[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Masks at Fiserv Forum  (Read 26750 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Masks at Fiserv Forum
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »
Why would the idiots on Scoop chastise and try to discredit a poster who has far more knowledge and expertise in this area than the rest of us will ever have by inhaling all the bullchit spit out by the media with help from FD Joe and Fr. Fauci?
Y'all are frankly too fookin' dumb. Woulda thought MU had taught you how to be critical thinkers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2021, 09:23:08 AM »
Doc is slowly transforming into Alex Jones before our very eyes.

Looking back on some of geagles10's posts at the onset of the pandemic, I'm really starting to question his expertise on the subject. Or maybe he still believes COVID is overblown by "the media" and pretty much just the flu.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »
Doc is slowly transforming into Alex Jones before our very eyes.

Looking back on some of geagles10's posts at the onset of the pandemic, I'm really starting to question his expertise on the subject. Or maybe he still believes COVID is overblown by "the media" and pretty much just the flu.

I agree with you those posts were not true, that was back in march 2020 the day the BET was canceled.  For sure this is worse than the flu in some patients, that was before I had seen any patients.  But 2 years later, unfortunately the reality of this whole situation is still not clear to most, in my opinion, for many reasons. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
There is no "putting others at risk".  This is just not true.  Its impossible to avoid the virus in my opinion, after treating covid patients in the ER for 2 years.  Either you get the vaccine and very likely will prevent serious disease in yourself when you do get it, or you are infected and have mild symptoms.  Its no more simple than that.

I agree with that statement. I do wear a mask but the evidence is clear most folks don't wear them correctly and reuse masks constantly which renders them useless. False sense of security. Vaccine is best protection against severe disease.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2021, 09:52:53 AM »
I am a board certified emergency physician for 8 years.  I do see the realities of this virus first hand.  Which point is plainly untrue?    Its so clear that I am admitting very sick unvaccinated high-risk people to the hospital recently, and unvaccinated healthy people and vaccinated high risk people are not admitted and recover at home.

No one is really disputing this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2021, 09:55:59 AM »
Also, Joe Biden and his press secretary both saying it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1471600971755274245?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1471600971755274245%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fdougp-3137%2F2021%2F12%2F20%2Fjen-psaki-says-biden-will-soon-clarify-something-about-covid-19-caution-one-eighty-in-progress%2F

He was wrong about the spread, but he said that vaccines were 100% effective at not getting Covid like you claimed above.  Maybe you should read Twitter sources that are a little less political too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
Pro tip. If you drink beer the entire game you don't have to wear a mask.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
Why would the idiots on Scoop chastise and try to discredit a poster who has far more knowledge and expertise in this area than the rest of us will ever have by inhaling all the bullchit spit out by the media with help from FD Joe and Fr. Fauci?
Y'all are frankly too fookin' dumb. Woulda thought MU had taught you how to be critical thinkers, hey?

Media is always the scapegoat for some folks. Which "media" do people have a problem with?  CNN or MSNBC? Or Fox or Breitbart? The media narrative is a joke. Let's be honest here, what people watch is what they tend to want to believe and the other guys are "fake news". Sadly, this is the world we live in currently.

Doc, I appreciate your contributions to the board and this is not a shot at you. Just a general observation for all of us.

• All American
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2021, 09:59:01 AM »

You literally just discredited someone with a greater background in infectious disease and public health than anyone posting here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #234 on: December 31, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »
You mean the 80 yo fart who hasn't touched or seen a patient in 25 years? Da dude's 15 minutes of fame was up 21 months ago and should never have been the face of this pandemic to begin with? The same putz who is in bed with big pharma and the social media mega giants? Is that who I've discredited, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
There’s enough snowflakes accumulating in this thread to feed an entire Al McGuire team cocaine for a year.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2021, 10:13:36 AM »
Again,

People are over thinking this.  Get the vaccine.  Hedge your bets.  It’s a win for everyone. 

• All American
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
You mean the 80 yo fart who hasn't touched or seen a patient in 25 years? Da dude's 15 minutes of fame was up 21 months ago and should never have been the face of this pandemic to begin with? The same putz who is in bed with big pharma and the social media mega giants? Is that who I've discredited, hey?

LOL...yeah that guy.  As opposed to an anonymous message board guy who is suddenly your best friend because of what he is saying.

Critical thinking indeed.  ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
I agree with you those posts were not true, that was back in march 2020 the day the BET was canceled.  For sure this is worse than the flu in some patients, that was before I had seen any patients.  But 2 years later, unfortunately the reality of this whole situation is still not clear to most, in my opinion, for many reasons.

Good on you for admitting you missed the mark previously.
That said, could you answer my previous question? What is it in your experience treating patients in an ER makes you an expert in mask efficacy, and makes your opinion more credible than the volumes of studies indicating masking works?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #239 on: December 31, 2021, 11:17:13 AM »
Jesus. A mask can’t hurt and will help. Even if you don’t think a mask will help it won’t hurt anybody. You seriously can’t wear something on your face for two hours that might help others?

The same people b!tching about this not ending are the same people that do nothing to help it end.

Cura Personalis

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:50 AM »
Jesus. A mask can’t hurt and will help. Even if you don’t think a mask will help it won’t hurt anybody. You seriously can’t wear something on your face for two hours that might help others?

The same people b!tching about this not ending are the same people that do nothing to help it end.

Cura Personalis
if you really want to make sure dont go to the games. this idea people think theyre being safe and responsible masking at these games is ludacrious beyond words
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:27:17 AM by Johnny B »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #241 on: December 31, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »
Media is always the scapegoat for some folks. Which "media" do people have a problem with?  CNN or MSNBC? Or Fox or Breitbart? The media narrative is a joke. Let's be honest here, what people watch is what they tend to want to believe and the other guys are "fake news". Sadly, this is the world we live in currently.

Doc, I appreciate your contributions to the board and this is not a shot at you. Just a general observation for all of us.

I agree that people generally read or watch  sources that generally support their own point of view.  What I disagree with is media actually reporting "news" as opposed to their particular narrative.  So for example when I go to realclearpolitics  I see a conglomerate of various articles from both sides of the political fence.  If I switch channels between CNN or MSNBC and Fox I essentially get both political points of view as well. 

The problem is that the vast majority of articles and "news" programs are not "news"  Everything that can be politicized generally is.  My point is even if you try to read a wide range of political articles, or listen to various  news sources, you more often than not get stories that are designed to create or reaffirm a particular narrative. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
if you really want to make sure dont go to the games. this idea people think theyre being safe and responsible masking at these games is ludacrious beyond words

Again, you aren’t hurting anyone else by wearing a mask.  You might help someone else.

I have both shots, booster, wear a mask at the games and likely got COVID at the UCLA game. Since I’m vaccinated, going to the games is a chance I don’t mind taking.

But I also don’t mind wearing a mask because it might help someone else. It certainly can’t hurt anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:34:51 AM by TallTitan34 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
Again, you aren’t hurting anyone else by wearing a mask.  You might help someone else.

I have both shots, booster, wear a mask at the games and likely got COVID at the UCLA game. Since I’m vaccinated, going to the games is a chance I don’t mind taking.

But I also don’t mind wearing a mask because it might help someone else. It certainly can’t hurt anyone else.
it can hurt som1 else cuz ur mask doesnt guarantee anything. my point is people are suffering from have your cake and eat it too logic. if you are attending games right now you do not care about covid spread period. if the idea is covid is rampant and people want to help reduce spread  staying home is really the only legit action. these games are entertainment. wish some would admit here. putting a mask on doesnt make it responsible to go. there is no inbetween here. you care about reducing spread or ya dont

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2021, 11:42:47 AM »
Good on you for admitting you missed the mark previously.
That said, could you answer my previous question? What is it in your experience treating patients in an ER makes you an expert in mask efficacy, and makes your opinion more credible than the volumes of studies indicating masking works?

My point is, a vast majority of the patients I see with COVID (whether critically ill or just a stuffy nose) were wearing masks to the best of their ability.  Maybe it is possible you can actually wear a mask 100 percent of the time, go in public, and never get covid or spread it to others.  Unlikely in my opinion and anecdotal.  Maybe a tight fitting n95 at all times and never touch it.  I have not studied mask wearing. 

People can wear masks all they want or do whatever they want, but I guess my point is, get the vaccine if you are worried you are going to get very sick or die or have co morbidities with obesity being #1 in my experience (BEST ADVICE OF ALL IN MY OPINION - with the knowledge you still may catch a more mild case of COVID), and basically we have to move forward with treatments when people do end up testing positive and more forward with society undergoing infection and developing natural immunity. 

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2021, 11:45:22 AM »
it can hurt som1 else cuz ur mask doesnt guarantee anything. my point is people are suffering from have your cake and eat it too logic. if you are attending games right now you do not care about covid spread period. if the idea is covid is rampant and people want to help reduce spread  staying home is really the only legit action. these games are entertainment. wish some would admit here. putting a mask on doesnt make it responsible to go. there is no inbetween here. you care about reducing spread or ya dont

Yes you cannot deny spread is not happening.  You would have to do a complete shutdown again and never leave your house, which still in the end would not work in my opinion.   The way out is high risk people get vaccinated and if/when they test positive, they recover with minimal issues or hospitalization.  Others test positive and recover.  Both underwent natural immune response with great protection for the future. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
So you're that big of a tool to put others at risk? Get off your high horse loser and join us in society trying to end a global pandemic.

Thanks for the name calling. 

I'm healthy and fully vaccinated.  I wouldn't go out of my house if I was sick.  Like many others have expressed here, I've decided to continue to live my life.  I do not feel that I'm putting anyone at risk by wearing or not wearing a mask while healthy.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2021, 11:49:47 AM »

It certainly can't hurt but that's basically what I've been saying.  If you're worried about getting or spreading covid do not go to basketball games right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
My point is, a vast majority of the patients I see with COVID (whether critically ill or just a stuffy nose) were wearing masks to the best of their ability.  Maybe it is possible you can actually wear a mask 100 percent of the time, go in public, and never get covid or spread it to others.  Unlikely in my opinion and anecdotal.  Maybe a tight fitting n95 at all times and never touch it.  I have not studied mask wearing. 

People can wear masks all they want or do whatever they want, but I guess my point is, get the vaccine if you are worried you are going to get very sick or die or have co morbidities with obesity being #1 in my experience (BEST ADVICE OF ALL IN MY OPINION - with the knowledge you still may catch a more mild case of COVID), and basically we have to move forward with treatments when people do end up testing positive and more forward with society undergoing infection and developing natural immunity. 

The primary purpose of masks, and where they're most effective, is to stop the wearer from spreading the disease. They're less effective when it comes to protecting the wearer from contracting it (especially when surrounded by the un-masked).
As a doctor, shouldn't you know this????

As for natural immunity .... all the evidence to date is that 1) it's less effective, and shorter-lived than the vaccine and 2) there's little reason to believe that we'll ever attain herd immunity (see: Sweden).
Everyone should get vaccinated, not just the high risk.

Again, as a doctor, why don't you know these things?

• All American
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »

So you just want the games to go on with no crowds instead?