[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gameday Atmosphere  (Read 27263 times)

The Lens

• All American
Gameday Atmosphere
« on: November 10, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
Let's think of this as an open letter to MU game day ops from their most passionate fans

Wags mentioned the continued use of Where the Streets Have No Name.  I am ok with it bc they've deemphasized it to the point where it only plays as names are announced and they use other music for intro highlights.  But I get his point, it's been around for 20+ years!   Expanding on that, here are a few likes / dislikes:

Like: The Kill Game, lean into Havoc, brilliant
Love: LOSE YOURSELF IN THE FIGHT --- I may have cried, amazing
Hate: Professor of the Game, I get it, we're a school and you've sold it but it kills all the enery

In general, and I can't believe I'm saying this but...we need to watch some tape from the TC era.  We need more "Hot" Timeouts.   Cotton Eyed Joe, whatever.  I missed the student rave last night (if they did it) but that deserves it's own timeout, it can't share with Prof of the Game.   

Also, nice turnout by the students last night.  If that was a BC game, I think they upperdeck would have been 1/2 full.  That's a good showing on a Tuesday vs. SIU-E and coming off of 7 years of Wojo.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:45:03 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Gameday Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
I don't know what any of this means. Could you elaborate?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 10:46:35 AM »
Let's think of this as an open letter to MU game day ops from their most passionate fans

Wags mentioned the continued use of Where the Streets Have No Name.  I am ok with it bc they've deemphasized it to the point where it only plays as names are announced and they use other music for intro highlights.  But I get his point, it's been around for 20+ years!   Expanding on that, here are a few likes / dislikes:

Hate: Professor of the Game, I get it, we're a school and you've sold it but it kills all the enery

In general, and I can't believe I'm saying this but...we need to watch some tape from the TC era.  We need more "Hot" Timeouts.   Cotton Eyed Joe, whatever.  I missed the staudent rave last night (if they did it) but that deserves it's own timeout, it can't share with Prof of the Game.

Whenever they do Prof of the Game I just sit and think about how this is probably the one and only game they’ve ever attended. Maybe that segment could be done at halftime instead.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Whenever they do Prof of the Game I just sit and think about how this is probably the one and only game they’ve ever attended. Maybe that segment could be done at halftime instead.

I'm sure that's true for some or even most but I had some rabid basketball fans as professors when I was a student. Out of curiosity, do faculty/staff get discounted tix at MU? Here at TAMU we get free nosebleed tickets to the worst football game (FCS Prairie View A&M this season) and free tickets to a cupcake for both men's and women's basketball game every year. Sometimes they do two free women's games. No employee discount on tickets. I'm curious if other schools do more to encourage their faculty/staff to attend games.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »

In general, and I can't believe I'm saying this but...we need to watch some tape from the TC era.  We need more "Hot" Timeouts.   Cotton Eyed Joe, whatever.  I missed the student rave last night (if they did it) but that deserves it's own timeout, it can't share with Prof of the Game.   

Also, nice turnout by the students last night.  If that was a BC game, I think they upperdeck would have been 1/2 full.  That's a good showing on a Tuesday vs. SIU-E and coming off of 7 years of Wojo.

They did it in the second half. Our huddle got a spotlight, SIUE's did not, which made me chuckle.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
The production feels a little stale. I don't love the in-game "host" concept for what MU does. Don't know if it adds much.

The "Student Section Party" timeout makes me cringe. Soooo forced.

I'm sure that's true for some or even most but I had some rabid basketball fans as professors when I was a student. Out of curiosity, do faculty/staff get discounted tix at MU?

Yes, there's a discount. And any donations can be auto-deducted from their paycheck.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »
Does the pep band not play in the 2nd half anymore?!? Too much DJ Snack Daddy.

The "Student Section Party", most students just stand around. Does anyone studentseven know the song or beat? They looked lost like everyone else. The lights off was sort of neat during it.

Halftime was excellent!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:07:44 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
liked it for years but its so exhausted at this point. time to get rid of thunderstruck tip off music.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 11:26:26 AM »
Student section showed up last night—great to see. More band….it’s a college game, not an NBA game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »
Student section showed up last night—great to see. More band….it’s a college game, not an NBA game.

I agree way more band!! Yet, seems like the DJ spins mixes does that happen at NBA/Bucks games?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »
I hope FS1 is a heck of a lot better than FS2. Simkins is lame, but not as lame as peddling him as a "three-time NBA champion." He wasn't even on the playoff roster for two of them.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »

This is a good song for intro.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »

I moved seats this year to the corner closest to the band, so I am one of the few people who want less band.

The atmosphere last night was good for a game vs SIUE on a tuesday. It would have been empty with the previous regime was still in charge.

Also of note, the more recent wojo assistant coaches all lost last night, all as home favorites. LMU, Albany, and Pitt.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
I moved seats this year to the corner closest to the band, so I am one of the few people who want less band.

The atmosphere last night was good for a game vs SIUE on a tuesday. It would have been empty with the previous regime was still in charge.

Also of note, the more recent wojo assistant coaches all lost last night, all as home favorites. LMU, Albany, and Pitt.

I assume you're referencing Presutti?  If so, I don't think it's fair to hang a loss (or a win) on the Assistant AD of Scouting. 

That being said, Capel is in big trouble - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gets let go before the season is out.  It'll be interesting to see if both Wojo and Capel make their way back to Duke to "mentor" Scheyer. 

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »
Kind of wish they would quietly retire the playing of "Jump Around" in the 2nd half. If you're going to rip off someone else's shtick, at least steal something that's not so recognizable to the locals.

And this was driven home to me last night. Two guys in row in front of me and 2 seats over. Marquette guy decked out in blue and gold, his guest wearing Wisconsin sweatshirt. At the conclusion of "Jump Around" UW guy turns to his MU pal and says "do you guys play 'On Wisconsin ' and ' Varsity ' too?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 01:09:45 PM »
Kind of wish they would quietly retire the playing of "Jump Around" in the 2nd half. If you're going to rip off someone else's shtick, at least steal something that's not so recognizable to the locals.

And this was driven home to me last night. Two guys in row in front of me and 2 seats over. Marquette guy decked out in blue and gold, his guest wearing Wisconsin sweatshirt. At the conclusion of "Jump Around" UW guy turns to his MU pal and says "do you guys play 'On Wisconsin ' and ' Varsity ' too?

I maintain that MU played Jump Around well before UW.  But no one can debate that UW has made Jump Around famous.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
That would only be locals recognizing this fact only.  Most people from out of state don’t even follow UW anything unless we play them in basketball.  Is there a song at Indiana or Illinois football games like jump around we shouldn’t play during our basketball games either? 

It’s a song and it’s not “theirs” to most of us out of towners. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Jump Around is played in thousands of Arenas all over the country.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »
That would only be locals recognizing this fact only.  Most people from out of state don’t even follow UW anything unless we play them in basketball.  Is there a song at Indiana or Illinois football games like jump around we shouldn’t play during our basketball games either? 

It’s a song and it’s not “theirs” to most of us out of towners. 

It certainly is known to be "theirs" by people outside of the state.  You have to live under a rock not to know that UW football has made "Jump Around" pretty relevant for the past 25 years.  It's shown on pretty much every week during football games and visiting fans (and players) make it part of their gameday experience.

Jump Around is played in thousands of Arenas all over the country.

Agreed.  Because of UW football.

I get that it may have developed separately at Marquette, but I kinda wince when I hear it played at Marquette games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
It certainly is known to be "theirs" by people outside of the state.  You have to live under a rock not to know that UW football has made "Jump Around" pretty relevant for the past 25 years.  It's shown on pretty much every week during football games and visiting fans (and players) make it part of their gameday experience.

Agreed.  Because of UW football.

I get that it may have developed separately at Marquette, but I kinda wince when I hear it played at Marquette games.

If I polled everyone at work tomorrow who happened to be football and basketball fan they would not know this. None of my friends who are rabid sports fans would know this.   It really is a Wisconsin perspective thing.  You have to give a crap about Wisconsin sports  (love them or hate them) to even recognize this.  Nationally no one notices or cares.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
In this World of Wokeness, why isn’t there an attack on the use of Jump Around?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
I'm all for eliminating the band.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
Was jump around actually written by a Madison frat boy?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 02:01:30 PM »
You have to live under a rock not to know that UW football has made "Jump Around" pretty relevant for the past 25 years

Clearly living under a rock.  I know this now, but only because you Wisconsin folks repeat it here ad nauseam.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 02:03:11 PM »
If I polled everyone at work tomorrow who happened to be football and basketball fan they would not know this. None of my friends who are rabid sports fans would know this.   Tt really is a Wisconsin perspective thing.  You have to give a crap about Wisconsin sports  (love them or hate them) to even recognize this.  Nationally no one notices or cares. 

No it really isn't a Wisconsin thing.  Again, if people pay attention to college football nationally, they know about Jump Around and Wisconsin regardless of what your friends and co-workers say.

Now it may be simply a trivial fact to some, but it is still known for that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:05:47 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback