2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gameday Atmosphere  (Read 27185 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Gameday Atmosphere
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 02:03:42 PM »
Was jump around actually written by a Madison frat boy?

No. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »
Kind of wish they would quietly retire the playing of "Jump Around" in the 2nd half. If you're going to rip off someone else's shtick, at least steal something that's not so recognizable to the locals.

And this was driven home to me last night. Two guys in row in front of me and 2 seats over. Marquette guy decked out in blue and gold, his guest wearing Wisconsin sweatshirt. At the conclusion of "Jump Around" UW guy turns to his MU pal and says "do you guys play 'On Wisconsin ' and ' Varsity ' too?
Classic Badger fan. The world revolves around them.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
Classic Badger fan. The world revolves around them.
better dead, than red

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 02:12:42 PM »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »
No it really isn't a Wisconsin thing.  Again, if people pay attention to college football nationally, they know about Jump Around and Wisconsin regardless of what your friends and co-workers say.

Now it may be simply a trivial fact to some, but it is still known for that.

I did google it.  It does look like a fun tradition.  The Wisconsin local news outlet doing an in depth report on it said SI listed it second only to Iowa’s “wave” as a great college football tradition.  I have to admit I didn’t know the wave started there either. 

As a peripheral college football fan I guess I should have known that.  On a side note when I first googled “jump around” ND was second to Wisconsin for playing that song.   So I think that lends more credibility to those who want to stop playing it at MU games.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 02:44:13 PM »
I did google it.  It does look like a fun tradition.  The Wisconsin local news outlet doing an in depth report on it said SI listed it second only to Iowa’s “wave” as a great college football tradition.  I have to admit I didn’t know the wave started there either. 

As a peripheral college football fan I guess I should have known that.  On a side note when I first googled “jump around” ND was second to Wisconsin for playing that song.   So I think that lends more credibility to those who want to stop playing it at MU games.

You should have paid better attention.  The wave you're thinking of isn't the same as the one that Iowa does.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 02:55:33 PM »
You should have paid better attention.  The wave you're thinking of isn't the same as the one that Iowa does.

Yeah, the Iowa wave is a lot more awesome.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »

Ha!  They didn’t go in-depth on the wave.  It was mentioned in passing.  I’ll do more research. 

All these programs I don’t give a crap about apparently have national traditions I need to learn about. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2021, 03:08:03 PM »
Yeah, the Iowa wave is a lot more awesome.

100%

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »
Ha!  They didn’t go in-depth on the wave.  It was mentioned in passing.  I’ll do more research. 

All these programs I don’t give a crap about apparently have national traditions I need to learn about.

The "wave" started at the U of Washington. The "Wave" at Iowa is when everyone in the stadium turns to the Children's Hospital that overlooks Kinnick and waives to the kids watching. It's a new thing but very, very cool.

As much as it pains me, Wisconsin has owned Jump Around. Broadcasts come back from the commercial break between quarters early to show it.

One thing I remember from MU was showing a montage video that included the student clapping over their heads and going back and forth while doing it from the Al days. Does that still happen? Yelling "Give 'Em Hell Shaka" would be cool too as an homage to the Al days.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
The "wave" started at the U of Washington. The "Wave" at Iowa is when everyone in the stadium turns to the Children's Hospital that overlooks Kinnick and waives to the kids watching. It's a new thing but very, very cool.

As much as it pains me, Wisconsin has owned Jump Around. Broadcasts come back from the commercial break between quarters early to show it.

One thing I remember from MU was showing a montage video that included the student clapping over their heads and going back and forth while doing it from the Al days. Does that still happen? Yelling "Give 'Em Hell Shaka" would be cool too as an homage to the Al days.

Just watched an Iowa local news outlet do a 3 minute piece on the wave (I have a ton of free time today).  That is really cool. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »
It certainly is known to be "theirs" by people outside of the state.  You have to live under a rock not to know that UW football has made "Jump Around" pretty relevant for the past 25 years.  It's shown on pretty much every week during football games and visiting fans (and players) make it part of their gameday experience.

I dont disagree that its a famous tradition.  Its one of the big CFB traditions of the last 20 years I won't disagree with that.  HOWEVA...

Agreed.  Because of UW football.

This I disagree with.  It was a top 5 single on the charts (when charts were still a big deal).  The album it was on went multi-platinum because of it.  Its one of the most famous songs of the 90s and was around for over 5 years before the tradition ever started at UW.  Its played at many sporting events because its an extremely well known, seminal song without UW ever touching it.  Thats like if Thunderstruck before MU games becoming some massive tradition well known all over and people saying Thunderstruck is well known and popular cause of MU.

That being said, the MU version is also played out.  Rick Smith was fun, but I wish that had died with the Bradley Center.

This thread has shown that MU desperately needs some help with Gameday.  Everything is old and tired (none of it is a proper dyed in the wool tradition) and not befitting a major program with a huge budget playing in an NBA arena.  Hell, the thread has focused more on other school traditions than MU game experience.

Also, if you're going to an early season Marquette game wearing a Wisconsin shirt, you're a loser.  I'd say the same if you were at the Kohl Center wearing yellow last night.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
No.

So that whole Badger hate week story is a completely fake article? Damn I thought it was real
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2021, 04:36:05 PM »

That being said, the MU version is also played out.  Rick Smith was fun, but I wish that had died with the Bradley Center.

Last night when condensation paused the game right after the tip, it became a mini-bat moment and the DJs scrambled.  Rick started jumping to random music and the place went nuts.  That was a "We're Back" moment for me. 

I really missed being at those games.  So glad to have it back.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »
Kind of wish they would quietly retire the playing of "Jump Around" in the 2nd half. If you're going to rip off someone else's shtick, at least steal something that's not so recognizable to the locals.

And this was driven home to me last night. Two guys in row in front of me and 2 seats over. Marquette guy decked out in blue and gold, his guest wearing Wisconsin sweatshirt. At the conclusion of "Jump Around" UW guy turns to his MU pal and says "do you guys play 'On Wisconsin ' and ' Varsity ' too?

It's really wild that people think that wisconsin started that, and they're the only ones who do it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2021, 04:59:27 PM »
If we could avoid ever playing drakes "way to sexy" at a student "rave" at a family basketball game ever again, that would be awesome. The students looked cringed by it, the adults looked cringed by it, etc.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
If we could avoid ever playing drakes "way to sexy" at a student "rave" at a family basketball game ever again, that would be awesome. The students looked cringed by it, the adults looked cringed by it, etc.

So true.  That's gotta go.

EDIT:  My buddy at the game (a Whitewater grad) said at the time "This is so trashy."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:03:58 PM by BrewCity83 »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »
It certainly is known to be "theirs" by people outside of the state.  You have to live under a rock not to know that UW football has made "Jump Around" pretty relevant for the past 25 years.  It's shown on pretty much every week during football games and visiting fans (and players) make it part of their gameday experience

85% of the people in the northeast of the country don't know where Wisconsin the state is located, much less that a House of Pain song is exclusively "theirs" to be played at a football game.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
85% of the people in the northeast of the country don't know where Wisconsin the state is located, much less that a House of Pain song is exclusively "theirs" to be played at a football game.

As I said, they pay attention to college football they do.

And I didn’t realize that people in the northeast were so ignorant about geography.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2021, 05:20:14 PM »

huh? So many kids from the NE end up at Madison after they're denied admission at an Ivy, NYU, Duke, Vandy, UVA, Northwestern, MIT, etc...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »
Leave it to UW students to be the first of their kind to jump up and down to a song that tells you to jump up and down.  They truly are the Harvard of the Midwest.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2021, 05:46:37 PM »
Leave it to UW students to be the first of their kind to jump up and down to a song that tells you to jump up and down.  They truly are the Harvard of the Midwest.

Is 'clap for credit' still a thing?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
Is 'clap for credit' still a thing?

Yeah but it means something different at uw-Madison
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »
MU did a gameday survey a few seasons back and that's why things were kept or added. Less band was what the student's wanted, iirc.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2021, 06:16:08 PM »

That is a testament to our public schools.