[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Duke does it again  (Read 3419 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Duke does it again
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
DWI charges for Banchero and Coack K's grandson.  If true they should be gone. 

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Re: Duke does it again
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 09:14:41 AM »
Totally agree. I have a feeling K tosses his grandson under the bus on this one.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:20 AM »

1. Banchero didn’t get DWI. He got the worlds dumbest charge if aiding and abetting DWI.

2. He would never be tossed off the team. Suspended for it? Yes. Kansas kid got like 3 games.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »
How many games did Few miss for Gonzaga?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »
1. Banchero didn’t get DWI. He got the worlds dumbest charge if aiding and abetting DWI.

2. He would never be tossed off the team. Suspended for it? Yes. Kansas kid got like 3 games.

Oh...well maybe Banchero was railroaded?  Hasn't been the first time for that University. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 09:33:14 AM »
Banchero was charged with aiding and abetting a DWI, which oftentimes means the owner of the car gave the keys to another impaired person to drive.  Not sure that was the case here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 09:38:58 AM »
Banchero was charged with aiding and abetting a DWI, which oftentimes means the owner of the car gave the keys to another impaired person to drive.  Not sure that was the case here.

Yeah think that’s usually the case. I think it can also be charged just by simply being drunk as well and choosing to ride with.

To my knowledge this charge almost always gets tossed out in court.

Banchero lacked a bit of judgment. But other than that, it’s not gonna amount to much for him.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »

How many should he have missed?  DWI is extremely serious.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
I agree.  I thought it should be 10 games, plus 10 games salary, plus public service.    Gonzaga thought differently and set the bar. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Yeah think that’s usually the case. I think it can also be charged just by simply being drunk as well and choosing to ride with.

To my knowledge this charge almost always gets tossed out in court.

Banchero lacked a bit of judgment. But other than that, it’s not gonna amount to much for him.

Fair enough.  But this is a poor start to Coack K's swan song.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 09:48:26 AM »
BAC of 0.8. These will both get tossed.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article255858341.html

This implies otherwise: In North Carolina, if you’re under 21 and get charged with a DWI it’s an automatic conviction even if you’re under 0.8.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

Lol
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
Wasn't Coach K's grandson in the news for something else in the last couple of years too?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 11:28:19 AM »
Wasn't Coach K's grandson in the news for something else in the last couple of years too?

He microwaved a parrot.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »
Apparently it’s Banchero’s car, which in NC is aiding and abetting DWI. He’s in the back seat. He may well walk if it goes to trial.
Coach K’s grandson is toast, if they had reason to stop and reason to do further tests. He’s underage and probably it’s strict liability for that, .08 doesn’t come into it.
The stop was at 1:10 am- I would imagine there are multiple violations of team rules.
Thanksgiving will be interesting in the family this year - the grandson should be extra-careful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »
I agree.  I thought it should be 10 games, plus 10 games salary, plus public service.    Gonzaga thought differently and set the bar.

Technically, it was 3 games because he was suspended for their two exhibitions. I know the value of those is nothing, but that's the on paper punishment. I think 4 would've been okay (not right, but okay) because it would've taken him out of the Texas game. I think if Texas was the fifth game on the schedule, he would've sat for 6 instead of 3. He was going to be back for their first major game no matter what. And frankly, that's not a real punishment when you tailor it to your own advantage.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »
Sounds like a case of RWB for Banchero, hey?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »
Technically, it was 3 games because he was suspended for their two exhibitions. I know the value of those is nothing, but that's the on paper punishment. I think 4 would've been okay (not right, but okay) because it would've taken him out of the Texas game. I think if Texas was the fifth game on the schedule, he would've sat for 6 instead of 3. He was going to be back for their first major game no matter what. And frankly, that's not a real punishment when you tailor it to your own advantage.

I believe one of the podcasts I listen to said that Gonzaga for years has been doing the one "secret scrimmage" and one exhibition game.  They were scheduled to do the same, but when Few got his DWI they ditched their "scrimmage" and added a second exhibition game so that they could give him a 3 game suspension, of which were the two exhibitions and he would be back for the Texas game.

Nothing like sending a message to the young adults you're supposedly molding.  "Your actions have consequences, kids.  Well, except if we're playing a big basketball game.  Then we'll figure it out."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
How many should he have missed?  DWI is extremely serious.

It should have been a hell of a lot more than 1 regular season game and some exhibitions. Especially when this wasn't his first dalliance with DUI up there.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
Sounds like it's Thanksgiving every day at the Duke gym.  Aside from Coach K and his drunk driving grandson, the kid's mother (K's daughter) is an Assistant AD in the Duke Athletic Department.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »
Well in light of the fact that this is Coach K, and years ago in his infinite wisdom and class he excoriated DIllon Brooks for "showboating, and had a profound and detailed conversation about his future career and what it means to be a student-athlete, I fully expect Banchero and his grand-kid to not only be kicked off the team, but perhaps write Aristotelian dissertations about what it means to represent Duke University.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »
One game will suffice
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
One game will suffice

when the next weekly bag drop happens at the Duke Basketball house, Banchero's cut will be reduced by 10%. That will show him.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”