[Today at 02:52:17 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Player Jerseys at the Spirit Shop  (Read 4334 times)

MU_4_Life

• Walk-On
Player Jerseys at the Spirit Shop
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
Does anyone know if the players get a cut of these as part of the NIL changes?

https://spiritshop.marquette.edu/category-s/212.htm

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Player Jerseys at the Spirit Shop
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »

Logically they'd have to right? I mean MU's smarter than making athletes waive NIL rights for spirit shop stuff...
Maigh Eo for Sam

toolio

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
It would seem they do (and women as well)…

With a specific player’s name and number on the jersey, this is an NIL deal for players.
https://twitter.com/JohnLeuzziMU/status/1460724903355854848

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »
It would seem they do (and women as well)…
 https://twitter.com/JohnLeuzziMU/status/1460724903355854848

Getting my fiancé a womens jersey for Christmas. They've never sold those to my recollection, it's awesome that they're doing that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:03:41 PM »
I'd be interested to know what percentage the athlete gets.  I think I'd be more inclined to get one if I knew they were getting a decent amount.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
Glad to know that our athletes are getting a cut instead of just being used, as had been the case for 100+ years at universities everywhere.

I just wish our jerseys were better looking. Others might like 'em, but I've decided they are pretty blah when compared to some of the real good unis we've had in the past.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 12:08:23 PM »
Glad to know that our athletes are getting a cut instead of just being used, as had been the case for 100+ years at universities everywhere.

I just wish our jerseys were better looking. Others might like 'em, but I've decided they are pretty blah when compared to some of the real good unis we've had in the past.

I'd be down for a redesign.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
2011-2016 will always be my favorites.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
I'd be interested to know what percentage the athlete gets.  I think I'd be more inclined to get one if I knew they were getting a decent amount.
I read somewhere that Michigan football players would be getting about 10 per jersey-which is about 8% of the price.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »

Agreed!  Bring back the barber pole sides!  MU was synonymous with that design. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »
Agreed - Time for a redesign!

The current uniforms look pretty good on the court, but I think that's largely due to the big swaths of color on the shorts.  The jerseys alone are too bland.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 01:22:59 PM »

Why yes in 1921 when like 20 people would show up and the players would actually get their degree and there was no pro option they were being used. Come on 82, I know you're passionate on this but 100+ years? Realistically it's about 40 where just the absolute top athletes were being used and closer to 20 where pretty much all high major athletes were being used.
Maigh Eo for Sam

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

In the past, schools could sell jersey's but couldn't have the players name on the back, just the number.  So when Wade was in school, you could buy things with the #3 but it wouldn't say Wade above the number.

Now, with NIL, you can add the players name and they can get a cut.  Thought this would have been done back in August, but maybe there were delays in getting product in house.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »
Bring back NCAA Basketball 2K.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
In the past, schools could sell jersey's but couldn't have the players name on the back, just the number.  So when Wade was in school, you could buy things with the #3 but it wouldn't say Wade above the number.

Now, with NIL, you can add the players name and they can get a cut.  Thought this would have been done back in August, but maybe there were delays in getting product in house.

supply chain issues are really the story of the moment

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »
Looks like these player jerseys are printed to order.  So we won't see a pile of #42 Michael Kennedy jerseys on the clearance table in the Spirit Shop in April.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »

Always amused how all the names were recorded by the in game broadcasters. Just had to set the roster to the correct names.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 09:29:33 PM »
Getting my fiancé a womens jersey for Christmas. They've never sold those to my recollection, it's awesome that they're doing that.

This is the first time I can recall them ever selling a Women's jersey.  My daughter would have loved a Sarina Simmons jersey many years ago as Sarina was always her favorite :).  I have a Hiedeman CT Sun jersey - maybe I need to get an MU Women's jersey for myself now too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 09:50:10 PM »
Why yes in 1921 when like 20 people would show up and the players would actually get their degree and there was no pro option they were being used. Come on 82, I know you're passionate on this but 100+ years? Realistically it's about 40 where just the absolute top athletes were being used and closer to 20 where pretty much all high major athletes were being used.

Ok, I’ll accept this, though maybe closer to 50 years. The point’s the same.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 07:56:21 AM »

Yes.

I don’t have a gaming console. But I’d buy one if this came out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »
Yes.

I don’t have a gaming console. But I’d buy one if this came out.

Yeah.  I bought a PS5 almost a year ago.  It's basically just collected dust since.  I had thought about selling it for a profit, but when they announced that an NCAA football game will eventually be coming out, I figured I'd just let it continue to collect dust until that happens.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »

Ask Ulice Payne if he was being used. The students getting used are the ones who want an education but have to mortgage their life away in student loans to get it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 08:15:35 AM by muwarrior69 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »

I guess we'll agree to disagree there. But 50yrs ago there wasn't much money in college athletics plus from what it sounds like they were more integrated into the general student body so I'm hard pressed to believe they were being taken advantage of any less so than the other students on full rides. I could see it when GTown and UNC became national brands in the 80s that people were buying up merchandise like crazy, and suddenly media deals became massive etc but 70s? Meh.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 08:24:51 AM »
I guess we'll agree to disagree there. But 50yrs ago there wasn't much money in college athletics plus from what it sounds like they were more integrated into the general student body so I'm hard pressed to believe they were being taken advantage of any less so than the other students on full rides. I could see it when GTown and UNC became national brands in the 80s that people were buying up merchandise like crazy, and suddenly media deals became massive etc but 70s? Meh.

OK ... I'll gladly amend again to the 1990s or 2000s or even 2010s if that better meets your criteria.

The point is the same: Athletes getting compensated for use of their NIL was years overdue.

Ask Ulice Payne if he was being used. The students getting used are the ones who want an education but have to mortgage their life away in student loans to get it.

Yes, on the second point. The first is moot.

Thankfully, athletes finally are getting a small slice of the cake they bake ... though I know you prefer that the coaches, ADs and others get to snarf down every bite.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 08:28:30 AM »

This is my biggest question, and why so far I've been more interested in stuff like the Morsell Blue shirt from Darryl Morsell's Campus Mogul link. I know the player negotiated that and is marketing it himself.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.