hammer counter-move can be executed by the PGA and those in charge of the Majors.  LiV getting young stars is an enormous problem. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #828 on: July 20, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »
Rico

I think a few of the Euro guys have taken some hits financially over the years. Many of the UK guys had Chubby Chandler as an agent and he lost them all and has now disappeared from the scene. Something tells me the new LIV guys are playing catch up on lost money from poor decisions.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #829 on: July 20, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
Rico

I think a few of the Euro guys have taken some hits financially over the years. Many of the UK guys had Chubby Chandler as an agent and he lost them all and has now disappeared from the scene. Something tells me the new LIV guys are playing catch up on lost money from poor decisions.

Definitely.  Westwood got taking to the cleaners in his divorce.  Poulter’s clothing line was a bust and he likes to buy cars.  Sergio is just a wanker.

A guy like McDowell probably thought this was his last chance to cash in and didn’t understand the potential backlash or refused to believe it would happen.  If I’ve learned one thing or had one thing reinforced is, these guys aren’t very smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #830 on: July 20, 2022, 09:46:05 AM »
No Laying Up reporting Charles Howell III joining Saudi Golf League this week as well.  Ok

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #831 on: July 20, 2022, 09:49:02 AM »
A guy like McDowell probably thought this was his last chance to cash in and didn’t understand the potential backlash or refused to believe it would happen.  If I’ve learned one thing or had one thing reinforced is, these guys aren’t very smart

For better or worse, I also think there is just a different perspective on doing business with unsavory foreign nations among the internationals.  I don't claim to be up on the European coverage of LIV, so someone can tell me if I'm totally off-base, but I suspect that it is generally less concerned about the evils of sportswashing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #832 on: July 20, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »
For better or worse, I also think there is just a different perspective on doing business with unsavory foreign nations among the internationals.  I don't claim to be up on the European coverage of LIV, so someone can tell me if I'm totally off-base, but I suspect that it is generally less concerned about the evils of sportswashing.

European soccer clubs have been doing tours of the Middle East and China as oil money grabs for a decade plus.  Not to mention the number of Middle Eastern royals that own soccer clubs.  The UK has been plenty cozy with Dubai/UAE for a long time.  I don't know for certain either but I think its likely less of a concern.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #833 on: July 20, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »
Yeah, I mean, how many Newcastle United fans are all that upset about the Saudis purchasing their team?

I think its because this just doesn't happen all that often in American sports. There is maybe a handful of NFL, NBA and MLB teams with any foreign involvement in ownership, none of whom have their roots in middle east oil money.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #834 on: July 20, 2022, 10:20:09 AM »
Yeah, I mean, how many Newcastle United fans are all that upset about the Saudis purchasing their team?

I think its because this just doesn't happen all that often in American sports. There is maybe a handful of NFL, NBA and MLB teams with any foreign involvement in ownership, none of whom have their roots in middle east oil money.

Yea if Newcastle, with a money infusion, return to the mid 90s Shearer years, much less win a title or have Champions League success, they will be be doing chants praising everything Saudi and put a statue of MBS outside St James Park

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #835 on: July 20, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
No Laying Up reporting Charles Howell III joining Saudi Golf League this week as well.  Ok
Would be surprising if true. As he is known as Human ATM on tour, just keeps cranking our earnings year after year, without winning much. 

Although, He is good friends with Sergio, so who knows?.

The PGA Tour response with changed schedule and making it more of a battle to retain tour card may be influencing his decision. Right now he can make top 125 each year, with the new rules I think they are going back to top 60 and then a dog fight to get to 125 ( dont know exactly how it will work)
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #836 on: July 20, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
European soccer clubs have been doing tours of the Middle East and China as oil money grabs for a decade plus.  Not to mention the number of Middle Eastern royals that own soccer clubs.  The UK has been plenty cozy with Dubai/UAE for a long time.  I don't know for certain either but I think its likely less of a concern.

A lot of these European players have an axe to grind with the PGA Tour and America in general as well.  It may not bubble above the surface but there’s resentment they had to come to the states and make big bucks, even though a majority of the LIV events will be in the states.  It’s a perfect storm.

I do believe there has been more of a recent turn against foreign ownership in sports in England, especially after the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  I don’t think the Glazer family is very much liked, either

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #837 on: July 20, 2022, 10:46:34 AM »
The Glazer family isn't much like because they seem to be prioritizing Manchester United as a moneymaking brand versus a soccer club.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #838 on: July 20, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »
I do believe there has been more of a recent turn against foreign ownership in sports in England, especially after the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  I don’t think the Glazer family is very much liked, either

Only when their club isn't performing.  Nobody in Manchester wearing blue has an issue with City Football Group or what womens rights are in Abu Dhabi.  Nobody had a problem with Abramovich when the silverware was rolling in.

There are 4 EPL clubs with UK ownership.  Another 7 in the championship.  Its either neutral parties grandstanding or people upset with their clubs results.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #839 on: July 20, 2022, 01:25:40 PM »
Double Dribble

With all the Brits hitting LIV I do not think have a team dentist is far behind.

Nice knowin' y'all, but I'd be on first private jet to prune da King's choppers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #840 on: July 20, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »
A lot of these European players have an axe to grind with the PGA Tour and America in general as well.  It may not bubble above the surface but there’s resentment they had to come to the states and make big bucks, even though a majority of the LIV events will be in the states.  It’s a perfect storm.

I agree, but what don't they like?? Is it their American wives? The Florida/Texas weather? The lower taxes?

It is funny how many of the Euros stay in the US well after the prime of their playing careers are over.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:46:10 PM by RJax55 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #841 on: July 20, 2022, 01:52:47 PM »
I agree, but what don't they like?? It is their American wives? The Florida/Texas weather? The lower taxes?

It is funny how many of the Euros stay in the US well after the prime of their playing careers are over.

He just said it.  If they could make the same money playing the Euro Tour, they would.  Maybe they don't like that the Euro Tour isn't supported better, idk.

And staying where your job is, or where the most post-playing career opportunities are doesn't necessarily mean you love everything about it. 

Hell, I have a mutual friend who moved to London in his mid 20s and still lives there for work.  He's got a great job making exceptionally good money living in a city I adore.  But he complains about it and not so subtly takes jabs at everything British.  Yet, he's moved roles twice since he went over there, and could do something similar in the states, but the opportunities and comp for him are better there.  He has a British wife and 2 kids and likely will be there for at least a further decade or more.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #842 on: July 20, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »
He just said it.  If they could make the same money playing the Euro Tour, they would.  Maybe they don't like that the Euro Tour isn't supported better, idk.

And staying where your job is, or where the most post-playing career opportunities are doesn't necessarily mean you love everything about it. 

Hell, I have a mutual friend who moved to London in his mid 20s and still lives there for work.  He's got a great job making exceptionally good money living in a city I adore.  But he complains about it and not so subtly takes jabs at everything British.  Yet, he's moved roles twice since he went over there, and could do something similar in the states, but the opportunities and comp for him are better there.  He has a British wife and 2 kids and likely will be there for at least a further decade or more.

Sure, they might not love everything about it, but please don't tell me they hate it. They have the means to live anywhere in the world, and yet, here they are living in Jupiter or the Dallas burbs. Joining LIV isn't going to change that either.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #843 on: July 20, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »
So they have the same perspective as the PGA and our President "on doing business with unsavory foreign nations"?

I don't want to see LIV succeed, but the moral high ground perspective is so full of holes you could drive a truck through them. 

Norman is an ass, the product is inferior, there is no tradition. Good enough for me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #844 on: July 20, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »
Sure, they might not love everything about it, but please don't tell me they hate it. They have the means to live anywhere in the world, and yet, here they are living in Jupiter or the Dallas burbs. Joining LIV isn't going to change that either.

Nobody said anything about "hating it".  Just that there is some resentment towards the PGA and the American-centric nature of it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #845 on: July 20, 2022, 03:43:05 PM »
Nobody said anything about "hating it".  Just that there is some resentment towards the PGA and the American-centric nature of it.

I think that resentment is pretty dumb, but hey, that's my bad take.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #846 on: July 20, 2022, 04:11:24 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #847 on: July 20, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »
Interesting Letter to the Editor in Golf Digest
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/liv-golf-not-to-be-underestimated
            ---Al McGuire

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #848 on: July 21, 2022, 02:49:43 PM »
Happy Masters ticket application rejection day, everyone. One of these years...*

*probably not

🏀

• All American
« Reply #849 on: July 21, 2022, 03:57:02 PM »
Happy Masters ticket application rejection day, everyone. One of these years...*

*probably not

Lucky enough to get Wednesday tickets

feedback