[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA is #4. MU is not.  (Read 9527 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: UCLA is #4. MU is not.
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2021, 07:12:15 AM »
Brew

We cannot afford to have slow starts in any game. Tonight the guys were playing in a big time environment and they looked nervous to me. Getting ready to go to good start will happen and I hope that becomes a signature of this team. Thus far, not so much in that regard. Hopefully the cold shooting is out of their system.

If we would have made even a third of the open shots we missed it would have been a competitive game. So we only scored in the 50s; UCLA only scored in the 60s. It was a defensive game.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2021, 07:13:59 AM »
Oh, he doesn't like Wojo either, but he really hates Shaka's tone.
Hilarious. So really he’s a Badger fan
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2021, 07:17:57 AM »
He is to Shaka what ners was to Wojo.   An early adopter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
But there were 0 adjustments on JJJ. Dude just got every layup he ever wanted.

I'm not sure what the answer was. Justin is our strongest defender against that and Jacquez backed him down every time. If you double, someone knocks down the open three. I feel like that showed the talent disparity. The counter to Jacquez getting what he wanted was us making shots to keep up.

Bad Shaka: lead cut to about 10-13. No Greg On the floor. We had 2 turnovers and 2 terrible OMP
Shots. Wrong personel.

That was another where we just don't have the personnel. Greg came out because he was gassed. He needed a blow. What we really needed was someone like Kam or Kolek to join Greg in hitting shots.

Tonight showed why this team will be better in 2-3 years. Add strength, get them to shoot more consistently or add shooters, teach the skills and recruit up the talent level. At the end of the game i was more encouraged than discouraged.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2021, 08:01:28 AM »
0 adjustments by Shaka Wojohowski.

Jaquez every time. Back down, pumpfake. Bucket.

My cousin who NEVER watches basketball literally said “that junior guy just backs down every time… are they going to defend that?”
Disagree, a big adjustment we made was to stop leaving the shooters on drives and that helped a lot.  Defense was OK after the first 15 minutes or so.

My big issue with Shaka thus far is that we are team of guys who don't shoot the three well, but whose game plan is to let everybody shoot the three without probing the defense for something better.  We are poor three point shooters who compound the problem by taking low percentage threes.

I don't know how many times in our losses we have had an opportunity to get a run going and we just come down and chuck up an ill-advised three.  It is infuriating.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

connie

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
It isn't much about this year for Shaka and I would be surprised to see any adjustments other than personnel.  He is in a new program with a slap-dash roster.  I am afraid we are going to have to suffer through this brutal 3 point barrage. This year should be about style of play, and I will take 8-3 all day long--especially given the 3. Bonnies are pretty good, Badgers seem to be better than expected, and UCLA has legit thoughts of a Final Four.  We have a tenuous hope for the bubble.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2021, 08:10:36 AM »
CTWarrior

Agree on the quick bad shots has broken a couple of mini runs this season. I keep thinking about when we have guys making those shots and how that changes the game in our favor. We are going to see glimpses of the offense might eventually wow us, but until then we are going to have frustrating possessions.

I will say in the comeback games in Charleston we saw the shots drop and it was fun to see. I hope they keep chucking the threes, especially in transition and hope they are start to fall. We are not the Golden State Warriors but I think that style will do the program well for a long time.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2021, 08:13:37 AM »
1.  MU is a young team.  Without a go to scorer. The exact same team they have been.  UCLA is grown men with lots of scorers.
2.  Got beat up on the boards.   
3.  Started slow.   
4.  Imagine how bad it would have been without Greg.   
5.  The style of play isn't going to change.   Pick and roll and dribble drive.  Pressure d trying for 32 deflections.   No amount of kvetching is going to change it.
6.  I thought Shaka played too much 3 guard offense tonight.   Gave UCLA a size advantage.  See:  rebounding.   OMP at least has the length to contest some shots and rebounds.
7.  Top 5 teams sit on crosscourt passes, TK.  So will conference opponents with detailed scouting reports.
8.  Be honest. No one thought MU would win this game.  You tried to talk yourself into it and did some whistling past the graveyard, but deep in your heart you knew.
9.   I appreciate this team never stops fighting.
10. 2 games in the 50's. 
11.  Good luck on your finals, men.
thx, Cpt Obvious

Viper

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »
Stopped in for some unintentional comedy.  Scoop always delivers. 

Anyone not thrilled with 8-3 is a turd.

Lots of ups and downs coming over the next 3 months.  Amazing how shortsighted some are - hope it's a vocal minority.
really? then I’m a turd…you’re a loser.

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2021, 08:25:59 AM »
Every UCLA player was very “articulate” in kicking our ass last night.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
thx, Cpt Obvious

Uh...what?

Tower provides these summaries after every game.  Meant to spur discussion.  If you don't want to say anything, then don't.

really? then I’m a turd…you’re a loser.

Actually my hope is that you say less because this doesn't really add much to the discussion.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
thx, Cpt Obvious

Oh, the rapier like wit has chastened me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2021, 08:51:43 AM »
He is to Shaka what ners was to Wojo.   An early adopter.
Yeah, except I don't think ners dislike was based on racial animosity.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
Best thing about this game was Greg showing his value.

Love Shaka. Trust Shaka. But if we are gonna have a run and gun offense

Let’s play the 1 guy that can…..gun
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »
Best thing about this game was Greg showing his value.

Love Shaka. Trust Shaka. But if we are gonna have a run and gun offense

Let’s play the 1 guy that can…..gun

Just remember that he was suspended for a reason.  My guess is that he has had to re-earn Shaka's trust.  Hopefully all will be well moving forward.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »
Second worst offense in the Big East. We can talk about talent and process all we want, but I am not a fan of this offense. At 14 seconds per possession, that leaves about 7-10 seconds to run the half court offense. That is  like one pass. The shot quality, rebounding and turnovers folks are complaining about are just symptoms of this scheme.

Compare that with Nova who also  runs a four out, and they are one of the most deliberate in the country. Now, granted their talent is better, but MU's offense has been wholly inefficient. We haven't even played  one good game yet.

I hope it comes but adjustments need to be made imo.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »
Dr. B

I agree completely that we have yet to play a good game and the offense looks horrible. We have not had a ton spurts of very good ball, let alone a whole game. Adjustments need to be made or the ball has to go in the hoop. As for talent, there are enough basketball players to have a better product on the court. It starts and ends with making a basket, closely followed by rebounding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »

I agree completely that we have yet to play a good game and the offense looks horrible. We have not had a ton spurts of very good ball, let alone a whole game. Adjustments need to be made or the ball has to go in the hoop. As for talent, there are enough basketball players to have a better product on the court. It starts and ends with making a basket, closely followed by rebounding.

Actually Goose, based on what you've said here, it sounds like you really think it starts and ends with better coaching.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2021, 10:02:53 AM »

Better coaching has us at 8-3. The level of play has been spotty, yet they have found ways to win. Actually, I think it comes down to guys making a fxxkin wide open shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »

Better coaching has us at 8-3. The level of play has been spotty, yet they have found ways to win. Actually, I think it comes down to guys making a fxxkin wide open shot.

Hmm.

If the "adjustments" that you said need to be made means players have to adjust shots going into the hoop ... well, we're simply not a good-shooting team, so here's hoping Shaka can make some magic some other ways.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2021, 10:42:10 AM »
If this was really the offense shaka wanted to run, I just can't figure out why another shooter was not brought in. Lots of transfers available this year. Still like Morsell, Kuath for defense but he desperately needed a shooter based on this offense

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »
Please list the proven shooters trying to get to MU that Shaka rejected.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2021, 10:54:31 AM »

absolutely no idea, I don't follow recruiting as much as all of you. The transfer market was massive, and with the fact of how this team is shooting, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too tough. I question where someone like O-Max fits in. I also realize that perhaps they thought Kolek would be the shooter and it has not panned out

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »

This isn't how recruiting works.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »
I know.

feedback