[Today at 09:08:51 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 69583 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #650 on: June 21, 2022, 10:21:34 AM »

I don't think it's that simple.  They have listed criteria for qualification.

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/exemptions.html

https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2022.html (toward the bottom)

As far as I can tell, they don't say anything about being a member in good standing of a PGA tour.  Of course these are the 2022 criteria, and I don't know if they have "published" criteria for 2023.  But they can't just say "but not you" to someone who would have otherwise qualified without facing a lawsuit of some sort.

But aren't they their rules? Can't the National Association of Realtors change its rules about who qualifies to be a member at any time? Augusta National certainly has changed rules to fit its agenda.

I don't know the answer to my question, but these are not public entities. If they're not discriminating against any of the groups that are protected by anti-discrimination laws, how would changing their rules be illegal?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #651 on: June 21, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
But aren't they their rules? Can't the National Association of Realtors change its rules about who qualifies to be a member at any time? Augusta National certainly has changed rules to fit its agenda.

I don't know the answer to my question, but these are not public entities. If they're not discriminating against any of the groups that are protected by anti-discrimination laws, how would changing their rules be illegal?
I'm not a lawyer (thank God  :D) but I don't think you have to fall under the specific groups that are protected. I think those laws just make it easier to prove discrimination.

Either way, it may be more of a anti-competitive / commerce issue. Kind of like when compute& software makers have to make competitive products available on their systems. I think DOJ has forced private companies like MS to allow for Google to work in the Windows space.

Or, I could be 100% wrong.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #652 on: June 21, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »

So you don't see a problem if organizations publish rules for qualification, which the players meet, but then afterwards change them just because?  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.  For instance, the Masters has given lifetime exemption to all past champions, but now they are going to lift that exemption for a reason they have never published before?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #653 on: June 21, 2022, 11:01:24 AM »
I am not a big fan of the PGA's new planned 8 event Fall series for the top guys. IMO, it gives credibility to Liv and I think that is a mistake.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #654 on: June 21, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »
I'm not a lawyer (thank God  :D) but I don't think you have to fall under the specific groups that are protected. I think those laws just make it easier to prove discrimination.

Either way, it may be more of a anti-competitive / commerce issue. Kind of like when compute& software makers have to make competitive products available on their systems. I think DOJ has forced private companies like MS to allow for Google to work in the Windows space.

Or, I could be 100% wrong.

Doesn't the existence of LIV make any anti-competitive argument moot?
It would seem hard to argue that the Masters or some other tournament organzation is preventing you from pursuing your chosen profession when some other organization is paying you $150 million to pursue your chosen profession.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #655 on: June 21, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »

So you don't see a problem if organizations publish rules for qualification, which the players meet, but then afterwards change them just because?  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.  For instance, the Masters has given lifetime exemption to all past champions, but now they are going to lift that exemption for a reason they have never published before?

Not an entirely rhetorical question here, but aren't private organizations allowed to change the way they operate? They can't be perpetually bound by existing rules, right?
I'd be very surprised if the Masters' bylaws don't contain some provision allowing for Augusta National leadership to make changes in tournament operations. And, if so, as long as leadership follows the procedures laid out in the bylaws (i.e. a board vote or something of that nature), I don't think there would be anything prohibiting changes.

• All American
« Reply #656 on: June 21, 2022, 11:27:59 AM »
I think you open yourself up for damages when you say "as a past champion, you qualify for all Masters in your lifetime," but then say "oh but only if you are on the PGA Tour" later on.

Now if the Masters added a rule that said "from now on, all past champions must be on the PGA tour to receive an exemption," that's different.

Does that make sense?

And again, just because they open themselves up to damages, that doesn't mean a court will see it the same way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #657 on: June 21, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »
I kind of feel the Masters will avoid doing that due to how they love having former champions back and playing.

I do see the lack of OWGR points being a way the LIV aren’t able to play. Exemptions will run out at some point. Although, a lot can change in a few years and I see LIV is applying for the OWGR points.

I think a lot of these guys like the lifestyle that comes from being a good golfer, but may not be in love with golf. That’s what makes LIV attractive that it mixes things up and is a significantly reduced schedule. For other guys, it’s the last chance at a big paycheck.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #658 on: June 21, 2022, 11:47:28 AM »
I think you open yourself up for damages when you say "as a past champion, you qualify for all Masters in your lifetime," but then say "oh but only if you are on the PGA Tour" later on.

Now if the Masters added a rule that said "from now on, all past champions must be on the PGA tour to receive an exemption," that's different.

Does that make sense?

And again, just because they open themselves up to damages, that doesn't mean a court will see it the same way.

That’s what the Masters would probably do.  Grandfather clause. 

The USGA and R & A can choose not to invite guys that play primarily on The Saudi Golf Tour but they can allow them to try and qualify
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #659 on: June 21, 2022, 11:48:37 AM »
I am not a big fan of the PGA's new planned 8 event Fall series for the top guys. IMO, it gives credibility to Liv and I think that is a mistake.

They’ll smatter the events throughout the season.  I hated the wraparound season and prefer the proposed system of guys playing for their cards in the fall.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #660 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:09 PM »
LIV has the Champions Tour wrapped up, kill that bloated pig.

PGA Tour will still reign with the majors aligned with them. Masters will do what they do. Players will have to qualify for the US Open. PGA and Players will not be there for them.

OWGR is really what matters here and LIV doesn’t have it. They won’t get it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #661 on: June 21, 2022, 12:08:15 PM »
Rico

I like the guys playing for their card as well, I just would not be throwing more money around for the sake of throwing money around. As a fan, if the winner of a tournament got paid $100m it would not make event more exciting unless it was a complete unknown. More money does not mean better product, IMO.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #662 on: June 21, 2022, 12:27:35 PM »
Rico

I like the guys playing for their card as well, I just would not be throwing more money around for the sake of throwing money around. As a fan, if the winner of a tournament got paid $100m it would not make event more exciting unless it was a complete unknown. More money does not mean better product, IMO.

I don’t disagree.  Unfortunately, they don’t have much choice. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #663 on: June 21, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
Morikawa released statement reference the rumors and is staying on PGA Tour.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #664 on: June 21, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »
Morikawa released statement reference the rumors and is staying on PGA Tour.

Young guys staying on Tour is all that matters. And Tiger.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #665 on: June 21, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
For the 1st time in memory, I didn’t watch even a minute of a Major. I will no longer watch any tournament that includes the LIv players.

Not that it means anything - big picture. Just for my piece of mind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #666 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »
For the 1st time in memory, I didn’t watch even a minute of a Major. I will no longer watch any tournament that includes the LIv players.

Not that it means anything - big picture. Just for my piece of mind.

Wow....really Jockey?  You missed a heck of a tournament.  I just don't know if there will be a way to avoid some LIV players being in majors.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #667 on: June 21, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »

I don't know, Sultan. That's why I asked the questions. Looks like you don't know, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #668 on: June 21, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
I don't know, Sultan. That's why I asked the questions. Looks like you don't know, either.

Never claimed I did.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #669 on: June 21, 2022, 03:25:07 PM »
European tour with some smart maneuvering vis-a-vis LIV . Allowing LIV to play on their tour.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/golf-news-breaking-dp-world-tour-takes-massive-decision-on-liv-golf-players/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #670 on: June 21, 2022, 03:32:08 PM »
European tour with some smart maneuvering vis-a-vis LIV . Allowing LIV to play on their tour.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/golf-news-breaking-dp-world-tour-takes-massive-decision-on-liv-golf-players/

That’s one tournament with a field that was set

nyg

• All American
« Reply #671 on: June 21, 2022, 03:36:47 PM »

They can play in Europe before or after LIV scheduled events, which may limit their participation.  Don’t really need the money, but interesting. Do some of the weak players get automatic invites or qualifications required. DP Tour just like PGA requires a card.  Should be a complete cluster screw up going forward with all the tours. 

LIV schedule:

One in Europe
Five in US
One in Thailand
One in Saudi

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #672 on: June 21, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
Wow....really Jockey?  You missed a heck of a tournament.  I just don't know if there will be a way to avoid some LIV players being in majors.

How good it was is irrelevant.

Those are my principles.  The same money that funded 9/11 is funding these golfers. I want no part of it. You and others are free to believe whatever you want.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #673 on: June 21, 2022, 07:09:06 PM »
Jockster, you sound like a dyed in the wool Republican, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #674 on: June 21, 2022, 07:43:34 PM »
How good it was is irrelevant.

Those are my principles.  The same money that funded 9/11 is funding these golfers. I want no part of it. You and others are free to believe whatever you want.

I get it.  Unfortunately, there are repressive governments involved in a number of sports businesses.  I'm not happy about LIV but enjoy watching the Majors in particular. 

feedback