collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70320 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2022, 09:33:29 AM »
I'm glad that Shipnuck came out with a statement saying Phil was full of sh!t.

Silly question. Is it assumed you are on the record unless stating otherwise? Or assumed off the record unless stating otherwise?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »
So, polarizing.

Throwing Tom Watson under the bus after the 2014 Ryder Cup was the end of my respect for him. Tom did not have a good captaincy, but Phil being Phil, he had to throw gasoline immediately on the fire. A completely pathetic and self-serving move that demonstrated no respect for an all-time great and a man that had captained a prior Cup team to victory.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »
Silly question. Is it assumed you are on the record unless stating otherwise? Or assumed off the record unless stating otherwise?

Yes, it's assumed one is on the record when one consents to be interviewed by a journalist and doesn't ask for it to be off the record. That's just common sense.

Given that Phil is a liar and that Shipnuck has an excellent reputation, it's pretty easy to see what went on here. Phil said idiotic crap that makes him look like a guy who cares about nothing but money, and it looks worse in print than it did when the words came out of his mouth, so he's scrambling to try to save himself in every way possible. Pretty soon he'll blame it on Dubya and Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2022, 09:50:32 AM »

KVV stated this the best. “Off The Record” is a two-way agreement between journalists and subject. A subject doesn’t not get to declare something OTR after the fact or just assume it is such without discussion upfront.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »
Throwing Tom Watson under the bus after the 2014 Ryder Cup was the end of my respect for him. Tom did not have a good captaincy, but Phil being Phil, he had to throw gasoline immediately on the fire. A completely pathetic and self-serving move that demonstrated no respect for an all-time great and a man that had captained a prior Cup team to victory.

Phil showed us who he was a long time ago.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2022, 12:30:54 PM »
I didn't realize Greg Norman Is the CEO of this potential rival league.   He needs Saudi cash too?  What exactly has the PGA tour done to both of these guys that's so egregious??  Am I missing something?  I find this incredibly bizarre and seriously disturbing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:47 PM »
I didn't realize Greg Norman Is the CEO of this potential rival league.   He needs Saudi cash too?  What exactly has the PGA tour done to both of these guys that's so egregious??  Am I missing something?  I find this incredibly bizarre and seriously disturbing.

Norman's been at this for awhile. He's always wanted a global tour, instead of the US-centric tour.

Basically, they're both egotistical maniacs that believe they are the smartest person alive. They have the brash arrogance to believe they can do anything because they cannot do anything wrong.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2022, 12:36:52 PM »

Extreme narcissism rears its ugly head.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2022, 12:51:13 PM »
Norman's been at this for awhile. He's always wanted a global tour, instead of the US-centric tour.

Basically, they're both egotistical maniacs that believe they are the smartest person alive. They have the brash arrogance to believe they can do anything because they cannot do anything wrong.

Yeah, Norman hasn’t been a fan of the tour for decades.  Norman also overvalues his opinion and importance when it comes to the game of golf.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »
I do have a pair of charcoal-colored, Greg Norman-brand golf pants that I got on clearance at Costco for $17. They are the perfect weight to wear on warmer Charlotte days when I umpire youth baseball.

So thanks, Greg!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2022, 12:58:48 PM »
Yeah, Norman hasn’t been a fan of the tour for decades.  Norman also overvalues his opinion and importance when it comes to the game of golf.

What exactly is his beef though??  Because one of the weirder things in Phil's statement  was this "we need to bring change" lecture about the PGA without listing a single thing that he actually objects to.  Is this simply rapacity and ego or is there something specific that people are missing?  As far as I can tell the PGA has been in great shape despite initial concerns that losing Tiger would really hurt the game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2022, 01:19:36 PM »
What exactly is his beef though??  Because one of the weirder things in Phil's statement  was this "we need to bring change" lecture about the PGA without listing a single thing that he actually objects to.  Is this simply rapacity and ego or is there something specific that people are missing?  As far as I can tell the PGA has been in great shape despite initial concerns that losing Tiger would really hurt the game.

Phil, because of his massive gambling debts, thinks the tour is keeping money from him and needs a payday to pay off bookies across the world.

He doesn’t actually care about golf or the tour.  It’s cover for “pay me”.

That said, the tour needs to be overhauled.  The top players should get paid more and the bloated schedule needs to be condensed and have more variety of events. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2022, 03:51:58 PM »
All this talk about Phil's gambling debts - does he owe, like cement shoes money?  Is it possible that the Saudis consolidated his debt before all this even started?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2022, 04:11:15 PM »
All speculation.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2022, 04:59:28 PM »
All this talk about Phil's gambling debts - does he owe, like cement shoes money?  Is it possible that the Saudis consolidated his debt before all this even started?

He’s used his wife to pay off debts before.  Allegedly

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2022, 08:57:00 PM »

Alleged by whom? Other than you?

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2022, 09:44:33 PM »

For God's sake...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2022, 09:03:32 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2022, 12:25:30 PM »
The Shark doing his best Putin today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2022, 12:40:12 PM »
The Shark doing his best Putin today.

Would be better if Putin did his best Shark ... and missed his target over and over again with a lot on the line.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2022, 01:27:54 PM »
Would be better if Putin did his best Shark ... and missed his target over and over again with a lot on the line.

Lol well played

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2022, 06:28:27 PM »
I’ve heard from one guy who would know that Phil is the biggest phony in the game.  I also heard an amazing story about why DJ missed the Masters a few years ago and it had nothing to do with stairs but a fellow player not appreciating approaches towards his then fiancé.

Very much looking forward to Billy Walters book

i think dj has mellowed.  maybe a couple of slap shots up side the head and yes, his "stairway mishap" could have contributed.  also, his sampling of the the "goods" however, is legendary, but not a good way to bond with the boys
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2022, 03:31:27 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2022, 03:46:35 PM »
must have been something phil said-

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33378392/the-american-express-event-pga-tour-no-longer-phil-mickelson-serve-host

maybe a little too much of that saudi sun?
Big Corporations have no back bone. Once this blows over Mickelson will get some new sponsors.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2022, 04:11:12 PM »
Big Corporations have no back bone. Once this blows over Mickelson will get some new sponsors.

Here’s an idea, don’t use a regime known to murder journalists as leverage in your personal feud with the tour and admit it and then double down on it with a non-apology.  And we’re not done with the Phil stories yet.  Drip, drip, drip

feedback