[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP John Madden  (Read 1527 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
RIP John Madden
« on: December 28, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
John Madden passed away today. My best personal memory of him was from the late 80s . At that time I lived in the Upper West Side in NY . There was grilled chicken  restaurant called Chirping Chicken. Used to see John picking up his Chicken there frequently . Seemed so in character for him.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:42:04 AM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: RIP John Madden
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 07:18:18 AM »
John Madden passed away today. My best personal memory of him was from the late 80s . At that time I lived in the Upper West Side in NY . There was grilled chicken  restaurant called Chirping Chicken. You to see John picking up his Chicken there frequently . Seemed so in character for him.

Good story, Herman. No matter that Madden became quite the “celebrity”, he always remained a “regular guy” - warm and approachable.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
I don't know if there is a sports figure more universally beloved than him.  Loved as an announcer by Boomers and GenXers....and as a video game voice by Millenials and GenZers.  Pretty much a cheerleader for America's favorite sport, who made things interesting but also realized it was just a game.  Sure his schtick got old at times, but at least it was genuine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
I don't know if there is a sports figure more universally beloved than him.  Loved as an announcer by Boomers and GenXers....and as a video game voice by Millenials and GenZers.  Pretty much a cheerleader for America's favorite sport, who made things interesting but also realized it was just a game.  Sure his schtick got old at times, but at least it was genuine.

I thought about this today.  If we had social media during Madden’s early days, would he have been as beloved?  We share instant dislike about announcers with thousands of people during every game.

Or, was Madden so unique, that he set the bar that others have attempted to copy and mostly failed?  I think this is the case.  The 90’s and early 2000’s were full of Madden copycats and largely void of unique voices.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »

I was thinking of late stage Madden vs Vitale.  Madden had his schtick but he was still an insightful and valuable analyst.  He wasn’t just a hokey soundboard of catch phrases.  And he stepped away before he lost it

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 12:53:31 PM »
I was thinking of late stage Madden vs Vitale.  Madden had his schtick but he was still an insightful and valuable analyst.  He wasn’t just a hokey soundboard of catch phrases.  And he stepped away before he lost it

I think he really toned it down when he went to NBC. I think ABC/ESPN thought it was about the schtick, and never grasped that it was a byproduct of his knowledge and enthusiasm.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Wow.  I knew he was well-respected as a coach and had a SB win but didn't realize how impressive his record was until I just looked it up.  10 years.  103 W, 32 L, 7 tie.  Average year was basically 10-3-1.  Never lost more than 4 games in a 14 game season.  Playoffs 8 of 10 years.  AFC championship game 7 of 10 years.  Only real blemish is a 1-6 record in those championship games.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
Wow.  I knew he was well-respected as a coach and had a SB win but didn't realize how impressive his record was until I just looked it up.  10 years.  103 W, 32 L, 7 tie.  Average year was basically 10-3-1.  Never lost more than 4 games in a 14 game season.  Playoffs 8 of 10 years.  AFC championship game 7 of 10 years.  Only real blemish is a 1-6 record in those championship games.

I think they were only upset once in those games too. Had to deal with peak Dolphins and peak Black Curtain Steelers.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 02:07:36 PM »
Interesting that his special on Fox was within just a couple days of his passing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
I think they were only upset once in those games too. Had to deal with peak Dolphins and peak Black Curtain Steelers.

Black Curtain? I thought Pittsburgh was known as the Steel Curtain.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »
Black Curtain? I thought Pittsburgh was known as the Steel Curtain.

LOL. Of course. No idea where I got Black Curtain from. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 08:34:09 PM »
Interesting that his special on Fox was within just a couple days of his passing.

He saw the show three days before his passing.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »
John Madden passed away today. My best personal memory of him was from the late 80s . At that time I lived in the Upper West Side in NY . There was grilled chicken  restaurant called Chirping Chicken. Used to see John picking up his Chicken there frequently . Seemed so in character for him.

Madden lived at the Dakota. He bought a  co-op from Gilda Radner. He used to sit in the courtyard and talk to Yoko.

https://ny.curbed.com/2013/9/4/10201712/john-madden-finally-sells-at-the-dakota-for-3-9-million