[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 177922 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #500 on: June 16, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
It was in an Athletic article taking about Shaka's team.

"Redshirt freshman Oso Ighodaro is a former top-150 recruit from Phoenix. He played limited minutes as a freshman at Marquette last season and missed the last nine games with a foot injury, but he has a ranging variety of skills that could expand his playing time as Kuath’s backup. He’s 6-foot-10 and 215 pounds, but is strong enough to play through contact".

I know.  I pointed out that it was stated multiple time by posters in the topic, including by tower in the post just above yours.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #501 on: June 16, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »
By which time he had played just 38 of 725 available minutes. 5.2% of the available minutes. Fewer than Dexter Akanno, he of the 44.5 ORtg, had played to that point. Even Jose Perez, who was clearly outclassed and not remotely a Big East player, carved out a far bigger role on that awful team. And both of those bad players got those minutes while Carton and Garcia were both playing, so your argument doesn't hold water.

Again, provide the EVIDENCE as to Oso's lack of improvement. The numbers say he improved. The minutes say he improved. Performing better on a better team says he improved. If you have proof to the contrary, have at it. Otherwise, it's just a...how did you say it..."lame June level Scoop semantics battle" that you clearly have no ability to wage.

I just don’t understand how you can make a declarative statement about such an inconclusive freshman season that we know effected by injury. He could’ve been injured earlier than what was publicly announced which explains limited playing time ?

Either way, I just don’t think he showed “great improvement” from freshman to sophomore year because of the inconclusiveness of his year one performance. Now do I think he’s poised for a breakout “great improvement” season this year? Given his skill set and opportunity for minutes, absolutely.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
How do you know if he improved if he never played? He was dealing with injuries for a chunk of his first year. Maybe his overall performance this year wouldn’t have been much different than his freshman year if he played similar minutes ?

Wow. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2022, 11:06:03 AM »
Anyway....

Shaka seems enthused about the work Oso has put in.   Shaka clearly has plans for Oso and his skill set going forward.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2022, 11:29:14 AM »
How do you know if he improved if he never played? He was dealing with injuries for a chunk of his first year. Maybe his overall performance this year wouldn’t have been much different than his freshman year if he played similar minutes ?

Not a chance of this with that 2020 staff. Every single player on that roster underperformed with the lone
exception of Dawson.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:40:34 PM by jfp61 »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #505 on: June 16, 2022, 11:49:30 AM »
Love that Shaka basically used a call to action in this interview:  "For bigs that want to attack, have the ball in your hands, be a playmaker, make decisions, our style is great for that."

Oso could prove to have a huge impact on the court for the team, and a huge impact off it from a recruiting perspective by way of being able to showcase his usage/role in Shaka's system.

The Osa/O-Max/Kolek/Kam/Stevie core has a lot of potential.

They have a lot of intriguing lineups they could use this year. I expect Sean Jones to play a lot, maybe even more than Kam's 18.5 minutes per game last season. But...

If they really do plan on using Oso a lot as a decision maker I think a lineup of Oso/OMax/Joplin/Kolek/Kam could be pretty strong offensively. Oso surrounded by another PG and all shooters. That possibility of that lineup will all come down to how well they advance defensively because if that group figures out how to defend it could be really strong.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #506 on: June 16, 2022, 12:01:13 PM »
I just don’t understand how you can make a declarative statement about such an inconclusive freshman season that we know effected by injury. He could’ve been injured earlier than what was publicly announced which explains limited playing time ?

Either way, I just don’t think he showed “great improvement” from freshman to sophomore year because of the inconclusiveness of his year one performance. Now do I think he’s poised for a breakout “great improvement” season this year? Given his skill set and opportunity for minutes, absolutely.

Here's the relevant part: Again, provide the EVIDENCE as to Oso's lack of improvement. The numbers say he improved. The minutes say he improved. Performing better on a better team says he improved. If you have proof to the contrary, have at it. Otherwise, it's just a...how did you say it..."lame June level Scoop semantics battle" that you clearly have no ability to wage.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #507 on: June 16, 2022, 12:17:22 PM »
Here's the relevant part: Again, provide the EVIDENCE as to Oso's lack of improvement. The numbers say he improved. The minutes say he improved. Performing better on a better team says he improved. If you have proof to the contrary, have at it. Otherwise, it's just a...how did you say it..."lame June level Scoop semantics battle" that you clearly have no ability to wage.

And I look at those stats and say, how could you possibly reason he is greatly improved from such a limited sample size of data?

To the semantics point, I never contested he didn’t improve, just that he didn’t greatly improve.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #508 on: June 16, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
And I look at those stats and say, how could you possibly reason he is greatly improved from such a limited sample size of data?

To the semantics point, I never contested he didn’t improve, just that he didn’t greatly improve.

Let's start at the start.  Quantify 'greatly improved' in an objective manner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #509 on: June 16, 2022, 12:51:42 PM »
Let's start at the start.  Quantify 'greatly improved' in an objective manner.

Justin Lewis freshman to sophomore year

• All American
« Reply #510 on: June 16, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »
Justin Lewis freshman to sophomore year

Oso improved way more freshman to sophomore year than Justin Lewis did.  Mostly because Oso had a much lower starting point, but if we are going to objectively look at both players from where they started (freshman year) to where they finished (sophomore year), Oso's improvement was greater without question.

Now Justin Lewis is by far a better player.  Justin was better as a freshman than Oso was as a sophomore no doubt.  But Oso objectively improved more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #511 on: June 16, 2022, 01:50:26 PM »
So for those who watched Shaka's teams and the bigs at Texas, should we expect Oso to have the ball more in the high post to either create off the dribble or via the pass (maybe similar to Noah with the Bulls)?  Or something different?  I'm not expecting Oso to be bringing the ball up the court, leading the break, etc. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #512 on: June 16, 2022, 02:30:45 PM »
Again, there were glimpses last year.   A couple of drives.   A coue of two dribbles and either a handoff in a different spot or a pass to a cutter.   Judging from Coach's words, there will be sets using Oso that way.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #513 on: June 16, 2022, 02:58:51 PM »
Oso improved way more freshman to sophomore year than Justin Lewis did.  Mostly because Oso had a much lower starting point, but if we are going to objectively look at both players from where they started (freshman year) to where they finished (sophomore year), Oso's improvement was greater without question.

Now Justin Lewis is by far a better player.  Justin was better as a freshman than Oso was as a sophomore no doubt.  But Oso objectively improved more.

Way more is a big reach. Oso improved for sure, but skills-wise I'm not sure there was a ton of improvement. He is a rim running big. Other than his outbursts January 1st and 4th, he was relatively quiet and got eaten up on the boards all year.

Lewis improved his 3pt shot and ft% considerably in addition to his face up game, post game and defense. Just the fact that he's being discussed as a potential 1st round pick shows he improved more to me. Very few expected him to be gone after his 2nd year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #514 on: June 16, 2022, 03:27:21 PM »

But they were both freshmen last year.
/ducks

• All American
« Reply #515 on: June 16, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »
Way more is a big reach. Oso improved for sure, but skills-wise I'm not sure there was a ton of improvement. He is a rim running big. Other than his outbursts January 1st and 4th, he was relatively quiet and got eaten up on the boards all year.

Lewis improved his 3pt shot and ft% considerably in addition to his face up game, post game and defense. Just the fact that he's being discussed as a potential 1st round pick shows he improved more to me. Very few expected him to be gone after his 2nd year.

So now let's debate the difference between "more" and "way more."  ::)

I am simply using panda's definition for "greatly improved."  Oso improved as much or more than Justin did. It's just that his starting point was much lower.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #516 on: June 16, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
Again, there were glimpses last year.   A couple of drives.   A coue of two dribbles and either a handoff in a different spot or a pass to a cutter.   Judging from Coach's words, there will be sets using Oso that way.

Oso hitting a few10 footers would do wonders for his play making abilities.  Shaka has to be giving him the green light in this regard I would think as well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #517 on: June 16, 2022, 06:48:43 PM »
I think generally the greatest improvement is between freshmen and sophomore years.
Players get stronger and know what they need to work on during the offseason. They should get better every season, but the improvement rate may be less than in the past.

The one player who consistently improved was Markus Howard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2022, 07:19:36 AM »
So, no discussion about Kolek's appendectomy or Wrightsil's knee procedure?

• All American
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2022, 07:43:04 AM »

What’s to discuss? Both seemed routine, it’s only June, and both will be 100% well before the season starts.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #520 on: June 19, 2022, 07:52:20 AM »
Will Kolek's missing appendix improve or greatly improve his 3 point shot?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥APPENDIX WATCH🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2022, 10:14:33 AM »

Losing those 2 ounces can really help him get some more lift on his jumpshot
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #523 on: June 19, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
What’s to discuss? Both seemed routine, it’s only June, and both will be 100% well before the season starts.

Both will give dodds reason to excuse suboptimal performances come February.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #524 on: June 19, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »
Appendix no matta, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback