collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70425 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2022, 07:30:20 PM »
A combined two career Tour wins between the three of them.

In the meantime, didn't think it was possible for DeChambeau to make himself any less likeable, and yet here we are.

Ortiz and the Amateur aren't anything, but Wolff is still one of the more intriguing young guys on tour.  He's had mental health struggles and taken some time away, but he still has a NCAA champ, 3 top 15 major finishes (including 2 top 5s) and was on the edge of the top 10 and is still only 23.

And as someone who has defended Bryson in the past, his comments were absolutely moronic and sounded like the 50 Cent Army.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2022, 08:43:25 PM »
You're right, Brooks, we don't believe you.

“You guys will never believe me, but we didn't have the conversation [with LIV] ‘til everything was done at the U.S. Open and figured it out and just said I was going to go one way or another,” Koepka stated. “Here I am.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooks-koepka-says-changed-mind-200438767.html

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #752 on: June 29, 2022, 04:15:14 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #753 on: June 29, 2022, 04:19:13 PM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #754 on: June 29, 2022, 08:41:33 PM »
Finally, they can control their schedules

I'm no expert on the PGA tour and their commissioner.  Nor am I saying that they are as pure as the driven snow.  However, this "I can't spend time with my family" narrative is pretty bizarre to me. These people play golf for a living.  This isn't exactly the same thing as playing NFL football or NHL hockey.  Not to mention the fact that wouldn't the average working man or woman sign up for playing golf Thurs-Sun, even if it's almost every week?  Obviously they practice and travel at lot but is the schedule really preventing them from seeing their families? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #755 on: June 29, 2022, 08:43:15 PM »
Getting paid more up front to play less.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #756 on: June 29, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »
Getting paid more up front to play less.

Yes.  Great Tower.  All of them should just admit this.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #757 on: June 29, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »
I'm no expert on the PGA tour and their commissioner.  Nor am I saying that they are as pure as the driven snow.  However, this "I can't spend time with my family" narrative is pretty bizarre to me. These people play golf for a living.  This isn't exactly the same thing as playing NFL football or NHL hockey.  Not to mention the fact that wouldn't the average working man or woman sign up for playing golf Thurs-Sun, even if it's almost every week?  Obviously they practice and travel at lot but is the schedule really preventing them from seeing their families?

Yeah, it's complete BS.

I got a good laugh from Patrick Reed talking about the trips he took to play Euro Tour events over the past few years. Patrick made it sound like it was forced by The Tour, lol. It definitely wasn't because Patrick loves the Euro press spotlight to keep his stupid Captain America Ryder Cup bs going.

These guys are all a bunch of clowns.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2022, 10:03:56 PM »
Yeah, it's complete BS.

I got a good laugh from Patrick Reed talking about the trips he took to play Euro Tour events over the past few years. Patrick made it sound like it was forced by The Tour, lol. It definitely wasn't because Patrick loves the Euro press spotlight to keep his stupid Captain America Ryder Cup bs going.

These guys are all a bunch of clowns.

Yes and no.  I was talking to my golf pro BIL at dinner tonight about it.  If we're talking the DJs or the Sergios or the Bryson's, then year, its BS.  But he said he can see the appeal for the "filler" on the tour.  They aren't the guys who are making the LIV marketable, but for them the guaranteed money and the schedule is huge.  The big guys is different, its life changing money up front, money talks.

But for lower level guys, the PGA is a slog and its very uncertain.  Comparing it to the NHL or NFL is stupid cause thats plush travel on a more or less steady/guaranteed paycheck.  For lower or mid level PGA guys, you're traveling every week, grinding to make cuts, and if you are missing cuts, you're not making any money.  And you're probably not bringing your family with you cause its expensive and you need to focus.

And playing on the PGA tour isnt like playing a couple of fun rounds with your buddies a few times a week.  Its pressure, its mentally taxing, again, your livelihood is dependent on your shots, not just who buys drinks after the round.

I'm not saying there is any need to pity professional athletes, but the whole "don't complain, you're playing a game" angle in any sport is incredibly stupid to me when you're dealing with incredible competition and cutthroat competition.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »
Yes and no.  I was talking to my golf pro BIL at dinner tonight about it.  If we're talking the DJs or the Sergios or the Bryson's, then year, its BS.  But he said he can see the appeal for the "filler" on the tour.  They aren't the guys who are making the LIV marketable, but for them the guaranteed money and the schedule is huge.  The big guys is different, its life changing money up front, money talks.

But for lower level guys, the PGA is a slog and its very uncertain.  Comparing it to the NHL or NFL is stupid cause thats plush travel on a more or less steady/guaranteed paycheck.  For lower or mid level PGA guys, you're traveling every week, grinding to make cuts, and if you are missing cuts, you're not making any money.  And you're probably not bringing your family with you cause its expensive and you need to focus.

And playing on the PGA tour isnt like playing a couple of fun rounds with your buddies a few times a week.  Its pressure, its mentally taxing, again, your livelihood is dependent on your shots, not just who buys drinks after the round.

I'm not saying there is any need to pity professional athletes, but the whole "don't complain, you're playing a game" angle in any sport is incredibly stupid to me when you're dealing with incredible competition and cutthroat competition.

I'm not talking about KFT guys or PGA journeymen who are fighting for their cards and are not multimillionaires. My comments are directly solely at Reed and Koepka who have spent this week in Portland trotting out complete bs about their schedule. It's the same crap that Westwood, GMac and Sergio tried selling prior to the LIV London event. It's a joke.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #760 on: June 30, 2022, 05:14:07 AM »

I'm comparing it to the NFL and NHL only in the sense that some of these guys were complaining that their bodies were broken down because of their schedule. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #761 on: June 30, 2022, 08:59:39 AM »
I'm comparing it to the NFL and NHL only in the sense that some of these guys were complaining that their bodies were broken down because of their schedule.

You don't think hitting hundreds, if not thousands, of shots a week is taxing?  Again, you're seemingly portraying the golf that pros play as similar to the casual golfer fun rounds, which isn't remotely true.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #762 on: June 30, 2022, 09:03:44 AM »
You don't think hitting hundreds, if not thousands, of shots a week is taxing?  Again, you're seemingly portraying the golf that pros play as similar to the casual golfer fun rounds, which isn't remotely true.

It isn’t.  It’s a silly comparison and I’ve seen it made for years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #763 on: June 30, 2022, 09:16:32 AM »
Do all the pros still have to play in the Pro-Ams the Wednesday before the tournament too?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2022, 09:27:33 AM »
Do all the pros still have to play in the Pro-Ams the Wednesday before the tournament too?

No

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #765 on: June 30, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »

Taxing compared to the existence of your average white collar worker? Sure
Taxing compared to playing 100+ NHL or NBA games over nine months? No. That's a laughable comparison.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #766 on: June 30, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »
Taxing compared to the existence of your average white collar worker? Sure
Taxing compared to playing 100+ NHL or NBA games over nine months? No. That's a laughable comparison.

I never said it was the same level, im not an idiot.  But it doesn't have to be that extent to be taxing or have your body break down.  Burn out, especially mental, which also plays into the physical, is very real.

People are pissed about LIV, for some very legit reasons.  But they are creating silly arguments to try to diminish anything.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #767 on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
I never said it was the same level, im not an idiot.  But it doesn't have to be that extent to be taxing or have your body break down.  Burn out, especially mental, which also plays into the physical, is very real.

People are pissed about LIV, for some very legit reasons.  But they are creating silly arguments to try to diminish anything.

Plus, it may not be as physically taxing, but the mental expense and the time is probably similar. Add in the global travel and sponsor requirements, and it’s not a lifestyle without sacrifices.

That said, I’m not sure how much LIV is going to help with that. I would guess guys have even less flexibility on the tournaments they play. I’m not sure how easily guys can miss a LIV tournament. Once it gets to 14 events, it’s pretty comparable I feel.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #768 on: June 30, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »

One of the things that I have pondered with the rise of LIV is wondering if pro golfers have too long of a career? Is there another sport where the top players consistently play for 25+ years? This longevity becomes an issue because the needs/expectations of a pro in their 40s is very different than a guy in his 20s.

In addition, culturally there's an issue with the game that guys just don't retire. If you can keep your card, you continue the grind. Even for players that are financially set. This partly due to the allure of a rebirth on the Champions Tour, which is one of the reasons I very much dislike the Champions Tour. Instead of moving on, it keeps guys hanging on.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #769 on: June 30, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »

I can only hit about 30 balls or so at the driving range before my hands tire and the shots get real squirrely (as opposed to the normal level of squirrely). That's why I rarely bit balls before a round of golf. I don't know how a guy like Vijay Singh in his prime did it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #770 on: June 30, 2022, 02:42:30 PM »
Therapeutic.  Addicted to the feel of a well struck shot leaving the club face
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #771 on: June 30, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »
One of the things that I have pondered with the rise of LIV is wondering if pro golfers have too long of a career? Is there another sport where the top players consistently play for 25+ years? This longevity becomes an issue because the needs/expectations of a pro in their 40s is very different than a guy in his 20s.

In addition, culturally there's an issue with the game that guys just don't retire. If you can keep your card, you continue the grind. Even for players that are financially set. This partly due to the allure of a rebirth on the Champions Tour, which is one of the reasons I very much dislike the Champions Tour. Instead of moving on, it keeps guys hanging on.

This is a really great point. Most of these guys will continue to play professionally and engage with sponsors, traveling across the country and world to do so, as long as their bodies will allow it ... and well past the point where they've obtained generational wealth.
Which all seems to belie the LIV players' complaints of how hard it all is.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #772 on: June 30, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »

The PGA Tour would be wise to scale back the geriatric tour and focus money and resources elsewhere

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #773 on: June 30, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
The PGA Tour would be wise to scale back the geriatric tour and focus money and resources elsewhere
Champions Tour raises good money for Charities . It also allows sponsors a lower price point for entry.

Great example locally we had Furyk and Friends generate over $1,000,000 for charity in year one.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2022/05/10/furyk-friends-looking-to-build-on-117-million-in-charitable-impact-in-2nd-tournament/

The tour also extends its brand because it keeps the name of past stars out there. People love seeing guys like Ernie Els , John Daly etc in person and up close .

In some respects LIV can help the PGA tour by soaking up the over hill gang in their 40s that they are attracting . Gives them a transitional tour to play in before they go to The Champions
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #774 on: June 30, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
This is a really great point. Most of these guys will continue to play professionally and engage with sponsors, traveling across the country and world to do so, as long as their bodies will allow it ... and well past the point where they've obtained generational wealth.
Which all seems to belie the LIV players' complaints of how hard it all is.

Perfect example is Pat Perez this week. He comes out and talks about missing the birth of his son because of the Fed Ex Cup playoff. At first glance, sounds rough. But, then I think... This is the same Pat Perez that's 46 years old, hasn't won on Tour in 5 years and has a career earnings of nearly $30 million. And, oh, he's been out on Tour since 2002 and has a great pension waiting for him. Why is he grinding it out?

feedback