Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Floor Slap  (Read 12138 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Floor Slap
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »
Nah, just Wojo. Unsurprising inflated sense of self-worth, though.

The Marquette basketball program didn’t owe you a thing while you went to school there
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
He singlehandedly ruined the basketball product for the duration of my college attendance.  I doubt most of you can say the same.

It really must have been a private hell for you when Marquette beat the top-ranked defending champions. Or beat Wisconsin 4x. Or when Sam hit that shot at Creighton, the highlight of the team winning 20 out of 22 games over 3 months.

Or maybe you were already rooting for Marquette to lose during all of those times, so those really were hellish experiences for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2021, 02:37:03 PM »
The Marquette basketball program didn’t owe you a thing while you went to school there
I never said that they did.  I just said the he ruined it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »
Fluffy, you aren't wrong.  But Joe Nethen was just so damn entertaining.

Oh he was great at post-game parties.  I'll give him that.  Get a bunch of beer in him, and he'd do anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2021, 02:39:48 PM »
It really must have been a private hell for you when Marquette beat the top-ranked defending champions. Or beat Wisconsin 4x. Or when Sam hit that shot at Creighton, the highlight of the team winning 20 out of 22 games over 3 months.

Or maybe you were already rooting for Marquette to lose during all of those times, so those really were hellish experiences for you.
It was actually a private hell winning 0 tournament games in 7 years, 0 regular season Big East titles, being entirely non-competitive in the Big East tournament, and attending games in a defeated, uninspired student section.  Even the "good wins" weren't that good because even the students with a half a brain could see the program was, ultimately, going nowhere.  So nobody cared.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2021, 02:42:15 PM »
It was actually a private hell winning 0 tournament games in 7 years, 0 regular season Big East titles, being entirely non-competitive in the Big East tournament, and attending games in a defeated, uninspired student section.  Even the "good wins" weren't that good because even the students with a half a brain could see the program was, ultimately, going nowhere.  So nobody cared.

If that’s your private hell, you live a pretty spoiled life

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2021, 02:43:02 PM »

The Wojo years sucked....you can pull all the highlights...but they sucked.  There is no other way to look at it. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
Al McGuire already rolled over in his grave watching Wojo's product.  If he's rolling over again, he's rolling back over.

I think this is the first time you've been funny. Well done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »

Now that you mention it, I do remember how "defeated" the student section was when we beat Nova. My ears were ringing for quite some time from that sound of defeat. Clearly "nobody cared."

And you must have been outraged that Marquette replaced a coach who won 0 tournament games in 7 years with a coach who won 0 tournament games in 8 years!

The Wojo years sucked....you can pull all the highlights...but they sucked.  There is no other way to look at it. 

I have the ability to enjoy highlights. I'm sorry that you don't.

We can agree that it's great Wojo is gone, though. Shaka is a better coach, and he certainly has breathed life back into the program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
Now that you mention it, I do remember how "defeated" the student section was when we beat Nova. My ears were ringing for quite some time from that sound of defeat. Clearly "nobody cared."

And you must have been outraged that Marquette replaced a coach who won 0 tournament games in 7 years with a coach who won 0 tournament games in 8 years!

I have the ability to enjoy highlights. I'm sorry that you don't.

We can agree that it's great Wojo is gone, though. Shaka is a better coach, and he certainly has breathed life back into the program.
My god you're insufferable.  The point is, Wojo and his basketball product sucked, buddy.  That's consensus.

Whatever new strawman you want to come up with is merely in your head.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »

Exactly.  People saying that Wojo ruined the basketball product have no historical sense of perspective.  (Which is why I don't devote any time to reading the Bitcher's posts.)

I witnessed a starting lineup that included Joe Nethen and Tony Candalino.  I would rather live through more seasons of Wojo than ever having to experience THAT again.

In the context of wailing and gnashing of teeth over ugly wins over SEIU and UNH, imagine if you dare a season that featured losses to:
  • Tennessee (by 26)
  • Wisconsin
  • Minnesota (by 24)
  • Cleveland State
  • Kansas State (by 21)
  • Loyola Marymount
  • Notre Dame (twice...by 18 and 22)
  • Iona (by 15)
  • Dayton
  • DePaul (twice...by 15 and 12)
  • Fordham (by 20)
  • Loyola Chicago
  • Evansville
  • Virginia Tech (by 18)
  • Valparaiso
  • Creighton

Not to worry, these were offset by impressive wins over the likes of Hartford, Western Michigan, Air Force, Stetson, and Canisius.

No question that Wojo sucked, but he was no Bob Dukiet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:52:12 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »
So are we all wearing suits to games now or what?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
So are we all wearing suits to games now or what?

I think fans should wear suits to games, tbh.  The fact that we don’t is why the Soviets are beating us

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2021, 02:57:51 PM »
You say to those who attended during the Dukiet years.
^^
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2021, 02:59:42 PM »
What a whiney bitch
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »
I think fans should wear suits to games, tbh.

I agree. Black or grey suits with thin black ties. And fedoras. And only allow themselves to be photographed in black and white.

Oh, and it probably goes without saying, but no women.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
What a whiney bitch
I have a set of expectations higher than others.  I suppose that makes me whiney.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »
Who else remembers Rod Strickland laughing in Anthony Candelino's face because AC was trying to guard him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »
In the context of wailing and gnashing of teeth over ugly wins over SEIU and UNH, imagine if you dare a season that featured losses to:
  • Tennessee (by 26)
  • Wisconsin
  • Minnesota (by 24)
  • Cleveland State
  • Kansas State (by 21)
  • Loyola Marymount
  • Notre Dame (twice...by 18 and 22)
  • Iona (by 15)
  • Dayton
  • DePaul (twice...by 15 and 12)
  • Fordham (by 20)
  • Loyola Chicago
  • Evansville
  • Virginia Tech (by 18)
  • Valparaiso
  • Creighton

Not to worry, these were offset by impressive wins over the likes of Hartford, Western Michigan, Air Force, Stetson, and Canisius.

No question that Wojo sucked, but he was no Bob Dukiet.

Gotta love this paragraph:

"Distractions came from multiple directions. One of Marquette's recruits, Gerald Posey, a 6-foot 1-inch freshman, failed to meet the NCAA Proposition 48 requirements and wasn't allowed on the court. Posey was regarded as one of the top 75 high school players in the country. Soon after that, Michael Flory, decided he would redshirt the season. Flory said he needed to concentrate on his academics. Sophomore John Ellenson and freshman Rod Grosse both had conflicts with Dukiet. Michael Sims was arrested on battery charges (which were later dismissed). The charges caused him to miss one game and his missing the team plane for the Stetson game caused him to miss another. Meanwhile senior Tony Reeder was sidelined after he was injured in a car accident Dec. 30. Reeder suffered a fractured rib and a strained shoulder in the accident. Shortly after that he was declared academically ineligible. Another classroom casualty was freshman Joe Nethen, who was declared academically ineligible after the first semester classes."

What a f*cking trainwreck the Dukiet era was.  Really the sole bright spot was Tony Smith, who should receive a special award for simply being a part of that mess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
Who else remembers Rod Strickland laughing in Anthony Candelino's face because AC was trying to guard him?

Yep.  We were all laughing to be honest.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »
My god you're insufferable.  The point is, Wojo and his basketball product sucked, buddy.  That's consensus.

Yes, I'm the "insufferable" one who brings up a former coach 100 times in threads that have absolutely nothing to do with that coach.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
In hindsight, Pat Foley had a heroic senior year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
I agree. Black or grey suits with thin black ties. And fedoras. And only allow themselves to be photographed in black and white.

Oh, and it probably goes without saying, but no women.

Nothing ruins a night at the ball game when women are around.  Man, I miss Eisenhower

fjm

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2021, 03:05:50 PM »

Dude man bruh. You bringing Wojo into every topic is insufferable. Chill boomer, get over him. Not every topic needs to be about him.

You sound like the person who is always upset about their ex but never let’s it go… and actually you were the problem.

And I like most of your takes. But it’s gotten weird…

There’s another topic where you bring him up and say “don’t say his name!!!” And then a few posts later you say his name and then talk about him extensively. Sheeeeesh.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »

And you are playing the "poor me" card. You whine way more than people here who lived thru Deane & Dukiet.