Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 178293 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2022, 11:06:40 AM »
Found this in my suggested lineup on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/3VD65FRowXE

I think we are underestimating what Kam Jones did this year and what he can be for this team.  Unanimous All Freshman off the bench isn't easy to do.

Also, not sure of the backup plan, but it looks like the last spot is being saved for Justin and appears that Ben Gold is the backup 5 beyond Oso.

With Gold at the 5, Marquette will have 5 players on the court capable of knocking down the 3. Has that ever happened at Marquette?

I have confidence that the coaches are working on Oso's shot. He was a capable (not good) shooter to the 3-point line in high school. I don't think we'll see him shooting a bunch yet, but I think we will see him taking the occasionally 15-footer.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #301 on: May 03, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »
I would in no way describe Oso as a stretch anything.  In 2 seasons at Marquette he has attempted exactly 0 three pointers.  Defenses will ignore him on the perimeter, and they should.

Gold is the stretch 5. Oso is not.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #302 on: May 03, 2022, 11:13:42 AM »
Gold is the stretch 5. Oso is not.

Got it, misread it, sorry.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »
I have confidence that the coaches are working on Oso's shot. He was a capable (not good) shooter to the 3-point line in high school. I don't think we'll see him shooting a bunch yet, but I think we will see him taking the occasionally 15-footer.

Yes, It would be nice if he could just hit a 15 footer, free throw line extended, he had that shot all year last year!  Never took it. If he starts making that, the center will
have to come out and guard him,  with his quickness he can beat majority of centers he will be up against.  That would make the offense run smoother.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »

Yes, It would be nice if he could just hit a 15 footer, free throw line extended, he had that shot all year last year!  Never took it. If he starts making that, the center will
have to come out and guard him,  with his quickness he can beat majority of centers he will be up against.  That would make the offense run smoother.

I've said it before, but modern basketball doesn't even want the Steph Curry's of the world shooting 15 foot jumpers.  I don't think we'll be seeing our coaching staff having our 6'11" center shooting those shots.  I think it's a lot more likely they'd work on his 3 point shooting, but I don't even see that as being a focus for him.  I'm hoping they're focusing on the weight room with him this offseason.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2022, 11:23:23 AM »
Even the analytics guys are fine with 15 footers if the guys shooting them are really good from those spots. But MU doesn't have anyone who is there yet.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2022, 11:26:09 AM »
I've said it before, but modern basketball doesn't even want the Steph Curry's of the world shooting 15 foot jumpers.  I don't think we'll be seeing our coaching staff having our 6'11" center shooting those shots.  I think it's a lot more likely they'd work on his 3 point shooting, but I don't even see that as being a focus for him.  I'm hoping they're focusing on the weight room with him this offseason.

I agree regarding Oso. He's much more effective screening and rolling to the basket, or attack off the dribble because it can be tough for other bigs to guard.

Since Creighton seems to be the hot topic, we struggled with their pick and roll defense because of how much space Kaulkbrenner took up. Ben Gold is bigger than Oso and close to the size of Kaulkbrenner but can shoot at an extremely high level from deep.  What you see here will add a new dimension to Marquette that will be very difficult for a guy like Kaulkbrenner to defend. The screen and flare rather than the screen and roll.

Against Oso, Kaulkbrenner is drawn away from the basket but still takes up space in the lane because he doesn't have to worry about Oso shooting over the top. That's not the case with Gold.  Gold and Oso are a great compliment to one another.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1514270317794975745?t=2kFEsr_Kl5JxwyGC-KPtQA&s=19
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:28:16 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »
I would in no way describe Oso as a stretch anything.  In 2 seasons at Marquette he has attempted exactly 0 three pointers.  Defenses will ignore him on the perimeter, and they should.

I agree with this, though it's possible he could be that. Usually FT% is a fair indicator of three point shooting ability, and Oso's 73.8% from the line is pretty strong. No guarantee, and he could just as easily end his career with zero three point attempts, but it's not unthinkable that he could develop that skill. It would be a dramatic shift from his current role, but it's within the realm of possibility.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
I agree with this, though it's possible he could be that. Usually FT% is a fair indicator of three point shooting ability, and Oso's 73.8% from the line is pretty strong. No guarantee, and he could just as easily end his career with zero three point attempts, but it's not unthinkable that he could develop that skill. It would be a dramatic shift from his current role, but it's within the realm of possibility.

As Nevada Smith stated there working on changing 4 players outside shot, I think Oso is probably one of them.  A 15 footer opens up the lane, let’s start with that as he did not show it all last year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2022, 04:26:09 PM »
NBA Draft Expert, Jonathan Givony, has Olivier-Maxence Prosper going 59th overall in next years NBA Draft. Obviously there is a lot that can happen between now and then but people are starting to notice the talent.

Very cool to see Justin and OMax getting some of the spotlight they deserve and bringing that light back to Marquette Hoops.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2022, 05:07:07 PM »
Golden

I am going to enjoy Omax this year because I think he will be in a similar position as Justin at the conclusion of next season. Honestly, I think he is going to be a hell of a player this upcoming season.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2022, 05:12:29 PM »
Yup, if your strategy is to score .85 PPP, you have Oso take 15 footers.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2022, 05:14:16 PM »
Golden

I am going to enjoy Omax this year because I think he will be in a similar position as Justin at the conclusion of next season. Honestly, I think he is going to be a hell of a player this upcoming season.

I think he has a lot to like.

Size, strength, athleticism, a respectable jumper, and is well conditioned.  He was always guarding the other teams best player and he got better every week it seemed.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2022, 05:50:34 PM »
Watching the NBA playoffs, I think OMP's skillset translates to the NBA better than does Justin.    He isn't better than Justin right now.   But he has a high ceiling.    I hope he puts in the work to get to his ceiling.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »
Watching the NBA playoffs, I think OMP's skillset translates to the NBA better than does Justin.    He isn't better than Justin right now.   But he has a high ceiling.    I hope he puts in the work to get to his ceiling.

OMP's a more complete (at this respective stage in his college career) version of a Juan Anderson type player.  Long, bouncy, and fast.  We saw what kind of upside that has.

I think his national team exposure/experience will only help him as well.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2022, 06:45:08 PM »
Golden

Agree Goose.  And agree with others who feel his ceiling may be higher than Justin's. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2022, 09:46:05 PM »
Agree Goose.  And agree with others who feel his ceiling may be higher than Justin's.

I like it.  Hope you and Goose are right.  Would be a a good indication that the team will be an NCAA tournament contender again. 

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2022, 04:25:40 PM »
Team Outlook. Feel the Team will be worse than last year without Justin NIT maybe more.  Feel the Team will be better than last year with Justin Sweet 16 maybe more.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2022, 04:33:08 PM »
Still holding out hope that Justin will be back. With him, Omax and Oso, we're going to be nasty!

I like Nasty.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2022, 10:33:44 PM »
Chase Ross, Ben Gold, and David Joplin got some scrimmaging in in Milwaukee today.

A few other D1 representatives from Wisconsin were also there as well as former Golden Eagle, Duane Wilson.
VIOLENCE!

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2022, 12:10:23 PM »
Chase Ross, Ben Gold, and David Joplin got some scrimmaging in in Milwaukee today.

A few other D1 representatives from Wisconsin were also there as well as former Golden Eagle, Duane Wilson.

Gold and Ross both look physically ready to play in the Big East, thats for sure.  We knew Ross was a freak athlete but I was surprised by Gold's bounce.  Looks like a 5 at this level.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »
Gold and Ross both look physically ready to play in the Big East, thats for sure.  We knew Ross was a freak athlete but I was surprised by Gold's bounce.  Looks like a 5 at this level.

Thanks for the information.  That’s good to hear.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »

Can you share more. Every thing I have seen if Gold he still seems very, very skinny and not ready to hang with big East guys.  Has he bulked up?

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
Can you share more. Every thing I have seen if Gold he still seems very, very skinny and not ready to hang with big East guys.  Has he bulked up?

Video of the MKE scrimmages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7MTLN6d2o

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2022, 12:50:11 PM »

There is a long video of the scrimmages from yesterday on Youtube.  It doesnt focus on the Marquette guys too much but Ben Gold had a putback dunk on his own miss, was very impressed by his quick 2nd jump which he got over the rim easily.  He looks built like a college 5.