[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any F1 Fans Here?  (Read 3729 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Any F1 Fans Here?
« on: December 12, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
What a damn mess.  Given how the past few months played out, there was no way this was going to go smoothly, but Masi made a joke of the thing.  They've got the best driver in F1 history, facing his biggest challenge ever, and the whole thing ends with an asterisk.  From a rulebook that is full of "mays" instead of "shalls" to a race director who hasn't interpreted the rules the same way twice all season, I can't help but feel this championship has a very European vs American style of sports officiating about it.  I kinda of wonder if the ambiguity of the whole thing just sits better with non-American viewers?  Coming from any American sports standard, the idea of leaving the discretion of who wins a championship up to what is effectively a commissioner feels gross.

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Any F1 Fans Here?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
As someone who is neither team Max or team Lewis, and just wanted a race as chaotic as the entire season has been, I couldn't have asked for anything more today.  I might feel a little upset if it was the other way around, but it's kinda hard to feel bad for a guy who's won 7 of 9 and is squarely in the GOAT conversation.  Netflix were the real winners today.  Can't wait for next season.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Hamilton really is incredible.  Schumacher retired at 37, a year older than Hamilton currently is.  But given Hamilton’s conditioning and motivations, I think he’s got another 4-5 high level seasons in him.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 01:06:12 PM »
Agree with everything you guys are saying.  Was a bit of a bummer to see Hamilton's incredible run stopped on such madness, but given how quickly the noise calmed down around Mercedes's protests, I'm guessing that standard operating procedure probably dictated that Masi was going to let the lapped cars around.  The whole decision making process there just felt very "injury time/questionable handball in the box" for this American who likes his rules cut and dried.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Rusell replaces Bottas in the other Mercedes next year.  Neither Bottas nor Perez were big factors this year, though Perez had a really important stint between pit stops yesterday to slow Lewis some. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
As someone who is neither team Max or team Lewis, and just wanted a race as chaotic as the entire season has been, I couldn't have asked for anything more today.  I might feel a little upset if it was the other way around, but it's kinda hard to feel bad for a guy who's won 7 of 9 and is squarely in the GOAT conversation.  Netflix were the real winners today.  Can't wait for next season.

Don't watch F1, but a good friend who is an avid fan said the same thing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »
Agree with everything you guys are saying.  Was a bit of a bummer to see Hamilton's incredible run stopped on such madness, but given how quickly the noise calmed down around Mercedes's protests, I'm guessing that standard operating procedure probably dictated that Masi was going to let the lapped cars around.  The whole decision making process there just felt very "injury time/questionable handball in the box" for this American who likes his rules cut and dried.

Like block/charge in basketball?  Or catch/no catch or PI in football?  Or check swing in baseball?  ;)

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 07:03:59 AM »
F1 has been a high-speed parade for years and the fixes are not only obvious to all but those running the show but have already been implemented in other forms of racing:
- identical powertrains to eliminate $$$ as the main advantage
- wider tracks to allow more passing
- reverse order re-starts
etc.
It's also very expensive to go to the races, so it becomes a "once a lifetime" spectator experience, except on TV.

Oh, and Silverstone... who ever thought of having a race on a boring track in the middle of a mud pit (in the middle of nowhere) in a country where it rains every day.  What a dump.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 08:23:17 AM »
F1 has been a high-speed parade for years and the fixes are not only obvious to all but those running the show but have already been implemented in other forms of racing:
- identical powertrains to eliminate $$$ as the main advantage
- wider tracks to allow more passing
- reverse order re-starts
etc.
It's also very expensive to go to the races, so it becomes a "once a lifetime" spectator experience, except on TV.

Oh, and Silverstone... who ever thought of having a race on a boring track in the middle of a mud pit (in the middle of nowhere) in a country where it rains every day.  What a dump.

Was considering going to French Riveria over labor day. Could only swing getting in Saturday and tickets are a non-starter for Monaco race day. Was hoping I could go to the F-2 race which I think is Friday and free - Me and my toddler would not be able to tell the difference between a car going 140 or 150 through a small city.

Indy is cool because you can go every year for $50 in the infield with BYOB and then graduate to the stands as you get older and enjoy the race more.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »
If these reports are true, this race needs to be canceled immediately.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:39 PM »
If these reports are true, this race needs to be canceled immediately.

The reports of the drone strike on the oil field nearby? Or is there something else I missed?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »
The reports of the drone strike on the oil field nearby? Or is there something else I missed?

That’s the one. A terrorist attack 7 miles from the circuit and they continue with FP2 while the fire is still ongoing, and, as of right now, still intend to keep racing.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 07:50:35 PM »
Doesn’t shock me at all, not at the location…

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »
Word is that KSA was making noise that it would be hard to get the teams and equipment out of the country had they refused to race.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 11:38:03 PM »
Word is that KSA was making noise that it would be hard to get the teams and equipment out of the country had they refused to race.

Hey, maybe the Saudis starting a golf league isn’t a great idea.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 08:29:45 AM »
Hey, maybe the Saudis starting a golf league isn’t a great idea.

Maybe that’s why FIGJAM isn’t playing the Masters?  The Saudi’s have him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »
Maybe that’s why FIGJAM isn’t playing the Masters?  The Saudi’s have him

Might have to start calling him Righty.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
Coooooooool -
F1 to race in Las Vegas on a Saturday night from 2023
https://racer.com/2022/03/30/f1-to-race-in-las-vegas-on-a-saturday-night-from-2023/

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 09:52:33 AM »
Sigh. Another street circuit and it means that there’s a very good chance of losing a great historic track in Spa. I love that the sport is growing here in the states, but I’m not a fan of this. Understand why they’re doing it, but not a fan.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 10:07:43 AM »
I knew it was coming, but it still makes me sad as I live in Indianapolis and keep hoping for a race at IMS. Zero chance with that happening with 3 races in US already

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »
Coooooooool -
F1 to race in Las Vegas on a Saturday night from 2023
https://racer.com/2022/03/30/f1-to-race-in-las-vegas-on-a-saturday-night-from-2023/

The track layout is pretty cool.  Thats a LOOOOONNNGG straightaway.  The visuals are gonna be awesome

I knew it was coming, but it still makes me sad as I live in Indianapolis and keep hoping for a race at IMS. Zero chance with that happening with 3 races in US already

No offense, but that layout stinks.  Half the race on the track and the rest zig zagging (but not all that much) through the infield?  Pass.  Thats ok for an Indy road race, but not F1.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »
No offense, but that layout stinks.  Half the race on the track and the rest zig zagging (but not all that much) through the infield?  Pass.  Thats ok for an Indy road race, but not F1.

Oh, ya, for sure.

But I still wanted it cause it's so close!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 11:11:06 AM »

OTOH, the Indy 500 was an official race on the F1 calendar between 1950 and 1960.  But you are right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
The track layout is pretty cool.  Thats a LOOOOONNNGG straightaway.  The visuals are gonna be awesome

Totally agree - the layout is one that should appeal/be a good bridge from conventional grand prixs to an American audience.  I think that F1 has a great product to market in the States, but it has to focus on the extravagance and spectacle.  This goes a long way toward that.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »
Totally agree - the layout is one that should appeal/be a good bridge from conventional grand prixs to an American audience.  I think that F1 has a great product to market in the States, but it has to focus on the extravagance and spectacle.  This goes a long way toward that.

I think it’s tough to make that claim based solely on track route and how interesting I may/may not seem. There are still a lot of unknown factors that could make or break Vegas.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2022, 11:48:57 AM »
I think it’s tough to make that claim based solely on track route and how interesting I may/may not seem. There are still a lot of unknown factors that could make or break Vegas.

Oh sure, its definitely a "necessary but not sufficient" kind of thing. But I think they have the right kind of event in mind here.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »

It's pretty difficult to have an F1 race on a banked oval, especially with Michelin Tires (too soon Indy?)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2023, 11:19:30 PM »
I was in Vegas last week for work, staying at the Bellagio. I left last Friday, and walking across to PH/Paris multiple times, I thought there was no way in hell they were going to get an F1 quality track down on the Strip in time.

Not surprised at all tonight’s practice got immediately cancelled.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2023, 11:42:27 PM »
I am living in Las Vegas right now, and I am not going anywhere near the strip this weekend.

The whole F1 thing has been a cluster.  Hotels and restaurants jacked up their prices to ridiculous amounts (e.g., $2500 minimum to eat at a restaurant with a view of the race).  Traffic is so effed up that it is taking workers on the strip 3 hours to get to work when it normally takes 20 minutes.  They cut down huge trees to put up grandstands.  Tipped employees are going to be working their asses off for less money because most of the fans are going to be non-Americans who don't understand (or care about) the tipping culture in the U.S.  And Las Vegas is locked into this race for ten years, even if it ends up not being the huge financial boom they promised.

Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2023, 12:09:52 AM »
I am living in Las Vegas right now, and I am not going anywhere near the strip this weekend.

The whole F1 thing has been a cluster.  Hotels and restaurants jacked up their prices to ridiculous amounts (e.g., $2500 minimum to eat at a restaurant with a view of the race).  Traffic is so effed up that it is taking workers on the strip 3 hours to get to work when it normally takes 20 minutes.  They cut down huge trees to put up grandstands.  Tipped employees are going to be working their asses off for less money because most of the fans are going to be non-Americans who don't understand (or care about) the tipping culture in the U.S.  And Las Vegas is locked into this race for ten years, even if it ends up not being the huge financial boom they promised.

The market for hotel rates/race tickets has plummeted in the last 48 hours. As an example, last Thursday night, a room at the Flamingo was going plus $200. Tonight you could get a room there for $35.

It was miserable in Vegas last week, and things aren’t getting much better this weekend.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 06:33:09 AM »
Hamilton to Ferrari, did not see that coming.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 10:52:25 AM »
Hamilton to Ferrari, did not see that coming.

That's a sexy way to end his time in F1.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2024, 01:17:29 PM »
Yeah, wow pretty surprised.  He and Toto always seemed to have a pretty good thing going.  I'm assuming this must be primarily about Hamilton's lack of confidence in Mercedes to adapt to the new 2026 regulations.  They have seemed a little slower on the draw than Ferrari this past round trying to catch up to Red Bull.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2024, 10:27:34 AM »
Yeah, wow pretty surprised.  He and Toto always seemed to have a pretty good thing going.  I'm assuming this must be primarily about Hamilton's lack of confidence in Mercedes to adapt to the new 2026 regulations.  They have seemed a little slower on the draw than Ferrari this past round trying to catch up to Red Bull.

Feel the same plus the teammate angle. I like Russell and think he'll be a mainstay for years but that doesn't help Hamilton to drive alongside him during Russell's learning curve at Mercedes.

On the other side, though Sainz and Leclerc seem to get on off the track it's clear to the entire world that the team had trouble delineating who was first and who was second. That lead to Ferrari looking stupid quite often.

Pairing Hamilton to Leclerc in the prestige car of the sport gives F1 the boost it needs since the Red Bull domination has already sapped the enthusiasm of the casual fan.

feedback