Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 19799 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: Kolek
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »
Panda ... u posing as DODDS ??

panda

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2021, 08:56:52 PM »
According to Dodds all he needs is a few more months of practice at the FF.

Just another one of his lazy tropes which makes him think he's some sort of expert.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2021, 09:08:26 PM »
If you had told me that we'd have a point guard that would be dishing out assists at a 5.6 apg rate (leading the Big East) while maintaining better than a 2-1 A/T ratio, I would have been thrilled.  If his current rate holds up, Tyler's season is going to wind up 7th or 8th best assist performance all-time at MU. 

I'd love for him to get back to his career average 3 point shooting. But I simply can't understand why so many people, a handful of games into his MU career, are talking about him as if he's a failed experiment that needs to be recruited over.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2021, 09:49:07 PM »
He also plays the passing lanes defensively as well as anyone on the team, while being serviceable on the ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2021, 10:01:03 PM »
If you had told me that we'd have a point guard that would be dishing out assists at a 5.6 apg rate (leading the Big East) while maintaining better than a 2-1 A/T ratio, I would have been thrilled.  If his current rate holds up, Tyler's season is going to wind up 7th or 8th best assist performance all-time at MU. 

I'd love for him to get back to his career average 3 point shooting. But I simply can't understand why so many people, a handful of games into his MU career, are talking about him as if he's a failed experiment that needs to be recruited over.

It's what fans do: Build up ... tear down.

A few weeks ago, Kolek was Travis Diener and Steve Nash. ... Now he's Derrick Wilson.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. Or perhaps even more accurately, his grade is "incomplete."

However, if you want to be a successful team in today's college basketball, usually your PG either needs to be a scoring threat or he needs to have so much shooting surrounding him that you can have a pass-only guy. Best of all, you have a PG who's a scoring threat AND you have a ton of shooting surrounding him. UCLA, already pretty darn good, is that much better now that Campbell can shoot.

I happen to think it's OK to be concerned about Kolek's poor shooting while also not determining right now that he is a failure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2021, 06:41:40 AM »
He is the PG of an 8-3 team.   He has contributed a lot.  Right now he is in a shooting slump.  He will continue to start.  He will continue to shoot.  Hopefully, he sees one go in and all of the tumblers fall back into place.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2021, 06:46:01 AM »
He is the PG of an 8-3 team.   He has contributed a lot.  Right now he is in a shooting slump.  He will continue to start.  He will continue to shoot.  Hopefully, he sees one go in and all of the tumblers fall back into place.

Yep.  Hopefully in a couple weeks this is a complete non issue.  If he gets going,  you can see that he will have a significant impact on winning games. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2021, 06:58:50 AM »
Morsell and Kolek have shown they are both capable of being really good against quality opponents.  Early in the year DM was much more under control off the dribble and let the game come to him.  He is more than capable of playing at the level we saw the first four games.

Kolek has to be able to score the ball at a reasonable clip for his entire offensive game to be effective.  He is a terrific passer, defender, and a capable shooter. This is a mental/confidence issue with his shot.  He will break out and most likely vs Xavier.

Shaka and the coaching staff must find a way to get both of these guys and our whole team higher quality shots in our half-court offense.  It's imperative and non-negotiable.  I would make a concerted effort to get Kolek and  Morsell paint attempts.  They are both capable of getting into the paint, relaxing, using proper footwork and a shot fake, and getting clean looks from 8 feet or kicking when a help defender comes.  Instead the fundamentals have been poor, they are often out of control, and the assertiveness isn't there.  It's on Shaka to fix our half-court issues on offense ASAP.  I expect will will be better on Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:53:23 AM by MuggsyB »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2021, 07:52:45 AM »
Quick open threes are better shots than well defended shots in the paint. Well defended shots are all guys have been able to get in the paint lately
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »
Quick open threes are better shots than well defended shots in the paint. Well defended shots are all guys have been able to get in the paint lately

What about undefended shots in the paint?  If memory serves, when we got it to 11 in the 2nd half, JLew took a quick three from beyond the top of the key, and the result was brick city/no chance of momentum/ game over. 

It is incumbent on Shaka and our coaching staff to get better shots for our guys in the half-court offense.  It's painful to watch and there are ways to attack the paint with both the pass and dribble.  Our spacing isn't there, our movement off the ball and screening is suspect, and we are too easy to guard and one-dimensional.   We need more balance in our offense and better shot selection.  For the most part we do not get quality shots, that's just a fact.  The coaches need to find solutions imo.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2021, 08:22:02 AM »
This thread makes my eyes bleed.   

I love this kids game... he's sharp, can see the floor, is tenacious and a hawk for the ball, and he can dish like no one MU has seen in YEARS.  Some people here seem spoiled by our over achieving start and seem to forget themselves.  Don't forget, we weren't supposed to be sitting here at the end of OOC play at 8-3.   

Kolek will get his shot square, at least to be an average shooter.  The cross court passes that worked in A10 and early season games will be tweaked as he learns a higher level of play.  All will be good.   I've seen steady improvement from literally everyone on this team except maybe Morsell, but even he has contributed so much on defense and helping the young guys learn from him that his impact is tremendous.

Everyone who's trying to bench Kolek should turn around and take a seat.  Let the professionals continue to work with this team as they know how and continue to watch this team blossom into what I believe will be a tournament caliber team by years end.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
UWW

I agree with every word on your post.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
What about undefended shots in the paint?  If memory serves, when we got it to 11 in the 2nd half, JLew took a quick three from beyond the top of the key, and the result was brick city/no chance of momentum/ game over. 

It is incumbent on Shaka and our coaching staff to get better shots for our guys in the half-court offense.  It's painful to watch and there are ways to attack the paint with both the pass and dribble.  Our spacing isn't there, our movement off the ball and screening is suspect, and we are too easy to guard and one-dimensional.   We need more balance in our offense and better shot selection.  For the most part we do not get quality shots, that's just a fact.  The coaches need to find solutions imo.

What undefended shots in the paint? UCLA smothered them and every time they tried at the hoop it was either well defended or a turnover.

Muggsy, Shaka has a system. The system is not changing. The purpose of this season is not to win, it is to establish a culture that Shaka will build upon every season so that each season is better than the last. He's not gonna scrap his system because his first team, a team that was picked second to last in conference, lost by 11 to the #4 team in the country. The more these guys play within the system, the simpler it will become to them and then they will be able to execute it more effectively. The drives will result in more open looks at the hoop, the kicks will end up in the shooting pocket more often, the next passes will be crisper, and the threes will go down more. The only thing that will cure what ails us is experience which is lengthy process, not a quick fix.

We've already seen the defense improve as the season has gone on. I believe the offense will as well.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2021, 08:43:55 AM »

I love this kids game... he's sharp, can see the floor, is tenacious and a hawk for the ball, and he can dish like no one MU has seen in YEARS.  Some people here seem spoiled by our over achieving start and seem to forget themselves.  Don't forget, we weren't supposed to be sitting here at the end of OOC play at 8-3.   

Kolek will get his shot square, at least to be an average shooter.  The cross court passes that worked in A10 and early season games will be tweaked as he learns a higher level of play.  All will be good.   I've seen steady improvement from literally everyone on this team except maybe Morsell, but even he has contributed so much on defense and helping the young guys learn from him that his impact is tremendous.

Everyone who's trying to bench Kolek should turn around and take a seat.  Let the professionals continue to work with this team as they know how and continue to watch this team blossom into what I believe will be a tournament caliber team by years end.

Amen, UWW. I'm not as high on Kolek as some of the people who were crowning him after the West Virginia, but I'm certainly nowhere near the people who have declared him a benchwarmer after UCLA.  People who think he needs to benched seem to only be interested in points and turnovers. It is very clear the value he brings to the team, even when he's not scoring. He gets his shot sorted and we have a very good floor general to work with.
TAMU

Viper

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »

Kolek won’t get his shot square with that release. It’s difficult on tv, easier in person, but try to notice how the ball comes off his hand with a side rotation. I have no doubt he’ll have decent games shooting. He had some good scoring games last season, in fact. But consistent shooting…40%?…probably not. He’s tenacious. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. 20 minutes per game guy? Yes! 30+ minutes guy? Rimming.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »

Not sure about tournament caliber at this point. However, the ONLY way we get to that level is with Kolek continuing to shoot the ball. He’s in a bad slump to be sure, but shooters break out of slumps by (wait for it) continuing to shoot. If he becomes tentative and unwilling to shoot, there isn’t going to be much suspense on selection Sunday. There is nobody else that can play his role as well as he can.

Keep your head up and keep firing away knowing that the next one is going in. That’s the attitude he needs to have and what the coaches need to instill in him for this team to be successful. I hope it happens soon.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »
Pointing out Kolek is a pretty bad offensive player right now isn’t burying the kid.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2021, 09:07:36 AM »
Pointing out Kolek is a pretty bad offensive player right now isn’t burying the kid.

Why must you continually try to pin him to the bench?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »

Well done.  100% agree

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »

I don't think many here are calling for Kolek to be benched. I think those of us whose eyes are bleeding from his shooting performance the last two weeks (2-for-26 from the floor) are just suggesting that - contrary to many opinions here - the solution isn't to keep firing up shots until they magically start falling.
Kolek does a lot of things well and he's really the team's only option at the point. He should continue to do those things. And if the staff wants to run some plays for him to get some open looks, great. But what shouldn't happen is forcing the notion that he's a "shooter" who ought to keep chucking with abandon. Get him some open looks, and if the shots start dropping, loosen the shackles. But for now, just let him focus on what he's doing well.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2021, 09:12:28 AM »

He reminds me of Travis Diener
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
He’s in a bad slump to be sure, but shooters break out of slumps by (wait for it) continuing to shoot.

I keep seeing this ... but on what are you basing the belief that Kolek is a shooter? Nothing on his college resume to date suggests that. His resume suggests he's a solid point guard with an inconsistent shot.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »
Giving Uncle Rico the Uncle Rico treatment. Nice.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
Shaka has a system. The system is not changing. The purpose of this season is not to win, it is to establish a culture that Shaka will build upon every season so that each season is better than the last. He's not gonna scrap his system because his first team, a team that was picked second to last in conference, lost by 11 to the #4 team in the country. The more these guys play within the system, the simpler it will become to them and then they will be able to execute it more effectively. The only thing that will cure what ails us is experience which is lengthy process, not a quick fix.

This, this, a thousand times this.

And this doesn't mean Shaka isn't trying to win each game as he prepares for it and coaches in it. He is a coach, and he absolutely wants to win. That's how coaches are wired.

It means he is not gonna say, "Screw the system I know works; screw everything I'm trying to build long-term; let's go away from what I know works in hopes that something different wins us this game."

Shaka is playing the long game, and if playing the long game plays a role in costing us an NCAA bid this season while getting us NCAA bids in 7 of the next 8 years, including a couple/few second-weekend (and maybe a FF?), he's willing to make that sacrifice. As a fan of Marquette hoops for 45 years, I'm willing to make that sacrifice, too.

One of the constant -- and accurate -- criticisms of Wojo was that he "didn't establish a culture." Let's let this coach, one with a proven winning formula (albeit with no NCAAT success for 8 years), establish his culture. As difficult as it might be, let's try not to react to an 11-point loss to a Final Four team by thinking we know more about this team than the coach does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2021, 09:38:00 AM »
What undefended shots in the paint? UCLA smothered them and every time they tried at the hoop it was either well defended or a turnover.

Muggsy, Shaka has a system. The system is not changing. The purpose of this season is not to win, it is to establish a culture that Shaka will build upon every season so that each season is better than the last. He's not gonna scrap his system because his first team, a team that was picked second to last in conference, lost by 11 to the #4 team in the country. The more these guys play within the system, the simpler it will become to them and then they will be able to execute it more effectively. The drives will result in more open looks at the hoop, the kicks will end up in the shooting pocket more often, the next passes will be crisper, and the threes will go down more. The only thing that will cure what ails us is experience which is lengthy process, not a quick fix.

We've already seen the defense improve as the season has gone on. I believe the offense will as well.

While I mostly agree with this assessment and have to catch my fandom from getting in the way...Shaka's system isn't just his long term system. It's changed since Texas where he had a big man half court game too.

We'd knew there is a lack of offensive talent going into the season so I need to bite my tongue as the newcomers adapt. However, going all in on Nevada Smith concepts at this point is a rough road. There has to be a deeper focus on efficiency if you don't have the talent. We are playing way too fast for this roster. Already, this offense is less efficient than Wojo's first season and is the worst going back to 2000, CTC's first year (and trending below that).

This idea that Shaka's not going to change and won't be more adaptable has me concerned. This roster is built for defense and it shows. Rough seas ahead.

feedback