[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174165 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #550 on: June 29, 2022, 02:49:31 PM »
He jumps, he dunks, he blocks shots.   One of the problems with not having any widebodies is that there are no widebodies to wrestle with.  No OMP right now due to team Canada.   So OMP can block and dunk on Gold and walk-ons.

I think he is going to be a useful piece.  I don't know this video proves it.
I think you meant to say Keeyan in the last sentence of first paragraph
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #551 on: June 29, 2022, 02:54:04 PM »
I think you are right and will make the appropriate change.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2022, 03:36:50 PM »
Semi teal - Ben Gold nowhere near ready.

Man KI looks great. If he can be a Kur bouncy type presence in the lane this year, look out.

Gold is not in the same league as the athletic players, nor was Steve Novak.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #553 on: June 29, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
He jumps, he dunks, he blocks shots.   One of the problems with not having any widebodies is that there are no widebodies to wrestle with.  No OMP right now due to team Canada.   So KI can block and dunk on Gold and walk-ons.

I think he is going to be a useful piece.  I don't know this video proves it.

I think he will be more impactful defensively than offensively.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »
Probably.   In my head, he is slightly behind where Oso was a year ago.   More athleticism, fewer skills.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #555 on: June 29, 2022, 03:53:12 PM »
I think Gold's shooting might end up being better than we think. Certainly has work to do on his body but not as much work as I initially thought.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #556 on: June 29, 2022, 07:22:07 PM »
I think Gold's shooting might end up being better than we think. Certainly has work to do on his body but not as much work as I initially thought.

From the footage I've seen of Gold he's a much better, more fluid athlete than what Steve Novak was..but of course Novak was an all-world shooter.  I feel Gold will surprise some with being more athletic/bouncier than what many might think.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #557 on: June 29, 2022, 09:42:01 PM »
Fort myers title? Yes….yes they can.
Hang a banner
Goal is National Championship

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #558 on: July 18, 2022, 10:38:49 PM »
Marquette Picked 9th in 2022-23 Big East
By Jon Rothstein today
9. Marquette
Projected Starting 5:
G Tyler Kolek
G Kam Jones
F Zach Wrightstil
F Olivier Maxence-Prosper
F Oso Ighodaro
Projected Bench: Stevie Mitchell, David Joplin, Emarion Ellis, Keeyan Itejere, Ben Gold, Sean Jones, Chase Ross
Key Losses: Justin Lewis, Darryl Morsell, Greg Elliott, Kur Kuath
Key Newcomers: Ben Gold, Sean Jones, Chase Ross, Zach Wrightstil (NAIA transfer)

MarquetteMike1977

• All American

fjm

• All American
« Reply #560 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:32 PM »
Marquette Picked 9th in 2022-23 Big East
By Jon Rothstein today
9. Marquette
Projected Starting 5:
G Tyler Kolek
G Kam Jones
F Zach Wrightstil
F Olivier Maxence-Prosper
F Oso Ighodaro
Projected Bench: Stevie Mitchell, David Joplin, Emarion Ellis, Keeyan Itejere, Ben Gold, Sean Jones, Chase Ross
Key Losses: Justin Lewis, Darryl Morsell, Greg Elliott, Kur Kuath
Key Newcomers: Ben Gold, Sean Jones, Chase Ross, Zach Wrightstil (NAIA transfer)

Sweet! So another top 5 finish and an NCAA tourney birth? I’ll take it.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #561 on: July 19, 2022, 12:48:07 AM »
Sweet! So another top 5 finish and an NCAA tourney birth? I’ll take it.

And another opening round ass-kicking.

Would you take it?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #562 on: July 19, 2022, 12:50:33 AM »
From the footage I've seen of Gold he's a much better, more fluid athlete than what Steve Novak was..but of course Novak was an all-world shooter.  I feel Gold will surprise some with being more athletic/bouncier than what many might think.

I have seen Gold play against some of the TBT players.  He can score, can go the hoop better then Novak for sure.  A little quicker as well.  But he is a 3, much like Steve he will never be a center much less a 4 man.  Elgin Cook lit him up and drove right through is body, Gold was bounced like 5 feet back. But in saying that, MU can use him at the 5, and not sure to many centers will be able to guard him.  It will be interesting how Shaka uses him.  But he is not a center.  Oso and him on the court at the same time will be a rebounding nightmare, zero physicality.  Wrightsil is key.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #563 on: July 19, 2022, 05:14:20 AM »
From the New Haven Register.  Meant to publish a few days ago.
See full article for the entire list.

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article/Midsummer-look-at-Big-East-Top-teams-players-17304087.php

Midsummer look at Big East: Top teams, players, where does UConn men’s basketball fit?
David Borges
Updated: July 15, 2022 9:34 a.m.

8. MARQUETTE: Justin Lewis’s 11th-hour decision to enter the NBA Draft did two things: paved a clearer path for Adama Sanogo to win Big East Player of the Year, and really hurt the Golden Eagles’ chances of a second straight trip to the Big Dance. Apparently, the latter is more concerning to Marquette fans. One thing is certain: This is Shaka’s team now. Only one remnant of the Wojo years (Oso Ighudaro) remains.

Milwaukee’s best?: Big East All-Freshman pick Kam Jones is the top returning scorer at 7.4 points per game.

Key: Point guard Tyler Kolek, a Rhode Islander, dazzled with the ball and was the Big East assists leader. But he’s got to cut down on the turnovers and really needs to shoot better (28.1 percent from 3).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #564 on: July 19, 2022, 05:53:06 AM »
It is possible. If the offseason development isn't as strong as hoped.  Nothing to be done about it.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #565 on: July 19, 2022, 08:22:36 AM »
It is possible. If the offseason development isn't as strong as hoped.  Nothing to be done about it.

I disagree totally with that comment. Jones and Joplin are physically in great shape.  The 7 returnees know each other and there game, a year ago they barely knew each other.  Yes they are really young this year, but there will be improvement by every player

tower912

• All American
« Reply #566 on: July 19, 2022, 08:49:55 AM »
I disagree with the assessment of the team.  I am more optimistic.   But I accept the possibility that I am wrong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #567 on: July 19, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »
BC

It sounds like you might be a bit more optimistic than you were a few months ago? Is that a fair assessment? If so, what has changed your thinking?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #568 on: July 19, 2022, 11:24:24 AM »
BC

It sounds like you might be a bit more optimistic than you were a few months ago? Is that a fair assessment? If so, what has changed your thinking?

I have seen a few of the players play, liked what I saw but really liked the Kolek video, looked like his shot has improved.  MU has a deep team of talented players, can they play together, do not know that.  OMax is a wild card, really could not get his own shot last year and people think he will be drafted next year, do not see it.  Oso not sure either, to soft.  So if those 2 players show improvement they might be pretty good, but a big if.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #569 on: July 19, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »
BC

I think it will come down to the chemistry of the team. I agree that there is a lot of talent, and likely improved talent returning next season. I am far more high on Oso on Omax and looking forward to the season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #570 on: July 19, 2022, 11:50:12 AM »
I continue to be bullish on the prospects for the coming season. I see an impactful growth from players who got meaningful minutes last year , a major step up from those who got less minutes , a quality grad transfer and no need to rely on freshman. One of the freshman may emerge in the rotation early on and a second might get some minutes later in the season.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:24:52 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #571 on: July 19, 2022, 11:59:02 AM »
Preseason ranking is reasonable. However, I also see it reasonable that we pass up one or more of Butler, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's. I do not see us being upstaged by Georgetown and DePaul, However, to my frustration, we seem to lose to Depaul more than any other Big East team does.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #572 on: July 19, 2022, 01:21:15 PM »
I think it will come down to the chemistry of the team. I agree that there is a lot of talent, and likely improved talent returning next season. I am far more high on Oso on Omax and looking forward to the season.

I generally agree with this optimistic take, Goose. Our heroes need to be able to hit some outside shots and also to defend far better than they did down the stretch last season. Wouldn't hurt if they actually grabbed a couple of rebounds, too! But I think we've got a good chance to be a pleasant surprise again.

Now, the next step in the development of Shaka's program will be that we don't have to be a pleasant surprise. We still need talent upgrades to be ranked in the top-3 of these things -- as Marquette should be.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #573 on: July 19, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »
I think this team misses out on the NCAA but makes a NIT run. Finish somewhere 7-8 in BE standings.

Joplin will make a huge jump and take up a decent chunk of JLewis role, minutes and production.  I am not high on Wrightstil.  No shooting range and that will make spacing difficult.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #574 on: July 19, 2022, 02:58:14 PM »
I think this team misses out on the NCAA but makes a NIT run. Finish somewhere 7-8 in BE standings.

Joplin will make a huge jump and take up a decent chunk of JLewis role, minutes and production.  I am not high on Wrightstil.  No shooting range and that will make spacing difficult.
The current bracketology has 7 Big East teams getting bids.
Finished 6th we are in.
7th, iffy
8th NIT

feedback