[December 06, 2021, 04:53:30 PM]

2021-22 Big East Conference Results by tower912
[December 06, 2021, 04:20:07 PM]

NM by Fluffy Blue Monster
[December 06, 2021, 03:54:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 12/14/2020 by Nukem2
[December 06, 2021, 03:32:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: @ Kansas State

Marquette
Marquette @

Kansas St.

Date/Time: Dec 8, 2021, 8:00pm
TV: ESPN2
Schedule for 2021-22
Wisconsin

Author Topic: Kolek or Carton?  (Read 1889 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Kolek or Carton?
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2021, 10:11:08 AM »
I see where you’re going here, and I can see both sides.

However, more circumstantial evidence here but I think you’re missing a big smoking gun- Tyler Kolek and a push for Darryl Morsell.

I know some might think it’s crazy that DJC would leave because Tyler came in, but I don’t think it’s that far fetched.

April 14th/15th Shaka announced all those new signings, and Kolek was a big one. Two weeks later, DJ was gone.

That two week period where Shaka bunkered up and recruited his tail off is an amazing point in MUbb history now that we see what we have.

He did things so differently- there was the famous photo of him on the phone outside the Al- there were no leaks, no one on the outside had any idea what he was up to. He just worked tirelessly and pretty much put this current team together in those two weeks. Darryl was left to get, but Shaka was still working on coach Haynes (if memory serves) and obviously hopeful that Morsell would be the final piece.

I think that Shaka going and getting Tyler, along with his hope on bringing in Darryl, likely told DJC that he wouldn’t be the only alpha at the point and that time would be split.

In the same breath I think Shaka recruited Kur and OMax knowing Dawson was likely out the door. May not have been official but it’s almost as if he made the decision that whoever was committed would stay, but that he had to recruit to fill the needs before the options became limited.

He moved quickly and stealthily, he moved efficiently and fantastically.
And here we are

All last year, we heard DJ was one and done at Marquette.  And he was.

I suppose we can do the scoop thing and wildly speculate.

Maybe I’m really stupid but him staying in the draft and not transferring again seems like solid evidence what we heard all last year was probably true.

Or maybe Shaka told him the A-10 ROY was better and he’d struggle for PT.  Yes, that seems more likely
Tis a shame, 'tis a rotton shame, for if ye can enjoy the walkin’ ye can probably enjoy the other times in yer life when ve're in between. And that's most o' the time; wouldn't ye say?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »
Retire already so the rest of us can make some money!

Never baby! When ga gotta it, ya got it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DoctorV

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »

Maybe I’m really stupid but him staying in the draft and not transferring again seems like solid evidence what we heard all last year was probably true.

Or maybe Shaka told him the A-10 ROY was better and he’d struggle for PT.  Yes, that seems more likely

You’re not stupid, you seem pretty smart!

I never said that second part though.
I moreso meant maybe DJ saw the writing in the wall that he wouldn’t get 35 mpg of pg play.

Otherwise, perhaps all those tweets loving the shaka cop by the university were just Carton caring about the future of Marquette, since he knew he was going the pro route the entire time!

Or maybe kid just doesn’t really know what he wants until shortly before he makes a decision. Millenials or GenZers I tell ya…

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
You know, it's entirely possible, if not likely, that DJ's decision to turn pro had nothing to do with Shaka. Maybe his family needed money. Maybe he didn't like college. Maybe he believed he would develop better and improve his long-term prospects as a full-time professional player.

Well, he ain't makin' stink, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »
He’s making more than shutting up and dribbling in Milwaukee, aina
Tis a shame, 'tis a rotton shame, for if ye can enjoy the walkin’ ye can probably enjoy the other times in yer life when ve're in between. And that's most o' the time; wouldn't ye say?

TAMU Eagle

• All American
  • Shaka don't make mistakes. Just happy lil commits
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
Wrong.  By a lot. 

You could say DJ is a better athlete, by a lot, but that's about it.

We can agree to disagree. Carton will get a cup of coffee in the NBA, I'd be surprised if Kolek does but would certainly be happy to be wrong.

BTW better at basketball doesn't necessarily mean better for this year's team
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

~Prayer of the Scooper