[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Hoops Resurgence is Coming  (Read 5931 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
MU Hoops Resurgence is Coming
« on: November 18, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
Enormous win.  Maybe even more impressive than Mon night.  Because Ole Miss played well and didn't kick the ball away like Illinois.  I'm not saying we won't have ups and downs, or we're an NCAA tournament team, but I have already put the last 7 years to pasture.  This team has grit, they are building an identity, and there is tremendous promise on this roster.  This team is fun, exciting to watch, and you can slowly see the cohesion building.  Again, I still look at this as a transition year, but the needle is starting to move towards bringing this program back to the promised land. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 08:11:42 PM by MuggsyB »

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: MU Hoops Resurgence is Coming
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »
Correct. Both Shaka and our program had egregiously horrific fits with each former program and coach, respectively.

We will be a surprise to many this year. And moving forward.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
Agree, Muggsy.

Some big wins already, and we will likely have frustrating losses. But the foundation of a strong program is being built, and the future is bright. And the journey will be exciting.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »
The right guy was hired at the right time. I said in April that Shaka would be judged from day one by me and there is no five year grace period. He is top tier coach, with over a decade of success, and the resurgence needs to build every month.

I am going to say it again, this is the team that will be remembered for being the rebirth of MU basketball. I already have a soft spot for these guys and we are four games into the season.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »
This may be your best post yet on Scoop Muggsy. Spot on!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »
I feel like this team, unlike previous years, has an identity: team defense.  Hard not to love the energy and toughness.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 08:39:48 PM »
The right guy was hired at the right time. I said in April that Shaka would be judged from day one by me and there is no five year grace period. He is top tier coach, with over a decade of success, and the resurgence needs to build every month.

I am going to say it again, this is the team that will be remembered for being the rebirth of MU basketball. I already have a soft spot for these guys and we are four games into the season.

You said it in April to me about your excitement. I was excited too, but admit you had more confidence on the present season.

Hell of a start for sure. I'm so very excited about the future and present. This team is a lot of fun and the culture coming from up top is gonna make this program reach the levels we expect.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »

I'm with you Goose.  This team has a lot of exciting pieces.  And Morsell continues to impress me.  I think we got the overall best transfer in the country.  But what was really fun tonight was Jones breaking out.  He has that gear downhill we have coveted for quite some time.  Again, we have holes.  We will certainly have some ups and downs but I truly think this is beginning of a cosmic shift for the program. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:16:18 PM by MuggsyB »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 08:46:00 PM »
Our fanbase is hungry. It's clear from Monday and the traveling crew today. Love seeing it again.No more zombies waiting for the other shoe to drop--back to rabid already
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »
In 1993 (4) ? When MU made the dance under KO ... they had T shirts that said
( on the back )

... “ WE’RE BACK “ ...

That’s how I feel.   It’s early... but 4/0..
Playing D like the old days ( Buzz ...
KO .. etc )... talent is there ...

Shaka has confidence and it spreads to the team.

I want to be the first to say it ...

MU will make the NCAA. This. Year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »

Pretty sure you weren't the first ... but I still love the confidence and optimism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 08:48:43 PM »
In 1993 (4) ? When MU made the dance under KO ... they had T shirts that said
( on the back )

... “ WE’RE BACK “ ...

That’s how I feel.   It’s early... but 4/0..
Playing D like the old days ( Buzz ...
KO .. etc )... talent is there ...

Shaka has confidence and it spreads to the team.

I love the enthusiasm but you aren’t the first to say it.

We are winning a tournament game this year.

F**k 5 years to judge. College basketball is about having leadership, grit, and an identity and we finally have all 3.

Several teams in the Big East will have major trouble with us.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 08:49:12 PM »
MU8891

The bar is much higher for what Shaka can do with this program than the KO era. Being back is making S16 or higher. Dream big and good things can happen.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 08:52:43 PM »
Enormous win.  Maybe even more impressive than Mon night.  Because Ole Miss played well and didn't kick the ball away like Illinois.  I'm not saying we won't have ups and downs, or we're an NCAA tournament team, but I have already put the last 7 years to pasture.  This team has g they are building an identity, and there is tremendous promise on this roster.  This team is fun, exciting to watch, and you can slowly see the cohesion building.  Again, I still look at this as a transition year, but the needle is starting to move towards bringing this program back to the promised land.
I have liked this team since Shaka put it together. Grit wins a lot of games.

My belief continues to be we will be fighting hard for that 3rd spot in the Big East after Nova and U Conn.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »
This is so much more fun to watch. Last year, I felt often that I was hate watching Marquette. Like it was a task I had to perform, knowing that my cheering would go unanswered and the problems we all saw would never be corrected.

It's wonderful to truly love watching Marquette again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 08:59:08 PM »
Brew

Last year I was watching Bosch when MU was playing and I did not care about the games. March 26, 2021 changed everything for me and I am pissed I am not in Charleston. I am going to enjoy every step of the journey, even the tough days.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »
This is so much more fun to watch. Last year, I felt often that I was hate watching Marquette. Like it was a task I had to perform, knowing that my cheering would go unanswered and the problems we all saw would never be corrected.

I felt the exact same way last year. I still can't believe there were people who were willing to give Wojo more time.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 09:00:44 PM »

+100

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
I felt the exact same way last year. I still can't believe there were people who were willing to give Wojo more time.
Don’t even say his name. We need to purge him from the history books.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
pitcher hasnt been this happy since 2013

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »
Correct

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 09:05:41 PM »

100% How about it, Brew?!!

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 09:06:32 PM »
Goose

I agree the bar is higher... but let’s win games and make the NCAA ... and go from there

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 09:06:41 PM »
Don’t even say his name. We need to purge him from the history books.

Harsh. The guy tried the best he could and knew how, and was a gentleman about it in the process.

It didn’t pan out, and now we have an even better man and definitely a better coach at the helm.

Just because someone fails at a specific coaching gig doesn’t mean that he should be treated disrespectfully, especially when he was respectful.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
Harsh. The guy tried the best he could and knew how, and was a gentleman about it in the process.

It didn’t pan out, and now we have an even better man and definitely a better coach at the helm.

Just because someone fails at a specific coaching gig doesn’t mean that he should be treated disrespectfully, especially when he was respectful.
We paid him the yearly GDP of a small country to entirely tank our program.

I could give a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit about being respectful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »

Goose

As you know I was all in on Shaka too. That said, I confess I’m a little stunned that he has them playing so fearlessly so quickly. A very happy tip of the cap to you, Herman and anyone else who predicted it!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
The excitement and hope is there. I can't explain it but the long-term anxiety is starting to dissipate.  I'm a pretty anxious person so during the course of the games I'm always going to be crazy high and low.
But it's that feeling of futility about our program, because of a number of things, that all of us had to deal with for far, far, too long.  I couldn't be more pleased to watch these guys grow and it's a lot of fun to think about the future.  The frustration was at a Defcon 1 level under the last regime.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:13:54 PM by MuggsyB »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 09:12:32 PM »
We paid him the yearly GDP of a small country to entirely tank our program.

I could give a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit about being respectful.

1- You didn’t pay a dime.
2- He didn’t entirely tank the program
3- It’s obvious you don’t care about being respectful

Anyway, Shaka was an amazing hire.
Love his insights, just seems like a great guy on top of a helluva coach.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 09:24:46 PM »
Approaching this year, I was so GD happy to be rid of Wojo, I was psyched.
Our start is better than I expected, and the play has been so ugly I've said at times "We don't deserve this one." But of course I'll take the W's.
What I like overall is the old junkyard dog mentality. Defense is basic, and these guys seem to be embracing it. Still a lot of unattended opponents in the corners making 3's - need to attend to that chink in the armor. But good D is key - reminds me of Al, and somewhat of Buzz.
Bottom line is that the kids seem to be attuned to what Shaka is preaching, they play hard (which is really more important than almost anything), and so far, so good. I certainly hope that Shaka can maintain this level of involvement through March.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 10:08:47 PM »
Lots of words written. We won albecause we beat the chyt out of the other team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2021, 12:45:30 AM »
I am a long way from being convinced that we are a tournament team this season...but I'm very confident we hired the right coach. He's got his guys punching way above their weight level. If that continues, just imagine what he can do when he gets more talent and more experience into his roster.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2021, 12:47:40 AM »

By the end, I don't think there was anyone on this board that was willing to give him more time, just a population who accepted the reality that the school was not going to pay the buyout due to a number of converging issues. Fortunately, we were bailed out by some big $$$ and the right hire was made.
TAMU

sfmu22

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
By the end, I don't think there was anyone on this board that was willing to give him more time, just a population who accepted the reality that the school was not going to pay the buyout due to a number of converging issues. Fortunately, we were bailed out by some big $$$ and the right hire was made.

+1000, I was relieved and excited by the coaching change, but I didn’t see it happening.

Also even though wojo sucked at the coaching part of his job (head coach) he was definitely a successful recruiter.  Both he and his players represented our university with complete class of character their entire careers here.  We were able to witness Markus Howard, I hope nobody forgets how ridiculous watching him was, it was special.

All that being said, I’m beyond glad about this program/coaching change.  This team sprints all game and plays like they need to win.  An unbiased observer at a bar could never accuse this team of being soft.  This team is super young, theoretically they should improve.  They have done better than I expected for sure.  Our team looks like the toughest team on the floor again which hasn’t happened since Buzz.

Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure in the Illinois post game press conference Shaka said “we’re probably not going to win every game.”  He’s saying there’s a chance we do, get hyped. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:55 AM »
Lenny

No tip of the cap is needed. I know how excited you were excited  about the hire on day one and you still felt the same way when we had dinner in August. My biggest reason for optimism for this season was the Shaka Factor. IMO he had a helluva of prove from day one and he has not let me down.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2021, 04:02:03 AM »
And there was a bunch of them. Funny how times change.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2021, 04:30:00 AM »
TAMU

This year is about overachieving and building a foundation and they are off to a great start. If things go as planned, this will be the worst team of the Shaka era in regards to talent level. There is zero doubt that he will get the right guys to play for him.

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2021, 06:21:09 AM »

Maybe not so much here but the other board, twitter verse and “real life” all had a good amount of Wojo apologists.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 06:28:22 AM »
Goose's enthusiasm finally caught up to me!

Let's beat West Virginia tonight!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:58 AM »

https://youtu.be/gXDSxgDUv-c

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2021, 06:42:28 AM »
Shaka quote from JS...been waiting a long time to have a coach that could successfully make in-game adjustments.

"One of the things you do to prepare is you play against your scout team. We talked to the guys, like, hey it's going to be a little fast than the scout team runs it. Ole Miss did a heck of a job getting downhill and we got confused on who had the roll man a couple times. I told the guys in the locker room, one of the best things we did tonight is when we made that adjustment we never gave that up again and that was huge in defending them."

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2021, 07:00:24 AM »
Shaka quote from JS...been waiting a long time to have a coach that could successfully make in-game adjustments.

"One of the things you do to prepare is you play against your scout team. We talked to the guys, like, hey it's going to be a little fast than the scout team runs it. Ole Miss did a heck of a job getting downhill and we got confused on who had the roll man a couple times. I told the guys in the locker room, one of the best things we did tonight is when we made that adjustment we never gave that up again and that was huge in defending them."

Completely agree.  Half time adjustments in all our games have made us the more prepared team in second halves.  Very refreshing.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2021, 07:27:40 AM »
We just need to get this dude some fresh fits.  An oversized polo with a long sleeves underneath, untucked half way down to his knees.  🤢

And yes, this is the ONLY issue I have with Shaka, so life is pretty good.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »
We just need to get this dude some fresh fits.  An oversized polo with a long sleeves underneath, untucked half way down to his knees.  🤢

And yes, this is the ONLY issue I have with Shaka, so life is pretty good.
Better than the last guy who dressed like he was going to a funeral plus a gold tie.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2021, 07:31:55 AM »

Wow, it wasn’t orange slices and a “keep doing what you’re doing” speech?

Amazing what happens when a coach….coaches
Bring back FFP!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2021, 07:34:15 AM »
reinko

I told my son that I am going to start dressing like Shaka for work. He looks comfortable, but more importantly, relatable to young basketball players. Plus, he rocks the Jordan’s.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
I am a long way from being convinced that we are a tournament team this season...but I'm very confident we hired the right coach. He's got his guys punching way above their weight level. If that continues, just imagine what he can do when he gets more talent and more experience into his roster.

I agree, we're not there yet.  We will have some dud games and are playing very stiff competition.  Electric guards are going to cause us problems and we need to get more fron the SF position.  This team is crazy young so do you have to expect some inconsistency.  I will say though that if we find a solid 3rd scorer, and clean up the defensive glass. we can battle with most teams.  I also think Lewis' defense is a major key.  He has a ton of responsibility but he has to be really good on both ends of the floor vs tbe elite teams.  His defense is as important as his offense imo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2021, 08:18:20 AM »
reinko

I told my son that I am going to start dressing like Shaka for work. He looks comfortable, but more importantly, relatable to young basketball players. Plus, he rocks the Jordan’s.

Agreed.  The dude is working the sidelines just as hard as the players are working on the court.  He'd Cooley his pants every game if he was tucking in the shirt and buttoning up everything.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »

I think it’s fair to say that many of projos had abandoned ship by late last season but thought the administration would give Wojo another year because of $$$. There were also several who thought Wojo should be retained to keep the roster intact and avoid a total rebuild (which they felt would have been disastrous). We’ll, here we are in year one of the total rebuild and we look light years better than we did last year when we had a McDonald’s AA, a top 40 PG, a highly sought after transfer, a two year starter and our all time shot blocker in the starting lineup. Coaches matta.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »
Not only do we look lightyears better than last year, but I genuinely believe we look better than any Wojo team throughout his entire tenure.  It would be worth a debate compared against the 2018 team, but that team turned out to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

Extensively long rebuilds (3+ years) are not normal in college basketball.  Good coaches can get it going nearly right away given the correct backdrop.  It's not about personnel.  It's about culture.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
Watching his team compete (or really not compete) game after game, he probably felt he was going to a funeral.

Better than the last guy who dressed like he was going to a funeral plus a gold tie.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
I know in my heart and brain that it is fools' errand to put too much emphasis on two games in November, but I am really excited to see a Marquette team that flat out competes.  If this is the new normal, it will be fun to be an MU fan again.  Mostly, it is nice to really look forward to the next game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
Not only do we look lightyears better than last year, but I genuinely believe we look better than any Wojo team throughout his entire tenure.  It would be worth a debate compared against the 2018 team, but that team turned out to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

I'm excited too, but we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. We looked good the last two games but I'm not ready to declare us worldbeaters yet.

Extensively long rebuilds (3+ years) are not normal in college basketball.  Good coaches can get it going nearly right away given the correct backdrop.  It's not about personnel.  It's about culture.

They are absolutely the norm in college basketball. Most new coaches take 3-5 years before stringing together multiple NCAAT appearances (when taking over a team in need of a rebuild). Hell, Shaka didn't string together multiple postseason (note, not NCAAT but postseason) appearances until years 3-4 at Texas and technically never had consecutive NCAAT appearances in his 6 years at Texas (but would have had them in years 5-6 if not for Covid). And it's questionable if Texas was actually in need of a rebuild when Shaka took over.

That being said, it may not be the norm moving forward. Insta-transfers have changed the landscape considerably and I think will speed up the rebuilding process for good coaches.
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »
I was really impressed last night. They had to win a different way, and pulled it off. Adjusted really well to the zone after a tough first half.

I love how they've now played three close games, and for the most part have not played tight down the stretch. That's huge for a youngish team.

Just keep competing and I'll be happy. The last two wins are a really nice surprise.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
I'm excited too, but we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. We looked good the last two games but I'm not ready to declare us worldbeaters yet.

We're not a clinic team, we're a JYD team.  I'm expecting to blow anyone out, but I am expecting to turn every game into a rock fight and compete.  I wouldn't take us -20 vs. Jackson State but I do expect us to cover vs. West Va. 

Also, I'll push back on the "when he gets talent in here".  IMO the talent is here, it may not be refined, but its here.  I don't see a bunch of Henry's, Maskus's and Joey's walking through the door.  I expect more guys like Sean Jones and Chase Ross who buy in and compete.  This is a culture thing. 

To paraphrase a wise man on twitter:

"This ain't win every day, this is win every game"   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
Yes, I haven't had this much fun cheering for Marquette since Vander Blue and the 2010 teams.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
I think it’s fair to say that many of projos had abandoned ship by late last season but thought the administration would give Wojo another year because of $$$. There were also several who thought Wojo should be retained to keep the roster intact and avoid a total rebuild (which they felt would have been disastrous). We’ll, here we are in year one of the total rebuild and we look light years better than we did last year when we had a McDonald’s AA, a top 40 PG, a highly sought after transfer, a two year starter and our all time shot blocker in the starting lineup. Coaches matta.

Thanks to the new transfer rules, it's a lot easier to rebuild.  Four starters transferred out, four starters transferred in.

A roster can be turned over pretty quickly in one offseason.  Not just from a talent perspective, but also for system and culture fit.

I'm expecting Shaka to be active in the transfer portal next season, too.  Need a couple starters to replace Morsell and Kuath.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »

I was certainly thinking that way at the end of last season (though I wouldn't have called myself a projo). The season and excitement thus far affirm the choice made, and I'm excited as all get out about it,

And, I wish that McD's AA (Garcia) and that highly sought after transfer (Carton) were still here. I'd love to see how they would be doing within Shaka's system. I feel confident they'd be performing at the same level or beyond of our current guys.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
Juan

IMO, the free agency market is going to play a major role in the MU program moving forward. I am looking forward to that time of year far more than the traditional recruiting process. The game keeps changing and I believe MU is well situated to win the transfer recruiting season. Recruiting experienced guys that fit his system is key for real success.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:13 AM »
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
I find a lot a similarities between us a the 2020 Chris Paul Thunder. This is mainly because of how people were doubting us and thought we were gonna be at the bottom of the standings. I don't think we'll be top 3, but I think we can definitely surprise people and make a deep Big East Championship run. This team is made for MSG, I can feel it.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
We're not a clinic team, we're a JYD team.  I'm expecting to blow anyone out, but I am expecting to turn every game into a rock fight and compete.  I wouldn't take us -20 vs. Jackson State but I do expect us to cover vs. West Va. 

I agree, but still hold that we looked like hot garbage against SIUE and New Hampshire. That wasn't winning a rock fight, that was surviving a rock fight. Illinois and Ole Miss were us winning rock fights.

Also, I'll push back on the "when he gets talent in here".  IMO the talent is here, it may not be refined, but its here.  I don't see a bunch of Henry's, Maskus's and Joey's walking through the door.  I expect more guys like Sean Jones and Chase Ross who buy in and compete.  This is a culture thing. 

To be fair, this is what I said

just imagine what he can do when he gets more talent and more experience into his roster.

I didn't say there wasn't talent, just imagine what it will be like when he gets more of it and gets the talent more experience.
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
Yes, I haven't had this much fun cheering for Marquette since Vander Blue and the 2010 teams.

I haven’t really cheered for a team since 1977 until last night
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback