[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Hoops Resurgence is Coming  (Read 5933 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: MU Hoops Resurgence is Coming
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
I know in my heart and brain that it is fools' errand to put too much emphasis on two games in November, but I am really excited to see a Marquette team that flat out competes.  If this is the new normal, it will be fun to be an MU fan again.  Mostly, it is nice to really look forward to the next game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
Not only do we look lightyears better than last year, but I genuinely believe we look better than any Wojo team throughout his entire tenure.  It would be worth a debate compared against the 2018 team, but that team turned out to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

I'm excited too, but we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. We looked good the last two games but I'm not ready to declare us worldbeaters yet.

Extensively long rebuilds (3+ years) are not normal in college basketball.  Good coaches can get it going nearly right away given the correct backdrop.  It's not about personnel.  It's about culture.

They are absolutely the norm in college basketball. Most new coaches take 3-5 years before stringing together multiple NCAAT appearances (when taking over a team in need of a rebuild). Hell, Shaka didn't string together multiple postseason (note, not NCAAT but postseason) appearances until years 3-4 at Texas and technically never had consecutive NCAAT appearances in his 6 years at Texas (but would have had them in years 5-6 if not for Covid). And it's questionable if Texas was actually in need of a rebuild when Shaka took over.

That being said, it may not be the norm moving forward. Insta-transfers have changed the landscape considerably and I think will speed up the rebuilding process for good coaches.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »
I was really impressed last night. They had to win a different way, and pulled it off. Adjusted really well to the zone after a tough first half.

I love how they've now played three close games, and for the most part have not played tight down the stretch. That's huge for a youngish team.

Just keep competing and I'll be happy. The last two wins are a really nice surprise.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
I'm excited too, but we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. We looked good the last two games but I'm not ready to declare us worldbeaters yet.

We're not a clinic team, we're a JYD team.  I'm expecting to blow anyone out, but I am expecting to turn every game into a rock fight and compete.  I wouldn't take us -20 vs. Jackson State but I do expect us to cover vs. West Va. 

Also, I'll push back on the "when he gets talent in here".  IMO the talent is here, it may not be refined, but its here.  I don't see a bunch of Henry's, Maskus's and Joey's walking through the door.  I expect more guys like Sean Jones and Chase Ross who buy in and compete.  This is a culture thing. 

To paraphrase a wise man on twitter:

"This ain't win every day, this is win every game"   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
Yes, I haven't had this much fun cheering for Marquette since Vander Blue and the 2010 teams.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
I think it’s fair to say that many of projos had abandoned ship by late last season but thought the administration would give Wojo another year because of $$$. There were also several who thought Wojo should be retained to keep the roster intact and avoid a total rebuild (which they felt would have been disastrous). We’ll, here we are in year one of the total rebuild and we look light years better than we did last year when we had a McDonald’s AA, a top 40 PG, a highly sought after transfer, a two year starter and our all time shot blocker in the starting lineup. Coaches matta.

Thanks to the new transfer rules, it's a lot easier to rebuild.  Four starters transferred out, four starters transferred in.

A roster can be turned over pretty quickly in one offseason.  Not just from a talent perspective, but also for system and culture fit.

I'm expecting Shaka to be active in the transfer portal next season, too.  Need a couple starters to replace Morsell and Kuath.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
I think it’s fair to say that many of projos had abandoned ship by late last season but thought the administration would give Wojo another year because of $$$. There were also several who thought Wojo should be retained to keep the roster intact and avoid a total rebuild (which they felt would have been disastrous). We’ll, here we are in year one of the total rebuild and we look light years better than we did last year when we had a McDonald’s AA, a top 40 PG, a highly sought after transfer, a two year starter and our all time shot blocker in the starting lineup. Coaches matta.

I was certainly thinking that way at the end of last season (though I wouldn't have called myself a projo). The season and excitement thus far affirm the choice made, and I'm excited as all get out about it,

And, I wish that McD's AA (Garcia) and that highly sought after transfer (Carton) were still here. I'd love to see how they would be doing within Shaka's system. I feel confident they'd be performing at the same level or beyond of our current guys.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
Juan

IMO, the free agency market is going to play a major role in the MU program moving forward. I am looking forward to that time of year far more than the traditional recruiting process. The game keeps changing and I believe MU is well situated to win the transfer recruiting season. Recruiting experienced guys that fit his system is key for real success.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:13 AM »
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
I find a lot a similarities between us a the 2020 Chris Paul Thunder. This is mainly because of how people were doubting us and thought we were gonna be at the bottom of the standings. I don't think we'll be top 3, but I think we can definitely surprise people and make a deep Big East Championship run. This team is made for MSG, I can feel it.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
We're not a clinic team, we're a JYD team.  I'm expecting to blow anyone out, but I am expecting to turn every game into a rock fight and compete.  I wouldn't take us -20 vs. Jackson State but I do expect us to cover vs. West Va. 

I agree, but still hold that we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. That wasn't winning a rock fight, that was surviving a rock fight. Illinois and Ole Miss were us winning rock fights.

Also, I'll push back on the "when he gets talent in here".  IMO the talent is here, it may not be refined, but its here.  I don't see a bunch of Henry's, Maskus's and Joey's walking through the door.  I expect more guys like Sean Jones and Chase Ross who buy in and compete.  This is a culture thing. 

To be fair, this is what I said

just imagine what he can do when he gets more talent and more experience into his roster.

I didn't say there wasn't talent, just imagine what it will be like when he gets more of it and gets the talent more experience.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
Yes, I haven't had this much fun cheering for Marquette since Vander Blue and the 2010 teams.

I haven’t really cheered for a team since 1977 until last night
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.